Cobra F9 irons!!!!!!

1235
6

Comments

  • kabal57kabal57  478WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 478 Greens
    Joined:  #122
    lang30 wrote:

    kabal57 wrote:


    Can anyone post some up close pics of the soles at different angles?

    They look odd to me and I can't get a good idea of what they look like from the pics online





    Thank you. I thought they had a funny looking bump on the sole. That looks really odd. How is the turf interaction with that thing on the bottom vs flat?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • lang30lang30 Hawkeye  335WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 335 Greens
    Joined:  #123
    kabal57 wrote:

    lang30 wrote:

    kabal57 wrote:


    Can anyone post some up close pics of the soles at different angles?

    They look odd to me and I can't get a good idea of what they look like from the pics online





    Thank you. I thought they had a funny looking bump on the sole. That looks really odd. How is the turf interaction with that thing on the bottom vs flat?


    I have very little outdoor experience at this point, but I think turf interaction will be similar to my prior irons 714 ap1. We will see once I get more time, With all the melting I may get out next week again.
    Posted:
    G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Ping G410 5-UW KBS Tour x
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
    Taylormade Spider X
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR  148WRX Points: 61Handicap: 11Members Posts: 148 Fairways
    Joined:  #124
    Just bought this set for my dad. He loves em.
    Posted:
  • sharkharksharkhark  1691WRX Points: 129Members Posts: 1,691 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #125

    On -, @Les Strokes said:

    Has anyone tested the F9's against the CF16 or 19?

    Hi, I own original apex in graphite and tried the new cf19 and it was longer than my apex but not significant. I did not get the huge gains those got going from either apex to cf16 or 19...
    Then the salesman went away and said hit this you'll hate me for the looks...
    I saw a bulky iron with back sticking out visibly.
    The immediate first swing went from 157 seven iron to 170. I then hit several over 170 with such ease and so high and so straight. Several went 180 or just under.
    It was shocking. They started to look better lol

    I actually love a square look and sideways or from bottom I love them it's just that chunk sticking out I'm not sure.

    Posted:
  • sharkharksharkhark  1691WRX Points: 129Members Posts: 1,691 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #126

    On -, @buckeyewalt said:

    Went back and hit the f9 for a second time. Being a graphite player, I really didn't like the Atmos R flex shaft. To me it was real whippy compared to my Recoil R flex in my CF16. That said, I tried the club but with a steel shaft and really liked the feel and distance, but I need/want graphite. Still on the fence, we'll see.

    I'm a user of graphite due to former right arm pain. They offer recoil smac wrap the nice current black shaft as part of a order. I don't think it's even much of a cost if at all.

    Posted:
  • sharkharksharkhark  1691WRX Points: 129Members Posts: 1,691 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #127

    On -, @collingsom1a said:

    Force_Majeur wrote:


    boggyman wrote:

    Are the 9s that much an improvement or better than the 8s??

    I like the f8's and could have bagged them. I would not be able to play f9 though solely for aesthetic reasons. The sole is visible on the 7 iron at address. They are near-hybrid in size.

    For those being critical of the sizeof the F9, just cool it. It's the ultimate outcome that matters. Take your smug attitude somewhere else, please. Tired of reading where people turn their noses up at different clubs, as if they have the corner on the market of what looks new. In other words, if you cant say something nice, get out of here!!!!

    The person who will enjoy this club is the person who is vertically challenged with ball flight. They could care less what the club looks like if it hits shots they never dreamed they could hit.

    One of the worst replies I've ever read on golfwrx. To tell others including me, that looks have no bearing is ridiculous.
    If looks didn't matter there wouldn't be such a variety of sizes etc.
    Years ago golf digest had a iron that rated well. I looked at it on the golf store and it didn't sit right to my eye. Looked awkward.
    I bought them on sale anyhow... Only to find results pretty good... But I would fidget and be uncomfortable. I sold them for a big loss.
    To say that a big fat end sticking out the back should be ok to every single golfer is not a great statement. This is a forum to discuss the likes and dislikes of those here looking at them.
    I myself loved the performance but could I get past that chunk sticking out? I dunno. Don't be so condescending. Be understanding of preferences in looks. I don't need to see a blade. But it's almost a hybrid iron.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Pack7483Pack7483  641WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 641 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #128

    On -, @Z1ggy16 said:

    If anybody converts the 4i into a driving iron... I'd be interested in how that goes.

    Got one on order with the recoil smackwrap shaft. Not sure what shaft I will end up putting into it. Thinking about bending to 18.5* and a half inch longer shaft.

