2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Razr X Tour vs Razr X Forged

awk316

Hi,

Has anyone done a comparison between the Razr X Tour and the Razr X Forged irons? I've found some great reviews on here for each set individually, but no direct comparison. Everyone seems to love which ever ones they get.

I currently have the X14 Pro Series and I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm planning to go to a local shop that is an authorized Callaway Fitting Location, but I feel kind of bad "wasting" their time as I'm going to buy them at Callaway Preowned to save some money.

I'm about a 10 handicap and getting better if anyone has suggestions. Club head speed with a 6 iron is around 92 mph.

Thanks a lot!

Andy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played both irons sets. I had the tours in the bag about 25 rounds, The rxf have seen around 10 rounds. I have always preferred the feel and feedback that forged irons deliver. I initially bagged the tour irons I thought they would be more a players type iron. I went to tours from the 09 x forged. After a few rounds with the tours I can to the decision that for me they were more a GI type iron than a players iron. Basically they would play similar to the x22 irons more than the older x tour model. The tours are very forgiving and do provide a small amount of feedback, they have the typical cast iron feel and feedback. The rxf are only a tiny bit less forgiving but provide so much more feedback and feel than the tours. I have found with the rxf I generate more spin and seem to have more control with them. The ball flight for me was a bit higher in the rzf than the tours, although the KBS shafts are more than likely playing a big role here.

I would say go to the forged if you are a solid ball striker, if you could that little bit more forgiveness get the the tours.

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1329815611' post='4339379']
I have played both irons sets. I had the tours in the bag about 25 rounds, The rxf have seen around 10 rounds. I have always preferred the feel and feedback that forged irons deliver. I initially bagged the tour irons I thought they would be more a players type iron. I went to tours from the 09 x forged. After a few rounds with the tours I can to the decision that for me they were more a GI type iron than a players iron. Basically they would play similar to the x22 irons more than the older x tour model. The tours are very forgiving and do provide a small amount of feedback, they have the typical cast iron feel and feedback. The rxf are only a tiny bit less forgiving but provide so much more feedback and feel than the tours. I have found with the rxf I generate more spin and seem to have more control with them. The ball flight for me was a bit higher in the rzf than the tours, although the KBS shafts are more than likely playing a big role here.

I would say go to the forged if you are a solid ball striker, if you could that little bit more forgiveness get the the tours.
[/quote]

I have been wondering the same thing, looking at both sets of irons, but reading that the RAZR forged are more like the Mizzy MP59 which I feel are not forgiving at all. But when I them at GG I hit them both fine. It seems like the RXF are more forgiving than the MP59.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max Blue Head Tpt shaft 34/71

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys. JB, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to write it. That is definitely in line with what I thought would be the case based on the reviews for the sets individually.

It seems like the X Tour would maybe save me a stroke or two now as they are more forgiving, but in the long run, I'd be better served with the Forged as they'll provide more feedback and make me a better golfer. I definitely became a better ball striker when switch to the X14 pro series from thicker cavity backs about 6 years ago. Early in the season, I struggle with the 3/4 iron at times, but by summer I can usually hit them fairly consistently.

I'll go to a local Callaway fit center in the next couple days to swing both of them and provide feedback on the thread for others interested, but I'm definitely leaning towards the Forged and will likely pull the trigger on them.

Thanks again!
Andy

I have a combo set. 3-6 in X Tour and 7- PW in X Forged. Fitted with PX 5.5 Flighted. Bought them last month and have to say they are best irons I've played to date. Also my 1st set of Callaways. I've always been a Mizzy irons fan. I play of 3 and judging by the numbers and accuracy over the past 4 weeks I can see scratch being achieved this season. The X Forged are smooth and nicely weighted. I had my lofts tweaked 3 degrees stronger. The spin around the greens from 7-PW is amazing. Cannot praise these highly enough. A real game changer

Thanks for the feedback, TM.

