Maxfli U Series

majestic

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1330390935' post='4391553']
I just saw these at GG. Much better idea than having three 3-piece balls (previous Maxfli Tour series) priced at $40 to compete with the major OEM's top tier balls. And its about time that someone made a 2-piece urethane ball to compete with the e5.
[/quote]

Maxfli has had a 2 pc. urethane ball out since last season, the HT Feel:

[url="http://www.golfgalaxy.com/Maxfli-HT-Feel-Golf-Balls---12-pack/SP11HTFEEL12PK/Product"]http://www.golfgalax...EEL12PK/Product[/url]

Follow up on the new Maxfli balls. I went into DSG tonight and they did not have any on the shelves so I asked the associate in the golf section and he brought out small case of 6 ball sample packs, 1 of each model and a nice brochure further explaining each ball, driver spin, short iron spin, dimples, etc. I took one ball of each out to inspect and here's what I found:

The U4 and U4x have a completely different cover than the U3 and U2..

The U4 and x covers are what you'd expect from a pro v, z star, etc. very tacky to the touch, feels like a urethane cover, traditional dimples (I believe the U4 is 318 and the x is 336, but it might be the other way around). The literature is what you'd expect, the U4 spins more off short irons and is a tad shorter off the driver and vice versa for the x.

The U3 and U2 cover does not feel or look like a urethane cover. It feels like a surlyn cover, shiny and not tacky to the touch. The cover is seemless (can't remember if the U4 and x were seemless) and both models have 422 dimples and they are much smaller dimples (obviously) than the U4 and x. The literature on the U3 is that it offers more short iron spin the U2 (it was rated a 9 in this category just like the U4x). If you've played the HT feel or HT tour from last year or before the dimples are the same.

The U4 and U4x are the real deal, you wouldn't know any different if Srixon or Titleist were printed on the cover; I'm not suggesting the U3 and U2 aren't quality balls as I've not played them but they appear cheaper per appearance of the dimples and to the touch. The price point on the U3 and U2 is very attractive. I hope that DSG offers a 4 pack, one of each model and/or 6 packs of each model for sale so customer could buy a sample to see which model they like the most.

OK, found the literature on these, same stuff that was in the brochure:):

http://theappletreegang.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/maxfli-u-series-golf-ball-2/

You are able to click on each ball for it's construction, dimples, flight pattern, etc. and then click on compare all and it has the spin chart for each ball and workability and feel. Pretty cool.

This sounds promising and I love the names.

[quote name='majestic' timestamp='1330385130' post='4390893']
Saw the new Maxfli U Series at DSG and was intrigued, especially by the cost of the u3 & u2. Wonder how well they will perform.

U4 & U4x - 4 piece, urethane cover - 39.99 retail

U3 - 3 piece, urethane covered ball - 24.99 retail

U2 - 2 piece, urethane covered ball - 19.99 retail
[/quote]

Its about time Maxfli realize they can't beat the big boys, but they can create their own market... good move... all they need now is a pro to play them and win a tournament or two...

Ping G20 Driver: 9.5 Degree
Cobra S9-1: 5 Wood
Callaway Heavenwood Hybrid: 20 & 23
Ping G5 Irons: 5-9, PW, UW, SW
Ping Karsten Putter: Anser
Ping Tour Wedge 58°

[quote name='dm289' timestamp='1330564467' post='4406847']
Its about time Maxfli realize they can't beat the big boys, but they can create their own market... good move... all they need now is a pro to play them and win a tournament or two...
[/quote]

I tried the U4x the other day. On my first hole with it I hit a monster 3W with it on a short par-4. It went 260 yards which is the furthest I have ever been on that hole with that club. For my second shot from 86 yards I hit a punch SW that took one bounce and hit the brakes really nice. I was impressed. Too bad on the very next hole I was hitting over a creek which I can clear with ease when the wind gusted severely and the ball went bye-bye. I am looking forward to throwing a few in bag for my next round. I know it isn't much of a review but it showed some promise.

I then put the U3 in play for a few holes. It was OK but the cover shredded easy and seemed more like a urethane/surlyn blend than a true urethane cover. Distance was average as was feel and spin.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1330480035' post='4399161']The U3 and U2 cover does not feel or look like a urethane cover. It feels like a surlyn cover, shiny and not tacky to the touch. [/quote]

Actually, I was able to dig my fingernail into the cover of the U3 so I do think it is softer than surlyn. I think mid handicappers will love the U3.

