Callaway I(s) and I(z)

rlheiman

A little review for your enjoyment.

2010 Callaway I(s) & I(z) Golf Balls

Spin and Long

If I had to describe each of the new I series golf balls in one word, I would say that the I(s) is “spin”, while the I(z) is “long”.

102_1182.jpg

First of all Callaway has been using the unique “Hex” dimple pattern for years. I have always liked these dimples because these balls always seems to be least affected by the wind. Now I don’t play in Chicago or on the British Isles where the wind is always howling, but I hate to hit a great shot and watch my ball trail off its intended line because of the wind. There is nothing better than "Hex" dimples for the wind. The "Hex" dimples have been used for a few generations now. In 2010 Callaway introduced the newest line up, the I(s) and the I(z).

102_1184.jpg

I’ll start with the I(z). I got a substantial amount of time in with this one and found little to nothing to complain about. I found it longer than the 2009 I(x) and as long as if not longer than any other ball on the market. The I(z) is a mid to low launch ball that seems to just go and go. It was long without feeling harsh off the driver. Iron shots were also longer and straighter. When it came to wedges they were not super spinners, but still very adequate. I still have not moved over to professional conforming grooves (because I don’t have to or want to) so my wedges were able to put more than ample spin on these golf balls. It felt just a touch softer than the I(x) off the putter. This was one of the couple of improvements I noticed over previous versions. I liked the feel better with the I(z) and thought that the color was a little brighter. I always complained that previous I series golf balls looks so dingy and dirty after just a few holes, these stayed a little brighter white throughout the round.

102_1183.jpg

The I(s) is a real soft spinner. It has a higher launch and higher spin off the driver. Irons were a ¼ club shorter and wedges were spinning off the charts. I hit one wedge and sucked the back off the green almost 20 yards. Again with non-conforming super groove wedges, the I(s) spun as much as any premium ball I have ever played. So if you have moved to the lesser grooves, these might be a great benefit in the spin category. These too stayed brighter white than previous models. The other big area of improvement with the I(s) is the improved feeling in general, especially off the putter. This is a super soft putting ball. I liked it much better than previous Callaway balls.

To me the I(s) and I(z) took previous versions of the I series and moved them further apart. More spin in the I(s) and more distance in the I(z). I think that the I(z) will be a favorite of many top players, while the I(s) will appeal to those who like the softer, spinnier balls(or those who might need them).

As far as the cover durability, I think it is pretty similar to past Callaway tour balls. I would put them up near the top of my list for durability, yet super aggressive grooves will still leave their mark.

102_1185.jpg

I think Callaway designed better golf balls for 2010 and the I(z) might find a home in my golf bag.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, thanks for sharing!

By the way, I would agree you experience is about spot on with mine.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I was just at walmart(getting a kite for my son) but I happened to notice that the new Iz and Is balls were on sale for 39$ I should have gotten some. I might go back today and get the Iz. normally I play last year's tour i. But I could always use a longer ball with less spin off my driver. I don't spin my irons very well or often so the lack of spin isn't to big a deal to me.

Thanks for a good review.

[quote name='golf73' date='26 March 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1269611143' post='2341974']
What I don't understand tho is that te I(s) is the most durrable ball I have ever played and the I(z) is the least durrable ball I have ever played....
[/quote]

It was the same with last years i vs ix. I think it has to do with cover hardness and softness. The softer cover of the i and i(s) flexes and gives more with wedge shots, therefore it doesn't tear or rip. As where the firmer covers of the ix and i(z) don't give as much and therefore tear or shred when struck with wedges.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Nice review.

My findings were exactly similar with the i(z) compared with the ix. Although you are totally right that the ix looked dingy after 12-18 holes where the i(z) doesn't -- did not notice that until you mentioned it and ran to my car to verify.

The i(z) is still long off the tee, great in the wind, pretty durable, yet no longer "clicky". Almost as if the i and ix spawned a new ball with the best of both balls attributes.

I'll be playing it all year, until I demo the Penta.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

I have had the i(s) in the bag now for a week and I am blown away how good this ball is. I was playing TP Reds for the last year and I thought that was a fantastic ball off the tee and very predictable off irons/wedges with pretty low spin. But the i(s) is just a cannonball and like others have said it is incredible how solid it is in the wind. I thought one hole I had over the weekend was a total anomaly when I smashed a tee shot about 320. It was a helping crosswind so I expected a little bit of distance but instead was really surprised how it ripped through the wind and got some roll too. It has been a long, long time since I hit a drive that topped 300.

