Mizuno MP-54 irons

2»

Comments

• nyj3712nyj3712 Members  106WRX Points: 41Handicap: 8.6Posts: 106 Fairways
    This will be my sixth season with the MP54's. Great iron. The shafts are KBS 120S. I've been hitting other irons recently to see what's better and nothing has jumped out.
    Posted:
    New York Jets
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX  15953WRX Points: 1,265Posts: 15,953 ClubWRX
    nyj3712 wrote:

This will be my sixth season with the MP54's. Great iron. The shafts are KBS 120S. I've been hitting other irons recently to see what's better and nothing has jumped out.
    These were one of two of the best Pocket CB’s that I hit, though I kept the 68’s and then the Staff 59’s in the bag. Though I’m currently not Playing, as I said above, with the right shaft, those are killer irons!!

Actually the best feeling pocket CB’s that I hit were the Nike VR TW pocket CB 4/5i’s from a split set that Maddie was Playing at the time(She Plays a DG Man’s R). She had 4/5i in the pocket CB and the rest of the set was MB. Those irons felt as close to my Staff 59’s as any CB ever has, pocket CB or not. However I believe that they might have produced that pocket CB only in 4-6i, for that split set and not in a complete set. That’s too bad cuz one, they were beautiful and streamlined as you had to pick the iron up and examine it to see that it had the pocket, and secondly, they felt incredible with that crisp “click” that I love, lol.

Anyhoo, I’d reckon that your 54’s are still as good as anything out there, and just as when they were first produced, better than most.

All the Best this season⛳️

RP
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • MooMoo Members  544WRX Points: 203Handicap: 9Posts: 544 Golden Tee
    Love mine. About to start my third season with them. They replaced my MP-57, which after 8 or 9 years I actually wore the face down on the P, 9, and 8 (first set of irons I actually played until close to worn out).

That said, I still prefer the divot my buddies MP-4's make, but the MP-57 is significantly easier for me to hit well.
    Posted:
    Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
    Bridgestone B XS the ONLY ball I'll play.  It's sticky, like a sticky bun!
  • B-ManB-Man silky smooth Members  1379WRX Points: 201Handicap: +0.0Posts: 1,379 Platinum Tees
    They're okay.

Posted:
    Vapor Speed Driver
    TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW
    TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW
    Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, 56/10, 60/9
    TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
    BOOM!
  • tigerfan23tigerfan23 Members  7987WRX Points: 354Posts: 7,987 Titanium Tees
    IF I recall they were actually similar to MP53 which re the best irons i've ever played.

In fact I think they were even a tad bigger than the MP53s which would make them uber forgiving.
    Posted:

SIM MAX 10.5
    SIM MAX 15

PXG 0311 P GEN 3 3-PW DG120
    PXG 0311 FORGED 52 56 60 DG120

2020 NEWPORT

• tgolfer78tgolfer78 Members  170WRX Points: 33Posts: 170 Fairways
    one of the last good MP irons
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers  3040WRX Points: 305Posts: 3,040 Titanium Tees
    kgeorge78 wrote:
    IF I recall they were actually similar to MP53 which re the best irons i've ever played.

In fact I think they were even a tad bigger than the MP53s which would make them uber forgiving.

Mp 54s are slightly smaller
    Posted:
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX  15953WRX Points: 1,265Posts: 15,953 ClubWRX
    ssfranny wrote:

kgeorge78 wrote:

Exactly, they were the second gen 53’s, and more streamlined and “cleaner,” especially in the case back and pocket area.

The 53’s are an excellent iron however they always looked “rough” to me compared to the 54’s

Those are gorgeous!

