Epic Flash 4W - Use the 3 or 5W?

third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So there is no 4 wood in the new Callaway Epic Flash line, only a 3/5 with adjustable hosel.

Which makes more sense to use as a 4 wood? 5 wood tuned strong or 3 wood weak? The shaft will obviously be longer on the 3W as well...

Comments

• txgolfer45txgolfer45 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

Personal preference. I have my Epic Flash 7 wood at -1 or 20 degrees. My other fwy is a Taylormade RBZ 3hl at 17 degrees with a 3 fwy shaft.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft
    Fairway woods: Taylormade RBZ 3HL, Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood
    Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i
    Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 6-AW, DG XP R shaft
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 degree
    Putter: Vons SS398

• Indygolfer85Indygolfer85 Members Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 6:11pm #3

Do you want the club face to be open (5 wood lofted down) or more closed (3 wood lofted up)? Are you planning on this being a dual purpose club or predominantly for approaching par 5s? I prefer the 5 wood lofted down as it sits a little more open, has a shorter shaft which I can control better, and I find the slightly smaller head to be more appealing behind the ball.

Callaway Rogue SZ 9* 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3w
    TEE XCG6 3h
    Ping i210 4-P 
    Callaway MD4 50*
    Callaway MD Forged 55*
    Callaway PM 60*
    Toulon Atlanta
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I found the Epic a bit hooky so I'd go 5 lofted down. Shorter shaft easier to make good contact as well. They're super long so you'll get all the distance you need.

Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• steveoly32steveoly32 ClubWRX Posts: 60 ClubWRX

Same here. I tend to fight hooks and opted for the standard EF 5W and play it at 17 degrees. It's as long as my Rogue 3W from last season. I also find the EF 5W is much easier to hit off the deck than any 3Ws I've played in the past. Note that I am pretty bad at hitting FWs off the deck to begin with so YMMV.

Callaway Epic Flash 9* GD Tour AD DI 6S
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX Catalyst 70S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50/8, 55/9 DG TT S200
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60/12 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
    Byron Morgan DH89
    Taylormade TP5x
  • bjivebjive Members Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I play the SZ 5W down to 17, works great, can be a little hot at times... i find it does like to turn over, but that has a lot to do with me.

My Bag
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60S
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 18*(playing 17*) Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Srixon U85 3 iron Recoil F4
    Srixon Z785 4 - PW LZ 6.0 
    Vokey SM6 54S & TVD 58M
    Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
    All grips GP TV midsize +1
  • ThinneditThinnedit Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

I play an Epic Flash 3w at D,+1 on the optifit. Loft is 16 and by using the D setting the club plays at ~1/4" shorter, (upright lie) which will play at roughly 42.75" (same length as 4w in the rogue line)
    But with almost all golf clubs. It's personal.
    Why not try both and see what suits your eye.

Epic flash 3wd
    Ping rapture j-spec 5-P+S
    Ping gowin 5
    Golf.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you're a better player you'll probably prefer the 5w opened up to 17* as opposed to 15* closed down.

"You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen."

I'm actually considering this myself as a 4w because I mainly use my driving iron off the tee now unless the fairway is really wide open. Never really need to hit the 3w off the deck but it's also ridiculously low launching and not ideal for stopping on greens. Anything over 230 I'd probably be taking that 4w to it unless I have room to run the ball up then I'd potentially hit the DI (prob not though).

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do the fairways work the same as adjustable drivers? I.e. you have a 5-wood loft with face open or a 3 wood loft with face closed. But when you square the face to get the "4 wood loft" the face in either case is square?

I've also wondered if fairway woods work better when lofted down. It seems like the leading edge would sit closer to the ground (when clubface is squared) with the back of the sole slightly raised up. In my head, this seems preferable to the other way around although maybe the difference is still so small it doesn't matter.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Find a 4 wood.

• BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

@balls_deep said:
    I found the Epic a bit hooky so I'd go 5 lofted down. Shorter shaft easier to make good contact as well. They're super long so you'll get all the distance you need.

This was my experience as well. Flash always tried to go left more, at least in driver.

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bubbtubbs said:

@balls_deep said:

This was my experience as well. Flash always tried to go left more, at least in driver.

I dont lay my clubs flat - I square the face and/or open it open manually depending on my chosen swing/club. Doesnt that mean the degree on the hosel chosen will stick but the fade/draw bias gets erased?

• Natural1Natural1 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

The Flash 5 wood replaced my Titleist 917 4 wood. I started with it at 17 degrees & heavy weight in the back, but have gone back to stock 18 with the heavy weight forward. It's just as long as the Titleist 4 wood and launches better for me (stronger flight with slightly higher launch). Having said that, I'm also fighting a bit of a hook with it.

• Big A HGBig A HG Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 5:45pm #14

I actually did what you are asking, OP. I tried both options and much preferred the 5w tuned to -1 degree. Shaft is important as well. I went with a lower launching/spinning shaft to help aid in the effect of making more like a 4w...the loft still makes it easy to launch. I get much better performance into the wind this way as well with little to no ballooning. So far I've been very happy with this configuration and have a lot of confidence that the club is still easy to hit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file