SERIOUSLY!!!! Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Irons

Editor Review
Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Irons-

Pros-
A good blend of forgiveness and workability, the V2 Irons are designed for the golfer wanting it all. The 8620 forging gives a player's feel while the cavity construction provides added forgiveness. The rounded topline, soft leading edge and weight distribution around the cavity encourages the weekend warrior to play like a pro. Stock KBS shaft is just fantastic and conforming grooves.

Cons-
While their stock shaft option is the KBS Tour, the standard length is slightly longer than other manufacturers. Traditional forged players will not like that it is 8620 forging. The higher bounce will turn off sweepers and the shiny chrome can be glaring in certain sun light conditions. A slightly larger club head for a player's iron.

Bottom Line-
I have played everything from Super Game Improvement to pure butter blades and these Wilson Irons will beat them all to the bag. The V2 Irons are one step closer for Wilson Staff being back to their glory days and no longer viewed as a K-Mart special.

Review-

FG Tour V2's are forged from 8620 mild carbon steel, but don't let that fool you into thinking these are cheaply made. These irons scream detail from their precise weight distribution to the extra padding behind the sweet spot to enhance the feel and are accented by KBS Tour shafts and Lamkin Crossline grips.

Looks-

These irons are three shades of pretty. The sleek silver and black look is a mixture of class and simplicity. While other irons tend to get busier and busier, the V2 irons have that perfect blend of technology without slapping you in the face with gaudy colors. A thin topline, minimal offset and rounded leading edge make the Wilson FG Tour V2 irons a stellar looking iron for the traditionalist. They offer a slightly higher bounce than some other player's irons creating a larger sole which might turn some players off, but they are great to reduce excess digging.

The stunning look of the blend of silver and black really goes well with any bag colors. With the irons being forged from 8620 mild carbon steel, the cost is lower than other forged clubs. The heads are on the larger side of a player's club, but would fall in line with the Titleist AP2 or Ping I20 irons.

Performance/playability-

I tested the V2 against my current irons (Callaway X-Forged '09) and was blown away by the tighter dispersion with the Wilson Irons. A bit about my swing; I am taller and have a step angle of attack (am a digger for those whom use that term), SS was 89 with 6 iron. My launch angle was 2 degrees higher with the Wilson (16.9*) versus the Callaway (15.1*), and the back spin was 5600 versus 5200 in favor of the V2's again, but what really surprised me was the dispersion. I was constantly tighter with the Wilson Irons and every guy likes it tight (am I allowed to make that joke?).

I only play a 5 iron as my longest iron, but for testing, I hit the 3 and 4 as well. Even the 3 was easy to get air born with control. The irons are pretty traditional loft (47* PW) for a player's club and are easy to flight. If you like to move the ball up and down or left and right, you should have no problem with these irons. The slightly larger club head also encourages confidence when you set up behind the ball.

Feel-

Feel is very subjective so just believe that these things are fantastic. If Fabio hit these irons, he would say "I can't believe they're not blades" then flap his hair across his chest. A strategically placed hunk of mild carbon 8620 steel right behind the sweet spot doesn't hurt either. When you hit these things in the center, you have to look down to make sure you actually hit the ball. I really liked the sound as well. While not Muira forging, the V2's have a muted sound through impact while still giving solid feedback on off center hits as you would expect from a player's club. Accented with KBS Tour shafts as stock, these irons just belong in your bag.

Overall bottom line-

Some people just really want the game to be much harder than it has to be and if you are that person, stay away from these. However, if you want a player's iron with GI characteristics that help you take money from your playing partners…give these a try. I played the FG Tour irons for a while and these are definitely a step up. To put it simply:

Wilson Staff? SERIOUSLY!

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ci11's are a big larger overall with a touch more offset. Generally, you will hit them a bit higher and longer (stronger standard lofts). They also come stock with a lighter shaft with a softer tip to help increase launch angle. A bit generic, but I have only hit them both on a launch monitor so I cannot give you much of a review between those two.

I did not comment on forgiveness because I did not find much difference in dispersion. The V2's felt better to me though, but that could have been the shaft and not the club head.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Thanks for the nice review on the FG's.These are the irons that i wish that i could demo,but they're impossible to find locally.They're a great looking iron & Wilson would sell alot more of these,if they would get them out to more shops.I did see the reveiw by Mark Crossfield on the FG'S & even he was impressed.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1335400854' post='4790448']
The Ci11's are a big larger overall with a touch more offset. Generally, you will hit them a bit higher and longer (stronger standard lofts). They also come stock with a lighter shaft with a softer tip to help increase launch angle. A bit generic, but I have only hit them both on a launch monitor so I cannot give you much of a review between those two.