Later in the round going the other way and the wind across and hurting, I was on a short par 4 (only 340) and again the ball ripped through the wind, got a good roll, and I ended up only 65 from the green. It was incredible.

I really don't find the i(s) with excessive spin. Off wedges I still get a hop/check and very little spin back. It's still predictable enough for me.

I'll be gaming this ball the rest of this year.

Played the Tour i for the past two years, what an amazing ball... sad is now just a memory. :(

Everything I read lead me to believe the new i(z) ball was the answer for me, as soft as last years i, longer than last years ix, and about the same spin as last years i; I truly wanted to love this ball. After almost two dozen i(z)'s, several rounds and heavy testing, I'm sad to report the i(z) simply isn't the ball for me. The feel and sound is strange, not to firm, but weired, it almost sounds like your hitting glass. It's a firm off putter and irons, but a bit softer off the driver.

I have read some folks find the i(z) super long, that wasn't the case for me, not sure why. For me the i(s) and Penta walked over the i(z) with almost every club in the bag, the on exception being my wedges, the i(z) was about two yards longer.

When it comes to spin the i(z) works well with full wedge shots, hits and stops, maybe backs up a foot or two, nice... I like that. However, when it comes to the touch shots, 50 yards and in, the i(z) leaves much to be desired for me. Good news is the i(s) shines here, perfect spin! The i(s) doesn't over spin on full shots either, but it has fantastic spin with partial wedge and touch shots.

I will agree with most comments here, i(z) gets pretty beat up with wedges; tears, cuts and scuffs. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the i(s) is about as tuff as a "spin ball" can be. I have beat the i(s) hard with 58 and 64 Cleveland zip grooves and the i(s) takes it like a champ!

So I'm down to the finals, just two balls remaining to complete my 2010 equipment selection.... the Tour i(s) and the Penta TP... man this is a close race. Both of these balls perform wonderful for me. I'll just have to keep playing them both until a deciding factor surfaces... and then my quest for the perfect ball will have come to close, at least for 2010. ;)

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

If you were coming from the Tour I then the I(s) should be perfect for you. I just saw a 391 yard drive yesterday with the I(z). It has been the longest ball for me, but I know that Els is playing the I(s) so I don't think that it is a slouch by any means. I just felt like it spun too much for me. I have a steep, aggresive attack and impart lots of spin, so for me the I(s) was just a bit too much spin on softer grens.

[quote name='golf73' date='26 March 2010 - 07:45 AM' timestamp='1269611143' post='2341974']
What I don't  understand tho is that te I(s) is the most durrable ball I have ever played and the I(z) is the least durrable ball I have ever played....
[/quote]

I agree with the OP's general assessment of both balls.  I played Tour ix and switched to i(z) some weeks back. Recently carded two of my best rounds with it using my favorite "V" groove LW; spins the i(z) plenty on fast greens.  I haven't had any problems with the cover either.  

IMO there are three types of spin that results from wedge grooves; square impact spin, left and right spin.  I've applied all three with the most common being square impact, and haven't cut a cover yet.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='rlheiman' date='31 March 2010 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1270052220' post='2352705']
If you were coming from the Tour I then the I(s) should be perfect for you. I just saw a 391 yard drive yesterday with the I(z). It has been the longest ball for me, but I know that Els is playing the I(s) so I don't think that it is a slouch by any means. I just felt like it spun too much for me. I have a steep, aggresive attack and impart lots of spin, so for me the I(s) was just a bit too much spin on softer grens.
[/quote]

The reason I felt the i(z) would be perfect for me is because it's been stated that the i(z) has roughly the same short-game spin as the i, and like you, I already have lots of spin with my wedges and am not looking for anymore.:) I had been told by a Callay rep that the i(s) had at least 15% more spin than the i, that turned me off to the i(s). But as real world results have shown with my game, the i(s) is the better of the two, for me that is.

