JPX 919 Tour vs. Cobra King Forged CB/MB

cml694

Has anyone compared these two sets head to head? Been able to hit the JPX 919 Tour multiple times indoors but haven't came across the CB / MB set yet. I owned MP 18 MBs earlier this year which I really liked but was only playing once or twice a month with no practice so I got rid of them for some P770s which have performed alright but are a little bit clunky to me. Also thinking about throwing the Miura CB 1008 in the mix which I've hit briefly.

Any input is appreciated!

I've hit both in my local Roger Dunn just with stock shafts ($-Taper black in the Cobras and I believe it was either a PX 6.0 or a KBS Tour S in the Mizuno, I forget). The Cobras are noticeably thinner in the top line and have a shorter blade length, even in the CBs (CBs and MBs blend fairly seemlessly at address). The Mizunos are more forgiving I'd say, probably even more than the Cobra CBs. Feel was great with both. Mizunos probably a touch softer in my experience and you're definitely feeling it when you don't pure the sweet spot in the Cobras (that shorter blade length man). I liked both but I'd probably pick the 919T in a head to head based on my subjective experience (though I'd probably give the nod on looks to blacked out Cobras). If you liked your MP-18s I'd say give the 919 Tours a go, they're definitely a little more forgiving (I'd say they sit between the MP-18MB and SC) and don't look remarkably different at address aside from a touch longer blade length.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

I've hit both in my local Roger Dunn just with stock shafts ($-Taper black in the Cobras and I believe it was either a PX 6.0 or a KBS Tour S in the Mizuno, I forget). The Cobras are noticeably thinner in the top line and have a shorter blade length, even in the CBs (CBs and MBs blend fairly seemlessly at address). The Mizunos are more forgiving I'd say, probably even more than the Cobra CBs. Feel was great with both. Mizunos probably a touch softer in my experience and you're definitely feeling it when you don't pure the sweet spot in the Cobras (that shorter blade length man). I liked both but I'd probably pick the 919T in a head to head based on my subjective experience (though I'd probably give the nod on looks to blacked out Cobras). If you liked your MP-18s I'd say give the 919 Tours a go, they're definitely a little more forgiving (I'd say they sit between the MP-18MB and SC) and don't look remarkably different at address aside from a touch longer blade length.

Thanks for the input! Good to know that the transition between CB to MB is pretty seamless. In the pictures, the CBs look a lot bigger but that might just be because the sole is wider. I checked out the ForgedTec and they looked great but also a bit big so thought the CB / MB would be a good compromise. I keep going back to the JPX but love the look of the Cobra.

On a separate note, recognized those chairs...used to play Olivas multiple times a month.

Thanks for the input! Good to know that the transition between CB to MB is pretty seamless. In the pictures, the CBs look a lot bigger but that might just be because the sole is wider. I checked out the ForgedTec and they looked great but also a bit big so thought the CB / MB would be a good compromise. I keep going back to the JPX but love the look of the Cobra.

On a separate note, recognized those chairs...used to play Olivas multiple times a month.

Haha, yep that's Olivas alright! Great course that I haven't played recently enough. I should make more of an effort to get out there but I hate traffic on the 101 on weekends. Fantastic course.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

The Mizuno JPX 919 tours are amazing. I'd go with them they feel better and look better. Can't go wrong either way though. You mentioned p770's I loved the 760's but TM couldn't customize them the way I wanted so didn't buy them.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

• 4 months later...

I started this season with the 2016 Cobra MB/CB and moved to the JPX 919 Tour a couple of weeks ago. The Cobras are slightly more forgiving but the Mizunos are a bit more workable. It's nice having the 919 Forged in the 4 and 5 for some extra forgiveness in long irons and bending them one degree weak in order to flow with the rest of the set reduced the offset. Ultimately, the shaft makes the biggest difference because they are quite comparable. I prefer mid launch and mid spin (Modus 120) to low launch and low spin (CTaper 120). The turf interaction is slightly better in the 919 Tours but the difference isn't astromonical.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I currently game the 919T but have hit both. I liked everything about the cobras. They’re good looking and plenty forgiving. Paired with the s-tapers they launched pretty high for me. That said, I loved the mizunos. 919T were simply the same or better in all the requisite categories. both look great with hardly any offset, but prefer the in bag aesthetic of the 919T. I think forgiveness is a wash b/w the two. Both feel pure, but 919T is a little softer. Prefer the lower launching, but climbing flight from the 919T. Distance was a wash. Can’t go wrong with either.

I game 919T currently, and have a set of Cobra CB/MB coming in shortly so I'll give an on course assessment next week.. But this is what I'll say about them.

