KZG tour evolution irons

Pinchaser

I am looking at retiring my trusty cobra II tour irons after 10 years of

quality service. Have stumbled across KZGs new tour evolution irons (hope to

demo 5 iron later this week). Does anyone have any feedback/review on a full set?

Have trialled single clubs before only to be disappointed the look of other clubs in the

set. thx

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at retiring my trusty cobra II tour irons after 10 years of

quality service. Have stumbled across KZGs new tour evolution irons (hope to

demo 5 iron later this week). Does anyone have any feedback/review on a full set?

Have trialled single clubs before only to be disappointed the look of other clubs in the

set. thx

You won't find much out there that is comparable from a feel standpoint. I haven't hit the evo's, but used to play a set of the original blades and wedges. Soft as butter.

ive played ALOT ALOT ALOT of clubs, and im currently playing the kzg forged ZO's. they are some of the best irons ive hit in a long time. from what i understand they're forged in a old mizuno foundry so they're made in a similar process.

my only complain about kzg irons (and i cant really speak for the tour evo's) is the fact they always seem to have just alittle too much offset than you would expect. Obviously my ZO's have no offset but the rest of the kzg line seems just to have to much

anyways i still dont think you can go wrong with the kzgs

That's why the Tour Evo's were introduced to address the offset complaints from golfers who didn't need it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Just back from a session at the local range. The clubfitter who is hopefully

supplying the tour evolution later this week (has to be shipped downunder)

lent me a KZG ZO blade with DGSL S300 shaft.

Even with a swing that is not firing on all cylinders at the moment this is one brilliant piece of equipment. Have tried several irons recently including cobras' pro MB & CB irons

and titleist Z-MBs. To me this club sits very comfortably along side these other top flight irons. Beautifully balanced, easy to work and amazing feel. Of the other clubs

I mentioned only the cobra MB felt and performed better with the Z-MBs a very close

third but I am splitting straws here. The pro CBs were a bit of a disappointment but

this was probably due to the PX 5.5 shafts which to me just feel dead.

Have played blades in the past but week in week out my swing is not good enough

anymore. If it was, I would strongly consider the ZO blades. As it is I am now really

excited about the tour evolutions.

PS. Would have loved to have tried the titleist Z-blend irons at the recent demo night

but there was only a 9 iron. I know demo days save the OEMs money but if they are

going to produce progressive iron sets it would be great to view a whole set(hence my original post).

• 6 months later...

The Tour Evos rock! Little offset and an amazing look (blade like) for a CB. They have a smallish head and don't look like a shovel. Great club. I currently play ZO blades but have my Tour Evo's ready to go. They're top notch.

F9 Driver, Atoms TS Blue 6S
F9 3-wood, Atmos TS Blue 7S
Hogan VKTR 20*, UST Recoil 85F4
Hogan Edge Irons, KBS Tour-V
Hogan Equalizer 50*,54*,58* Wedges, KBS Tour-V
Odyssey Toulon San Diego Putter
Callaway Chrome Soft Plus

• 3 weeks later...
If you don't mind me asking, how much was your set of KZG ZO's? I'm looking for a pair of blade irons and I am seriously considering KZG along with the Titleist 695 MB's and the Taylormade smoke TP MB.

See PM sent.

F9 Driver, Atoms TS Blue 6S
F9 3-wood, Atmos TS Blue 7S
Hogan VKTR 20*, UST Recoil 85F4
Hogan Edge Irons, KBS Tour-V
Hogan Equalizer 50*,54*,58* Wedges, KBS Tour-V
Odyssey Toulon San Diego Putter
Callaway Chrome Soft Plus

The Tour Evolution are one sweet iron. My fitter had me try a few of the irons and they are solid. They have a multi-step forging process similar to Mizuno and as others have stated the offset is minimal.

I don't know what shaft you are thinking of but FWIW these had the Nippon shafts at a D4 swingweight. They felt evenly balanced throughout the swing and never once felt like I was losing the club.

I don't know how much he charges but I can ask if you wish. I did not want to walk out with a set of irons when all I needed was my driver re-gripped.

