Sky caddie you have lost me...because

Bought sky caddie in 2008 now I have lost track at how many requests I have made to have my course mapped to no avail.

Subscription every year where you can buy a number of units that they are FREE and unlimited.

Final straw was my mate bought Golfshot and requested course changes have been made this was done within the day! (different type of mapping but customer service instead of no service)

Now for sale on eBay.

SKYCADDIE YOU SUCK!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact your course has not been mapped just might not be Skycaddie's fault. For Skycaddie to map a course, they need permission of the course. On the course that I requested to be mapped, the pro walked the course with the Skycaddie person to help them understand how the course is played so they could get target yardages along with hazard yardages. Also they needed to close nine holes each day for the safety of the mapper walking the course. They don't just take a satellite phone and have some nerds map the yardages based on what they think it will be based on the photo.

You need to ask your pro if Skycaddie / Skygolf tried to arrange to map the course, and if they did, ask the pro why it was not allowed.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1300199343' post='3057016']
The fact your course has not been mapped just might not be Skycaddie's fault. For Skycaddie to map a course, they need permission of the course.
[/quote]
I am not sure I buy all of this. I am good friends with the GM at my local course. He has been there a long time and has never heard from Sky Golf, nor had his predecessor.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1300205451' post='3057280']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1300199343' post='3057016']
The fact your course has not been mapped just might not be Skycaddie's fault. For Skycaddie to map a course, they need permission of the course.
[/quote]
I am not sure I buy all of this. I am good friends with the GM at my local course. He has been there a long time and has never heard from Sky Golf, nor had his predecessor.
[/quote]

Maybe they worked with someone else at the course you are referring to. As my post said on the course I requested. They scheduled the visit. It took two days, nine holes each day. They closed the nine they were mapping. And the pro helped providing course knowledge. When they mapped most of the courses in Atlanta, Mark Long did it during the winter season. It is not a cheap or quick process to map the course.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1300207208' post='3057356']Maybe they worked with someone else at the course you are referring to.[/quote]
I don't think that is possible; very small staff, only two salaried employees (the GM and the Super).

This actually came up while we were talking GPS units one day. If they came out to map the course, or if they even contacted the course, he would have been the only contact.

[color="#555555"][size="2"]
[color="#555555"][size="2"].I was going to use my course in my data base but they had erased them all but the one i had mapped which only has yardages to front middle and back now why on earth would i pay for another subscription when i could get a Busnell Neo or the like for @ $100 thats all courses included for LIFE or golfshot app on the iphone we have compared yardages to my skycaddie and it is spot on not to mention great customer service.[/size][/color]
[color="#555555"] [/color]
[color="#555555"][size="2"]I am in Australia and when you can go to a place like Barnbougle Dunes in Tasmania and skycaddie don't even have it mapped and golfshot does this is a Top 100 course in the world.[/size][/color]
[color="#555555"][size="2"][size=2]Found this on the net[/size][/size][/color]
[color="#555555"] [/color]Before you purchase this product you need to be sure you understand their licensing plan for course data. I have used an SG2 for two years and I was very pleased with its performance on the golf course. You can read other reviews that I am sure will testify that it is a wonderful tool to have on the course. I went out today to play for only the second time this year. When I turned the SkyCaddie on, it gave me a message that said my "membership" expired two weeks ago, what would I like to do? I would like to finish my round of golf. It brought up the course as it always did and worked fine for three holes. On the fourth hole it gave me the same message but when I tried to just continue my round of golf I discovered that my "membership" service had just erased all the data on my SkyCaddie!! I paid for the hardware. I paid for the ten courses it allowed me to have in the unit (I was only using four.) The satellites belong to the Government and we can use them for free. But, because I didn't instantly renew my "membership" they erased my course data!! In my mind, this would be like MicroSoft erasing my Windows XP because I didn't upgrade to Vista. I find this to not only be aggravating but also unethical. I play 90% of my rounds on the same course. However, because I do travel a bit, I purchased their $50 membership that covers the United States. Now I find that if all I ever want to do is to play my home course, I will have to pay them $30 every year to do that, even though it is my hardware and I have paid for the course data. I will not renew. I am going to buy a Golf Buddy. They don't even charge you the first time for the course data and there are no annual renewable "membership" fees.[/size][/color]

The statement you found on the net is a problem within the technology industry as a whole. The person wrote they bought the ten courses and expected use of them after the membership expired. That is incorrect. They paid a yearly membership to license the use of the course data. When the membership expired, they no longer had a license to use the data. This is just like when people purchase software. They actually purchased a license to use the software. They do not own the software. The technology industries as a whole do a very poor job of letting users know they purchased a license not the software.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='xe2087' timestamp='1300220267' post='3058015']
[color="#555555"][size="2"]
[color="#555555"][size="2"].I was going to use my course in my data base but they had erased them all but the one i had mapped which only has yardages to front middle and back now why on earth would i pay for another subscription when i could get a Busnell Neo or the like for @ $100 thats all courses included for LIFE or golfshot app on the iphone we have compared yardages to my skycaddie and it is spot on not to mention great customer service.[/size][/color]
[color="#555555"][size="2"]I am in Australia and when you can go to a place like Barnbougle Dunes in Tasmania and skycaddie don't even have it mapped and golfshot does this is a Top 100 course in the world.[/size][/color]
[color="#555555"][size="2"][size="2"]Found this on the net[/size][/size][/color]
[color="#555555"] [/color]Before you purchase this product you need to be sure you understand their licensing plan for course data. I have used an SG2 for two years and I was very pleased with its performance on the golf course. You can read other reviews that I am sure will testify that it is a wonderful tool to have on the course. I went out today to play for only the second time this year. When I turned the SkyCaddie on, it gave me a message that said my "membership" expired two weeks ago, what would I like to do? I would like to finish my round of golf. It brought up the course as it always did and worked fine for three holes. On the fourth hole it gave me the same message but when I tried to just continue my round of golf I discovered that my "membership" service had just erased all the data on my SkyCaddie!! I paid for the hardware. I paid for the ten courses it allowed me to have in the unit (I was only using four.) The satellites belong to the Government and we can use them for free. But, because I didn't instantly renew my "membership" they erased my course data!! In my mind, [b]this would be like MicroSoft erasing my Windows XP because I didn't upgrade to Vista[/b]. I find this to not only be aggravating but also unethical. I play 90% of my rounds on the same course. However, because I do travel a bit, I purchased their $50 membership that covers the United States. Now I find that if all I ever want to do is to play my home course, I will have to pay them $30 every year to do that, even though it is my hardware and I have paid for the course data. I will not renew. I am going to buy a Golf Buddy. They don't even charge you the first time for the course data and there are no annual renewable "membership" fees.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Hey! Don't give Micro$oft any ideas!

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1300281127' post='3060186']
bushnell...take a couple notes...done.
[/quote]

Not where I play. Too many trees and hills. Lasers are rendered useless.

I also travel for my job and get to play many new courses. I find lasers to be nowhere near as useful as a GPS for navigating a new course.

Cobra F7+, Oban Kiyoshi White
Adams Tight Lies Titanium 3+
Cobra Baffler 3H
Cobra F7/F7 One 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll ER7
TaylorMade TP5x

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1300826267' post='3078459']
[quote name='all4's' timestamp='1300285578' post='3060378']
Not where I play. Too many trees and hills. Lasers are rendered useless.

[/quote]

A more powerful laser should take care of that ;)
[/quote]

YEA! Like the one you see in the movies! As you laser it cuts the tree down in front of you! Now that's a plan!:partytime2: