The Single Malt Scotch Thread

Comments

• MattTheTaffMattTheTaff Oh, I used to be disgusted.. and now I try to be amused Members Posts: 2,252
    eagle1997 wrote:

ah, single malt scotch. one of life's great pleasures. i've tried a bunch over the past year, too many to list (or remember), so here's my current top 3.

highland park 18 yr - received as a christmas gift from a very satisfied client about a week ago... really nice. smooth, with a little smoky burn at the end to let you know its there. i had previously only had the 12yr HP, which is also good, but this is at another level, in price and taste. highly recommend.

balvenie carribbean cask 14 yr - last 2 years are 'finished' in an previously used rum cask. my bourbon buddies really like it. sweet and smooth, but with a lot more depth than bourbon imho. if i am introducing scotch to somebody for the first time, this is my go-to. really highly recommend.

lagavulin 2011 cask strength limited edition - all the peaty smokey brine you could ever want in a glass. i hated it at first, but grew to love it by the end of my first drink. spectacular and strong, not for the faint of heart. a man's scotch. the best i've ever had.

Well done on the Lagavulin. It certainly is a required taste!
    Titleist 905R - 10.5°
    Titleist 904f - 17°
    Cleveland Mashie - 20.5°
    Mizuno MP32 - 3-PW
    Cleveland 588 Forged 54°/60°
    Wilson Staff 8882
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,365 ✭✭
    So can someone recommend me, a relative novice at this, some reasonable single malts? I'm trying to get into the scotch thing.

I have a Glenlivet 12 right now which i like.

At our liquor store near my place (the SAQ for you quebecers!) they stock the following that i think i've seen in there:

-Bowmore 12

-Glenfarclas 12

-Glenmorangie original 10

-Macallan 10 fine oak

-Balvenie double wood 12

-Aberlour 12

maybe a few others, but these are mostly between 50-70$ CAD....anyone want to recommend me one? I'm liking the GlenLivet 12 i have
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 5,951 ✭✭
    I'd next go to the Arbelour. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*
  • butemanbuteman Members Posts: 210
    cardoustie wrote:

I thought we'd start a thread for all the single malt lovers out there in golfwrx land.

I am not a giant fan of the really peaty versions but I do know some chaps love the stuff

Just back from Scotland in late Sept and go to try some beauties, including a 33 yr old Tomintoul

Also of note, they do make a single malt in Nova Scotia here in Canada (big legal troubles as they used the prefix name Glen). I was also quite surprised to buy a great scotch from our local store that is called Hellyers Rd, out of Tasmania, Australia. Quite ironic as I was born there

Here is a list of the bottles I have owned / tried / finished. I have kept some of the cooler tins, especially the golf related ones

Actually you did NOT buy " a great Scotch " out of Tasmania ,,, you may have bought a good whisky but I can assure you of one thing ,, if it was not produced in Scotland then it is NOT Scotch.

Aberfeldy 12

Aberlour

Ardmore Traditional Cask

Arran (The) Malt 100 proof

Auchentoshan 10

BalBlair 17 yr old 1995

Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Distillery Banffshire

Bowmore 12

Bowmore 15

Bowmore Mariner 15

Bruichladdich 12 - Second Edition

Bruichladdich 14 Royal Liverpool

Bruichladdich 15 year old

Bruichladdich 17th hole The Old Course St. Andrews

Bruichladdich 1991 WMD II - The Yellow Submarine

Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Edition_01

Bruichladdich Rocks

Bruichladdich Waves 7

Cardhu Special Cask Reserve

Cardhu 12

Dalmore 12

Dalwhinnie 15

Deanston 12

Deerstalker 10

Edradour

F - none yet

Glen Garioch 8

Glen Parker Speyside Special Reserve

Glendronach Original 12yrs

Glenfarclas 15

Glenfiddich 12

Glenfiddich 12 Special Reserve

Glenfiddich 18

Glenfiddich Clan Sutherland

Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix

GlenKinchie 10

Glenlivet 12

Glenlivet 12 Classic Courses Carnoustie Ed

Glenlivet 18

Glenmorangie Lasanta

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Glenmorangie Sherry Wood 16 Men of Tain Handcrafted

Glenrothes Single Speyside Select Reserve

Highland Park 12

Hellyers Road Tasmania

Isle of Jura 10

Johnny Walker Green

Johnny Walker Swing

K - none yet

Lagavulin

Laphroaig

Longrow CV

MacNamara Gaelic - Rum Finish

N - none yet

Oban 14yrs

Old Parr Superior

Old Pulteney 12

P - none yet

Robert Burns

Scapa 14

Singleton (The) 12

St. Andrew's

Strathisla 12

Stronachie 12

Tamdhu

Tobermory 10

Tormore 12

Teanininch Lombard
    esketores wrote:

For the sake of clarification only... Johnny Walker Blue is a blend. Not a Single Malt. And IMO not worth the money. Not saying it is bad stuff. But then that is why I buy Famous Grouse for my at home libation.

