We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

New golf clubs for a 10 year old

missingfairways ·  
missingfairwaysmissingfairways  2WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2

Hoping to get a little help on clubs for my son this Christmas. He is a 10 year old boy but is big. He is 5 foot 3 and weighs 115. I realize the easy thing to do would be make an appointment and get him fitted, but considering he is very new to the sport, and I don't want to spoil his present, wondering if I should just grab him a set of clubs designed for kids, or move on to regular adult clubs. He may have to choke down on the clubs, but he would also be able to grow into them in the future. I will probably search for some used clubs, but thought I would see if anyone has a strong opinion either way. Thanks in advance.

Posted:

Comments

• Sean2Sean2  31006WRX Points: 223Members Posts: 31,006

I went through this with my son. We started out with US Kids clubs (this was 15 years ago), and they worked our very well. I didn't see much point in going the fitting route as the kid was growing so fast any fitted clubs would only last a season, if that.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MilfordleftyMilfordlefty  782WRX Points: 126Members Posts: 782

Will he play any type of junior competition? I only ask, because if he had a starter set (5-7 clubs) and he sees other kids 14 club bags, well, kids are still kids after all. If just out playing with Dad, a US Kids starter set for his height should work (plus I think there is a little room for growth). Check out their website.

Posted:
    Driver - Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    FW - Ping G400 5W, 16.9° (small -), Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Hybrid - Ping G400 3H,4H & 5H, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Irons - Ping G20 5-9, CFS steel, R flex, -1/4", Black dot lie angle
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth, 46°,50º & 56°, AWT 2.0 R Black dot lie angle, stock length
    Putter - Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip, 35"
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals, 8226WRX Points: 277Members Posts: 8,226

Avoid just cutting something down. Find him a suitable kids set for his size.

Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • ephmenephmen  259WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 259

US kids golf are great.

Posted:
  • tbowles411tbowles411  25468WRX Points: 650ClubWRX Posts: 25,468

US Kids was our start, then I moved to a generic set before I got him some used Callaways. At least get a static fitting so he doesn't have to remember to choke down.

Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**

• MuskieCyMuskieCy Center Cut 401WRX Points: 145Members Posts: 401

Following up with US Kids kudos.

Also, let somebody else coach you son. Just listen to what he tells you to clue what he wants to know.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • project_fishproject_fish  28WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 28

I would also suggest going the US Kids route. Be mindful of the weight of the clubs too, because US Kids has regular and ultralight sets.

Posted:
    Mizuno MP-H5/MP-15/MP-5 Combo Irons
    Mizuno T7 46,52,58 Wedges
    Mizuno JPX900 7 Wood
    Mizuno ST190 TS3 3 Wood
    Mizuno ST190/G Driver
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black Putter

• kekoakekoa  9225WRX Points: 656ClubWRX Posts: 9,225

If your kid was more seasoned, I was going to suggest getting adult heads (GI) paired with the appropriate shaft (recoils) in Sr. flex would probably work great. But since he is fairly new, look into the US Kids TS. I think they make clubs that can fit him. He's huge for a 10 yr old.

FWIW, my son is 9 and plays P770's with KBS jr. steel shafts. Great combo so far.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.