Another pin in ?

What happens if your ball gets stuck between the hole and the pin and doesn't drop on its own?

Comments

• Colin LColin L Members Posts: 1,973 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 10:22pm #2

If any part of the ball is below the surface of the green, your ball is holed. Rule 13.2c
    If your ball is resting against the flagstick but no part of it is below the surface of the green it is not holed. If you move it when you take the flagstick out there is no penalty and you must replace your ball on the lip of the hole even the ball dropped into the hole.

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,934 ✭✭

@Colin L said:
    If any part of the ball is below the surface of the green, your ball is holed. Rule 13.2c
    If your ball is resting against the flagstick but no part of it is below the surface of the green it is not holed. If you move it when you take the flagstick out there is no penalty and you must replace your ball on the lip of the hole even the ball dropped into the hole.

I thought I knew the rule but apparently, I do not. I thought the rule was if the is wedged between the stick and hole and you wiggled the flagstick and the ball goes in the hole, it's holed.

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,011 ✭✭

@LeoLeo99 said:

@Colin L said:

I thought I knew the rule but apparently, I do not. I thought the rule was if the is wedged between the stick and hole and you wiggled the flagstick and the ball goes in the hole, it's holed.

that was the old rule, this was one that changed this year

• rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,651 ✭✭

To be correct - if part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green AND resting against the flagstick, then it is holed. If both of these conditions are not met, it is not holed.

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,312 ✭✭

@rogolf said:
    To be correct - if part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green AND resting against the flagstick, then it is holed. If both of these conditions are not met, it is not holed.

I'm struggling to think of how the ball could be within the circumference of the hole and NOT be resting against the flagstick (assuming the flagstick is IN the hole LOL).

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,934 ✭✭

@davep043 said:

@LeoLeo99 said:

@Colin L said:

that was the old rule, this was one that changed this year

Thanks. I'm glad that was the old rule or else I've been doing it wrong for many years.

• HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,303 ✭✭

@nsxguy said:

@rogolf said:

I'm struggling to think of how the ball could be within the circumference of the hole and NOT be resting against the flagstick (assuming the flagstick is IN the hole LOL).

He didn’t say within the circumference of the hole.

edited Mar 23, 2019 2:46am #9

@HitEmTrue said:

@nsxguy said:

@rogolf said:

Well then, I guess now I don't understand how it could be "below the surface of the putting green and still be resting against the flagstick" and be holed without being within the circumference of the hole..........

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Titleist AVX
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,171 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 23, 2019 2:54am #10

@Colin L said:
    If your ball is resting against the flagstick but no part of it is below the surface of the green it is not holed. If you move it when you take the flagstick out there is no penalty and you must replace your ball on the lip of the hole even the ball dropped into the hole

I think it would be physically impossible to be resting against the flagstick and have no part of it below the surface of the green.

Edit. NSX posted while I was typing.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
    edited Mar 23, 2019 3:16am #11

@nsxguy said:

@HitEmTrue said:

@nsxguy said:

@rogolf said:

Well then, I guess now I don't understand how it could be "below the surface of the putting green and still be resting against the flagstick" and be holed without being within the circumference of the hole..........

If it’s partially below the surface is the putting green, and NOT resting against the flagstick, it is embedded in the side of the hole. Not holed?

@Socrates said:

@Colin L said:
    If your ball is resting against the flagstick but no part of it is below the surface of the green it is not holed. If you move it when you take the flagstick out there is no penalty and you must replace your ball on the lip of the hole even the ball dropped into the hole

I think it would be physically impossible to be resting against the flagstick and have no part of it below the surface of the green.

Edit. NSX posted while I was typing.

Flagstick not centered in hole. Wind blowing it to the side.

@HitEmTrue said:

@nsxguy said:

@HitEmTrue said:

@nsxguy said:

@rogolf said:

If it’s partially below the surface is the putting green, and NOT resting against the flagstick, it is embedded in the side of the hole. Not holed.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place ? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Titleist AVX
    edited Mar 23, 2019 3:36am #14

@nsxguy said:

@HitEmTrue said:

@nsxguy said:

@HitEmTrue said:

@nsxguy said:

@rogolf said:

If it’s partially below the surface is the putting green, and NOT resting against the flagstick, it is embedded in the side of the hole. Not holed.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place ? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Something distracted me! :)

• Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 3,814 ✭✭

@nsxguy said:

@rogolf said:

The ball could be resting against something else, something that is not normally in/on the hole and should not be there. A rare occasion but possible. In fact, there was a thread years ago possibly on this forum how to Rule if a ball is resting on top of a large leaf on top of the hole. Also I vaguely remember a case where the flag was detached from the flagstick and fell onto the hole and a ball ended up lying on top of the flag.

Golf is a game in which even against all odds may be plausible...