Couldn't agree with you more, Johnny Walker is probably one of the most over rated Scotch whiskies ,, I believe it's produced in Western Scotland ( Kilmarnock ).
    MtlJeff wrote:

So can someone recommend me, a relative novice at this, some reasonable single malts? I'm trying to get into the scotch thing.

At our liquor store near my place (the SAQ for you quebecers!) they stock the following that i think i've seen in there:

-Bowmore 12

-Glenfarclas 12

-Macallan 10 fine oak

-Balvenie double wood 12

-Aberlour 12

maybe a few others, but these are mostly between 50-70$ CAD....anyone want to recommend me one? I'm liking the GlenLivet 12 i have

Just a matter of taste more than anything, a while back I had a bottle of 18 year old Glenlivet, I found it to be a nice malt but I actually preferred the 12 year old Glenfiddich which price wise was considerably cheaper.

Again simply a matter of personal preference of the whiskies you noted above I would lean towards the Glenmorangie or the Aberlour 12 ,, they're all good !
  • MileHighClubMileHighClub Members Posts: 3,654
    buteman wrote:

esketores wrote:

For the sake of clarification only... Johnny Walker Blue is a blend. Not a Single Malt. And IMO not worth the money. Not saying it is bad stuff. But then that is why I buy Famous Grouse for my at home libation.

Couldn't agree with you more, Johnny Walker is probably one of the most over rated Scotch whiskies ,, I believe it's produced in Western Scotland ( Kilmarnock ).

The people who think JW is a quality Scotch owe it to themselves to try a good single malt. Once they do it will be hard to go back to a blend.
    Callaway FT-iz 9*
    Ping G15 4W 17*
    Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
    Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
    Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
    Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,062 ✭✭
    edited Dec 27, 2012 #39
    MtlJeff wrote:

-Bowmore 12

-Glenfarclas 12

-Macallan 10 fine oak

-Balvenie double wood 12

-Aberlour 12

the glenlivet 12 yr is a good scotch, so there's nothing wrong with continuing to get what you like. out of the ones you've listed, i'd recommend the balvenie doublewood. for the name only. i mean, it's hilarious. if the name is that perfect, imagine what the scotch tastes like? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

in all seriousness, the doublewood is a really good one. like the balvenie carribbean cask i mentioned earlier, the doublewood is "finished" in a different cask... in its case, a first fill spanish oak sherry cask. it's not as sweet as the carribbean cask, and that's good, it's different. i'd compare it to the glenmorainge quinta ruban, which is finished in a port cask (not as good as the doublewood).

the thing i focused on when i first started drinking scotch was how i drank/ordered it. used to be blended scotch and club soda (JW Black) on the rocks. then i discovered single malts, and the soda and most of the ice went out the window. now it's a double, with one or two cubes of ice, and maybe a splash of water (for cask strength scotches). there's nothing finer after a good round of golf than an excellent single malt and a good cigar. yum.

eagle1997 wrote:

ah, single malt scotch. one of life's great pleasures. i've tried a bunch over the past year, too many to list (or remember), so here's my current top 3.

highland park 18 yr - received as a christmas gift from a very satisfied client about a week ago... really nice. smooth, with a little smoky burn at the end to let you know its there. i had previously only had the 12yr HP, which is also good, but this is at another level, in price and taste. highly recommend.

balvenie carribbean cask 14 yr - last 2 years are 'finished' in an previously used rum cask. my bourbon buddies really like it. sweet and smooth, but with a lot more depth than bourbon imho. if i am introducing scotch to somebody for the first time, this is my go-to. really highly recommend.

lagavulin 2011 cask strength limited edition - all the peaty smokey brine you could ever want in a glass. i hated it at first, but grew to love it by the end of my first drink. spectacular and strong, not for the faint of heart. a man's scotch. the best i've ever had.

