2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

what you want vs reality

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1399849340' post='9275439']
Fifth round of the year on the fifth different course:

Public course - Sunday - 12:20 PM - 4 hrs 55 mins.

Average for five rounds: 4 hrs 34 mins
[/quote]

Honestly after the five rounds you must realize that lowering that average will never happen when you're playing at noon during the weekend. Say you get the first tee time, you're done in 3. Easy. Where I'm located (Western Michigan), I have been a member at a semi private for 9 years (I'm only in college, so still half my lifetime) and just started working at the course. I've seen maybe only 25% of the other members during my whole ten years there. You know why? Because the only times I play a round are 7 AM or 6 PM. The perfect times for golf. IMO of course.

44.5" X Flex Student Loans up my-
Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Tour Trusty RF Proto 55, 60
Ontic Signature Series II Blade
Sun Mountain Swift X

[quote name='GoldenBearCub' timestamp='1399862810' post='9276807']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1399849340' post='9275439']
Fifth round of the year on the fifth different course:

Public course - Sunday - 12:20 PM - 4 hrs 55 mins.

Average for five rounds: 4 hrs 34 mins
[/quote]

Honestly after the five rounds you must realize that lowering that average will never happen when you're playing at noon during the weekend. Say you get the first tee time, you're done in 3. Easy. Where I'm located (Western Michigan), I have been a member at a semi private for 9 years (I'm only in college, so still half my lifetime) and just started working at the course. I've seen maybe only 25% of the other members during my whole ten years there. You know why? Because the only times I play a round are 7 AM or 6 PM. The perfect times for golf. IMO of course.
[/quote]
Wee yea. But the question isn't how fast is it conceivable for a foursome to play given the right players at the right time on the right course, etc. The question is how fast does the [i]average round actually take[/i].

Ah I understand now. I don't know how you do it. I could never consistently play 4:30 rounds. My game generally goes something like with every extra ten minutes of play I gain a stroke due to impatience. Say I shoot a relaxed, peaceful 74 in a three hour foursome. Doing the math, for a 4:30 round that 74 would slowly, frustratingly turn into an 83. Nobody wants that. Not a scratch golfer, not a beginner, nobody. It's putting a stint in the growth of the game!

44.5" X Flex Student Loans up my-
Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Tour Trusty RF Proto 55, 60
Ontic Signature Series II Blade
Sun Mountain Swift X

[quote name='GoldenBearCub' timestamp='1399900003' post='9278203']
Ah I understand now. I don't know how you do it. I could never consistently play 4:30 rounds. My game generally goes something like with every extra ten minutes of play I gain a stroke due to impatience. Say I shoot a relaxed, peaceful 74 in a three hour foursome. Doing the math, for a 4:30 round that 74 would slowly, frustratingly turn into an 83. Nobody wants that. Not a scratch golfer, not a beginner, nobody. It's putting a stint in the growth of the game!
[/quote]
I would have preferred to play faster than 4:55, but I also don't get upset by it either. I don't ever see "slow play" as being anyone's "fault". As I've mentioned I have never seen anyone do any of the exaggerations that people cite as leading to slow play. I almost never see "gaps" in the course. Yesterday on the 10th we had to hang back as the group in front of us were waiting on the tee. When they teed off we drove up. From that vantage point we could see the group in from of us heading towards their shots, the group in front of them on the green, the group in front of them waiting on the 11th tee, and the group in front of them on the 11th green (par 3). I don't what was in front of them. So who am I going to get upset with in that situation?

The odd thing was that there was literally no one behind us. It was Mother's day after all and the course, over-all, was quiet.

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1398824853' post='9200775']
[quote name='MNoonan' timestamp='1398810889' post='9198825']
My club enforces a strict 4hr round . Not a minute over, no excuse for play any slower
[/quote]

What is the consequence for a 4+ hour round?

What if only one in the group is cause for a over-limit round? All in the group are punished?

What about the other groups behind the slow group? Penalized as well?

Without clear and concise sanctions the rule is unenforceable.
[/quote]

If over the 4hr limit, you're approached by the ranger notifying you that you need to pick up the pace. Refuse to speed up, you have your playing privileges suspended for a few days, ultimately if its such an issue, asked not to come back.

The course isnt long, old Donald Ross where the tee boxes are next to the greens. They get alot of play everyday, one slow group in the morning effects pace of play all day.

Ping G400 MAX
Callaway XR 16 Pro 16
Callaway XR 16 Pro 18
Titleist 716 AP2
Titleist Vokey 52 F
Titleist Vokey 58 M
Evnroll ER5
Titleist ProV1

Played four rounds in the last three weeks. All private.