GreekGrind also pointed me to his insanely thorough review:
[size=2][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/470186-2011-2012-callaway-golf-irons-shootout-review/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/470186-2011-2012-callaway-golf-irons-shootout-review/[/url][/size]

Looking through the posts there, it looks like several others have done the same as you. I'm assuming the logic is that the 7-PW is usually a little steeper swing ("digger") and generally more forgiving, so the RXF is more appropriate. As the longer irons are more of a shallow, sweeping swing, and generally a little harder to hit, the extra forgiveness of the RXT is needed.

That seems like a really great strategy.

I found a guy at work that has the RXF, so we're going to head over to the range in a few hours and I'm going to hit them. As most the courses around here are fairly short, requiring no more than a 7 iron into 90% of the par 3/4s, I back to thinking I'll go with the RXF if I like the way they hit. Then, if I have trouble with the long irons (hitting par 5s in two, long par 3s), I may do as you did, and pick up the RXT for my long irons.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how I like the RXF after I hit them. I'm sure I'll love them.

Alright, just got back from the range hitting my current clubs (X-14 Pro) and the RXF (KBS shaft).

First impression on looks: RXF are definitely more of a blade with a thinner sole, but not as thin as blades. 3 iron looks pretty thin though.

BIG NOTE: I was hitting off mats

Hitting: First impression, I did not get the wow factor I expected. Honestly, they didn't fell all that much different than my X-14s.

After hitting over a large bucket, and all clubs, here were my thoughts:

They were definitely lighter. Not sure if this is the shaft difference or the club head. Due to this, I tended to pull it slightly, or hit a draw. I quickly corrected for this and it was a non-issue.
The distance was the same as my X-14s.
At the end of the day, I would say I hit more shots consistently with the RXF, but not drastically obvious.
I was surprised how forgiving they were. I expected very little forgiveness off the toe, but I could tell I definitely hit some off the toe, and they still went pretty decently.
Trajectory wasn't all that different either.

Now, I didn't have the RXT to compare to.

I'm going to try and go play 9 with my co-worker today to see how they feel on the course. I'll update if I make it out.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Well, I didn't get to play the RXF on grass yesterday.

Kind of a tangent question here:

I'm about 6'1" or so and a local shop said I should have +1/2" shafts. This is inline with my set of clubs which were custom. When I went to the X-14s, I just got standard as they were cheaper. Initially, I had months of topping them and hitting them thin. Now, I'm adjusted to their length and hit them fine.So, the question is, if I get the RXT or RXF, do I go with +1/2" since that is what I should have with likely short term frustration of hitting the ball fat for potential long term benefit, or do I just stick with standard length since that is now what I am accustomed to?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm 6,3 and my set is standard length and lie. Fitting just doesn't work on height. If you are going to buy new I'd get a fit. Saves any wondering down the line if you ain't hitting them great. That way you know for sure it a swing issue rather than equipment. Just a note about mats, tough to judge on them. I never base an opinion on irons or any clubs unless I get them on course. To be honest I hit my irons rubbish on mats at range. Club can't interact same as on turf for obvious reasons.

[quote name='TM Superdeep' timestamp='1330022516' post='4359483']
I'm 6,3 and my set is standard length and lie. Fitting just doesn't work on height. If you are going to buy new I'd get a fit. Saves any wondering down the line if you ain't hitting them great. That way you know for sure it a swing issue rather than equipment. Just a note about mats, tough to judge on them. I never base an opinion on irons or any clubs unless I get them on course. To be honest I hit my irons rubbish on mats at range. Club can't interact same as on turf for obvious reasons.
[/quote]

Thanks!

I completely agree on the issue with the mats which is why I'm not putting too much stock in my demo.

As for the fitting, I want to buy pre-owned online, which makes it a little awkward going to a shop to get fit then not buying from them. I guess I can pay $50 or whatever it would be to get a fitting, even though I wouldn't buy from that shop, before I buy online so I know which length to buy. I'll see if the shop offers that service.

I'm a little under the gun as the website has some coupon codes through the end of the month.