Well done on the Lagavulin. It certainly is a required taste!

thanks matt! i recently had an ardberg that was in the same ballpark, but couldn't touch the lagavulin overall. gotta stock up on the 2011 special editions... they stopped making them, and the price is going up up up. might be my first "do not open unless it's a really special occasion" bottle.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • esketoresesketores Members Posts: 2,069
    edited Dec 27, 2012 #40
    MtlJeff wrote:

-Bowmore 12

-Glenfarclas 12

-Macallan 10 fine oak

-Balvenie double wood 12

-Aberlour 12

Glenmorangie original 10

A fine single malt to learn to "aquire the taste".
    PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
    Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
    Titleist 913Hd 20°
    PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
    Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
    Callaway ProType ix 9ht
  • bellkenbellken Members Posts: 780 ✭✭
    Bowmore 12 would a bit more peaty, iirc, if you want to go in that direction. Otherwise, the Balvenie Double Wood 12, and, Ablelour are very nice.
  • avragavrag Members Posts: 5,204 ✭✭
    Lagavulin 16 is always the one which will be empty first, while the Glenlivet 18 and Oban 14 don't go away that quickly.

I also have very fond memories of Isle of Jura 10, Laphroaig, Knockando and Talisker.

But if somebody asked me directly which one to bring, it would be Lagavulin 16 for sure.
    I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.
  • pgolf22pgolf22 Another 3 putt.... Members Posts: 98
    Bunnahabhain is very underrated in my opinion. Only tried the 12yo but will try the others at some point. Other favourites include Scapa, Glenlivet, Dalmore, Balvenie and the list goes on. More a fan of the speyside malts which tend to be the smoother malts. Got a Glenfiddich 12 year old special reserve that I will be cracking open at new year.
  • MrParr1NoidMrParr1Noid Bag For Sale ;) In the bunker..ClubWRX Posts: 7,212 ✭✭
    edited Mar 3, 2013 #44
    Back in the day it was Chevas Regal and Haig & Haig Pinch, 'n those are blends. But I still like em... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Now? I don't have the pocket book for much other'dn these but... don't really have a favorite either but the Dalwhinnie 15 is consistently enjoyable, and don't knock the Speyburn 10.

Dalwhinnie 15

Bowmore 15

Glenlivet 12

Glenlivet 18

Balvenie 12 double wood

Balvenie 15

Macallan 12

Speyburn 10
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    1 Club -- Adjustable
    1 Ball -- Very Long
    bought a 12 yr speyside cardhu this evening because carribbean cask was all sold out. decent, but nothing memorable.

price was right however: on sale for well under $40.

my local liquor store also had a dozen bottles of the newly released balvenie 17 year doublewood for $106 (suggested retail is $129). wowsers. it can't be worth it, can it?

somebody please talk me out of buying and trying this.

(15 mins. later)

i'm now into my second glass of cardhu, and it's growing on me. a lot. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • sefus12sefus12 Members Posts: 1,554 ✭✭
    Fairly new to the Scotch game (at least drinking it neat... always been a fan of a good Rusty Nail), but a recent favorite is Balvenie Double Wood. ****, every Scotch I've had from Balvenie has been exceptional.
    Nike CT 2.0 w/Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
    TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
    Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
    TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
    Odyssey Rossie FB1
    Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges
  • toomanydimplestoomanydimples Members Posts: 247
    Awesome, I'll give that a try real soon.

During my 2 week holiday, I managed to empty a bowmore 15 darkest, glenlivet 15 french oak reserve, and 2/3 of an aberlour 12, all with friends of course ; ). Leaving me with only 1/3 of my glenlivet 18 and almost a full bottle of aberlour a'bunadh (batch 42, 60.3%). The a'bunadh is pretty wicked though, it will definitely warm you up.

If you're looking to ease your way into a more peaty scotch, the bowmore 15 is pretty good. Not too heavy on the peat and finishes very sweet on the palette. I got the glenlivet 15 french reserve at a local bevmo for a very good price of $37.99 a few weeks before Christmas and it was probably the best value for quality that I've had in a while.

Imp wrote:

Honorable mention: Hibiki 12 which is a Japanese whiskey from the Suntory distillery and not "Scotch" but I really enjoyed this one and it was very smooth.
    I got a bottle of their Yamazaki 12 for xmas and cracked it open to share. Holy smoothness. Easy and creamy. The three others that partook were also as surprised. I also received a bottle of Glenmorangie's Artein Private Edition. 15 years, Super Tuscan casks. I'll save that for special occasions.

--kC
    Had a lagavulin special edition the other night while at some hoity toity foodie place that the wife wanted to go to.

Dumb question: When did 'small plates' become socially acceptable? They certainly were charging 'big plate' prices. I had four different plates of food and didn't get full.

At least the scotch was excellent. Gotta buy a bottle of this, it was fantastic.

Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,842 ✭✭
    I've added 3 or 4 new ones to the list

Tobermory 15 year old

Bruichladdich Sherry Cask

Ancnoc 16 yr old

All three above are fantastic and the Tobermory came in a sweet box
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • jaskanskijaskanski Members Posts: 9,250 ✭✭
    Lagavulin is certainly an acquired taste - smoked peat is an understatement really. Think Laphroig but richer.

Tried a Glenlivet 18 this christmas and was very satisfied with it. Other faves in the cabinet are a Knockando 12, good old Glenmorangie 10 and a rather nice 1977 Jura
    jaskanski wrote:

Lagavulin is certainly an acquired taste - smoked peat is an understatement really. Think Laphroig but richer.

Tried a Glenlivet 18 this christmas and was very satisfied with it. Other faves in the cabinet are a Knockando 12, good old Glenmorangie 10 and a rather nice 1977 Jura

my FIL likes the 15 yr glenlivet french oak that i bought him, but it was more 'meh' to me. i prefer the glenlivet 12 or 18 to their french oak bottle. never heard of or tried knockando or jura - how would you describe them?

thanks.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • MattTheTaffMattTheTaff Oh, I used to be disgusted.. and now I try to be amused Members Posts: 2,252
    I've come to conclusion over the last couple of months that Lagavulin 16 is my favourite. But it's frigging expensive
    Titleist 905R - 10.5°
    Titleist 904f - 17°
    Cleveland Mashie - 20.5°
    Mizuno MP32 - 3-PW
    Cleveland 588 Forged 54°/60°
    Wilson Staff 8882
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,167 ✭✭
    Never explored or developed a taste for scotch, but recently tried something that I found so unique and different that I had to pick up a bottle. Laphroig 10-yr. A very unusual earthy taste that has piqued my interest and perhaps launched me on a new journey.
    Welcome. As you get older tastes change. Try more.
    Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,365 ✭✭
    teejaywhy wrote:

Never explored or developed a taste for scotch, but recently tried something that I found so unique and different that I had to pick up a bottle. Laphroig 10-yr. A very unusual earthy taste that has piqued my interest and perhaps launched me on a new journey.

my friend raves about Laphroig and he is a scotch guy. He also had me try Ardbeg the other day which had a really interesting taste.

I've decided i'm a bourbon guy, however
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,167 ✭✭
    I think I've decided I'm a bourbon guy also. Even though I have yet to develop the taste for bourbon! ha ha. Support the home town product and all. But that is a different thread!
  • esketoresesketores Members Posts: 2,069
    Leaving Saturday for a week of golf in central Florida. The liquor store will determine what I buy on which all can imbibe.

I'm hoping Laphorig or Lagavulin 16 populate the shelves.

If no one likes it... all the more for me.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
    Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
    Titleist 913Hd 20°
    PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
    Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
    Callaway ProType ix 9ht
    esketores wrote:

Leaving Saturday for a week of golf in central Florida. The liquor store will determine what I buy on which all can imbibe.

I'm hoping Laphorig or Lagavulin 16 populate the shelves.

If no one likes it... all the more for me.
    Awesome. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

--kC
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,184 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

-Bowmore 12

-Glenfarclas 12

-Macallan 10 fine oak

-Balvenie double wood 12

-Aberlour 12

On your list I like the Balvenie a lot. Macallan's 18 is my favorite to keep on hand though. The Macallan's 10 is nothing to right home about. Try Oban 14 and one that I haven't seen anyone bring up is Jura...the 16 is really good. My cousins work for a liquor distributor in NYC and sent me some to try and it was great. Agree with a couple of others that the JW Blue is so-so...just overrated and not worth the price tag. I have a bottle at home and it stays full the longest. Whatever you decide to pour, just make sure you get a good smoke too i.e. Cohiba, Padron, etc.
  • CruisersCruisers Members Posts: 308
    teejaywhy wrote:

I think I've decided I'm a bourbon guy also. Even though I have yet to develop the taste for bourbon! ha ha. Support the home town product and all. But that is a different thread!

I love them both. So many friends of mine feel strongly about one over the other I just don't understand why. Obviously very different but I'm an equal opportunity whiskey drinker image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I've been experimenting lately (not like most in this thread!) and have determined I really enjoy the following:

Macallan

Oban

Lagavulin

Caol Ila

The only single malt I really didn't enjoy was Ardbeg, which is strange because I've liked all other Islays quite a bit.
    when i doubt, this is my go-to. for anyone who likes both bourbon and scotch, it's a must try.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1