2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maxfli U Series

majestic

[quote name='RMS29' timestamp='1332471940' post='4560712']
Picking up some of these tomorrow U4x...will give my review in the next few days.
[/quote]

Bought the U4's...very soft to the touch. Like the new car small and cut out in front that allows you to pull out a sleeve more easily. Can't wait to try them. I guess they are a poor mans Pro V?

Cheers Tanner

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a couple dozen of the Maxifli Tour XD series balls from Dick's for $31 bucks back in December, didn't get a chance to play them until the last couple of weeks and now I am kicking myself for not buying about 6 dozen for what they were selling them for. These balls are great, especially for the prices, and keep right up with my normal v1x. I believe Taylormade is making these for them. If the new ones are on par with last year's models, I'll bet they are winners.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro - Tour Green 65x
R11 TP - 18.5* - Project X Black 6.5
Titleist AP2 - 710 - 3-PW - Proj. X Flig 6.0
Cleveland 588 CB RTX - 50* - S400
Cleveland CG14 Tour Issues 54/58 - S400
Scotty Cameron - Studio Newport 1.5

"Greatness Courts Failure, Romeo"

[quote name='Williams5203' timestamp='1332763600' post='4581968']
I bought a couple dozen of the Maxifli Tour XD series balls from Dick's for $31 bucks back in December, didn't get a chance to play them until the last couple of weeks and now I am kicking myself for not buying about 6 dozen for what they were selling them for. These balls are great, especially for the prices, and keep right up with my normal v1x. I believe Taylormade is making these for them. If the new ones are on par with last year's models, I'll bet they are winners.
[/quote]
I just bought a box of the Tour Xd's also the other day because they were $19.99 (down from $42.99! :russian_roulette:) and played one yesterday and they were GREAT! I will probably pick up a few more boxes if I can find them at $19.99 again.

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

Bought a box of U/3s on Saturday. Played one for all 18 on Sunday. Shot an 83 with 3 doubles, no birdies. (Three 3-putts :russian_roulette: )

I will relate these to NXT Tours and ProV1xs that I was playing before. Kinda apples to oranges but it should give you an idea.
[list][*]Driving - similar distance to an NXT Tour, soild feel that didnt seem to produce as much spin as a ProV1x[*]Irons - approach shots grabbed the green much better than the NXT Tour, spin and feel seemed to be somewhere between the Tour and ProV1x.[*]Chipping - soft with good spin, again closer to a ProV1x than the NXT Tour[*]Putting - good feel here as well, again more similar to the ProV1x than the Tour[*]Durability - I played all 18 with it and did glance off 2 trees. I use Vokey wedges, MP57/67 irons, and Superfast 2.0 woods. Just to give an idea of what I was beating this thing with. Conclusion: I would play another 18 with it no problem. One wedge shot made it a little fuzzy and the tree left a mark, but these things will take some abuse. I would say these are right between the ProV1x and Tour.[/list]Overall I am very happy with the purchase as they seem to fill the gap between a ProV1x and NXT Tour (while taking the positives from both) which is absolutely perfect for me and my home course.

Usually play Callaway Hx Diablo Tour, so my comparison of the Maxfli U4x is based on that.

Driver - with Diablo usually about 240 yards with about 235 carry and 5 yards roll and very straight. Same swing with U4x got about 245 yards with same carry but more roll out, surprisingly put a baby draw on it consistently, very slight lower ball flight. Felt a little heavier off the face, but not a negative.

Putter - nice, very consistent predictable roll, more consistent distance-wise than Diablo. Felt better off face. I like the U4x putting characteristics

Wedges - Very noticeable more spin than Diablo, predictable into the green.

Irons - both balls same flight, U4x felt just a little heavier, but again slightly more predictable. Shorter irons spin more into green.

Durability - I have Callaway x-forged vintage wedges........the Diablo's will often peel or shed cover, the U4x didn't shed but did lose a little paint or whatever is on the outside but not necessary to scrape away peel with fingernail.

Got the maxfli's from Dick's with the $5 off coupon.

I used my coupon to get my free sample 4 pack of these tonight. I am playing in the morning (with some fellow WRX'rs) and will probably give them u4 and the u4X a shot.

For those of you who get the coupon from the GG flyer:

[b]WHEN YOU OPEN THE BOX ON THE 4 PACK, PAY ATTENTION. THE FLAP THAT OPENS THE BOX HAS A 5 DOLLAR OFF 1 DZ COUPON ON IT.

[/b]OK, so i am immediately wondering if that piece of 5 dollar info was worth the Bold [i]and [/i]all caps. Too lazy to change it, it stays!!:clapping:

If I play these tomorrow, i will follow up with my thoughts on 'em.

Hit 'em straight boys!

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Warning about these balls. I was playing in cold temps this morning, so I tried the Maxfli U2. I birdied the first hole. On the Par 5 second, I cracked the ball on my second shot with a 5 wood. I have heard of this on the previous version of Maxfli balls. First time I have ever made a crack like that!!!!!!!!! I only hit my 5w 225, so I think it is a defect. Take it FWIW.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Picked up the free sample box from GG. I tried the U4 and the U4x. I think they're both long and I experienced a high, but not ballooning, ball flight. I was playing on firm greens and I don't think they have the stopping power of a ProV or the Tour D, which is my normal gamer, but I need to do more testing. So far I like them.

