Aimpoint Express: User Tips and Tricks

NOTE: I don't want this to be a thread about the basics of how Aimpoint Express (APE) works. If you aren't familiar with it, go to a clinic/private lesson or read the multiple threads explaining the technique.

This is for current users of APE.

What are some of the tricks and tips you've developed as you've used APE as your primary green-reading method? I just heard of the "knee pop" trick from Dornstar in the last couple days (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1202080-how-to-get-better-at-reading-greens/) and am messin around with that currently, but there are some other aspects that I've modified to fit my needs, as well as some that I'm still not sure about.

1) I always stand behind the ball and visually inspect wherever the slope is most severe, then get my read on that point. Sometimes this is closer to the ball, sometimes closer to the hole, but I've found that for me, reading the maximum break that I can observe just in a quick visual inspection results in the most accurate read.

2) Double breakers: I'll get both reads (again at the most severe point for each), then put about a 2/1 emphasis on the break closer to the hole. Let's say I have a 2% right to left breaking putt for ten feet that turns into a 4% left to right as it gets to the hole. I'll turn that into a 2% left to right total and just read it from the hole like a normal 2%'er.

3) 2:1 ratio for downhill/uphill. If I read 2% on an uphill putt, I'll play it 1.5%. If I read 2% on a downhill putt, I'll play it 3%.

4) Inside 6 feet I just use a traditional read. I've messed around with a lot of the different options that APE presents but have never gotten comfortable with any of them.

One of the big keys I'm hoping someone will have a trick for is those 8-15 foot putts that have very little break. Putts that for all intents and purposes look and feel flat and you can't tell if they have break or not.....anyone have any pearls of wisdom here other than hit it at the middle of the hole? lol, those are the putts I have the hardest time with after switching to APE.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I find the Baillie method extremely helpful.

I haven't used my chart in a while, but when I did I was really good at reading double breakers.

I will straddle my line if I think the break may change.

I still look at anchor points. And if I'm near the low anchor I use that as a guide. And if I'm at the low anchor, I don't use Express, I just aim it at the hole.

RH

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1436556610' post='11924836']

I haven't used my chart in a while, but when I did I was really good at reading double breakers.

I still look at anchor points. And if I'm near the low anchor I use that as a guide. And if I'm at the low anchor, I don't use Express, I just aim it at the hole.

RH
[/quote]

Rich,

what is the Bailie method?

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1436561757' post='11925372']
[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1436556610' post='11924836']

RH
[/quote]

Rich,

what is the Bailie method?
[/quote]
the name for the knee popping method

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Double Breakers: Total pain in the A$$ but this is how I was taught with APE
Step 1: find the place where the putt switches from one to the other
Step 2: do an aimpoint read of the putt from the switch point back to the ball, and the switch point to the hole.
Step 3: Convert the number to inches you aim, For example, you have a 2 from the switch point, so you read from there and see the aimpoint is 6 inches right of the hole, and from the ball to the switch point you have a 3, and that makes the aimpoint 18 inches left
Step 4: Do math and see that 18 inches left and 6 inches right makes 12 inches left
Step 5: Hit the ball 12 inches left, *goes in*, *single pistol*

[quote name='AlecEmersonGolf' timestamp='1436566698' post='11925794']
Step 2: do an aimpoint read of the putt from the switch point back to the ball, and the switch point to the hole.
Step 3: Convert the number to inches you aim, For example, you have a 2 from the switch point, so you read from there and see the aimpoint is 6 inches right of the hole, and from the ball to the switch point you have a 3, and that makes the aimpoint 18 inches left
Step 4: Do math and see that 18 inches left and 6 inches right makes 12 inches left
[/quote]
I was taught for a double breaker to measure the middle point of the putt and play that as the break?

[quote name='kacer' timestamp='1436592736' post='11927694']
[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1436583171' post='11927100']You aimpointers need to pick up your pace. You're on the clock.[/quote]

We'll take 30 seconds to read a putt and putt once, you keep three putting away out there and slow up play.
[/quote]
couldn't have put it better myself

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1436583171' post='11927100']You aimpointers need to pick up your pace. You're on the clock.[/quote]

We'll take 30 seconds to read a putt and putt once, you keep three putting away out there and slow up play.
[/quote]

Guaranteed one putts. Who knew.

Could you notify the tour players that use the method and tell them they are unperforming because they should be one putting?

It's nice you guys found a method to help with your lack of green reading ability but you might want to tone down the bs.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436602734' post='11927890']
[/quote]
I was taught for a double breaker to measure the middle point of the putt and play that as the break?

[/quote] In my experience this is more precise. The only draw back is it takes about 3 times as long as a normal aimpoint read because you have to read it like 2 different putts then combine them

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1436583171' post='11927100']
You aimpointers need to pick up your pace. You're on the clock.
[/quote]
I've played in quite a few tournaments over the past year and most of the Aimpoint guys were significantly faster. They eye readers are sitting there looking at the putt from every angle.

