Update on my tournament this past weekend

jeffreydan32

First let me say thanks for all the advice you guys gave me in the other thread. I did a lot of breathing and a lot of self talk.

I don't think in my first post that I told you guys this two day tournament was at the country club I'm a member at. We have two courses and one is very difficult for me and the other I usually play pretty decent on. So I felt like I had somewhat of an advantage because I just know my way around so good. We are playing the easier course first.

First hole Saturday is a par 5 that's pretty basic. I was in order to tee off third. The guy teeing off first was an older gentleman that usually plays pretty steady. There is a street with nice houses along the right side of this hole. He tee'd off and put it in the road and the ball jumped in to a person's yard. Next guy up is an older gentleman that usually shoots high 90's. He puts his drive about 200 down the middle. Next up is me, I'm 52 by the way, and I don't feel as nervous as I usually do but still a little worried. I hit a pretty good drive that went just off the left of the fairway in to the rough. Next guy up is a 25 year old that used to be in C flight but moved down because he wasn't playing so well in C. A month ago he won his first D flight tournament at a very hard course so I thought he would be pretty good. He pulled out a 3 wood and popped it straight up for about a 3 yard shot. I don't get any joy out of guys hitting bad shots but I can say it seemed to calm me a lot.

Not to bore you with hole by hole details but I went on to triple the first hole because I bladed my sand wedge from 80 yards out. I was mad but I was trying to just get over it and get ready for the next hole. I shot 46 on the front and thought that wasn't to bad after making one triple and one double. I would go on to shoot 40 on the back for a total of 86 and the club house leader by 6 strokes. Man I was so happy when I turned that score card in and saw I was in first place.

The next day is on the dreaded hard course that has about 4 holes that I hate with a passion. I was tense, nervous and anxious as soon as I drove up to the club. I went on to shoot a smooth 100 and finished in 4th place. One of my partners shot an 92 on Saturday and an 85 on Sunday to win the tournament. He is the nicest man you could ever meet. He drives the ball about 180 yards down the middle every hole. He's also 77 years old! I was very happy for him.

The overall points were updated a few minutes ago and I finished in 5th place overall so my wife and I are headed to Hilton Head in a few weeks! This is the first time I have ever played in a golf league and the first time ever playing tournament golf that I wasn't on a team. I'm the kind of guy that rushes to the first tee box in hopes of nobody there watching. So playing in this type of format was very mentally challenging for me. I had no idea when I signed up that I would ever finish top 5. Whats crazy I had read the rules for 2018 and it said you had to finish in the top 10 to make it to HIlton Head. When I realized there were different rules for 2019 I read them to find out that they changed it to top 5 for D flight. I guess they don't want a lot of hackers like me there...lol

Hope you guys enjoyed my story and I would love to read some of yall's. If any of you guys are playing in the tournament I would love to meet you guys while I'm there.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> The overall points were updated a few minutes ago and I finished in 5th place overall so my wife and I are headed to Hilton Head in a few weeks! This is the first time I have ever played in a golf league and the first time ever playing tournament golf that I wasn't on a team. I'm the kind of guy that rushes to the first tee box in hopes of nobody there watching. So playing in this type of format was very mentally challenging for me. I had no idea when I signed up that I would ever finish top 5. Whats crazy I had read the rules for 2018 and it said you had to finish in the top 10 to make it to HIlton Head. When I realized there were different rules for 2019 I read them to find out that they changed it to top 5 for D flight. I guess they don't want a lot of hackers like me there...lol

>

> Hope you guys enjoyed my story and I would love to read some of yall's. If any of you guys are playing in the tournament I would love to meet you guys while I'm there.

I dont think it has anything to do with not wanting a "bunch of hackers there." I think it is more to do with D flight is the one with the most members, and the one with the most that would historically show up at finals, and they are limited to spots available in the tourneys. If they had 10 show up from every D flight in the country, it would fill the island probably, so they have to reduce the number, and will still probably end up with the largest or second largest number at the finals.

Congrats on the finish for the season! Enjoy Hilton Head. I loved it!

Hint: when it's time to leave, dont bother showing up at the airport early like you would anywhere else in the country. Unless something has changed, the airport has 1 gate (not 1 terminal, 1 gate), and they will not let you through security until about 15 minutes before your flight. You basically go through security, and get straight on the plane. I was not aware of that, and got there 2 hours early, dropped off my rental car, and checked in for my flight. I had to sit at the airport for 2 hours with absolutely nothing to do. There was one concession stand (not even a restaurant, literally little league ballpark type food and sodas). Nothing within walking distance either that I can remember.

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Congrats JD! That's awesome you did so well in your event and made it to the national finals. Will be rooting for you and looking forward to hearing about your next event!

>

> Thanks so much man! I will post updates after each round.

And don't be afraid to go into more detail. Not sure if you've ever read any of Obee's round recaps but they are a great template and fun read.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Congrats JD! That's awesome you did so well in your event and made it to the national finals. Will be rooting for you and looking forward to hearing about your next event!

> >

> > Thanks so much man! I will post updates after each round.

>

> And don't be afraid to go into more detail. Not sure if you've ever read any of Obee's round recaps but they are a great template and fun read.

Awesome I wasn't sure how much was too much but I can assure you that it would be very comical...lol

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > Congrats JD! That's awesome you did so well in your event and made it to the national finals. Will be rooting for you and looking forward to hearing about your next event!

> > >

> > > Thanks so much man! I will post updates after each round.

> >

> > And don't be afraid to go into more detail. Not sure if you've ever read any of Obee's round recaps but they are a great template and fun read.

>

> Awesome I wasn't sure how much was too much but I can assure you that it would be very comical...lol

You can ignore people who say you wrote too much, because they should have ignored it if they didn't want to read so much. Don't let others thread cop you into submission.

Nicely done. Now that you’re a vet you’ll do better at the next one.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> Thanks Big Red....we are flying in and out of Savannah.

Gotcha.

If my (ex) wife would have gone with me, I might have done the same thing to enjoy what I'm sure is a quite scenic drive. As I was by myself (she hated golf, it was apparently my mistress), I went straight to the island.