Your favorite butter knife!

fluffy265fluffy265 Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 22, 2013 in Classic Golf And Golfers #1
Some us crazies still pull out a 1 iron occasionally, even if it is just to scare our playing partners. But lets face it, there is no satisfaction like that of a purely struck 1 iron.

Any way I just wanted hear about your favorite butter knives, who still carries them and hopefully see some pretty pics!

So fire away please.

J
Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
H&B Super Citation 4W
'63 MT FC4000 M1's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie"

Comments

• OldTomOldTom Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Still using a Wilson Fluid Feel 1 iron.

Realistically it has a similiar loft as a modern 3 iron. You could however ask the same question about 3 irons, there aren't too many of those around anymore.
  • dandodando Members Posts: 80
    I picked a pro original mizuno 1 iron off of ebay as i struggle hitting a driver and its the best £20 I think i have spent!
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2013 #4
    I'm very much a Ram Ho, have a few assorted models lying around. This is more or less the first choice 1 iron, it's a Vibration Matched model (can't quite see all of the stamping due to lead tape).

I have another with DGX that I had bent to 18°, was using it as a quasi 2 iron with another Ram set for which I had only 3-PW shafted up.

IMG_20130522_142743_755_zps05373107.jpg
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS 9.5* set to 10.5*, Xcaliber T6+, TS, 44.25", D6
    3w: Cobra King LTD, set to 15.5*, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5", D5
    3h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, DGS400, set std (18.5*)
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
    SW:  Scratch 8620 58*, DGS400
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • SurfinTurfSurfinTurf In like Flynn with my 8802 Members Posts: 4,466 ✭✭
    Yep^^^ image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Ram Axial 1i. Check out how thin the top line is. This one ain't mine. I draw the line at 2 iron image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
    TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
    Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
    Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
    Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
    The Wilson 8802
  • fluffy265fluffy265 Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SurfinTurf wrote:

Yep^^^ image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Ram Axial 1i. Check out how thin the top line is. This one ain't mine. I draw the line at 2 iron image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

That top line looks evil. I love it!

Strangely enough I tend to shun the 2 iron & opt for a 1 iron if I have the choice. However for me it's purely psychological, as a youngster my 2 iron shaft never matched the rest of my iron set, consequently I could never hit it. I never recovered from that . Twenty years later I'm still scarred....

j
    Yamaha W-602
    '58 MT PT1 2W
    H&B Super Citation 4W
    '63 MT FC4000 M1's
    Tad Moore "47 Rookie"
  • russadrussad Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    edited May 24, 2013 #7
    Here is mine that you have seen before in another post, I'll try and add a top line view later and maybe include a couple of 2 irons:
  • Nspiel58Nspiel58 Members Posts: 1,060
    edited May 24, 2013 #8
    I don't have a 1 iron, but this Golfsmith 2 iron is a beautiful straight shooter. It's nicely attached to a Precision Rifle 6.5 shaft. I have 2 through SW and would like to add a 1 iron if it were available somewhere. Great butter knives!
    edited May 26, 2013 #9
    A nice looking blade. Here are some more images of my Spalding Top Flite 1 and some assorted 2 irons which I reckon fall into the knife category. The numbered ferrule is from the Dunlop Maxfli which is a Peter Thompson Mark 5 model, I don't know it's vintage. The East Brothers is a Power Pact model with Brian Twite signature, because of the small EB56 stamp on the back it may have been made in 1956. East Brothers is an old Australian company that became Precision Golf Forging, and is now known as PGF. The Wilson is a 1200 model from 1976.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • teevonsteevons Members Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    recent pickup id this Wilson Staff Tour Blade 1 iron. Special order model, First time I have ever seen a bullet back with Tour Blade on sole. has serial special order numbers on hosel, real pretty club

also a bag full of butter knives
  • defaultoprimedefaultoprime Members Posts: 211
    I hit my first 1 Iron a week ago... Found it at Goodwill for $3... I hit it better than I hit my 21* Hybrid...

In fact, I liked it... and am considering putting it in my bag...

I'm a fool... HA!
    Taylormade Superfast V1 10.5*
    TE Strong 3 13* Steel shaft
    TEEX CB3 Tour 4W 16.5* Stock Motore
    E21 Hybrid 20*
    Ben Hogan Apex Edge 5-E Stiff
    Titleist Vokey 252-08
    Gigagolf SGS Wedges 56* & 60*
    Old OLD Zebra putter with a boat anchor's worth of weight added to the head
  • birly-shirlybirly-shirly Members Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    teevons wrote:

[...] a bag full of butter knives

That's probably the most responsible thing you can do with those. Round them up, put them in a bag, and keep them out of reach of curious little fingers...
  • Ironmaster OdditiesIronmaster Oddities Members Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 3, 2013 #13
    Here are a few 1-irons from the classic era.

MacGregor DX Tourney from the mid 1960's.

Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Dyna Power same era

First Flight Golden Eagle same era. Note the wide sole

MacGregor M-85 circa 1953

Walter Hagen 205 Tom Boy, pre WW II? Note also that this early club has sole weighting. Ahead of its time?
    Thanks for the photos, that Hagen Tom Boy dwarfs the others, can't see from the photo, is it a wooden shaft?
  • Ironmaster OdditiesIronmaster Oddities Members Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 3, 2013 #15
    russad wrote:

Thanks for the photos, that Hagen Tom Boy dwarfs the others, can't see from the photo, is it a wooden shaft?