[quote name='AlecEmersonGolf' timestamp='1436623763' post='11928616']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436602734' post='11927890']
[/quote]

[/quote] In my experience this is more precise. The only draw back is it takes about 3 times as long as a normal aimpoint read because you have to read it like 2 different putts then combine them
[/quote]
I was taught to do a read for each section.

1. First section is a 2....halve it to 1 (due to the speed of the ball at that point).

2. Second section is a 3.

3. Subtract 1 from 3 and you have a 2 read.

Gets me in the ballpark more often than not.

Interesting

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1436583171' post='11927100']
You aimpointers need to pick up your pace. You're on the clock.
[/quote]

My putting routine is faster than anybody I've ever played with. This comes from the 30 handicapper to the PGA Tour player.

By the time I step up to the putt (and I don't take practice strokes), my read was done a long time ago.

RH

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1436612785' post='11928070']

[/quote]

Could you notify the tour players that use the method and tell them they are unperforming because they should be one putting?

It's nice you guys found a method to help with your lack of green reading ability but you might want to tone down the bs.
[/quote]

The thing is....quite a few Tour players use AimPoint. Including excellent putters like Lydia Ko, Stacy Lewis, Brian Gay, Ben Crane and Daniel Summerhays.

RH

[quote name='jut111' timestamp='1436646025' post='11929956']
only learned AE a few weeks back and haven't had any non-solo rounds since. How do you guys deal with getting your read with 4 balls around the cup? pretty decent odds you'll be walking through someones line no?
[/quote]
Putts inside of 7', you're doing your foot read BEHIND the ball and will never step in someone's line since they would be away. They'll putt and then you do your foot read without a line to step in.

Outside of 7', you're doing a "middle third" read which is never really around the cup.... 3-4 foot max. If someone's line is near yours, go to the closest spot you can get in that "middle third" that you won't step in their line or yours which is against the rules in case you didn't know. There's ALWAYS a place to get a read.

[quote name='jut111' timestamp='1436646025' post='11929956']
only learned AE a few weeks back and haven't had any non-solo rounds since. How do you guys deal with getting your read with 4 balls around the cup? pretty decent odds you'll be walking through someones line no?
[/quote]

It hasn't affected anyone I have played with, just stay about a foot off the intended line and you'll be fine.

Yeah, stepping into somebody's line has never been a problem for me. A lot of the reads can be done from behind the ball. If the slope changes then I want to get a read near where the slope changes. If not because I'm in fear of stepping in somebody's line, I can eyeball it and get the read. If it's not perfect, so be it. Beats completely guessing.

RH

[/quote]

It was a joke. Plus, I use a sexton, so I'm pretty quick, as long as there's a horizon.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1436645692' post='11929932']
[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1436612785' post='11928070']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The thing is....quite a few Tour players use AimPoint. Including excellent putters like Lydia Ko, Stacy Lewis, Brian Gay, Ben Crane and Daniel Summerhays.

RH
[/quote]

I don't remember saying they didn't.

OK let's get this thread back on track, posting helpful tips that users have found, if you want to bash it and troll aimpoint express please start another thread or do it in the main AE thread. Don't clog up and deter from what could be a very beneficial thread to a lot of people

• Like 1

What's a ballpark amount of time it takes to learn it, and then did you switch over to it with complete confidence once you had it understood? Sorry that's not a tip but I'm interested... also, at 64, the bottoms of my feet don't have as much feel as they used to have, where do you get most of the feel from? thanks

[quote name='SixtySomePing' timestamp='1436699787' post='11932954']
What's a ballpark amount of time it takes to learn it, and then did you switch over to it with complete confidence once you had it understood? Sorry that's not a tip but I'm interested... also, at 64, the bottoms of my feet don't have as much feel as they used to have, where do you get most of the feel from? thanks
[/quote]

I think with the Baillie method it's easier to learn it more quickly. Even without it, you just have to practice it enough to get the feel for what 2% is versus 3%, 1%, 4%, etc.

If you have more than 4%...you're very unlikely to make a putt anyway. That's why most good courses don't have many slopes more than 4%. If they do, their greens are incredibly slow.

RH

[quote name='SixtySomePing' timestamp='1436699787' post='11932954']
[/quote]to get the feel of what a 1,2,3, and 4 were it took me about 30 minutes, and i switched over immediatly

Thank you. Yesterday I was watching Stacey Lewis using it on the LPGA and she was missing some putts long. I don't think I would blame it on APE though, it just seemed like they had too much speed. So am I correct in assuming whether you use APE or not for break, the same skills in figuring the speed of your putts apply?