2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway's Optifit Driver System

ac49801

I'm looking for a new driver and definitely thought it would be the Tity 905R. I hit it the other day and it was just average (for me). I thought I would look at different brands to see what they had to offer. I came across the Callaway website and they have a new driver fitting system that will be released next month. It is a cart with about 30 different heads (FT-3 and X460) and about 30 to 40 different shafts (flexes and brands). The way I understand it, the shafts fit into the heads somehow, and you can have about 300 different combinations. Because of this new system, I am seriously leaning towards a new Callaway driver, even though I didn't even consider them before. Has anyone heard of this new system and is there anyone that has an FT-3 or X460? Are they good heads (especially the Tour head)?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some articles, and got a flyer in the mail from Golf Galaxy about it. After further review, it looks like it's a tool for stores and club fitters to help golfers find the right combo for them. Kind of like Ping's iron fitting system. I just bought my X-460 last week, so it doesn't look like I'll benefit from this. Oh well, maybe next driver.

Maybe someone else here knows more about it. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Opt-Fit system was only a way for you to test different head & shaft combinations when you are in the store prior to your purchase. Then once you decide on a particular head/shaft combination, and the shaft is installed, then any further reshafting it would just be like any other driver on the market.

That was my interpretation from reading Cally's website

victork you are correct.

The Opti-Fit systems is just for clubfitting. Once you find the right combination, you order the club to that specification. If you want to change the shaft then you will have to go through the normal process of reshafting the club. The idea of the system allows you to get it right the first time - providing Callaway carries the shaft you want - so reshafting should not be necessary.

Currently, have a FT3 Tour and thinking of reshafting the it. The Opti-Fit System will give me the opportunity to try various shafts with a FT3 clubhead. Oppose to today's method, which is reshaft and hope the combination works.

Lee thanks for the confirmation.

Any ideas when the system is going to be lauched and available to the public?

I work for Callaway on the East Coast and I will have my system on Monday. Some got them today!

The retailers/golf courses will receive theirs shortly. It's awesome...if you are in the market for a driver...hunt one down and get fit!

The FT3 heads are in the first shipment..X460 heads come in June...when it's all done...690 different combinations.

Callaway drivers suck. the x460 is a P.O.S. if you want to get a good driver do yourself a favor and try the new Cobra Speed series out.

Cobra F Speed 10.5 stiff Aldila Stock

Titleist 980F 13* and 17*

Cleveland ta-5 4-pw

Callaway forged+ 52*

Cleveland 900 forged 56*

Titleist Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Studio stainless

Hogan Apex tour/Pro V1x

Callaway drivers suck. the x460 is a P.O.S. if you want to get a good driver do yourself a favor and try the new Cobra Speed series out.

Cleveland ta-5 4-pw

Callaway forged+ 52*

Cleveland 900 forged 56*

Hogan Apex tour/Pro V1x

nice post :)

:)

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Cleveland ta-5 4-pw

Callaway forged+ 52*

Cleveland 900 forged 56*

Hogan Apex tour/Pro V1x

Nice objective post!!! :cry: :cheesy: ;)

By the way, I did try the X Speed and the X-460. The X-460 is now in the bag.

;) :cheesy: :) :tongue: :cry:

You must work for Cobra!

I would actually like the Cobra Speed Series drivers if I sliced my tee shots. Why are so few of their tour players using a current Cobra driver? Most are using Titleist or Holmes used a Comp to win at Phoenix.

i do not work for cobra, i just voice my opinion.

Cleveland ta-5 4-pw

Callaway forged+ 52*

Cleveland 900 forged 56*

Hogan Apex tour/Pro V1x

Dude,

I was at my local range this morning crying b/c it is 2 more weeks until my 425 TP arrives. Cally was having a demo day and they had the new system for the FT-3 (not the 460 - he said it would be a couple of weeks before he got it) and a killer launch monitor.

Man - what an awesome system. I ended up testing a 9.5 degree head with the NV, Diamana, Bassara, V2, and ProLaunch. It was awesome to see the launch angle and spin differences for the shafts with "my" swing. For me the Diamana gave to much spin, but was very accurate. The ProLaunch had the least spin and 20 yards on the other drivers, but it tended to lag back on hard swings.

