Eidolon

GwrxMod

Eidolon Golf looks to become a serious player in the wedge market with a trio of innovative designs. Each sole is broken up into two bounce sections: The leading edge portion of the sole features very high bounce while the sole near the trailing edge features minimal bounce. This bounce angle structure allows the club to be opened or closed easily to play a wide variety of shots without the club digging into or bouncing off the turf. Each groove is individually CNC milled after initially mailing the face flat (a revolutionary extra step) for high levels of spin.

• 2 months later...

first: not much of an gear-testing-guy but i´d like to share my experiences with this (in my opinion outstanding) wedge

second: i´m from austria so please be gentle with my spelling or grammar :rolleyes:

...tried different wedges now, from titleist spin milled to cleveland cg and so on... heared of eidolon company from a friend of mine. i simply liked the fact, that a company spezialises in making one thing so i decided to give them a try.

looks:

beautiful as a wedge can be! very clean, shiny chrome finish and traditional looking with a quite small head size. nothing more, nothing less... also very traditional looking at adress, not much of an offset, clear lines and again the small headsize comes to my eye.

the v-sole and the cnc milled face are two of the trademarks of eidolon wedges. both strike your eye immediately.

feel:

first i noticed that this wedge feels quite heavy in hands compared to others (titleist, cleveland, especially mizunos)... not that it is a bad thing, but i first needed to get used to it.

feel on shots is remarkably soft! although they are not forged, i can´t imagine to get any better for me... two things that might explain this: first as i mentioned the "heavier" head and second the shaft... i play this wedge with a rifle spinner shaft in 4.5 (!!!) ... wedge shafts need to be soft for spin control and feel imo and with this wedge, the shaft works just perfect! you can really "feel" the shaft work.

from chips, to pitches, half or full swings the wedge delivered brilliant feedback on how the ball was struck. sound is far away from "clicking" (as for example titleist for me) and is much more on the "thacking" side (omg, please help :crazy: ) ...here i have to say that i really start loving the heavier feel of this club! just puts really solid feel in my hands and also supports a confident swing attacking the ball and swing through it imo.

performance:

serious amount of spin! the cnc milled face does an excellent job and again the shaft adds up to it... if i was confident enough to attack the ball right, the wedge does the rest. very good lenghts control but due to the high spin rate quite a few yards shorter than with others... keep this in mind if you pick your loft (or pick a harder distance ball?). now to the v-sole-thing: i have not been enlightened or became single handicapper just because of the fact, that my wedge bears 2 different loft angles so don´t expect any wonders. what i do notice is that this wedge (due to the v-sole?) offers really great versatility to the single club! a real workhorse! ...because of the big "versatility-promise" from the website, i started experimenting with the club. this wedge INVITED me to "work" on shots and gave me instant results (good and bad... but either way understandable)! ...and it just works out perfect! with practice you will start enjoying playing the same shots with the same wedge in different ways. especially with the face open, v-sole enables a solid contact minimizing the chance of hitting thin shots, still providing enough bounce to keep you from digging too deep into the sand/rough/ground... in fact i now play much more shots with only one wedge, as i played with 3 earlier!!!

to be honest: i may have achieved all the things with other wedges too but this is/was the only one which gave me enough confidence and decent results in time to go on with practice, leaving the pitching green/training bunker with a feel of really having made a step forward in my game bit by bit...

price:

hefty imo ...on the other hand worth every dime of it!

...i´m very pleased with this wedge and will soon add a second one to my bag. needs practice but rewards every minute of it!

opinions on this review and other experiences highly welcome!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think I am going into my 4th year with my 3 Eidolon wedges. I have tried others, but nothing has performed better for me. I am not a great ball striker so I rely heavily on getting up and down in order to be at all competitive. These wedges really spin the ball--even the two piece balls.

After three (maybe even 4, now that I think of it) seasons, the face on the SW is a bit grotie looking, but it still spins the dickens out of the ball. Getting out of most bunkers is easier than most wedges that I've tried as well.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive got 3 of the Eidolon wedges in the bag now. 52,56,60 deg standard finish.
4 more in route from them as i type this. 48, 51, 54, 57 in oil can finish with comp grooves.

Very very happy with this company and their products. Customer service is top notch!!!!! They will work to make sure you are happy.

Thank you to BO from Eidolon :0

Cheers all

Jim

• 2 months later...

While I'm still in the testing phase through about seven rounds with the Eidolon wedges, I must say that I'm very impressed. Mine are fitted with KBS V-Launch shafts. I love the weight, balance and feel to them.