I want to spend some time around the green to get a better feel for how they react.

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1333330723' post='4627147']
I played 36 holes with the U2 over the weekend. Compared to the Bridgestone E5, the U2 feels harder, less durable, and has less greenside spin. It was also noticeably shorter on drives as well. Pretty disappointing as I had high hopes for this ball.
[/quote]

Thats a shame. I was really hoping this would be a marginally cheaper option that performed similar to the E5. I'm glad I bought an extra box of Penta practice balls instead of the U2 for the same price @ GG. I'm hearing the U4x is a good ball but for the price I would be more likely to check out the TP3 or Hex Chrome before a Maxfli ball.

I've got a 105 swing speed, if it matters. I liked the U2, I thought it was pretty good and long, had a good ball flight, held up well. I hooked the heck out of the first hit with the U3, all i know about that one is it found a house. I didnt like the u4, I felt like i was all over the place with my shots off the tee, driver, fairway, irons, I didnt like it. The u4x was awsome, crazy long, straight low piercing ball flight with the driver and the short iron shots were great. I also liked the chip shots around the green, just a great combination of crazy distance, good flight and great greenside performance. I'll be playing the u4x.

[quote name='golfdog1955' timestamp='1331056837' post='4448603']
tried it out not impressed with the ball. The cover sheared pretty easy and it did not happen with the other balls I used that day. Played shorter than the other balls as well. No numbers for the stats geeks just my experience on the course.
[/quote]

I tried the U3 and got the same results as you. Shorter off the driver and the cover was soft.

I played 36 holes with the U2 over the weekend. Compared to the Bridgestone E5, the U2 feels harder, less durable, and has less greenside spin. It was also noticeably shorter on drives as well. Pretty disappointing as I had high hopes for this ball.
[/quote]

Just wondering if anyone else has this same opinion. I've been Playing E5's and when i heard of the new U2's or even U3's i got a little excited about a new ball to try. unfortunatly my local shop dosen't carry them so I was thinking I might order some online. But if they don't stand up to the E5's I might hold off.
Any opinions.

[quote name='krazynewf' timestamp='1334112893' post='4697628']
[/quote]

Just wondering if anyone else has this same opinion. I've been Playing E5's and when i heard of the new U2's or even U3's i got a little excited about a new ball to try. unfortunatly my local shop dosen't carry them so I was thinking I might order some online. But if they don't stand up to the E5's I might hold off.
Any opinions.
[/quote]

I can't personally comment on the U2/U3 to the playability of the E5. For what its worth the 2012 Golf Digest ball review gave the U2 a gold and the U3 a silver rating. Both actually have a higher spin rate than the E5 on the robotic half wedge testing. If the durability is even marginally less than the E5 the cost difference wouldn't be worth it for me.

[quote name='krazynewf' timestamp='1334112893' post='4697628']
[/quote]

Any opinions.
[/quote]

I can't personally comment on the U2/U3 to the playability of the E5. For what its worth the 2012 Golf Digest ball review gave the U2 a gold and the U3 a silver rating. Both actually have a higher spin rate than the E5 on the robotic half wedge testing. If the durability is even marginally less than the E5 the cost difference wouldn't be worth it for me.

[quote name='csv123' timestamp='1333716951' post='4663682']
Can anyone comment on the wedge durability of the U4/3? I really really liked the Maxfli Tours from last year but they would only last until my next full wedge :(

Edit: Just saw a picture of the box. The red dot reminds me of the Maxfli M3 Tour from 7 or 8 years ago. Ahhh, my favorite ball ever.
[/quote]

I've only tried the U/3, and durability on those was good/normal for me, but I have seen some other people complain about the cover "shredding" here and other places. Personally, I've had no problems at all with them.

I play b330RX when I can or e6 because of reduced sidespin. I played a round today with U2 and felt that the durability was just ok as I got a few nicks and scratches from 1 round. I will say that the ball had a nice low trajectory for me and less sidespin than the bridgestones. Around the greens it was okay for me. Not great but I can deal with it for $20 a dozen. I do like this ball and felt I got less distance then the bridestones but I was in the fairway a lot more. I want to try the U4x now and see the difference.

picked up a free 4 pack of these, one of each at Golf Galaxy. Played 36 on Good Friday 18 with the U4 and 18 with the U4x.
The fact that I still have them both in playable condition is a nice bonus.
Have to say I was impressed by both, very comparable to the pro v and pro v x. I can say that I think they will have a tough time selling them at $40 a dozen. To many other name balls at thet price point

Played 18 w/ the U4X...hit some of the best shots of my life, the extra distance off the irons made me play with more confidence and less club. I am used to playing cheap balls. So, I can tell the difference of a premium ball w/ less feel. It makes me tempted to get a Prov. But, still can see spending 45-48 bucks for 12 balls.