2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Who uses a spoon (13 degree wood)

ironcat

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I've enjoyed playing strong 3-woods of 13* loft. Usually those lofts have deeper faces than their standard 15* 3-wood loft counter parts. The deeper face is a benefit when played off tee boxes.
Some people will say strong 3-woods are difficult to play off the fairway. But I say ANY 3-wood is not a good fairway play unless the lie is flat and perfect. If the lie is less than great then 5-wood or less club is the smart choice.

[quote name='pinkie' date='26 May 2010 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1274881928' post='2468220']
Does anyone use a spoon?

I brought what I thought was a 3 Wood to replace my TaylorMade R7 ST (steel), but having got it I noticed it's not ST, but TS and that stands for Tour Spoon, it's also a couple of degrees less than a regular 3 Wood.

Haven't really ever noticed these before so wonder who games them?
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='square' date='26 May 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1274882536' post='2468243']
But I say ANY 3-wood is not a good fairway play unless the lie is flat and perfect. If the lie is less than great then 5-wood or less club is the smart choice.
[/quote]

Them be words of wisdom right there.

PING i25 9.5º Driver
PING G25 15º 3 Wood
PING G25 20º & 23º Hyrbids
PING G25 5-UW
Cleveland 588 RTG 56º and 60º
Odyssey ProType ix #1

I used to carry a strong 3 wood, but the old 13 degree Flex Twist-shafted Tour Spoon that I had in play for 14 years or so was finally retired five or six years back when I realised I needed a bit more loft to make it work properly in a variety of situations. The newer balls were the principal culprit.

My current spoon is a 15 degree model with a somewhat deep face. I like the look of the club and it works well both from the tee and from a variety of lies. I'm able to hit it as high or as low as I need to and it's a very versatile club.

For me, the loft on your 3 wood is dictated by your natural ballflight. I don't see the choice of spoon as being either a strong-lofted club that's used mainly or only from the tee or a weaker club that can be used from the fairway. My take, as someone who only carries a single fairway wood, is that it should be usable in [i]both[/i] situations and that you should pick a club - and a loft - that allows you to hit all the shots and to get the right trajectory. For some players it'll be a strong-lofted club. For others it'll be somewhat weaker.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Over the years I've enjoyed playing strong 3-woods of 13* loft. Usually those lofts have deeper faces than their standard 15* 3-wood loft counter parts. The deeper face is a benefit when played off tee boxes.

Some people will say strong 3-woods are difficult to play off the fairway. But I say ANY 3-wood is not a good fairway play unless the lie is flat and perfect. If the lie is less than great then 5-wood or less club is the smart choice.

Does anyone use a spoon?

I brought what I thought was a 3 Wood to replace my TaylorMade R7 ST (steel), but having got it I noticed it's not ST, but TS and that stands for Tour Spoon, it's also a couple of degrees less than a regular 3 Wood.

+1

Can't say it much better than that, got it right on the nose.

Just ordered my Exotics CB3 13* this morning...Let's just say I'm like a kid at Christmas that knows he's about to get that Red Ryder!!!! Just hope I don't shoot my eye out with this bomber!!! russian_roulette.gif

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

I like a 13* better. I hit mine off the tee and off of the deck with no problems. I have a Adams with a PX 8A4 in it that I love. I can hit it really low, I can hit it high without it ballooning, and with the shaft tipped a couple of inches it is really hard to hit off line. It is my go to club if I am more than 245 out on a par 5 and I hit it off the tee about three or so times a round when I have to hit the fairway. I also play a 17* hybrid that I hit 235 or so and when I play a 15* 3 wood, the distances are a little too close. I hit the 13* about 10 yards farther. I normally carry the 13* around 250 or so.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

i have got a callway hawkeye 2 wood which i believe is 13* its a bit too deep a face off the deck but is good off a low tee or a mat which is used at our club in the winter months.its prob 10 yrds longer than my 3 wood on a good hit.

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

[quote name='square' date='26 May 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1274882536' post='2468243']

[quote name='pinkie' date='26 May 2010 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1274881928' post='2468220']
Does anyone use a spoon?

[/quote]
[/quote]

+1 I rarely pull the 3 wood on the fairway unless conditions are ideal and the risk is low. The TS (I play at TM Tour Launch TS) is outstanding off the tee, I use it as much as my driver and more depending on the course. Here in GA some of the courses are very tight due to the trees)

I wish they made 3 woods in 14* loft.

I have played a 13* for a long time. The only real downside for me is that you can't really hit a green with it on the fly and get it to stop.

I tried a 15* recently and the distance loss was very noticable. I am going to try a 15* TE CB2 and hopefully that will give me the distance of a 13 with a little more elevation off the deck.

V1 Rapture 3-wood is 14* loft.
[quote name='rlynham' date='26 May 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1274888579' post='2468416']

I have played a 13* for a long time. The only real downside for me is that you can't really hit a green with it on the fly and get it to stop.