I got to test the difference between the Tour and Regular heads. I liked the system so much, I almost cancelled my TP order. I cannot get used to the muted FT sound.

It was very much like the old Burrows system (I would not be surprised to find out they bought the system from Burrows in bankruptcy) except the shaft goes inside the head.

That's not the approach to take on this site. No equipment really "sucks", people just discuss their preferences and opinions. I'm sure Cobra's are a fine product, the author chose Callaway. Pretty weak dude.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

Pretty bold and short sited post IMO, different strokes for different folks! Sounds like a good poll question to me but, I would put my money on more members preferring Callaway drivers over Cobra.

I have nothing against Cobra and used to own a Cobra 400 SZ Tour, which I thought was a very good club. I feel however, that the newer Cobra's have a real unconventional look at address and could never play one based on that opinion. The new equipment from the major manufacturers is ALL basically good stuff and it usually comes down to personal preferences and sometimes price for most people when they are deciding what to play.

I happened to just demo the Callaway X460 Tour today and thought the face felt very hot and was quite impressed. This comes from someone who was almost set on purchasing a 905R. I didn't care for the Fuji TP 26.3 shaft and will probably try to pick one up with an Aldila NV.

The Callaway quick change shaft fitting system sounds like a great idea for retailers and should make it a lot easier to get the correct fit in a short amount of time.

Driver - TaylorMade Stealth2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS 6.0 60g

3 wood - Sonartec NP99 w/ Matrix Ozik 60R

Rescue - Sonartec TRC 20* w/ Graphalloy ProLaunch Blue 60R

Hybrid - Adams Pro 3,4 & 5 w/ Adila VS Proto 80R

Irons - Callaway 2007 X-Forged 6-P w/ Aerotech SteelFiber i95R

Wedge - Cleveland Black Tour Action 588 56* w/ Dynamic Gold wedge shaft

Putter - Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS 35" Stroke Lab shaft

Just got back from the Golf Show - in Calgary - and Callaway had the Opti-Fit System at the show. Pretty inpressive. You choose the shaft and clubhead setup, they put the shaft in and then tighten it. It feels like the real thing. With this system they are saying the Opti-Fit System clubs will play exactly like a finished club.

Had an opportunity to hit the Diamana Blue Board 63S, UST V2 65S with the FT3 Tour head and a preshafted X460 w/NVS-75S.

My SS is approximately 95mph. The Diamana really felt nice, even with my mortal swing speed, I could feel the Diamana kick. The V2 completely felt complete different. Surprisingly the V2, in a stiff flex, was a little too stiff for me however it did not feel boardy. My launch angle with the V2 was good however I felt the ball speed could be higher. The X460 felt really nice got a nice launch angle and good ball speed.

Liked all the shafts however I will be reshafting my FT3 Tour with a V2 65R. As good as the other shafts are, Diamana is too expensive and the NVS-75S is getting too heavy for me.

Have you tried a V2 75 shaft in any of the heads? I wanted to know if there was any noticeable difference in feel btwn the 65 and 75 gm versions.

I have a similar SS (around 100) and tried the 75S in a 905R and i felt it was a little too stiff for my swing as well. Maybe i'll give a regular flex a try..

I'm looking for a new driver and definitely thought it would be the Tity 905R. I hit it the other day and it was just average (for me). I thought I would look at different brands to see what they had to offer. I came across the Callaway website and they have a new driver fitting system that will be released next month. It is a cart with about 30 different heads (FT-3 and X460) and about 30 to 40 different shafts (flexes and brands). The way I understand it, the shafts fit into the heads somehow, and you can have about 300 different combinations. Because of this new system, I am seriously leaning towards a new Callaway driver, even though I didn't even consider them before. Has anyone heard of this new system and is there anyone that has an FT-3 or X460? Are they good heads (especially the Tour head)?

Try The New ERC III Or The Hot Long Drive Version

Cleveland ta-5 4-pw

Callaway forged+ 52*

Cleveland 900 forged 56*

Hogan Apex tour/Pro V1x

My god how do you hit a driver that is 3 degrees closed as the F speed series is? At least if you are going to tout Cobra drivers use something that has a square face like a 6.5 degree XX Speed.