Over the past few seasons, I've bounced back and forth between CG14's and Vokey Spin-Milled. The Vokeys spin great yet I was more accurate with the CG14's. Vokeys won for short pitches and chips, preferred the Clevelands on full swings.

So far so good with the Eidolons. I seem to enjoy similar accuracy compared to the CG14's and spin comparable to the Vokeys on chips and short approaches. Quality wedges, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 52, 56, and 60 with the oil can finish. It took a bit of time to learn how to use the dual sole, but I am getting fairly good with them.
My biggest nemisis used to be the flop shot out of or over a greenside bunker, now it is one of my favorites. The 60 has saved my but many times.
As for the company, I was quite impressed, with their attention to my fit. This company should get shelve space in all of the golf shops.
I also just bought a set of Nike vr forged with the old grooves. A friend has 3 sets of these, and loves them. I am looking forward to the range,
so I can compare. I couldn't turn the nike wedges down at $40 each.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey snow let us know how they compare when you get a chance. It would be good to hear about your thoughts on them.
The Eidolons are still in my bag and i love them. Do get some snickers that laugh at me on the course with their "name" bag, clubs, balls, shoes, belt buckle, ball marker etc. But i think they realize quickly that the Eidolon wedges are a great equipment company with a very good product!!

Looking forward to trying the Scor product line as well.

• 2 months later...

I owned the Gap 52 for over a year and was so impressed I had to buy a Sand 56 last Dec.

These are the[b] BEST wedges[/b] I've ever owned and certainly the [u]highest spinning[/u]. (I'm talking serious bite here!) Mine are fitted with KBS tour shafts.

They look good and feel great the V-sole gives so much playability from all lies.

I've had the Adams Tom Watsons, Ben Hogan Colonials (v nice too and seriously good looking!) Cleveland CG10, Cobra Phil Rodgers, Snake Eyes 655TM (Good budget Wedge) and Mizuno MPT's.

All of these wedges in one way or another are good But all are not as good as the Eidolons. IMO I think only the Hogan's look better.

I cannot recommend these enough, well done Eidolon these bring a smile to my face every round :rolleyes:

Driver for Show Putter for dough!

• 2 months later...

I love my 52* wedge! I got a R300U cut down from a 5 iron so it gives it great feel partytime2.gif I can't think of any shot since having it when I mis-hit it seriously good! yahoo.gif

Club: Chevin Golf Club Handicap: 2
Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* Driver Shafts: Tour AD P9003, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 3 Wood: Ping G410 LST Tour AD P9003X, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 2 Hybrid: Ping G410 17* KBS Prototype 85X 3 Hybrid: Ping G410 22* KBS Prototype 85X Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 24* Apex MB Raw 18’ 5-9 Iron KBS TG1 100 Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 46* KBS Tour Callaway MD4, 52*, 58* KBS TGI 100 Putters: Odyssey Arm Lock 1 Wide plus many other Arm Locks haha

• 3 months later...

Since my last post I ended up buying a set of the eidolon wedges in 51, 57 and 60 the 51 and 57 are fitted with r300 shafts and the 60 has got a rifle spinner 6.0 these wedges these wedges even replaced my vega wedge! and the best was all three for £70!

Club: Chevin Golf Club Handicap: 2
Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* Driver Shafts: Tour AD P9003, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 3 Wood: Ping G410 LST Tour AD P9003X, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 2 Hybrid: Ping G410 17* KBS Prototype 85X 3 Hybrid: Ping G410 22* KBS Prototype 85X Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 24* Apex MB Raw 18’ 5-9 Iron KBS TG1 100 Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 46* KBS Tour Callaway MD4, 52*, 58* KBS TGI 100 Putters: Odyssey Arm Lock 1 Wide plus many other Arm Locks haha

• 3 years later...

Eidolon Golf looks to become a serious player in the wedge market with a trio of innovative designs. Each sole is broken up into two bounce sections: The leading edge portion of the sole features very high bounce while the sole near the trailing edge features minimal bounce. This bounce angle structure allows the club to be opened or closed easily to play a wide variety of shots without the club digging into or bouncing off the turf. Each groove is individually CNC milled after initially mailing the face flat (a revolutionary extra step) for high levels of spin.

I am curious, where do they mail the face to in order for it to be rendered flat?

• 11 months later...

I just got a 51 and 57 in great condition at $13.00 a piece. Nice looking wedges I look forward to trying them ou.t

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]