First two: First round: 3 hours on a Sunday morning at 9:30, walking (almost running)...Second round took a bit longer. Played 36 that day between 9:30 and 5:00 with a sit down lunch in between. First group was a three-some. Second group was a two-some.

Next one: 3:45, 7:00 tee time, walking. Friday morning. Four-some.

Next one: 2:30. Tee off at 11:30 on a Thursday. Two players. Finished at 2:00. Went back to work. Thought about playing another 18 before dark. Basically a long lunch break from work.

In the height of summer, my rounds are no more than 4:15-4:30 with a slow group. Golf is not slow, people are slow.

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1399924569' post='9281093']
Played four rounds in the last three weeks. All private.

First two: First round: 3 hours on a Sunday morning at 9:30, walking (almost running)...Second round took a bit longer. Played 36 that day between 9:30 and 5:00 with a sit down lunch in between. First group was a three-some. Second group was a two-some.

Next one: 3:45, 7:00 tee time, walking. Friday morning. Four-some.

Next one: 2:30. Tee off at 11:30 on a Thursday. Two players. Finished at 2:00. Went back to work. Thought about playing another 18 before dark. Basically a long lunch break from work.

In the height of summer, my rounds are no more than 4:15-4:30 with a slow group. Golf is not slow, people are slow.
[/quote]
Only foursomes are included in the analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1402316162' post='9458021']
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Semi-private course - Sunday - 10:30 PM - 4 hrs 15 mins.[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Average for seve rounds: 4 hrs 33 mins[/background][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Are you waiting to hit shots on every hole? This pace would just kill me

Last four rounds have been with less than a foursome so I know they don't count but:

Sunday, 5/25 private course, walking and carrying in a threesome, 3:30

Saturday, 5/31 private course, walking and carrying in a threesome, 3:18

Saturday, 6/7 private course, cart in a twosome, 3:05. Was playing with a co-worker who is a human rain delay so glad it was just a twosome.

Sunday, 6/8 public course, cart and same coworker twosome 3:38! It is like playing with an actual glacier sometimes when I watch him move. Also, I am fairly sure he falls into a coma or trance before pulling the trigger. Great guy though and would be a much better player if he spent less time going through what I can only imagine is a checklist of ~300 items before he pulls the trigger. :)

[quote name='cassel191919' timestamp='1402318845' post='9458271']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1402316162' post='9458021']
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Semi-private course - Sunday - 10:30 PM - 4 hrs 15 mins.[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Average for seve rounds: 4 hrs 33 mins[/background][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Are you waiting to hit shots on every hole? This pace would just kill me
[/quote]
Yes there is typically waiting involved. I'm not sure I'd say waiting on every hole ...

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1402864807' post='9501021']Everyone can't wait to get on the golf course, then...

...everyone can't wait to get off the golf course.[/quote]
I would honestly rather not play than to play in 4:50. Had I known it would be like that I would have done something else. Waiting on every shot for all 18 holes is not the game I want to play.

Played this weekend as a fivesome, all walking, carrying own bags.... Private course, 8:30 tee time, 3 hours 50 minutes to play.

4 hours for a foursome should be standard, anything longer is ridiculous. Play ready golf and keep moving and this is easy. Too many times i see people waiting in carts for their partner to hit, then drive up to their ball, preshot routine. if they had just walked to their ball when their partner was getting ready they would be hitting. Saves at least 30 seconds a shot and that adds up. If anyone is trying to justify longer than four hours rounds they are part of the problem......

[quote name='cu1998tigers' timestamp='1403541200' post='9558365']
Played this weekend as a fivesome, all walking, carrying own bags.... Private course, 8:30 tee time, 3 hours 50 minutes to play.

4 hours for a foursome should be standard, anything longer is ridiculous. Play ready golf and keep moving and this is easy. Too many times i see people waiting in carts for their partner to hit, then drive up to their ball, preshot routine. if they had just walked to their ball when their partner was getting ready they would be hitting. Saves at least 30 seconds a shot and that adds up. If anyone is trying to justify longer than four hours rounds they are part of the problem......
[/quote]
Again, what you want to happen or what you think should happen vs what does happen are two different things.

Private course Saturday morning. 8:30 tee time. All of us in our own carts. Very relaxed pace, but no dawdling. Very much ready golf. Finished and settling bets at 11:00.

Second 18 of the day, same course. Not quite as fast players and just two carts. Tee off at 11:30. Finished and on the way home just shortly after 4:00. Probably should mention. Nearly an hour rain delay.

I love playing a private in a rural, agriculture area.