I did not comment on forgiveness because I did not find much difference in dispersion. The V2's felt better to me though, but that could have been the shaft and not the club head.
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply.

I've been playing the Ci7s for awhile now, but considering buying a new set. Just not sure I'm ready for a "players club".

• 4 weeks later...

I was at a demo event, went to try the Adams irons, Wilson was next to them. The Adams irons were as fantastic as i had heard but kept seeing these really good golfers hitting the Wilson's and going WOW. I decided to hang out and see what all the hubbub was about and eventually tried these clubs and was seriously impressed. Nice looking and great feel. Everything was striped right down the middle. Now I can't get them out of my head. Need to go try them again just to make sure they'
re all that I think they are. Try them, see for yourself. I heard Golfsmith has them now.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='living_for_golf' timestamp='1339633836' post='5087964']
im gonna get a set, but are there any differences between the original fgs and the v2s besides the shafts and the design?
[/quote]

So other than the entire club, is there a difference? Not really sure how to answer that. If you put them side by side, the V2 is a touch smaller with more weight behind the sweet spot which should increase feel. I have hit both with their respective stock shaft. The V2, to me, launched a bit higher and was more forgiving. Again though, that could be shaft. Hope that somewhat helps, haha.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are great irons! Mine are shafted with KBS C-Tapers S. I hit high flat bombs with this set up. In fact, I have hit some of the best iron shots of my golf career with these. I grew up in the era when Wilson Staff irons were the set to own and only solf at Clubs, these clubs have put Wilson back on top!

• 7 months later...

I just demo'd these clubs against the Mizuno MP-59, Ping S-56, and AP-2's. I was thinking that I'd be going with the Mizuno's, and the sales-person suggested I hit the Wilson. I really liked the feel, launch, and feed-back on less than stellar shots.

In fact, I kept trying to talk myself into the Mizuno or the Ping clubs (I've played Pings for 27 years), but just kept hitting the Wilson's better. I'll go back for a formal fitting to demo them again, but I'm leaning toward the Wilson now.

I play a mixed set of fg tour v2 and wilson 62 blades.
These are one of the best clubs out there .I have tried AP2 and 712 mb.MP67, 69 .These are forgiving with great feedback, soft with perfect launch and ball flight..I may get another set without blades with c tapers.
Very underrated. ..
Guys give em a shot.

Wilson Staff is definitely a sleeper for most players. Their new line of woods is pretty impressive as well and their new wedges look amazing.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Yepyukon...we spoke briefly last year about these irons....I fell in love with them but never made that leap of faith to buy'em

Well it happened....frustrated with my iron play, I fell for the rocketbladez tour irons but changed stock kbs for dynamic gold xp shafts....short lived experiment....

Figured I could gut it out with my pro combos but just too much damage after multiple shaft changes.

I recalled the last iron of comfort and in walks the WSFGTV2 ! Quick call to TGW with added overnite charges and they were at my doorstep after shift.....2nd swing resulted in a flagstick hit with 8-iron! SOLD COMPLETELY! One under par for 9 with 6 GIR's ...

Great feel and turf interaction with feedback and bag appeal....big mistake over looking these class leading player's forged cavities.

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1367453648' post='6954121']
Yepyukon...we spoke briefly last year about these irons....I fell in love with them but never made that leap of faith to buy'em

Well it happened....frustrated with my iron play, I fell for the rocketbladez tour irons but changed stock kbs for dynamic gold xp shafts....short lived experiment....

Figured I could gut it out with my pro combos but just too much damage after multiple shaft changes.

I recalled the last iron of comfort and in walks the WSFGTV2 ! Quick call to TGW with added overnite charges and they were at my doorstep after shift.....2nd swing resulted in a flagstick hit with 8-iron! SOLD COMPLETELY! One under par for 9 with 6 GIR's ...

Great feel and turf interaction with feedback and bag appeal....big mistake over looking these class leading player's forged cavities.
[/quote]

Awesome story! I really love the feel of these irons. I was able to get on with Nike Golf so I no longer have them in play, but I keep them polished in my collection. Very underrated iron.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1367530499' post='6960175']
OP
Can you please add WOW....to the title just like mp 64 thread.
Imean these irons are just amazingly perfect..
[/quote]

How is that?

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

• 4 weeks later...