Sorry I cut off the shaft in the photo. also, most of the size difference is an optical illusion, due to the angle at which I shot the pic. It is a steel with Pyratone, I believe. The shaft is a good inch or so shorter than the other 1-irons in the photo, which confuses me. I don't think it was a women's club.the grip looks original, so don't believe its been cut down. cut down. Kind of a Mystery.

But, 2 things are noticeable to me. 1. the Hagen has quite a bit of sole weighting when compared to other pre war clubs...and ,2. the Wilson Staff was really a quantum leap with regard to moving the weight from the hosel to other parts of the club head. MacGregor caught on with the MT's. But it was probably 15 years after the Haig.

Uncle bob
  • birly-shirlybirly-shirly Members Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

[...]

Notice hoe much shorter the hosel is on the Staff? They got on that weight distribution wagon before the other big boys.i think that is a big reason that staffs gained in popularity.

Uncle Bob

I'm sure that this is correct. I've seen Wilson adverts from way back in the day talking about how their bore through head design on dynapower irons let them take weight out of the hosel and move the clubhead CoG out towards the middle of the clubface. A shorted hosel would be entirely in keeping with the same philosophy. I wonder whether it was a shorter hosel insertion depth that led to them using those threaded shaft tips?
    They all look in great shape, love the signature on the Haig.
  • esketoresesketores Members Posts: 2,069
    PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
    Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
    Titleist 913Hd 20°
    PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
    Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
    Callaway ProType ix 9ht
  • Ol_PardnerOl_Pardner RTR Baby!!!! (ROLL-TIDE-ROLL!!!) Members Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭
    esketores wrote:

Hmm, uh, oversized-head, reverse-tapered pre-formed grip, you sure that one conforms to the guidelines?
  • Nspiel58Nspiel58 Members Posts: 1,060
    Gotta love Cutco. Now that's a butter knife!!!
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned Posts: 20,715
    I think with a balata ball a 1i at 16 odd degrees is still doable. Modern ball though forget it.
    Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
    Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
    Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
    All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon
  • Swoosh-ThudSwoosh-Thud Members Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 27, 2013 #23
    I agree, the current low spin ball makes using the older clubs very difficult. I'd love to use my S2H2 3&5w as pseudo-hybrids.

I have a brand new Ram Golden Ram 1i that needs a shaft along with the well used Golden Ram 1i FM 6.5 and a Ram Fx 1i with a Rifle 6.5 in it. I don't play them any more- my 3i is my favorite club in the bag.

I don't need a 1i as I deloft my irons and can hit 3i and 3w stingers 10' off the ground all day long.

PS Imagine what the club making forum would be like if all these "high launch/high spin" casters had to play with a balata ball. There'd be a whole new category on launch monitors- the suck back.............They'd be whining about their 124 ss, 6000 spin rate, 220 y carry and 20 y suck back on their drivers......
    JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
    Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
    Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
    Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
    Slighter Auburn
    The golfball is why I stayed out of the higher loft world for quite a long time. I played the quasi-wound balls for a long time (Maxfli A10, M3 Red or Black, Slaz Players, Wilson I-Wound), even years after they vanished from the market. Even still have some lying around.

I've wondered if having played those balls for so long, I subconsciously developed lower iron spin over the years, except for the occasional shot.

Not really topical, sorry for the minor threadjack...
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • Merion11Merion11 Members Posts: 29
    Ping Eye 2... Green dot
    Largest Collection of Online Golf Shops
    www.planetproshop.com
  • FrothFroth steel power. Members Posts: 2,475
    Wilson Staff Fluid Feel red dot hosel, I haven't bagged it in 10yrs. Will not get rid of it though...

Didn't Daly have a 0 Iron made? Esentially a 12 Degree Iron. Ugh...
    SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
    2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
    Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
    Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
    WITB Link
    Ah yes, the John Daly 0 iron.... back in the 90s, when he was with Wilson. According to a piece I found, it was indeed 12°.

Great fun. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    The Ever Changing Bag!

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,651 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    in the bag right now...Titleist 94 model tour model 1 iron...really not that hard to hit...but it freaks people out when they see my bag that goes driver then 1-9 iron and 3 wedges.... lol its all in what your used to in my opinion
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not I just sold a KZG 1 iron to a friend the other day. In my collection I have the following.

Hogan PC

Power Bilt Scotch Blade

Ping Eye 2. I carried and hit this club up until a year or so ago have had for 25 or so years. if it is really windy here I will pull out my 7 wood and substitute this because a 7 wood down here in the bad wind is as useless as a screen door on a submarine

Ping Karsten 1 have had since the 70s carried it in high school and in the late70s early 80s

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Irons 3 thru PW KZG Teardrop ( 2009) Forged CB 5.5 Rifle Flighted
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock
    Putter (for now) TM Rosa Daytona AGSI insert

• super20dansuper20dan Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mine is quite unusual. i bought it off a pga tour player. ping karsten 1 iron with titanum shaft and newman leather grip. mishits hurt like ****. people who ask to hit this club seldom ask to use it again. it really hurts! the rare flushed shot goes like a rocket. gives new meaning to the "stinger" shot
    73 hogan apex
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Hogan Apex Grind 1 iron, MP 14 1 iron and an MP 33 1 iron......

They are all in my garage with their original sets.

They are going to stay there.

SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file