Perhaps I don't have the swing speed to get the full potential from the i(z), my driver average is 103mph. I continued to drive the i(s) about 5 yards longer than the i(z), which in the big picture really had nothing to do with my choice. The short game spin and feel always beats distance for me when choosing a ball.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='G-Bone' date='31 March 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1270051416' post='2352687']
Played the Tour i for the past two years, what an amazing ball... sad is now just a memory. :(

Everything I read lead me to believe the new i(z) ball was the answer for me, as soft as last years i, longer than last years ix, and about the same spin as last years i; I truly wanted to love this ball. After almost two dozen i(z)'s, several rounds and heavy testing, I'm sad to report the i(z) simply isn't the ball for me. The feel and sound is strange, not to firm, but weired, it almost sounds like your hitting glass. It's a firm off putter and irons, but a bit softer off the driver.

I have read some folks find the i(z) super long, that wasn't the case for me, not sure why. For me the i(s) and Penta walked over the i(z) with almost every club in the bag, the on exception being my wedges, the i(z) was about two yards longer.

When it comes to spin the i(z) works well with full wedge shots, hits and stops, maybe backs up a foot or two, nice... I like that. However, when it comes to the touch shots, 50 yards and in, the i(z) leaves much to be desired for me. Good news is the i(s) shines here, perfect spin! The i(s) doesn't over spin on full shots either, but it has fantastic spin with partial wedge and touch shots.

I will agree with most comments here, i(z) gets pretty beat up with wedges; tears, cuts and scuffs. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the i(s) is about as tuff as a "spin ball" can be. I have beat the i(s) hard with 58 and 64 Cleveland zip grooves and the i(s) takes it like a champ!

So I'm down to the finals, just two balls remaining to complete my 2010 equipment selection.... the Tour i(s) and the Penta TP... man this is a close race. Both of these balls perform wonderful for me. I'll just have to keep playing them both until a deciding factor surfaces... and then my quest for the perfect ball will have come to close, at least for 2010. ;)
[/quote]

I really tried to like the Penta but after 6 rounds I gave up. At first I thought I was just off for a day or two, but consistently the Penta was shorter than the TP Red. It was an improvement around the greens compared to a TP Red, but not enough to sacrifice 10+ yards off the tee. Forget it. It's too bad TM is discontinuing the Red, it leaves a big gap between the Black and Penta. Luckily, the I(s) came along.

[quote name='CasualLie' date='31 March 2010 - 09:07 PM' timestamp='1270084046' post='2353813']
[quote name='G-Bone' date='31 March 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1270051416' post='2352687']

[/quote]

I really tried to like the Penta but after 6 rounds I gave up. At first I thought I was just off for a day or two, but consistently the Penta was shorter than the TP Red. It was an improvement around the greens compared to a TP Red, but not enough to sacrifice 10+ yards off the tee. Forget it. It's too bad TM is discontinuing the Red, it leaves a big gap between the Black and Penta. Luckily, the I(s) came along.
[/quote]

CasualLie,
Do you by chance know what your swing speed is with your driver?

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='G-Bone' date='31 March 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1270089002' post='2354068']
[quote name='CasualLie' date='31 March 2010 - 09:07 PM' timestamp='1270084046' post='2353813']

[/quote]

[/quote]

CasualLie,
[/quote]

Last time I was fooling with a flightscope, it was 103-107. Depending on the shaft, I do better with a stronger S flex, or a weaker X flex. Playing the Motore F3 in X and liking that a lot. I may give the Penta another go around this summer as to be fair to the Penta the air was cooler when I gave it a try.

In all honesty if I shoot 75 and go back through my round thinking about where I goofed, it wasn't the ball. TP Red, ProV1X, Tour I(s), Penta, B330S...I can pretty much score the same with all of them. I try different balls and check out reviews just to see if they are playable within the range I am looking for and to eliminate ones that I know are no good for my game. For example, the B330, I can't get the most out of it and on the other side of the spectrum the Nike One Tour spins like crazy and is distance robbing off the tee.

[quote name='CasualLie' date='01 April 2010 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1270148243' post='2355300']
[quote name='G-Bone' date='31 March 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1270089002' post='2354068']

[/quote]

[/quote]

CasualLie,
[/quote]

Last time I was fooling with a flightscope, it was 103-107. Depending on the shaft, I do better with a stronger S flex, or a weaker X flex. Playing the Motore F3 in X and liking that a lot. I may give the Penta another go around this summer as to be fair to the Penta the air was cooler when I gave it a try.

In all honesty if I shoot 75 and go back through my round thinking about where I goofed, it wasn't the ball. TP Red, ProV1X, Tour I(s), Penta, B330S...I can pretty much score the same with all of them. I try different balls and check out reviews just to see if they are playable within the range I am looking for and to eliminate ones that I know are no good for my game. For example, the B330, I can't get the most out of it and on the other side of the spectrum the Nike One Tour spins like crazy and is distance robbing off the tee.