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

I've hit them many times before and they dont hold a candle to Miura or Epon. Im not sure how much they cost , but you should consider Miura or Epon if you can swing it. So much better IMO.

You don't have a clue! Do you think because of the amount of money they cost they are better? Not even close!

LOL! Not even close?!?!?! Give me a break. KZG irons shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as epon or miura. I know many who have made the switch and not looked back. Maybe you should try a set of custom built Miuras or Epons and decide for yourself. I have tried KZGs on more than one occassion and they dont even hold a candle to the others. You should brush up on your reading comprehension skills? Where did I mentioned anything about price and more is better? I dont know how much KZGs cost (nor do I care) but based on your comment, they must not be much...so dont get your panties in bunch and start jumping to conclusions.

I have owned more sets than you can count and while im not a sucker, I know what products are worth buying and what feels and performs the best.... KZGs are not it. Sure, they "MIGHT" be better than the typical OEM, but not even close to Epons or Miuras IMO.

You can tell quite a bit about the product based on who carries the line. The shops that carry KZG in NJ/NY are no name shops. Go figure.

I've hit them many times before and they dont hold a candle to Miura or Epon. Im not sure how much they cost , but you should consider Miura or Epon if you can swing it. So much better IMO.

You don't have a clue! Do you think because of the amount of money they cost they are better? Not even close!

LOL! Not even close?!?!?! Give me a break. KZG irons shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as epon or miura. I know many who have made the switch and not looked back. Maybe you should try a set of custom built Miuras or Epons and decide for yourself. I have tried KZGs on more than one occassion and they dont even hold a candle to the others. You should brush up on your reading comprehension skills? Where did I mentioned anything about price and more is better? I dont know how much KZGs cost (nor do I care) but based on your comment, they must not be much...so dont get your panties in bunch and start jumping to conclusions.

I have owned more sets than you can count and while im not a sucker, I know what products are worth buying and what feels and performs the best.... KZGs are not it. Sure, they "MIGHT" be better than the typical OEM, but not even close to Epons or Miuras IMO.

You can tell quite a bit about the product based on who carries the line. The shops that carry KZG in NJ/NY are no name shops. Go figure.

I sorry mr pro who has the touch of Norman, I can see the NY attitude coming out, the little "no name" shops, are some of the best club builders in the world, you probably get all your work done at GG? I mean that sure has a name!

I sorry mr pro who has the touch of Norman, I can see the NY attitude coming out, the little "no name" shops, are some of the best club builders in the world, you probably get all your work done at GG? I mean that sure has a name!

My very first clubmaker was in a back shop at a driving range. He was an anal perfectionist. He never let irons leave unless they were perfect. They may look ok to you, but he could tell when something was wrong. Look, flight, whatever, but guys in small shops work hard at what they do. He was amazing. Much better than any large retailer.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

LOL!!! Some of the best in the world. Can I have some of what you are smoking? Yes, they are the guys fitting indoors using an acheiver and hitting into a net. They carry stuff like Bang Golf, SMT, Snake eyes, etc. <sigh>.

They have tour experience, work and build clubs for PGA/LPGA tour players, have been featured in some of the most notable periodicals (Wall street journal, CNBC, Bloomberg) and use complete state-of-the-art technology like Trackman, SST PURE, Sam Putt Lab, etc. Whoops, I forgot, that's just a few of the credentials of the shop that I use.... Truly "ONE OF THE BEST" around hands down.

When you man up and get a chance to play some of these high end sticks, your feedback "might" be more valuable. Until then, keep on playing with off the rack sticks and throwing your 2 cents out there on things you really have no business commenting on.

Cheers!

My very first clubmaker was in a back shop at a driving range. I was an anal perfectionist. He never let irons leave unless they were perfect. They may look ok to you, but he could tell when something was wrong. Look, flight, whatever, but guys in small shops work hard at what they do. He was amazing. Much better than any large retailer.

I will agree that big box retailers are probably some of the worst builders/club fitters around. I've had my fair share of nightmares in the past and very fortunate to have found the best of the best.

While I won't disagree that Miura irons will feel softer. However, the above statement is ridiculous. No name shops? The Complete Golfer in White Plains is well known in the golfing community and two of their fitters are regarded as "Class A." They also are affiliated with Max Out Golf Labs and have been written about in many magazines. Somehow, I would not classify them as a "no name shop."

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

While I won't disagree that Miura irons will feel softer. However, the above statement is ridiculous. No name shops? The Complete Golfer in White Plains is well known in the golfing community and two of their fitters are regarded as "Class A." They also are affiliated with Max Out Golf Labs and have been written about in many magazines. Somehow, I would not classify them as a "no name shop."

The KZG line isn't just sold anywhere. The president protects her line like a hawk and puts out tremendous stuff. Because a OEM is small it doesn't mean it can't rate. At the 03 or 04 PGA Show the original Evos took the Innovation award from Mizuno for their forgings. They were outstanding. Other boutique brands can run you well over a grand for a set of irons. If you can get a great forged set totally customized for $600 or so, why would you want to spend more for a quality head and shaft that you chose yourself?

Yes, NO NAME SHOPS. While complete golfer isnt a no name shop, I along with a handful of friends have been there. Please dont get me started with that place. Long story short, I had my driver pured there and it came back scorched!!!! You call that CLASS A? That's happened not only me but a number of people! When you play enough golf in the Met area and realize you are not the only golf nut around, you learn a lot about other shops in the area (what they carry, the work that they do, etc.)

I've been to my fair share of fitters (MANY) before I finally found the right place and I've been all over the tri state.... Complete golfer, Custom golf of CT, Greenwich Golf, Etc. and while some may have a decent reputation, they are one in the same IMHO.

Very little selection and indoor fitting. Honestly, who in their right mind would drop 1K+ on sticks by hitting them indoors into a net??? I dont care what technology they are using, everything is simulated and the fitter must rely 100% on the technology they are using b/c they cant see ball flight. Most of that technology is about $2-5K. Might as well throw on a blind fold and pick the clubs at random?

Enough of this already. Let's talk about golf.

I never made any comment on price to start this flaming session. It was the guy who had poor reading comp skills and decided to interpret what I stated as more expensive = better.

Bottom line, epon and miura are much better than KZG. if the guy interested in KZGs can handle the increase in price associated with miuras or epons, he should definitely try it. If not, best of luck with purchasing decision. :)

The KZG line isn't just sold anywhere. The president protects her line like a hawk and puts out tremendous stuff. Because a OEM is small it doesn't mean it can't rate. At the 03 or 04 PGA Show the original Evos took the Innovation award from Mizuno for their forgings. They were outstanding. Other boutique brands can run you well over a grand for a set of irons. If you can get a great forged set totally customized for $600 or so, why would you want to spend more for a quality head and shaft that you chose yourself?

I realize it's not sold everywhere (otherwise it would be oem), and im certainly not saying the product sucks. 600.00???? Are you sure about that? I know someone that spend over 1500.00 on the irons alone which were not PUREd. He got them in CT and recently dumped them for Miuras.

If they retailed for 600.00 I would have never mentioned Epon or Miura. That's like saying I want to purchase a vokey wedge and someone says, forget the vokey, look at Chikara.

But at 1500.00, you have to look at Epon and Miura.

Dang $1500 for a set of irons...you guys need to learn how to find a deal :)

Back to the original topic, aren't the Tour Evo's going to be illegal soon because of the grooves that they have?

TM SIM 10.5 - LA Golf A Series 60

TM SIM Ti 15 - LA Golf A Series 70

Cally OG Apex UW 19 - Smoke Black 80

Cobra One 4 Utility + Forged 6-GW - TT 120 S400

Edison 52, 56 & 60 - TT 120 X100

Odyssey Versa One

Dang $1500 for a set of irons...you guys need to learn how to find a deal :)

Back to the original topic, aren't the Tour Evo's going to be illegal soon because of the grooves that they have?

Pretty sure only if you play on the PGA Tour. I don't think the new groove rule goes into affect (or effect...dammit!) for amateurs for a long time yet, if ever.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W