I tried a 15* recently and the distance loss was very noticable. I am going to try a 15* TE CB2 and hopefully that will give me the distance of a 13 with a little more elevation off the deck.
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='rlynham' date='26 May 2010 - 08:42 AM' timestamp='1274888579' post='2468416']

[/quote]

Sonartec SS 2.5.........monster 14 degree

My 3 metal is 13*'s, but I would hardly classify it as a spoon. It is smaller, but I reserve the term spoon to the old Titleist PT's or Taylor Made Tour spoons. Those are tiny and difficult to hit.

I love my 3 metal and wouldn't trade it for a 15* 3 metal.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 w/ D+ 62x
3 Metal: Cobra Bio Cel+ 3/4 @ 12.5* X
4 Wood: Cally SH 4 w/ Grafalloy Epic 90x
Irons: 4-PW Snake Eyes 685X
Putter: Never Compromise Sub 30 type 50
Scratch Wedges:49* DW, 53* & 58*

I love using my 13.5* 3 I use it a lot off the tee I don't get into to many situations where I hit it off the deck but when I do I hit it just as good but I play a high ball flight anyway. I remember my dad used to have a TM spoon 3 wood when I was a kid and it was so small but I remember learning to hit it and now I feel confident that I can hit anything after playing with that I may have to bring it back out and see if I can still hit it hahaha

I have an old Taylormade Tour Spoon at 13*. Not sure which came first the name or the club but it's engraved into the sole. It's a super little club. It used to be my driver when I was first picking up the game.

9.5° Titleist 910 D3 | UST Proforce V2 6S

15° Titleist 910 F | UST Proforce V2 7S

2-9 Mizuno MP-32 | DG S300 | 2° weak

50°, 55°, 60° Titleist TVD | DG Spinner

Never Compromise GM2 Exchange 4

A good 13° 3 wood has to do both, or it's worthless to me. Therefore, I need a relatively deep face that also does well off the deck.

12.5° Adams BTY was awesome off the tee, but I couldn't do it well off the turf. 13° R7 HFS was outstanding off the deck, but I tended to get under it too much from the tee box.

My two players are a 13° 906F2/Diamana 103-X and a 14° J33/Project X-10A2. They are the only fairways (so far) that do both jobs quite well.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I've been toying with the idea of getting a strong 3, as I use my spoon very frequently off the tee (more often then driver on the courses I play) but very rarely off the fairway. But I've found a combo (J33 with a XCon-7) which works so well for me that I'm not going to mess with it. Maybe some day when I need to replace it though.

[quote name='rblum22' date='26 May 2010 - 10:17 AM' timestamp='1274883422' post='2468269']
But I say ANY 3-wood is not a good fairway play unless the lie is flat and perfect. If the lie is less than great then 5-wood or less club is the smart choice.
[/quote]

Them be words of wisdom right there.
[/quote]

+1 another agreement here. I tried a 13° 3 wood and it just didn't work for me. Then again - I use a TEE CB2 3 wood, and that IMHO is unbeatable. But honestly, I didn't hit it as well. Perhaps I should have tried other brands, but abandoned the search. Instead, I"m looking to drop both 3 & 5 woods for a 17° Adams Super hybrid.

I just found an 07 burner tp 13* TS and I actually think it's easier to hit off the deck than my GS Tour and that's saying something...... I instantly bagged it b/c it's BRUTAL off the tee and I really only use a 3 wood off the deck when I'm way out on a par 5 with not much trouble, otherwise tight driving holes or not using it at all.... So the fact that this club is 13* (aka mini driver) and still gets off the turf easy is just BONUS for me...

I'm with Stage1350, my 3 wood needs to do BOTH things well....

I've got a 13+ Cobra X/Speed in my Florida bag (so named because it's the bag of clubs I take to play my buddy's course in Naples that penalizes off-direction shots but is short). And indeed, it's my tee-box club-o-choice on many holes there, but I can't hit it that well off the deck. But, I don't hit my 15* Cobra Speed LD/F off the deck anyway; that's why I have the 5-wood.

Been hitting a Nike T60 13º the past couple seasons. Deep faced and long off the tee. It's tough to elevate off the fairway so I'll only hit it if there's a chance of running one up on the green on a par 5.

TaylorMade M5

Titleist 917F3 15°

Cobra King F6 Baffler

Cobra King Forged CB 4-P

Cobra King Raw 50 • 54 • 58

Scotty Cameron IBDD

Titleist Pro V1x

next to my putter a strong 3 wood or spoon is the most important club in my bag.... I can hit a driver... but I preffer a controlled shot of the 3 wood off the tee and deck.

Driver: To temperamental
3 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 15
5 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 18
Hybrid: Adams Pro Gold 16, 20, 24
Irons: Mizzy 825 5-pw
Wedges: Mizzy 53 GW
Putter: TPM 16 or Wilson tour special

[quote name='rlynham' date='26 May 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1274888579' post='2468416']
.....I am going to try a 15* TEE CB2 and hopefully that will give me the distance of a 13 with a little more elevation off the deck.
[/quote]

very wise choice my man ;)

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

The way my bag is set up, I rarely, if ever, find myself with a shot that would need the extra elevation of a standard 3 wood going into a par five off the deck. My 13* spoon is built for distance off the tee as it is basically a mini driver except much easier to draw.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2