Bag Tryouts

The TM Flextech is less appealing once it’s fully loaded vs when standing alone.

1. The clubs bind much more than in the Mizzy, whether they’re in the traditional configuration or the “backwards” cart layout. I have Plus 4s on most clubs, midsize on 3 wedges, and Jumbo on the putter. Some clubs were resistant to going all the way down and got hung up coming out.

2. The pockets, while visually logical, are a little less functional than the Mizzy.

3. It’s a little less stable than the Mizzy when standing straight up. Won’t happen often, but would hate to have a bag drop guy think it’ll stand up, only to have it slowly tip over.

4. I’m still less of a fan of the 5-way top vs the 6-way.

On the plus side:

- Cart pass-through strap

- Velcro glove holder up by the top instead of bottom left like Mizzy

- Actual grab handle at the bottom

- Pen pouch that’s wide enough for 2 sharpies

- It's $50 less than the Mizzy

On to the Flextech Crossover 14...

bq4yvkpf2fe0.jpeg

5qsk4fo0tkcm.jpeg

4vwdjv1zkhzx.jpeg

13kfxaiupks8.jpeg

ssxf72clyjtn.jpeg

0xj5f93w5d8p.jpeg

40tfg43ugdm5.jpeg

cyjn6y2mhozw.jpeg

03ai1qxlpmc4.jpeg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - last bag up. I guess this has turned into a 3-way bag review as part of the tryout process. Hope a couple of the comments are useful to someone...

Well, I like TM Flextech Crossover (14) better than the regular Flextech, but there are a couple of nits that probably keep it a notch below the Mizzy.

Cons:

1. The 14-way top still only has 3 full length dividers, so there's a little slub tangle - less than the Flextech, but more than the Mizzy (again, with either club layout).

2. Although a home for every club appeals to my CDO (that's OCD spelled alphabetically), this makes it harder for me to put in my ball tube when I go to practice, or demo when I'm holding club tryouts.

On the pro side, the TM FT CO shares many of the same positives as the regular Flextech: cart strap slot, velcro location, larger sharpie pocket, handle at base...PLUS:

* insulated cooler pocket large enough for a couple of gatorades

* wider left-side pocket openings.

* dual full-length pockets on the right side.

* looks really sharp in the light gray color

Looks like I'll take the Mizzy on the CA-to-FL trip and see what it's like to live with through about 10 rounds. Then I'll load up the TM FT CO and take it to the simulator place a few times to see what it's like to pull/push clubs in and out.

The Flextech is out...

s2kkcq9991ag.jpg

4tnpwwwjbr20.jpg

m8rahjv69j1o.jpg

m1w4hp3yli1y.jpg

pdi89zdq1oz4.jpg

mi8isrongetc.jpg

gqvqjt8t0lc7.jpg

1fk4e8g4zvpy.jpg

frwor27by200.jpg

@Weezer2 I'll hit both your questions:

On the Mizzy (and in general), there are a few reasons I don't put the putter with the woods:

1. That top slot is the smallest of all six, so it gets crowded pretty fast, especially with a jumbo-gripped putter.

2. That would leave me with two clubs in every other opening, which isn't a big deal, but that bottom opening is huge for just a couple of wedges.

3. I try to avoid scuffing the edges/collar of the putter cover where it opens as much as possible, and it fits much better in either the top or bottom slot when it's by itself and that collar part of the cover can sit inside the opening instead of on top of it (see pics).

4. Back to my "CDO"/OCD, I just like having clubs grouped with some logic of when/where they're used on the course...longest club to shortest club.

5. PICS 1-5 BELOW ARE OF THE MIZZY BAG.

As for the Sun Mountain LS 4.5 14-way, there are several reasons I ruled it out first:

1. I HATE that SM hasn't adopted the solid enclosed foot & base concept that Ping's Hoofer started and now other bags can use. My current TM foot lever is all mangled up from being wedged into so many riding carts that I sometimes have to twist the bag to get the legs to fully deploy. With the other options available, I swore I'd NEVER have another exposed foot that sticks out that far.

2. I didn't like the fact that the right-side apparel pocket zipper doesn't run all the way to the top of the bag...that means you have stuff gear up in the top left corner instead of being able to fold it in neatly.

3. This may be a non-issue long-term since I never take off the straps, but I'm not crazy about the fact that the straps are stitched to the bag instead of using a fastener - I don't know if I'll ever pull a strap to make it a single strap bag, but I like having that option. I almost never carry anymore, so it's not like I HAVE to have two straps. And, YES, I know it's not supposed to be a single-strap cart bag, but that's my thought process.

4. Small nit, but the SM also has the lower carry handle integrated into the bottom of the ball pocket - I'm gonna give that a whirl with Mizzy, but would prefer not to have that.

5. FWIW, I just couldn't live with the 4.5 4-way, so that variant was never a consideration...it's like living in a loft-style open concept home vs. one with more walls & rooms...give me the separated spaces for better organization (for me), but I guess not 14 different small rooms so you can only fit one piece of furniture in each.

On the plus side for the SM 4.5:

* It has TWO loops/clips up top to hang stuff from - I really like that since I have a Frogger golf ball towel, a full-sized towel and a Frogger club brush that all hang from the usual single ring/loop.

* It has another plastic loop to clip onto right below the handle and above the range finder pocket...I like this because I have a sunglass case that I keep clipped to the bag with a D-ring and that would be a perfect spot for it.

* There are dividers for all 14 pockets, so club tangle is avoided.

