We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

IN THE BAG: Lefty moves to long putter

Steve Hennessey ·  
Steve HennesseySteve Hennessey  120Members Posts: 120
One of the summer's biggest controversies in golf has been created by the long putter, so it only makes sense that Phil Mickelson has joined the conversation.

Mickelson is playing his first round at the Deutsche Bank Championship with a long putter in hand ([url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/2011/09/more-on-mickelsons-new-long-pu.html"]the Odyssey Sabertooth 46 1/2 inch[/url]) after practicing with it yesterday in the pro-am.

Is this a desperation move for Lefty? What needs more help, his putter or his driver?

Read Ron Sirak's report from TPC Boston here: [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/09/mickelson-makes-switch-to-long-putter-official.html"]Mickelson makes switch to long putter official[/url], and let us know what you think.

---
Posted:

Comments

• Buckets2Buckets2  2545Members Posts: 2,545
    Off with his head.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me  10704Members Posts: 10,704

One of the summer's biggest controversies in golf has been created by the long putter, so it only makes sense that Phil Mickelson has joined the conversation.

Mickelson is playing his first round at the Deutsche Bank Championship with a long putter in hand ([url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/2011/09/more-on-mickelsons-new-long-pu.html"]the Odyssey Sabertooth 46 1/2 inch[/url]) after practicing with it yesterday in the pro-am.

Is this a desperation move for Lefty? What needs more help, his putter or his driver?

Read Ron Sirak's report from TPC Boston here: [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/09/mickelson-makes-switch-to-long-putter-official.html"]Mickelson makes switch to long putter official[/url], and let us know what you think.

---

"Summer's biggest controversies? Geez...

Last I checked, it's still legal to employ such putters in competition. Mountain out of a molehill- again...

These golf digest related threads- I'm at a loss. I really am...
    Posted:
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom  20715Banned Posts: 20,715
    Rugger wrote:

Off with his head.

He's outta the will.
    Posted:
    Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
    Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
    Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
    All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf  6920Members Posts: 6,920
    Seems to be working. He birdied 3 of first 4 holes.

Go Phil. You still got a couple more majors in ya..........................................if you can putt and by that I mean stop missing so many 2-3 footers. image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400 MAX 9 Aldila 125 MSI 70 x
    Ping G 14.5 3 Wood Tour 80 Stiff
    Ping G 17.5 4 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
    Ping G400 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping i25 UW SS 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54
    Cleveland 588 60 
    Scotty Cameron GO LO 3
  • againstthegrainagainstthegrain  2114Members Posts: 2,114
    I think the Dave Stockton putting techniques hurt Phil and make putting harder not easier.
    Posted:
  • eqmaneqman Whynot  842Members Posts: 842
    There`s nothing better than if Phil gets it together as far as I`m concerned and if the belly works great. Hope he gets 3 of em.image/tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ethanlculverethanlculver  3764Unregistered Posts: 3,764
    I know it's still legal but I'm still really disappointed that he went to a long putter. It's an unfair advantage in my opinion, anchoring it into your stomach. Oh well.

I like Phil and I want him to putt better, but the long and belly putters are too far of a stretch and should be banned starting in 2012.
    Posted:
  • NEOhioNEOhio  127Members Posts: 127
    Funny thing is I watched the Feherty show one time....he had Fluff and Bones on the show and he asked them if they could change one thing about the game, what would it be? Bones answered, ban the long putters, belly putters etc.... ironic....
    Posted:
  • joekellijoekelli A member of the exclusive "Kingdom 14" Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 2649Members Posts: 2,649
    I still don't think it is that big of a deal. I have 5 putters and 1 of them is now a belly putter. I have had a couple of good rounds with it but overall I still putt better with my #9. I think it just gives you a different feel which can put you in a different mindset. It is not a magic wand people!!!!!!
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* Matrix VLCT 115+ 75xx
    TM sldr 15*  VTS 7x
    Callaway X2Hot pro 20* Tour green 75-X
    TaylorMade RSi2 5-pw CTAPER 130X
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putte- Machine M2A converter
    Ball- [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Kirkland Signature or TM TP5 x[/font]
    WITB Link
    I have a feeling this isn't going to go too well. Bones obviously hates long/belly putters and now his player is using one. Just don't see it working for too long. Either Phil will end up switching back to a regular putter, he'll be forced to (by a possible ban in 2012), or Bones will be gone. I think the situation will be one of those three.
    Posted:
  • trip0rtrip0r  23Members Posts: 23

I have a feeling this isn't going to go too well. Bones obviously hates long/belly putters and now his player is using one. Just don't see it working for too long. Either Phil will end up switching back to a regular putter, he'll be forced to (by a possible ban in 2012), or Bones will be gone. I think the situation will be one of those three.

I don't see that happening.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PingEye2PingEye2  836Members Posts: 836

I know it's still legal but I'm still really disappointed that he went to a long putter. It's an unfair advantage in my opinion, anchoring it into your stomach. Oh well.

