2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour Player's club yardage/distance

Asleep

as reported in tournament coverage 2009
I thought a thread showing how far tour pros say they hit their clubs might be interesting, and it seems Golf Channel will report these distances throughout 2009.

Ernie Els

205 yards.....5-iron

195 yards.....6-iron

180 yards.....7-iron

160 yards.....8-iron

Note: this represents flat/still conditions for a stock shot, not how far X-player hit his x-iron on a particular shot.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a thread showing how far tour pros say they hit their clubs might be interesting, and it seems Golf Channel will report these distances throughout 2009.

Ernie Els

205 yards.....5-iron

195 yards.....6-iron

180 yards.....7-iron

160 yards.....8-iron

Note: this represents flat/still conditions for a stock shot, not how far X-player hit his x-iron on a particular shot.

Don't know where the Golf Channel is getting the yardages from, but Ernie lists his yardages on his site. They're slightly off, but not too bad.

Driver: 290

3-wood: 255

2-iron: 238

3-iron: 225

4-iron: 212

5-iron: 205

6-iron: 188

7-iron: 178

8-iron: 164

9-iron: 152

PW: 134

SW 54-degrees: 120

SW 59-degrees: 88

AWESOME!! i hit my irons as far as KJ does, minus/Plus a yard....but the question is...Why the hell don't i drive it 300 yards like he does?

Have faith - his driving distance last year was ONLY 286! :D

You can add about 15-25 yards to the driver. They only get 2 shots a round to measure the driver and they may not catch one or catch the rough or use something else off the tee besides the driver on the hole they are measured off of. KJ can routinely hit the ball a legit 300 yards.

As far as irons go, these guys can hit it those distances every single time with ease and are far more accurate whereas a lot of amateurs really have to stripe it to get it that far and they are wild with their accuracy.

3JACK

AWESOME!! i hit my irons as far as KJ does, minus/Plus a yard....but the question is...Why the hell don't i drive it 300 yards like he does?

You can add about 15-25 yards to the driver. They only get 2 shots a round to measure the driver and they may not catch one or catch the rough or use something else off the tee besides the driver on the hole they are measured off of. KJ can routinely hit the ball a legit 300 yards.

As far as irons go, these guys can hit it those distances every single time with ease and are far more accurate whereas a lot of amateurs really have to stripe it to get it that far and they are wild with their accuracy.

3JACK

I disagree......over time, the driving distances should work out to be somewhat accurate. The PGA Tour tries to find holes that players will be hitting drivers, one down wind, one into the wind. I don't think that KJ is a 300 yard hitter.

kj can hit wayy farther if he wants. He is smarter than most of us and only hits at 80% or so. He is a strong guy so he can do way more. also he could probably get 300 out of his driver if he wanted but he usually hits a cut. He was also reported to be playing s300 shafts this week. so if he goes at them too much they will balloon

Don't know where the Golf Channel is getting the yardages from...

They ask the players.

I'm not saying your wrong but then why do Ernie's yardages differ from his official website? His 6iron differs 7yd......thats alot IMO.

The thing i'm actually impressed with is the numbers aren't all that long. You would figure the golf channel would hike up the numbers a little bit, but they seem pretty legit. That's the reason i was asking where they got the numbers from. I didnt know if they asked the players or it was based on shot tracker type data over the years.

They ask the players.

I'm not saying your wrong but then why do Ernie's yardages differ from his official website? His 6iron differs 7yd......thats alot IMO.

The thing i'm actually impressed with is the numbers aren't all that long. You would figure the golf channel would hike up the numbers a little bit, but they seem pretty legit. That's the reason i was asking where they got the numbers from. I didnt know if they asked the players or it was based on shot tracker type data over the years.

I'm sure his website is out of date. He has likely changed both irons and shafts since his website was updated.

They ask the players.

I'm sure his website is out of date. He has likely changed both irons and shafts since his website was updated.

Someone else mentioned lofts as well. I don't doubt they all bend their lofts around. As for me, I'm still up around KJ Choi even after feeling I scaled back on my iron swings... perhaps I should go even more because I'm not exactly hitting GIR like KJ. :)

They ask the players.

Yea very well good be although it states that he is playing the prototypes, but maybe his shaft change to KBS altered his distances slightly.

This thread will be interesting to follow. They put up Brian Gay's and Shigeki's but i forgot to take note of them for the thread. I was surprised that brian gay hit his 4 iron 210yds but only had a 105ss with his driver and carried it barely 240yds. He seemed to hit his irons pretty far for such a short driver of the ball.

3JACK

The yellow head with the big smile ( :D ) at the end of my statement as well as ONLY being in caps denotes a less than serious reply!

I realize Choi can hit the ball 300 yards & know how the numbers are compiled. His driving average last year was 286, which obviously means he has tee shots of 300 plus yards and tee shots of less than 270.

all this is nice to know, but end of the day the key seems to be to hit the 7 iron the same distance 95% of time, making it reliable, no? isn't the distance you hit your 5, 6, 7 iron etc irrelevant unless you can consistently repeat it?

i definitely find the info interesting, but am not really concerned if i hit the ball AS FAR as Ernie Els. as someone mentioned, he hits to that yardage pretty effortlessly while I have to stripe one and hope it actually goes where I want it to at the same time, lol.

They ask the players.
I'm not saying your wrong but then why do Ernie's yardages differ from his official website? His 6iron differs 7yd......thats alot IMO. The thing i'm actually impressed with is the numbers aren't all that long. You would figure the golf channel would hike up the numbers a little bit, but they seem pretty legit. That's the reason i was asking where they got the numbers from. I didnt know if they asked the players or it was based on shot tracker type data over the years.

Yeah, they have said a few times that these were the player's reported yardages --- it's only on that basis that I started the thread. :)

Els' "stock" iron swing may only be 70% effort, while Gay's stock iron swing may be 90%. Still a lot of variables.

I just like to see the yardages and gaps that the players use.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]