* I don't think it's a bad bag - there are just several bags that have other things that are important to me.

* PICS 6-11 ARE THE SUN MOUNTAIN LS 4.5 14-WAY

Hope you find something useful in all of that.

MIZUNO BR-D4 6-WAY:

fmjy6081jaqy.jpg

y7felc0epl1y.jpg

5evatytqcmpv.jpg

dcxdkgd5xp3o.jpg

yk4utwgcup4n.jpg

SUN MOUNTAIN LS 4.5 14-WAY:

aly2jy9nbylj.jpg

m5nafx3qdodx.jpg

xdqfp46fgkpz.jpg

bqaoneu4tg7g.jpg

nrfbm6wqwe3w.jpg

sux35r9ksvhl.jpg

One other note on my bag configuration in case anyone else hasn't considered this...

Although I plan to store and play with the clubs in the woods-on--bottom layout, I'll put them in the traditional woods-on-top layout when traveling. That's because even though I use the Club Glove Stiff Arm, my travel bag is a soft Club Glove and I know it's possible for bags to be set down top first. I want to avoid having the weight of the bag get passed onto the driver. I don't know if that's possible with the Stiff Arm, but I don't want to take the chance. Baggage handlers will be holding the handle side, so the driver will be on top and away from possible ground impact.

FYI

Thanks for all the insight!!!! I will agree 100%, I HATE the external foot for the leg deployment... I won't even consider a bag that has it... Only bag that has wowed me yet has been the Jones Utility I have... it's just small at the top opening so I am looking for other options. Currently have a Stadry 4up which is ok, 4 pockets is not enough for me though. Also have a Z Four but that one has like 9 pockets..LOL Thats a great bag too, but mine is ripping by where the strap and the bag connect... Probably getting donated. Interesting to see you ditch the FT. That bag has been on my radar. Will probably end up with a Ping of some sort... Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after your trip.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

> @Nixhex524 said:

> Thanks for all the insight!!!! I will agree 100%, I HATE the external foot for the leg deployment... I won't even consider a bag that has it... Only bag that has wowed me yet has been the Jones Utility I have... it's just small at the top opening so I am looking for other options. Currently have a Stadry 4up which is ok, 4 pockets is not enough for me though. Also have a Z Four but that one has like 9 pockets..LOL Thats a great bag too, but mine is ripping by where the strap and the bag connect... Probably getting donated. Interesting to see you ditch the FT. That bag has been on my radar. Will probably end up with a Ping of some sort... Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after your trip.

I've found that the external foot is the better option as a carrying walker. It completely prevents the club tangling that the other designs cause and I've found that the design retracts the legs tighter to the bag to get them out of the way when walking (the Hoofer does overcome this with its clever leg retraction integrated to the straps). However, I can see it being a no go for a push cart. With the Sun Mtn "CFB" I've never had a problem with the external foot on a riding cart.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

@brew4eagle - yeah, if I was still carrying for a majority of my rounds, I'd see the foot thing the way you do. Heck, that's why I was fine with my last few bags. Bot now that I'm older and...ahem, lazier...I rarely tote the clubs on my own. I do play with caddies about 6-8 times per year, so I want to have a bag that has room but is manageable to carry; plus I like having the stand bag at the range. Otherwise, I might have gone for the SM 130 cart bag. Maybe I'll be ready for that in another 6-8 years when I'm retired somewhere sunny and have a golf cart in my garage.

I'm really thankful that so many of you have chimed in on this. I'm kind of obsessive with some things, and this thread started out as a way for me to externalize my thought process and solicit feedback on bag selection factors that I may not be thinking about. It's great to hear that there are other guys wrestling with some of the same things.

FWIW, this is the first time I've ever brought multiple bags home - I usually stand around the store imagining how I'd load the bag, make a decision and live with it. I really like test-driving them, even if it's just in my home for now. For any who remain interested, I'll definitely post comments in a couple weeks about how the Mizzy holds up in the real world.

Ok - bear with me. Just carried the bags back down to the garage and re-noticed two more things:

The Mizzy and Sun Mountain have both wider-based rubber feet to keep it from sinking into soft ground.

They both also have retaining bands to lock the legs to the bag to prevent them from extending when you don’t want...like in a travel bag.

Neither of the TMs have either of those.

b6s1aqzu9hjb.jpeg

i4eapf07xvfv.jpeg

I never bother with the leg lock systems. Even in a travel bag, they can't extend out since the external bag won't allow them to. That feature was nice on a Titleist/Sun Mtn I had prior to the CFB (cart friendly bottom) since the legs would pop out some on a cart. That's no longer necessary though. Also, the drawback there was a couple of times I took the bag off the cart forgetting that the legs were locked, sat it down on the ground, and then of course it fell down, d'oh.

The slightly wider feet are nice in wet conditions.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome bag reviews. Great info. I was think FlexTech Crossover, but rethinking it now. I mostly ride.

Thanks again for the review.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Big fan of the Flextech Crossover. I push/carry about 98% of my rounds. Coming from the Flextech Lite I was actually quite shocked just how minimized the club tangle was even with only 4 full length dividers. If you have standard grips, you can still carry demo clubs for tryouts as well. Although I wasn't having wedge tryouts I was comparing the 50 & 58 Glide 2.0's I got my father for Christmas to my current set up. Little more club tangle (obviously), but I found I could still fit my base 14 and an additional two wedges without much burden. I'm not sure what it is but the Flextech materials also just seem to be super durable.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5