what you want vs reality

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, its becoming a boring subject, especially on Golfwrx. NO ONE, has a viable solution, much less the influence needed to effect change across the player or course management spectrum.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15Β° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3iΒ to 9iΒ MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12,Β M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1409789515' post='10059939']
Honestly, its becoming a boring subject, especially on Golfwrx. NO ONE, has a viable solution, much less the influence needed to effect change across the player or course management spectrum.
[/quote]

Agreed. Some guys are slow, some guys are quick. Putting people on the clock is practically a gamble too. I've played with other members who were furious that the assistant pro told us (them) to pick up the pace.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1409845916' post='10063615']
[/quote]

Agreed. Some guys are slow, some guys are quick. Putting people on the clock is practically a gamble too. I've played with other members who were furious that the assistant pro told us (them) to pick up the pace.
[/quote]

I have been chastised for removing head covers for an entire round, yet consider the time involved when the group in front of you selects a club, removes the cover, takes a practice swing or two, decides to change clubs, places the head cover back on, selects another club, removes the cover, takes a practice swing or two, then fiddle farts around placing the club back in the bag, replacing the head cover before finally sauntering off. With todays clubs, you are not very likely to have paint removed from club rattle as much as you were in days past with painted persimmon, nor are they likely to dent/scratch. Walking is another story, much more impact on the clubs.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Β 

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 degΒ 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1412020072' post='10207351']
[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1409845916' post='10063615']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have been chastised for removing head covers for an entire round, yet consider the time involved when the group in front of you selects a club, removes the cover, takes a practice swing or two, decides to change clubs, places the head cover back on, selects another club, removes the cover, takes a practice swing or two, then fiddle farts around placing the club back in the bag, replacing the head cover before finally sauntering off. With todays clubs, you are not very likely to have paint removed from club rattle as much as you were in days past with painted persimmon, nor are they likely to dent/scratch. Walking is another story, much more impact on the clubs.
[/quote]
"[color=#282828]consider the time involved when the group in front of you selects a club, removes the cover, takes a practice swing or two, decides to change clubs, places the head cover back on, selects another club, removes the cover, takes a practice swing or two, then fiddle farts around placing the club back in the bag, replacing the head cover before finally sauntering off."[/color]

[color=#282828]Happens, i don't know, maybe once out of every 20 rounds or so. So of all the things to worry about, I would think this would not be up there.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played last Sunday in a foursome with my brother, my cousin, and my cousin's son (who is around 23). We teed off on the first hole when the group in front of us was reaching or on the green. We stayed in that relative position all round. The group behind us stayed about the same distance from us as we did the group ahead.

I felt the pace was relaxed and casual. No one rushed or dawdled. We did stop briefly at the turn for dogs. And we did spend some extra time looking for balls in the rough as it is leaf season around here.

I forgot to time it, but I believe we finished right at four hours.

• 2 weeks later...

You have proven it. You are a slow golfer.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9Β°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5Β°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18Β°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19Β°

Irons:Β Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24Β°-48Β°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52Β°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60Β°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1415721266' post='10429255']
You have proven it. You are a slow golfer.
[/quote]
In every single round posted my group was not setting the pace. Either the course was 100% full (or over-full) or there was a slower group in front of us. This latest round we were behind a group that we waited on just about every shot.

Talk about a weird fluke... We played in a foursome last weekend and finished in just under 4hrs; on Saturday no less in SoCA. We felt as though we were playing rather fast trying keep up with the 2some in front.

• TSR2 15Β° AD VF 74
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1415830180' post='10437081']
Talk about a weird fluke... We played in a foursome last weekend and finished in just under 4hrs; on Saturday no less in SoCA. We felt as though we were playing rather fast trying keep up with the 2some in front.
[/quote]
Four hours seems like a nice time to finish up in. But you'll run the risk of being called "slow" on here.

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1415894118' post='10440719']
[/quote]
Four hours seems like a nice time to finish up in. But you'll run the risk of being called "slow" on here.
[/quote]

I really don't care what Golfwrx extremists think. They are the exception, not the rule. Four hours is a nice pace, but less than that tends to be uncomfortable. My business is very fast paced, so when I am on the golf course an even relaxed pace is more to my liking.

• TSR2 15Β° AD VF 74
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1415904047' post='10441587']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I really don't care what Golfwrx extremists think. They are the exception, not the rule. Four hours is a nice pace, but less than that tends to be uncomfortable. My business is very fast paced, so when I am on the golf course an even relaxed pace is more to my liking.
[/quote]
We don't agree on everything - but here is one place we do agree.

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1415904396' post='10441617']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1415904047' post='10441587']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
We don't agree on everything - but here is one place we do agree.
[/quote]

If anyone agreed with me on everything, I'd be concerned, maybe even call the white coats. :drinks:

• TSR2 15Β° AD VF 74
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1398688638' post='9185843']
Given that golf season is underway again for the majority of the country I am going to start posting the following information for my rounds: Type of Course (Public vs Private), Day of Week (note holiday, if applicable), Start Time, Total Elapsed Time. I will do this only when playing as a foursome or when playing as a twosome or threesome and having the foursomes in front of us setting the pace.

So far here are my three rounds of the year:

Public course - Sunday - 9:25 AM - 4 hrs 15 mins
Public course - Monday (Holiday) - 1:00 PM - 4 hrs 20 mins
Public course - Sunday - 9:55 AM - 4 hrs 35 mins

I encourage others to post there round information on this thread as well. As more data becomes available I'll post averages and statistical analyses as make sense.

My hypothesis going in is that as much as some people can and want to play 3 1/2 hours rounds that the majority of time this is not going to be a reality. Factors involved obviously will be Public vs Private courses (Private will be faster due to less crowding and generally better players), Day of Week (Weekends obviously would be slower), and Start Time (early mornings and other "off hours" will be faster). My other hypothesis going in will be how, for me at least, consistent the times will be in the 4:15-4:30 range.
[/quote]

I played ~70-80 times this season last 9 holes was yesterday before the weather changed here in DC. Combination of public and private....and as it relates to POP - I'd say your theory is validated. :)

Personal observations:

I've played 10 times this year (private) within the first two hours of tee times - where play is warned/mandated that it's a 3:30 POP. Successfully met that POP or beat it - each time. Fastest time was 3 of us - 2:50. But it's definitely a different mindset. "Get to the ball and be ready to hit - chat on the tee boxes and greens". To me this can be a lot of fun - particularly if you hit it straight. It's less formal and moves quicker and you get all the benefits of the "fun" parts of golf without any of the delays and drags. But it IS fast...and if you're hitting it sideways - you can feel like you're the slowpoke and pressured. You get on between 7-9am and you're usually home before noon. The best part about it is the EXPECTATION of a fast round - and you can plan around it. Can't find that reliably in public courses. But many people (private or public) don't like this pace. For me, occasionally this is a terrific option.

Other than that - I think you're right - other private rounds are generally 3:45-4:15...and my public rounds are about 4:30ish. I've played 6 rounds where it reached 4:30 or after but all charity scrambles. I have also quit 4 rounds b/c they were slow (over 2 hours on the front 9).

The overall benefit of privates is that it gives you a lot more flexibility to cherry pick your times that match your time schedule with an expectation of "accurate" POP - with a higher likelihood of meeting those expectations.

• 2 weeks later...