Just played my first round with these. Wow just wonderful. I was nervous at first since I saw some reviews saying they are still more for the better player, but that quickly changed on my first 7 iron from about 155 out. I miss hit it slightly on the toe, but it still went very straight just a little short. Then on a dogleg right with only 190 to the corner with tress thick/tall to really make a good cut at the corner (for me anyways haha) I hit a great 3 iron shot with a baby fade to the outside of the corner with about 175-180 to the center. I know this doesn't sound great to many of you, but I usually have a bit of trouble hitting the longer irons and these are just so easy to hit. It pretty much stayed like that for the rest of the day. Turf interaction was fantastic and didn't dig. Of course if I made a real bad swing or got off rhythm then bad results followed, but it was a great day. I hit 7 greens which for me is a huge improvement for me. Can't say enough good about them. :)

Forever Changing at this point.......

The last sentence of the editors review was that the v2's are superior to the originals.

I was at the local retailer, didn;t get a chance to hit them but I took a good long look at both, I don;t see why there would be such a big leap in terms of forgiveness and feel between the two.
In fact th eoriginals have what looks like alot more toe weighting, which I would have thought would make them much more forgiving.

Anyone who owened the originals and has moved onto the v2's care to shed some light on if the v2's are really that much better?

[quote name='dzg' timestamp='1370487897' post='7179178']
The last sentence of the editors review was that the v2's are superior to the originals.

I was at the local retailer, didn;t get a chance to hit them but I took a good long look at both, I don;t see why there would be such a big leap in terms of forgiveness and feel between the two.
In fact th eoriginals have what looks like alot more toe weighting, which I would have thought would make them much more forgiving.

Anyone who owened the originals and has moved onto the v2's care to shed some light on if the v2's are really that much better?
[/quote]

I owned both sets when I said the V2 was softer feeling and more forgiving. I think the reason behind it is the design of the cavity back. The original FG Tours had a lot of weight towards the toe whereas the V2 has more mass right behind the sweet spot. This made them feel softer even thought they are both the same material. I also think that made them more forgiving. The V1 increased the MOI but the V2 evened it out through the face.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1370498352' post='7179940']
I owned both sets when I said the V2 was softer feeling and more forgiving. I think the reason behind it is the design of the cavity back. The original FG Tours had a lot of weight towards the toe whereas the V2 has more mass right behind the sweet spot. This made them feel softer even thought they are both the same material. I also think that made them more forgiving. The V1 increased the MOI but the V2 evened it out through the face.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
My misses are usually towards the toe so thats why I was unsure which to look into more, how consistent a ball striker do you have to be to play these? I realise these are not GI irons, but do you have to be a scratch or single digit handicapper to game these? I'm wondering if these have that dime sized small sweetspot like most blades ... if thats the case they're out of my league.

They are actually a slightly larger players club which makes them easier to hit for a range of handicaps. Think Ping I series or Titleist AP2 size.

TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

I am going to buy a set of cobra amp forged which seem to perform similarly to the fg v2 as per what you are posting guys. can any one compare these to the cobra amp forged which also come with kbs tour ?

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 4 months later...

Any further reviews on this iron? I love some of the others irons but the cost is a factor in my world and these are considerably less than what is just coming out...

Thanks,
David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

MAXFLI TOUR 

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Lefty19' timestamp='1381593950' post='7991777'] Any further reviews on this iron? I love some of the others irons but the cost is a factor in my world and these are considerably less than what is just coming out... Thanks, David [/quote]

IMO the best forged cavity back irons available today for feel, and overall what I'd call "blade-like performance with the benefits of feedback AND some forgiveness" are the Callaway X-Forged 2013...and THESE! The FG Tour V2 are just phenomenal from the times I've demo'd them. As one of the comments above said, since I've tried them I, "...can't stop thinking about them"!

Please don't forget that a great deal to do with their fantastic, buttery feel and performance is in the KBS Tour shafts (nice choice, along w/the grips, WS)...but I demo'd the stock FGv2 vs. X-Forged with the same shaft and I still prefer the feel of the FGv2. I'm told by others that you have to give the distance nod to the X-Forged irons, with slightly lower ball flight comparing numerous other reviews...but for a forged player's iron to have the feel and such forgiveness as the FGv2 is unreal. A mishit from a FGv2 initiates a signal starting at the clubhead that moves up the shaft, through your hands to your brain that says to you in gentle, dulcet tones that, "Aww, sweetie...you caught that on the toe...I'll make everything okay but just keep your head down next time, okay?" prior to still making the ball get near to target.

Can't say enough good about'em.

ADDENDUM:

There are pricing deals popping up left and right on these everywhere...I believe MSRP is $200 less than X-Forged anyway, but I've been consistently seeing these on eBay and at various local pro shops as low as $550 brand new! ...I keep on looking in the corner where my ol'reliable electric bass bull-fiddle is standing and we keep eying each other...she's saying, "Please don't sell me...please..."

"Worry not, Pearl...it's never worth it to sell an instrument...but these irons!..."