Get Fit or Wait?

2ndCut16 ·  
2ndCut162ndCut16  9WRX Points: 9Members Posts: 9

Late last season, a friend gave me the option of buying a basically brand new set (3 irons has plastic still) of 718 mb/Cb. I love the look of a smaller head so I jumped at the set ( also a self admitted Titleist Fan boy). I paid $800 for the set, which after checking EBay may have been a bit high.

Last season I worked my way from a 21 to a 12 handicap (15-12 with new set). My real question is should I continue to play this set even though I wasn’t fit or would a fitting be worth the potential expense of new irons net of any resale from my current set? This is my 3rd season taking golf seriously, and I’ve committed to lessons (1 every 2 weeks) this winter.

Posted:

Comments

• Sean2Sean2  31366WRX Points: 566Members Posts: 31,366

That is an impressive HI drop. :-)

For your peace of mind, you could take your current irons, see a fitter, and compare them with other irons out there. The fitter would tell you whether or not you would be better off with new irons. For example, I once went for a driver fitting, and when we were done, the fitter said my current driver was just fine and I didn't need a new driver.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. 

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is, and not as it should be. 

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal. 752WRX Points: 82Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 752

The main thing is the shafts. If your flights are high enough and spin enough upon landing, the shafts are likely good.

The condition of the clubs is virtually new according to your description, stuff from eBay is not going to be as nice. You probably got your moneys worth.

Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7960WRX Points: 280Handicap: ScotchMembers Posts: 7,960

Always get fit!! The clubs will fit your swing, vs. your swing fitting the clubs?!

Posted:
    In the bag:

Demoing for 2020.

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524  4525WRX Points: 375Handicap: 2.6ClubWRX Posts: 4,525

What's to say these current irons don't already fit you? I would agree with said above, if you like the heads, maybe just get fit for a shaft. What is it that you are looking for to change out of the set you currently have? That index drop is pretty significant, well done... but are you looking for something more forgiving? Not sure what changes specifically you are looking for here...

Posted:
    Taylormade M2 9.5 2017 Aldila Tour blue 65s
    Ping G400 14.5 Aldila Rogue silver 70s
    Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB X100 AMT SS1x 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50.12, SM6 58.12
    Scotty Cameron NP2 2016 34"

• BogeyParBogeyBogeyParBogey Trying to get better... northern IL 192WRX Points: 80Handicap: not keptMembers Posts: 192

If you're dropping the handicap that far so quickly don't change a thing if you're wanting to minimize score.

Dave

Posted:
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1  829WRX Points: 210Members Posts: 829

I agree with this. With the rate at which you are improving I would say wait until you hit a wall with improvement. Then maybe some tweaks at that point could help you improve a bit more.

Posted:
    WITB

PXG  0811x Oban Tour Limited 04
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    PXG 0317 19 Hybrid Fujikura Pro 2.0 s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4)
    PING Glide 3.0 TS 56/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PING Glide 3.0 SS 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG Mustang 365g single bend
    Snell MTB Black
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 2ndCut162ndCut16  9WRX Points: 9Members Posts: 9

I appreciate the feedback, I’ll probably hold off then on doing anything different. I just started to get the itch here in the east coast.

Driver / Short game practice led to the handicap drop the most, my iron play can be hit or miss, which is where I thought maybe moving to a new iron set might help. The good days are good, the bad days I find myself struggling with the MBs, that may just be a swing flaw

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Posted:
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey  496WRX Points: 227Members Posts: 496

I'd suggest sticking with your current set, yet still get them fit. This means checking and adjusting lie angles, lengths, and checking distance gaps to see if lofts need to be tweaked. Maybe even go so far (gasp!) to see if the swingweights are reasonably consistent. All of this can be done without buying any new equipment at all and gives you great peace of mind that your gear is doing its best to serve you and not hinder you. If you decide to go this route, make sure you're clear to the fitter this is your intention and that you're not really in the market for new gear. You're paying him or her for their time and skill to make your current set as good as it can be for you.

Given how far you've already progressed, it doesn't seem likely that the gear you have is that far out from a good fit. Maybe if you have a particular problem club or two, you could look at something different in terms of a headweight adjustment or a shaft change.

In short, make sure your current clubs are as good and "neutral" as can be for your swing and your body, then go play golf!

Posted:
  • LobberLobber  2491WRX Points: 186Members Posts: 2,491

Get fit please. Too much hit and miss resulting in bad purchases, selling at a loss, etc. I made several mistakes going off what I thought would work only to find out I was in the wrong club after being professionally fit

Posted:
  • groovyduveygroovyduvey  21WRX Points: 16Members Posts: 21

A few years ago I took my beloved Adams mb2s in to get 'fit' to them. I bought them off the self with standard length and lie in stiff flex KBS tour shafts. I was noticing a slightly deeper toe side of my divots.

I was told the shafts and lengths were fine for me. But the fitter bent them upright 2-3 degrees and the lofts were adjusted (mostly weakened 1-2 degrees) to help with gaping and slightly reduce offset. I also had much thicker grips put on (midsize with 3 layers of tape).

I'm glad I did it. Didn't cost me much and was a good learning experience. I believe it has helped me strike my irons better as well.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.