Stay well🍻

RP
    Posted:
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • reider69reider69 Members  643WRX Points: 107Handicap: golfPosts: 643 Golden Tee
    I played the 54s with Ctaper X shaft for over a year. I loved the look of them in the bag and they felt great when hit in middle. However.....the ball flight was very very high for me and misses fell way short of green. Not the most forgiving iron. PW-8 were not attractive to my eye. Upgraded to 900 forged and like absolutely everything about them better than the 54s except for appearance in the bag. 900 forged feel more powerful and less buttery but I actually prefer that. Scoring irons are much better looking as well. 54s are definitely an MP iron meant for a better player who prefers feel and consistency to distance. I feel the MMC is also a much superior to the 54 in performance and is an iron in the same class size wise and handicap.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers  3040WRX Points: 305Posts: 3,040 Titanium Tees
    ssfranny wrote:

kgeorge78 wrote:

Exactly, they were the second gen 53&#146;s, and more streamlined and &#147;cleaner,&#148; especially in the case back and pocket area.

The 53&#146;s are an excellent iron however they always looked &#147;rough&#148; to me compared to the 54&#146;s

Those are gorgeous!

Stay well&#4322171;

RP

I agree I liked looks of the 54s prob little better honestly. They were pretty short for me but frankly most those MPs compared to new stuff.
    Posted:
  • tigerfan23tigerfan23 Members  7987WRX Points: 354Posts: 7,987 Titanium Tees
    ssfranny wrote:

ssfranny wrote:

kgeorge78 wrote:

Exactly, they were the second gen 53’s, and more streamlined and “cleaner,” especially in the case back and pocket area.

The 53’s are an excellent iron however they always looked “rough” to me compared to the 54’s

Those are gorgeous!

Stay well&#4322171;

RP

I agree I liked looks of the 54s prob little better honestly. They were pretty short for me but frankly most those MPs compared to new stuff.

I actually thought the 54s were a tad bigger than the 53s...

I think they were a tad short as well compared to other irons in the same category.
    Posted:

SIM MAX 10.5
    SIM MAX 15

PXG 0311 P GEN 3 3-PW DG120
    PXG 0311 FORGED 52 56 60 DG120

2020 NEWPORT

Advertisement
  • memerick19memerick19 Members  1WRX Points: 5Posts: 1 Starters

You wanna sell these?

Posted:
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members  2144WRX Points: 154Handicap: LowPosts: 2,144 Platinum Tees

I answered, but it's been a year...

My answer remains the same: Still as relevant as any high quality iron out there!

Hit em good

Posted:
    Modern Bag
    Driver: Ping G25
    16.5° fairway:  PIng G25
    21° fairway:  Ping G25
    3i & 4i:  Mizuno MP Fli Hi (2010 model)
    5i - pw:  Mizuno MP 64 
    Wedges:  Vokey SM7  52° / 56° M grind
    Putter: Odyssey Two-Ball 
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Mizuno Stand Bag

Vintage Bag
    Woods: MacGregor Tourney Velocitized persimmon 1, 3, 4 woods
    Irons:  Wilson Staff 1969 Dynapower Bullet Back 2i - pw
    Sand Wedge: Wilson Dyna-Powered 56°
    Putter:  The Wilson 8802
  • hagimihalehagimihale Members  117WRX Points: 78Posts: 117 Fairways

I'm still gaming the 54s. I agree that they launch high, I paired them with x100 shafts to address this. Just added a set of MP32s that will rotate in and out, but the 54s are my main set and they aren't going away any time soon. The non-cavity short irons (8-PW) are very versatile for me; they deal with the wet/soft turf we get here in FL just fine, and low punch draws (my preferred way of attacking a green) are easy to pull off.

Posted:

Titleist 913D2 10.5*, Aldila Tour Green 65S

Titleist 913F 15*, Diamana Blue 72X

Titleist 818H2 19* Tensei Pro White 90S

Titleist 818H2 21* Tensei Pro White 90S

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-7i, Dynamic Gold X100

Mizuno MP-54 8-PW, Dynamic Gold X100

Mizuno S18 50* Dynamic Gold S400

Mizuno MP-T4 58* Dynamic Gold S400

Taylor Made TP Rossa Fortuna Kia Ma

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.