Thanks!
Andy

[quote name='TM Superdeep' timestamp='1330026612' post='4360097']
Only thing I could say is buy them 2nd hand 1/2 inch above and then get them tweaked by a PGA pro. I had my lofts tweaked in 5 mins. I use same guy for all adjustments. He gives me a tune up lesson a week before season begins.
[/quote]

[size="2"]Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the RXF, 3-PW Project X Flighted Steel 6.0 Std (Black), +1[/size]/2", 2 Up (White) lie. They had a set in "average" condition for a lot cheaper, and 2 up lie instead of 2 down lie, which the golf shop thought would be a better starting point for me. Once I get them, I'll take them in to get the lie fine tuned for my swing. I'll post feedback once I play a round with them. They should be here Tuesday. A big factor in getting the RXF and not looking more into the RXT is that the RXFs were more forgiving that I expected. As the extra forgiveness in the RXT was my reason for considering them, I determined the RXF were forgiving enough for me.

Thanks for all the feedback. For $440, I think it's worth making the switch to the RXFs.

Side note, I'm also waiting for an R11 to come in the mail on Monday, which will replace my R580XD. My game is either going to get better, or a lot worse before it gets better with a whole new bag of clubs.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well, I FINALLY got to play the RXF, albeit, for only 9 holes. As I said, I ordered the 2 up and took them to get fitted. All my contact with the ground was near the toe, so I had them bent up even more. I now have a slight draw, but very minor. I've been going to the range at night about 2 times a week and liked the clubs more and more.

Today, after work, I was able to get in 9 with the time change. I played the black tees as it's a short course (2787 yards from black, 70.1/125) and shot a +3, a little better than my 9.4 handicap. Had my putting not sucked, I'd would have scored better (two 3 putts!).

The irons felt fantastic! Very soft and great feel off the club. I could definitely tell a difference from my X-14 Pro unlike on the mats on the range. The best thing I can say is I birdied two of the three par 3s (179 & 160 yards). I've never done that before over 9 holes. I was very consistent with them and had no miss hits. That being said, I didn't have to hit anything more than a 7 iron as the course is fairly short. I only missed one green, and that was because I was playing too much wind and it didn't blow the shot back towards the green. It went where I aimed. The most impressive? I put an 8 iron 14" from the hole on a par 3 (pic below). That is very rare for me. The ball mark was about 14" right of the ball, so I assume it jumped forward then had minimal spin back. That was about the same spin as my X14 Pros, but the hole was a little down wind.

I'm very pleased with the decision on the RXF over the RXT. The RXF are plenty forgiving for me and they feel great.

Next Monday I'm going to play a local Country Club for a charity event, so that'll really put them to the test as it's a tougher course and I'm sure I'll have to hit some longer irons.

Thanks for all the feedback and help!

par3.JPG

Unless there is a Japanese version of the Razr X Tour. There can be no comparison. I compared the Razr X Tour to the PING I20 one day and found the RXT to be basically a dud. The fsound was lousy, the distance wasn't great, but everything kept coming back to the feel. It simply felt dead. Now, I ended up ordering the I20 because on a second occasion the I20 was again amazing to me, but the RXT just had no life and no feel. I can only assume the the Razr X Forged has to be a better feeling club.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Double post. Sorry. The internets are responding very slowly tonight.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

• 2 weeks later...

My last set of irons was Titleist 710 MB's (blades). I was looking for more forgiveness, and tried the AP2's, MP53's. and after hearing my dad rave about the Callway's, the Razr Tour and Forged. I am/was a Titleist fan, but all I can say was I was blown away by the results of the Callaway. Needless to say, I ordered the Razr X Forged and actually just picked them up today! Really excited to take these out tomorrow. I didn't find them any harder to hit than the Razr X Tours, but preferred the finish, appearance, sound and feel.

Both are great clubs - the ball flies off the face. I just realized how much I still preferred the feeling of forged clubs during my trials. To each their own though.

I wished I had seen this post earlier...........I would have recommended the Callaway Diablo Forged............Some say it is the best iron that Callaway have ever made and they still command a pretty high following and resale price...........Even more forgiving and more feel than the RXF

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+