919T have more offset and are slightly longer heel to toe than the CB/MBs. The 919T are not Mizunos softest forging.. the MP18 feel night and day softer than the 919T.. I even feel the 718MB felt smoother than the 919T.. My biggest gripe about the 919T are the 8-PW have a goose kneck where the hosle transitions to the. leading edge which gives the appearance of more offset which really doesn't suit my eye.. That being said they are forgiving and have a great flight..

I am hoping to love the CB,/MBs as I just don't feel comfortable when I set my 919T behind the ball.. I really wanna love the 919T but the devil on my shoulder yells in my ear when I address the ball lol

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you can go wrong with either, they are probably 2 of the best players irons available right now and wouldn't give the advantage to one over the other. I gamed MP-18's, hit the 919's, and currently have a 2019 Cobra MB/CB set of irons in my bag. I like how Cobra has only made small changes to their players irons (Forged Tour, CB/MB). They have great designs that work well and haven't blown up the designs in search for something radically new. Customer service and the ability to directly order from Cobra and control specs is what put it over the top for me. Communication was top notch and they handpicked heads to hit my sw targets and everything is always right on spec per my order. I have no complaints regarding my Mizuno's but I get much more personal service from Cobra.

> @Hubijerk said:

> I don't think you can go wrong with either, they are probably 2 of the best players irons available right now and wouldn't give the advantage to one over the other. I gamed MP-18's, hit the 919's, and currently have a 2019 Cobra MB/CB set of irons in my bag. I like how Cobra has only made small changes to their players irons (Forged Tour, CB/MB). They have great designs that work well and haven't blown up the designs in search for something radically new. Customer service and the ability to directly order from Cobra and control specs is what put it over the top for me. Communication was top notch and they handpicked heads to hit my sw targets and everything is always right on spec per my order. I have no complaints regarding my Mizuno's but I get much more personal service from Cobra.

Thank you. That is awesome to hear. They were certainly incredible when I hit them and it's great to hear the company side is awesome as well.

I agree. They are both awesome. I have had or have both in the bag. Forgiveness and distance are similar. Shape and bag appeal tough to beat with anything else on market. If you prefer black then you have your answer. If you prefer matte silver then 919. It then really comes down to size. Not that it effects it too much but the CB/MB are or appear to be much smaller at address. Heel to toe especially. Both are really great irons and the best of 2018/19 in my opinion.

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50

SC Kombi S 

I have not hit the Cobra's, but the 919T is my favorite iron I have played, all boxes checked for me. I sold one of my 900F back up sets and a few other clubs anticipating the MP20, but after seeing them, used the funds for another set of 919T, custom with blackout LZ.

Amazing irons.

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

> @Warrick said:

> I have not hit the Cobra's, but the 919T is my favorite iron I have played, all boxes checked for me. I sold one of my 900F back up sets and a few other clubs anticipating the MP20, but after seeing them, used the funds for another set of 919T, custom with blackout LZ.

> Amazing irons.

I found them quite soft and they look perfect behind the ball. I am a fan of the Cobras too though! Tough choice.

I have hit both a ton. I decided on the Cobra CBs for one reason. I liked the top line better. The Mizunos have less of a tapered top line.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I have hit both a ton. I decided on the Cobra CBs for one reason. I liked the top line better. The Mizunos have less of a tapered top line.

The only reservation I have is the shaft. I think I'll have to go with the set of PX 6.0 I have in there because the stiff felt a bit too active and the spin/PH were very high. I think I might have a bad time into the wind with the stock stiff. The 4i is scary small compared to iBlade though. I middle my iBlade 4 95% of the time though so I don't think I'll have an issue.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I have hit both a ton. I decided on the Cobra CBs for one reason. I liked the top line better. The Mizunos have less of a tapered top line.

>

> The only reservation I have is the shaft. I think I'll have to go with the set of PX 6.0 I have in there because the stiff felt a bit too active and the spin/PH were very high. I think I might have a bad time into the wind with the stock stiff. The 4i is scary small compared to iBlade though. I middle my iBlade 4 95% of the time though so I don't think I'll have an issue.

I really like the KBS $ taper. I love how it feels. I get a little bit too much spin with them, or maybe it is just the slightly higher launch I am not used to. I thought these would bring the spin down as that it what it is advertised to do. Maybe my swing is just off a bit right now as well, but I love how they feel. I get really good ball speed with them and I have not lost any distance.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 4 weeks later...

After a get wrenching battle back n forth, I am keeping 919t in the bag and selling Cobra cb/mb. Pm me if anyone interested. Love the cobras but just a Mizuno iron guy

• Like 1

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50

SC Kombi S