    Posted:
  • buckeyewaltbuckeyewalt  147WRX Points: 90Handicap: 13Members Posts: 147 Fairways
    Joined:  #129

    On -, @sharkhark said:

    On -, @Les Strokes said:

    Has anyone tested the F9's against the CF16 or 19?

    Hi, I own original apex in graphite and tried the new cf19 and it was longer than my apex but not significant. I did not get the huge gains those got going from either apex to cf16 or 19...
    Then the salesman went away and said hit this you'll hate me for the looks...
    I saw a bulky iron with back sticking out visibly.
    The immediate first swing went from 157 seven iron to 170. I then hit several over 170 with such ease and so high and so straight. Several went 180 or just under.
    It was shocking. They started to look better lol

    I actually love a square look and sideways or from bottom I love them it's just that chunk sticking out I'm not sure.

    I love my CF16 and like you I tried the Apex 19 but didn't get the big increase in distance let alone any significant forgiveness over the CF16. I too don't like the added material sticking behind the iron but the distance is for real. Still on the fence.

    Posted:
  • Ref-oregRef-oreg  174WRX Points: 37Handicap: 18Members Posts: 174 Bunkers
    Joined:  #130

    I am about to order a set of F9 irons. Would like the Arccos Smart Sensors (the screw-in type, not the ones embedded in the grips). If I order a set of seven irons will Cobra include a full set of 14 sensors? If yes, do I need to order a full set of seven irons to get 14 sensors? I only need six irons in my bag.

    Posted:
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4  529WRX Points: 175Lefty Boomers Posts: 529 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #131

    This thread has made me question my G700 irons. I hit the F9 and F9 one length at PGA and must admit I really liked the feel and distance. Definitely starting to put the wheels in motion.

    Posted:
  • krutoikrutoi  532WRX Points: 95Handicap: 9Members Posts: 532 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #132

    Loved these irons. The best GI irons I've hit to date. Traded in G700 for these.

    Posted:
    Cobra F8 Blue Volition Driver, M4 3hl wood, Epic 3 Hybrid, Srixon u85 5 and 6 Utility Irons, Apex Pro 2019 6-Pw irons, Wilson 8802 putter, Mizuno S18 50 degree wedge, 54 RTX Cleveland Wedge, SM 7 D grind Vokey wedge
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LobberLobber  2516WRX Points: 201Members Posts: 2,516 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #133

    I bought a 7 iron when they first came out built to my specs. Loved how easy they were to hit, feel and distance. Not crazy about look coming from players cab irons. Posted as much earlier in this thread. Decided to take it out the last couple of rounds and was really impressed. Getting about 175 with my 7 iron which is a fullyclub longer. Forgiveness is excellent and feel off the face is soft. I quickly got over the “looks” and am rallythinking of picking up the rest of the set. I’m a 6hcp, getting older and not practicing as much do to work schedule and am at a point where performance will have to trump ego

    Posted:
  • freddi22clfreddi22cl  19WRX Points: 22Members Posts: 19 Bunkers
    Joined:  #134

    They look terrible ,and I'm a Cobra guy

    Posted:
  • LobberLobber  2516WRX Points: 201Members Posts: 2,516 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #135

    And they perform. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

    Posted:
  • raheelcraheelc  93WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 93 Fairways
    Joined:  #136

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Posted:
  • Pack7483Pack7483  641WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 641 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #137

    On -, @raheelc said:

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, Illinois 6169WRX Points: 1,455Handicap: 10Members Posts: 6,169 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #138

    I haven't had any Cobra irons for a long time but these have peaked my interest.

    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

    Snell MTB X


    Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • Pack7483Pack7483  641WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 641 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #139

    Love my one lengths! I switched the ones with the kbs tour 90 to kbs tour 105. Much better dispersion, and they fit better now distance wise with the wedges that have the 120s. I kept the kbs 80 in the one length 5 iron and it works amazing. I also just recieved my "Rickie Fowler" style VL 4i and it is a rocket! Love that club. Best driving iron /fairway wood replacement I have ever tried. The AD IZ 95 shaft is legit!

    Posted:
  • raheelcraheelc  93WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 93 Fairways
    Joined:  #140

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

    Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

    Posted:
  • Pack7483Pack7483  641WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 641 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #141

    On -, @raheelc said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

    Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

    I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

    Posted:
  • Stevens24Stevens24  152WRX Points: 87Members Posts: 152 Fairways
    Joined:  #142

    On -, @raheelc said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

    Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

    Yes as it is required to make the one length system function properly.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • raheelcraheelc  93WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 93 Fairways
    Joined:  #143

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

    Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

    I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

    Cool, thanks for the clarification. I keep thinking whether I should go the fitting route, or just order a stock set up. I was fitted some years ago for Callaway X-hot irons, and everything was pretty much stock except the lie angle, which was 2 degrees up. My steelhead XR's are stock configuration.

