Ping at DSG

dcfasdcfas Tempus FugitMembers Posts: 860 ✭✭
So, looking to buy some Ping i210’s at Dick’s, possibly. Wondering if anyone knows about fitting and shaft upgrades. I’ve got some gift cards that make it worthwhile to purchase there. Otherwise I would probably not. Any info appreciated.

Comments

• jeff1727jeff1727 Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    I believe DSG gift cards are good at Golf Galaxy as well. If you have one close, you could get fit there. They would have a ping fitting cart while DSG might not.
  • dcfasdcfas Tempus Fugit Members Posts: 860 ✭✭
    jeff1727 wrote:

I believe DSG gift cards are good at Golf Galaxy as well. If you have one close, you could get fit there. They would have a ping fitting cart while DSG might not.

Yeah. Unfortunately the GG we had closed up shop and the nearest one is hours away, I believe. May have to just bite the bullet and go somewhere else.
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,943 ✭✭
    edited Jan 13, 2019 6:02pm #4
    The DSG by me has a ping fitting cart. They don’t have all the options my local fitting center does but it might get you close enough.

Or pay for a fitting somewhere reputable and buy though DSG with your gift cards.

Driver: PXG Gen 2 0811 XF 14*
    FW: Ping G400 SFT 5w
    Hybrids: Exotics XRail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne H

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    Make the drive to the GG and schedule a fitting in advance. You will get for better than probably too.
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • mcgeec79mcgeec79 mcgeec79 Members Posts: 178 ✭✭
    I agree with comment above, you could pay for a fitting by someone you trust and then just take the specs to Dicks and do a Web Custom Order. In they system they will have the bulk of whatever Ping offers. I have done this before.
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Posts: 1,988 ClubWRX
    All depends on the fitter at dsg. My son worked at Dick’s and he had to get ping certified, but the department manager was a PGA professional that did great fittings. I’d ask some questions, and if not satisfied go to gg. But ask the same questions at gg because there’s some incompetence there also.
    TaylorMade M6 Driver
    Cobra F9 Fwy
    PXG 19 Hyb
    PXG 0311t Irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges
    Scotty Cameron 009 Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
    Some good advice here. Thanks to all.
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    I have a GG right around the corner from a Dicks in my little corner of the world, and it all comes down to who you get for the fitting. The guys at GG are "generally" more knowledgeable, but you never know. I was looking for a pair of sneakers this weekend and went into the local Dicks which had the shoes I wanted but not in my size. They called down the road and that store had my size so I asked them to hold them for me. Stopped by the "Golf Section" on my way out - almost non-existent, and no one working in there. It was like a ghost town, and if I'd have asked for help they would've most likely pulled someone from the hunting/fishing department to "answer my questions".

Went down the road to pick up the shoes, and stopped by their golf section. All new old stock still at almost original price, and I cringed at what I overheard the supervisor training what appeared to be a new employee about how to value used clubs. I usually get better at the local GG, but not by much.

I agree with the people who said go pay for the fitting, ask what the best they can do is for whatever you're fit into, and then try to order from Dicks so you can use the gift cards. If the fitter can give you a competitive price, save the gift cards for balls/range finder/shoes/gloves or whatever other consumable items.
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
    halliedog wrote:

I have a GG right around the corner from a Dicks in my little corner of the world, and it all comes down to who you get for the fitting. The guys at GG are "generally" more knowledgeable, but you never know. I was looking for a pair of sneakers this weekend and went into the local Dicks which had the shoes I wanted but not in my size. They called down the road and that store had my size so I asked them to hold them for me. Stopped by the "Golf Section" on my way out - almost non-existent, and no one working in there. It was like a ghost town, and if I'd have asked for help they would've most likely pulled someone from the hunting/fishing department to "answer my questions".

Went down the road to pick up the shoes, and stopped by their golf section. All new old stock still at almost original price, and I cringed at what I overheard the supervisor training what appeared to be a new employee about how to value used clubs. I usually get better at the local GG, but not by much.

I agree with the people who said go pay for the fitting, ask what the best they can do is for whatever you're fit into, and then try to order from Dicks so you can use the gift cards. If the fitter can give you a competitive price, save the gift cards for balls/range finder/shoes/gloves or whatever other consumable items.

I’m likely to do this. My first step is to wait until I get my swing back this spring. Doesn’t make sense to get fit when I haven’t swung a club in months (I live in the great Northeast). Then I need to find a shop with a good fitter who is a retailer, and get the fitting with the clubs cost vs. the Dick’s cost otd. In the end I’m not going to get a poor fitting for clubs I’m likely to play for the next several years. I could always use the cards, which total a couple hundred bucks.
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    Another option to consider: sell your ~$200 giftcards on cardpool.com or raise.com for ~$180 (I believe you can set the price) then put that money towards your fitting and then buy a used set on ebay that match your specs. Plenty of used i210 sets selling for ~$500 range lately.