Hopefully there is some improvements over last years Tour ball. The Tour ball is a nice ball but fell a little short in my mind in distance and durability.The last Maxfli ball I played on a regular basis was the Tour Fire. I'm very curious to here some reviews on the new line, have been a Maxfli fan since the 90's but the latest releases have been somewhat of a disappointment. Hopefully Dicks Sporting Goods have stepped it up with this line.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* 

Cobra Tec 19* 
Titleist 818 H1   21*
Cobra Forged Tec 2022 Kbs $ taper stiff

Titleist SM8 54*- 58* TT AMT Black s300

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s
Maxfli Tour 2023

[quote name='RMS29' timestamp='1330910396' post='4436695']
Is the U4x the old Tp Red LDP??? Based on the marketing, it has very similar characteristics! Oh please let it be true!
[/quote]

It is not the TP red LDP, different number of dimples. That does not mean it won't play very similar. Next time out I will try one for 9 holes versus a TP Red LDP.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='trackcoach13' timestamp='1330911921' post='4436907']
[quote name='RMS29' timestamp='1330910396' post='4436695']
Is the U4x the old Tp Red LDP??? Based on the marketing, it has very similar characteristics! Oh please let it be true!
[/quote]

It is not the TP red LDP, different number of dimples. That does not mean it won't play very similar. Next time out I will try one for 9 holes versus a TP Red LDP.
[/quote]

Curious to hear what you find out...I am going to do the same as soon as the weather improves around here.

Played nine holes with the U3. Great distance and spin around the greens was terrific. Only issue will be durability and consistency. They seem to scuff and shred easily. It is a shame because price is great. The third ball did not have the same distance, it just dropped from the sky, similar to a range ball. My 15 year old who drives the ball on average 260 hit a couple and noticed the same thing. "Dad, that ball is dead"!.

I played the remaining nine holes with the Srixon Z star SL. Oh oh, we may have found a ball to knock out the Titleist. I am playing 18 this weekend with it, but the initial impression was terrific. Distance, feel, spin, it was all there. Let's see how they hold up after 18.

Was checking out these balls at dicks sporting goods and just ran my finger nail on the cover of the U4 and man does it feel soft, I know that doesnt translate into feel off of a club but it was enough to spark my interest. May have to use my coupons to get a dozen to try, especially at that price point. Ill try and save $5-$7 whenever I can.

Got my dozen U/3 on Friday. Did some chipping in the yard with them Saturday just to see how they felt, no issues there.

Played Monday afternoon and I was impressed. Good distance, held its line pretty well in the 15mph wind I was playing in. Very good, but not great spin. It spun better than anything with a surlyn cover, but it didn't have the same spin as the tour urethane balls I've been playing. I didn't have any major issues with durability. It doesn't hold up as well as the Srixons I normally play, but I thought it was about as durable as the ProV1.

I normally shoot low-mid 80's, but shot a 78 with the U/3 Monday, and that's the first time I've been under 80 in a couple years. I was hitting the ball really well, so I know that playing a new ball didn't really have anything to do with my score, but I won't hesitate to keep playing the U/3 after yesterday, and if this first dozen keeps going like this I could see myself playing it full time.

Maxfli has finally updated their web site, pretty much the same info as in the early posted link. It would be nice to see just a little more detailed information on the ball line (compression etc). Dicks and Golf Galaxy provide more info than the Maxfli site. I do have a feeling the 2012 balls will out perform the previous 2011 line. (Hoping anyway)

Cobra LTDx 10.5* 

Cobra Tec 19* 
Titleist 818 H1   21*
Cobra Forged Tec 2022 Kbs $ taper stiff

Titleist SM8 54*- 58* TT AMT Black s300

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s
Maxfli Tour 2023

[quote name='wayne18' timestamp='1331921614' post='4520407']
Maxfli has finally updated their web site, pretty much the same info as in the early posted link. It would be nice to see just a little more detailed information on the ball line (compression etc). Dicks and Golf Galaxy provide more info than the Maxfli site. I do have a feeling the 2012 balls will out perform the previous 2011 line. (Hoping anyway)
[/quote]

any more feedback on the U4 or U4x...which is better for a higher handlcap with a fade( I mean slice)?