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! Speaking of reviews, I just posted a review of the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/359842-my-review-penta-vs-tour-is-vs-tour-iz/"]Penta vs. Tour i(s) vs. Tour i(z) here.[/url]

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='G-Bone' date='01 April 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1270149402' post='2355325']

Thanks for the reply! Speaking of reviews, I just posted a review of the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/359842-my-review-penta-vs-tour-is-vs-tour-iz/"]Penta vs. Tour i(s) vs. Tour i(z) here.[/url]
[/quote]

So you think the i(s) is LONGER than the i(z)? Whats your SS?

[quote name='PingG10guy' date='17 April 2010 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1271509548' post='2384737']
[quote name='G-Bone' date='01 April 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1270149402' post='2355325']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My average is 103-104mph with the driver, and yes, for me, I found the i(s) to be about 4 or 5 yards longer than the i(z). However, even if the i(z) was longer I would still go with the i(s) for my game. The i(s) has superior feel and and spin control for me.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='G-Bone' date='17 April 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1271527040' post='2385046']
[quote name='PingG10guy' date='17 April 2010 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1271509548' post='2384737']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My average is 103-104mph with the driver, and yes, for me, I found the i(s) to be about 4 or 5 yards longer than the i(z). However, even if the i(z) was longer I would still go with the i(s) for my game. The i(s) has superior feel and and spin control for me.
[/quote]

Yeah i just finished my round. I was swinging my driver about 105-107 today. The Tour i(s) doesnt spin off the driver near as much as a zStar or ProV1; for reference I gamed a Bridgestone 330RXS last weekend and it spun way to much off the driver. One thing it does that I like is the trajectory into the wind...it almost acts like an E6 in regards to sidespin as well. The course I played today had some nasty greens that were poorly cut and some barely had grass so I wasnt really able to evaluate the stopping power of short irons/wedges. tour i(s) one hop stopped on a few. When i gamed a Z Star in the same conditions I always got about 5 feet of moonwalking out of it lol.

In summary I consider the Tour i(s) to be the best control ball I have ever played. I have yet to game a Penta. I play a really low spin driver combination and Im losing about 15-20 yards on my drives with this ball (I normally hit 275-285 with my 9015/blueboard combo w/ Z-Star; my other 9015 combo is good for 290 with the Zstar but I cant control the shaft as well so I play the Blueboard) .

If a Penta flies like this callaway and spins like a srixon off the tee then I will cry happy tears lol.

[quote name='PingG10guy' date='17 April 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1271536192' post='2385217']
[quote name='G-Bone' date='17 April 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1271527040' post='2385046']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i just finished my round. I was swinging my driver about 105-107 today. The Tour i(s) doesnt spin off the driver near as much as a zStar or ProV1; for reference I gamed a Bridgestone 330RXS last weekend and it spun way to much off the driver. One thing it does that I like is the trajectory into the wind...it almost acts like an E6 in regards to sidespin as well. The course I played today had some nasty greens that were poorly cut and some barely had grass so I wasnt really able to evaluate the stopping power of short irons/wedges. tour i(s) one hop stopped on a few. When i gamed a Z Star in the same conditions I always got about 5 feet of moonwalking out of it lol.

In summary I consider the Tour i(s) to be the best control ball I have ever played. I have yet to game a Penta. I play a really low spin driver combination and Im losing about 15-20 yards on my drives with this ball (I normally hit 275-285 with my 9015/blueboard combo w/ Z-Star; my other 9015 combo is good for 290 with the Zstar but I cant control the shaft as well so I play the Blueboard) .

[b]If a Penta flies like this callaway and spins like a srixon off the tee then I will cry happy tears lol[/b].
[/quote]

Then I would get the tissues ready my friend, because I think you will find the Penta fits you game perfectly!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='G-Bone' date='17 April 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1271554247' post='2385599']
[quote name='PingG10guy' date='17 April 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1271536192' post='2385217']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]If a Penta flies like this callaway and spins like a srixon off the tee then I will cry happy tears lol[/b].
[/quote]

Then I would get the tissues ready my friend, because I think you will find the Penta fits you game perfectly!

[/quote]

im going to GG tomorrow to buy a box of penta and some kleenex lol.