I like Phil and I want him to putt better, but the long and belly putters are too far of a stretch and should be banned starting in 2012.

While it may be an advantage, how can it be an unfair advantage if everyone can use one if they choose?
    Posted:
  • ap1_alanap1_alan  284Members Posts: 284
    remember when Phil used the controversial wedges to prove a point (that were still technically legal)? I have a feeling he's doing the same thing here.
    Posted:

You really think Bones would give up his relationship with his gravy train AND great friend over something like this? Absolutely ludicrous!
    Posted:
  • stryperstryper  3301Members Posts: 3,301

This I don't understand. Phil and Bones have had an excellent relationship for many, many years. Do you really think either of them is going to draw the line in the sand over something like this? image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
    Posted:
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7
  • PlayawayPlayaway  3891Members Posts: 3,891

I know it's still legal but I'm still really disappointed that he went to a long putter. It's an unfair advantage in my opinion, [color="#FF0000"]anchoring it into your stomach. [/color]Oh well.

Phil would be better off anchoring that sucker in that cleavage of his rather than his stomach.
    Posted:
    Valhalla, I am coming!
    Drums beating, cold English blood
    runs hot.
    they just can't kill the beast

Advertisement
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me  10704Members Posts: 10,704
    stryper wrote:

This I don't understand. Phil and Bones have had an excellent relationship for many, many years. Do you really think either of them is going to draw the line in the sand over something like this? image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />

Not only this but the notion that the powers that be would impose a ban in four months is insanity.

As mentioned earlier, its not an unfair advantage if EVERYONE has the same opportunity...
    Posted:
  • PotatoheadPotatohead  2946Members Posts: 2,946
    s.metz wrote:

Funny thing is I watched the Feherty show one time....he had Fluff and Bones on the show and he asked them if they could change one thing about the game, what would it be? Bones answered, ban the long putters, belly putters etc.... ironic....

Yes, nobody here is aware of that. Nobody.

image/beee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beee:' />
    Posted:
  • UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1  5782Members Posts: 5,782
    Potatohead wrote:

s.metz wrote:

Yes, nobody here is aware of that. Nobody.

image/beee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beee:' />

So the guy gave some insight that maybe he just thought was new or relevant to the subject. You don't need to be a jerk about it. I get that most of us on here already knew that, but think about the people who didn't. Forums are about everybody not just yourself
    Posted:
  • Downhill DaveDownhill Dave  172Members Posts: 172
    I'm not for the ban on long putters, but I have to say it is a little disappointing to see Phil make the switch. It just doesn't look right if he isn't using the short putter.
    Posted:
    stryper wrote:

I'm shocked with how many people are bashing me because I said that. I said it's a possibility, not a sure thing, and anyone who thinks it's NOT a possibility is a complete moron.

Maybe not right away, but why would anyone completely rule a split out of the mix? Bones just said a month or two ago that he expects to be fired by Phil someday and that it's part of golf and part of the business of being a caddy. I highly doubt they'll be together forever.

I don't think there will be any split right now, but I definitely would never rule it out. We thought Stevie and Tiger had a great relationship too and look what happened...they disagreed on something and that was the end of their tango.

And in my opinion, the long/belly putters are an unfair advantage. I guess your definition of "unfair" and mine are different. I know everyone can use them....I'm not referring to that, I'm just saying that anchoring the club into your body is an unfair advantage to the people who are using traditional putters, and I don't want golf to go down that path to where everyone is using a long putter. And what if a pro doesn't want to make the switch because he knows he will look hideous with one? Just my opinion.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bullie76bullie76  2225Members Posts: 2,225

stryper wrote:

I'm shocked with how many people are bashing me because I said that. I said it's a possibility, not a sure thing, and anyone who thinks it's NOT a possibility is a complete moron.

Maybe not right away, but why would anyone completely rule a split out of the mix? Bones just said a month or two ago that he expects to be fired by Phil someday and that it's part of golf and part of the business of being a caddy. I highly doubt they'll be together forever.

I don't think there will be any split right now, but I definitely would never rule it out. We thought Stevie and Tiger had a great relationship too and look what happened...they disagreed on something and that was the end of their tango.

And what if a pro doesn't want to make the switch because he knows he will look hideous with one? Just my opinion.

If it works, why would any pro care what it looks like? Plus, they have become too common to look odd or hideous at this point.

I use one every now and then. It does help as a training tool if nothing else. Helps keep things all together and makes me use my shoulders. When using my Ping Anser standard length putter, I feel like I'm using a belly one as I'm using the same technique.
    Posted:
    My senior bag.......
    Callaway Rogue 9 * driver reg
    Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
    Callaway Apex cf16 irons 6-pw Recoil ES 760/f3 reg 
    Ping i200 50* cfs reg
    Cleveland 588 56* s/w
    Odyssey White Hot XG 7 putter
    bullie76 wrote:

stryper wrote:

And what if a pro doesn't want to make the switch because he knows he will look hideous with one? Just my opinion.