    Posted:
  • lang30lang30 Hawkeye  335WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 335 Greens
    Joined:  #144

    On -, @raheelc said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

    Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

    I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

    Cool, thanks for the clarification. I keep thinking whether I should go the fitting route, or just order a stock set up. I was fitted some years ago for Callaway X-hot irons, and everything was pretty much stock except the lie angle, which was 2 degrees up. My steelhead XR's are stock configuration.

    If you choose to order without getting fitted, just be aware the standard lie angle is 1 degree more upright in the Cobra F9 irons than both x-hot and xr irons.

    Posted:
    G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Ping G410 5-UW KBS Tour x
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
    Taylormade Spider X
  • HuskyFanHuskyFan  123WRX Points: 41ClubWRX Posts: 123 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #145

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    Love my one lengths! I switched the ones with the kbs tour 90 to kbs tour 105. Much better dispersion, and they fit better now distance wise with the wedges that have the 120s. I kept the kbs 80 in the one length 5 iron and it works amazing. I also just recieved my "Rickie Fowler" style VL 4i and it is a rocket! Love that club. Best driving iron /fairway wood replacement I have ever tried. The AD IZ 95 shaft is legit!

    Saw some discussion on this on previous pages and I’m curious to try one. How did you get Cobra to build it?

    Posted:
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1940WRX Points: 266Handicap: 17ClubWRX Posts: 1,940 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #146

    You guys are killing me. The F9's sound like the perfect irons for me. I picked up the F9 woods because I am so tired of mishits and low balls, and they are the best I have ever hit. If these irons are as good as the fairway woods, unreal.

    Posted:

    Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54, & 58 Wedges
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

  • LHGolf4LHGolf4  529WRX Points: 175Lefty Boomers Posts: 529 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #147

    I caved in and ordered a set, took them to the range and they are about as long as anything I have hit. They feel and sound really solid, not too loud. Looking forward to the first round with them.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • raheelcraheelc  93WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 93 Fairways
    Joined:  #148

    On -, @lang30 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    On -, @raheelc said:

    Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

    Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

    Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

    I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

    Cool, thanks for the clarification. I keep thinking whether I should go the fitting route, or just order a stock set up. I was fitted some years ago for Callaway X-hot irons, and everything was pretty much stock except the lie angle, which was 2 degrees up. My steelhead XR's are stock configuration.

    If you choose to order without getting fitted, just be aware the standard lie angle is 1 degree more upright in the Cobra F9 irons than both x-hot and xr irons.

    Cool, thanks for the info. I'd really like to try these out first before committing, but being in NYC doesn't help much, since there's not many local golf stores to go and try them out at. :-(

    Posted:
  • Pack7483Pack7483  641WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 641 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #149

    On -, @HuskyFan said:

    On -, @Pack7483 said:

    Love my one lengths! I switched the ones with the kbs tour 90 to kbs tour 105. Much better dispersion, and they fit better now distance wise with the wedges that have the 120s. I kept the kbs 80 in the one length 5 iron and it works amazing. I also just recieved my "Rickie Fowler" style VL 4i and it is a rocket! Love that club. Best driving iron /fairway wood replacement I have ever tried. The AD IZ 95 shaft is legit!

    Saw some discussion on this on previous pages and I’m curious to try one. How did you get Cobra to build it?

    I just ordered a 4i stock and sent it to the peoples clubs. He had a 15% off deal on shafts during the masters so he did it to my specs. AD IZ stiff 95 at 39.5 inches and bent to 18.5*. Now Cobra is offering it if you call in. I got an email from them about it.

    Posted:
  • krutoikrutoi  532WRX Points: 95Handicap: 9Members Posts: 532 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited May 2, 2019 #150

    Does anyone has issues launching the 5 iron with that strong loft?

    Posted:
    Cobra F8 Blue Volition Driver, M4 3hl wood, Epic 3 Hybrid, Srixon u85 5 and 6 Utility Irons, Apex Pro 2019 6-Pw irons, Wilson 8802 putter, Mizuno S18 50 degree wedge, 54 RTX Cleveland Wedge, SM 7 D grind Vokey wedge
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4  529WRX Points: 175Lefty Boomers Posts: 529 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #151

    On -, @krutoi said:

    Does anyone has issues launching the 5 iron with that strong loft?

    I did not, plenty of height when I took them to the range. 5 iron is the longest iron in my bag, I use 3 and 4 hybrids after that.

    Posted:
6

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.