If it works, why would any pro care what it looks like? Plus, they have become too common to look odd or hideous at this point.

I use one every now and then. It does help as a training tool if nothing else. Helps keep things all together and makes me use my shoulders. When using my Ping Anser standard length putter, I feel like I'm using a belly one as I'm using the same technique.

I would care. I would rather try to find what's wrong with my putting and try to fix it while staying with a traditional putter than go to a belly or long putter that I didn't like the look of. But again, that's my opinion, and everyone feels differently about it.

Posted:
  • vjswingvjswing  1424Members Posts: 1,424
    Looks like Phil is in serious danger of missing the cut now, as he's finished at +1, and the cut line just moved to even par.
    Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 28824Members Posts: 28,824
    i said this in the other thread and i'll say it again, he is using it to stick it to the USGA and put them in an awkward spot. A guy as high profiled as him using a long putter will make them field tons of questions about it and consider banning it, and he'll slam them every opportunity he gets along the way. I don't see this as a long term move, just like using an eye 2 wedge was never a long term move
    Posted:
    Cobra King F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra King F9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
    MtlJeff wrote:

i said this in the other thread and i'll say it again, he is using it to stick it to the USGA and put them in an awkward spot. A guy as high profiled as him using a long putter will make them field tons of questions about it and consider banning it, and he'll slam them every opportunity he gets along the way. I don't see this as a long term move, just like using an eye 2 wedge was never a long term move

Yeah, he's about to miss the cut, I'm sure that is going to convince the USGA that it makes golf way too easy. You guys saying this are so funny...you can't believe that your golden boy has to actually try something different to putt well. Face it, his putting has been very poor by tour standards and he is searching for something that works, like everyone else who is struggling. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. Let's say he wins a couple of tournaments in a row. Do you really think he will want it banned if that happens? Unbelievable....
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Well, it definitely didn't work for him today. I think his putting is still just off, whether it's the green reading or the stroke. I didn't haven't gotten to see any of his putting yesterday or today so I don't know if his stroke is changed dramatically or not. Whatever it is, I don't think a belly putter is the solution to his problem.
    Posted:
    PingEye2 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Yeah, he's about to miss the cut, I'm sure that is going to convince the USGA that it makes golf way too easy. You guys saying this are so funny...you can't believe that your golden boy has to actually try something different to putt well. Face it, his putting has been very poor by tour standards and he is searching for something that works, like everyone else who is struggling. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. Let's say he wins a couple of tournaments in a row. Do you really think he will want it banned if that happens? Unbelievable....

I don't care whether he uses it or not, I like watching Phil play and have seen countless interviews and opinion pieces of his over the years. He basically admitted his use of the eye 2 wedge was to make a point. And i believe this is too. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he switched back in the near future. I think you are missing my point though, i don't think he is trying to prove golf is too easy with a long putter, i think he is just trying to put the USGA in a tough spot where they have to answer dozens of questions about it. A lot of people have suggested it should be banned, and Phil (a very pro-technology and advancement guy) is using it to flaunt in front of them.

it is a front page story of golf.com, golf digest...i think it's being noticed whether he finishes in first or last. Have you watched Phil over the last few years? Don't you think he relishes the fact that people at the USGA are going to be repeatedly asked about his use of the putter, and it's going to spawn dozens of debates? This is classic Phil
    Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • BetweenTheEarsBetweenTheEars  336Members Posts: 336
    MtlJeff wrote:

PingEye2 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

I don't care whether he uses it or not, I like watching Phil play and have seen countless interviews and opinion pieces of his over the years. He basically admitted his use of the eye 2 wedge was to make a point. And i believe this is too. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he switched back in the near future. I think you are missing my point though, i don't think he is trying to prove golf is too easy with a long putter, i think he is just trying to put the USGA in a tough spot where they have to answer dozens of questions about it. A lot of people have suggested it should be banned, and Phil (a very pro-technology and advancement guy) is using it to flaunt in front of them.

it is a front page story of golf.com, golf digest...i think it's being noticed whether he finishes in first or last. Have you watched Phil over the last few years? Don't you think he relishes the fact that people at the USGA are going to be repeatedly asked about his use of the putter, and it's going to spawn dozens of debates? This is classic Phil

Or he's trying a belly putter because his putting the last few years has been **** poor, and he's searching for a fix?

Why does everyone try to make up fantastical explanations for simple things?
    Posted:

Advertisement

MtlJeff wrote:

PingEye2 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Or he's trying a belly putter because his putting the last few years has been **** poor, and he's searching for a fix?

Why does everyone try to make up fantastical explanations for simple things?

This is a guy who skipped a playoff event just for spite a few years ago, and used a Eye2 wedge solely to make a point regarding the stupidity of the rule. Why does my thought seem so fantastical?

anyway, maybe you are right. Maybe i am right. let's not get too heated about it
    Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.