RTJ trip first weekend in November

TNgolfduffer13

Looking to get some advice regarding which courses to play on a quick weekend down from Nashville. We plan to leave Nashville around 11 AM on Friday and head to play 18 at either Hampton Cove or The Shoals on Friday afternoon at 2 PM, drive from there to Birmingham to play 36 at Oxmoor Valley (both courses) on Saturday, and then finish up with 18 at Ross Bridge on Sunday. Does this sound doable? And how will the course conditions be that time of year, as this will be our first time playing on the RTJ trail. We plan to stay at a hotel in Birmingham on Saturday and Sunday. Thanks for any and all advice.

> @TNgolfduffer13 said:

> Thanks for the response. Would you say that would be more desirable to play compared to Ross Bridge? Looking at our schedule, we planned to play all 36 of Oxmoor on Saturday and go to Ross Bridge on Sunday. Thanks again for the advice.

I couldn't say. Never played the RTJ courses.

Me personally, I find it very, very hard to want to pay $60+ for a round of golf anywhere. I just don't see that value. IIRC, when I was in Hoover and looking into a course to play, the RTJ courses were above that price point. I found all the golf and conditions needed for golf at the course I mentioned at a price around $40 again if I recall correctly. The value at the price I paid was there and then some.

^ I reserve the right to be completely wrong on prices. I forget stuff like that over time. Also, it may not be a consideration for you and what your group is after. Whatever you decide do post of some reviews and some pictures of the courses. Those courses are on my list to play, I just don't get down that way often.

> @TNgolfduffer13 said:

> Looking to get some advice regarding which courses to play on a quick weekend down from Nashville. We plan to leave Nashville around 11 AM on Friday and head to play 18 at either Hampton Cove or The Shoals on Friday afternoon at 2 PM, drive from there to Birmingham to play 36 at Oxmoor Valley (both courses) on Saturday, and then finish up with 18 at Ross Bridge on Sunday. Does this sound doable? And how will the course conditions be that time of year, as this will be our first time playing on the RTJ trail. We plan to stay at a hotel in Birmingham on Saturday and Sunday. Thanks for any and all advice.

NOV...transition time for the bermuda so it will be thinner than normal and going dormant, but may still be green. Greens should be in great shape.

Seems feaslible. I haven't played those tracks aside from Ross Bridge which is probably the single best RTJ course from the fellas that have played more of the trail.

I live about 15 minutes from The Shoals in Florence, AL, so I play it a lot. I've also played Hampton Cove. Given your current itinerary, I would definitely pick The Shoals over Hampton Cove for your first stop, and frankly it's not even close. Both courses at The Shoals are far superior to anything at Hampton Cove IMO. Sounds like a fun and easy trip from Nashville. Play well!

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

Thank you for all of the input so far, I really appreciate it. The only issue we had with the Auburn/Opelika courses is that Auburn has a home game that weekend and hotel prices are crazy. Since we are from out of town, we would rather spend less time driving and more time on the golf course or drinking at the bar.

Sounds like an even better reason to go Farmlinks. It’s 1.5 from Auburn and has its own hotel/inn. Can drive to other RTJ courses for variation. Just got back from a RTJ trip where we played 54 at Grand National and 36 at Farmlinks. I would keep looping Farmlinks if given the choice. Also have other activities onsite.

• 2 weeks later...

> @TNgolfduffer13 said:

> Thank you for all of the input so far, I really appreciate it. The only issue we had with the Auburn/Opelika courses is that Auburn has a home game that weekend and hotel prices are crazy. Since we are from out of town, we would rather spend less time driving and more time on the golf course or drinking at the bar.

farmlinks is an hour from b'ham ... you'll be fine with the 36 at oxmoor and 36 at rb ...

• 4 months later...

Posted this in another thread about a month ago:

”Reporting back on the conditions from this past weekend. We played Fighting Joe on Friday afternoon (cart path only), not overly wet and course was wide open had a great time. Saturday we played 36 Oxmoor Ridge in the AM and the Valley in the PM. We liked the Valley more then the Ridge (both cart path only). These courses were very wet and also service was not overly great with the cart girl only coming around 1 i the AM and 1 on hole 2 in the PM. The cart girl had also already run out of vodka for bloody mary's at 9 AM? How does this happen? The starter allowed a group of 16 (4 4-somes together) to tee off late and thus our AM round was a long slog waiting on each of the foursomes in front. The afternoon was better as far as speed of the round. Sunday morning we finished with 18 at Ross Bridge (90* rule). The service here was spectacular from start to finish. The course was in great shape with a lot of Augusta type vibes especially the long par 4 8th and par 3 11th. Greens were rolling well”

• 4 weeks later...

We're planning a golf trip to Birmingham in mid-March and already booked to play Ross Bridge and both Oxmoor Valley courses.

Are there any public courses near Hoover that are worth playing or should we just play the Oxmoor courses again? Any of these country clubs nearby allow public play? I've heard good things about Ballantrae but it's around 45 minutes away and I'd prefer not to make a long drive.. let me know your thoughts.

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

might want to check out highlands park golf course ... it's a muni, short and a bit narrow, but usually has very good greens ... they have been doing some renovations and are still closed, but it should (emphasis on should) be open by march ... another muni at oak mountain state park ... decent, but that's a subjective assessment ... ballantrae is not an hour from the rtj courses ... more like 30-40 minutes ... timberline is closer to an hour ... farmlinks is a solid hour ... rtj at prattville is an hour, fifteen minutes ... rtj at gadsen/anniston is an hour, but all interstate ... both of those rtj sites are all interstate ...

doubt any of the privates worth playing are open to outside play ... hoover/vestavia are not worth anything they'd charge ...

mark crossfield made a trip down and played 18 at ross and 9 at oxmoor ridge ... both videos are up ...

Thanks for the input guys.. sounds like we’ll do Ross Bridges and the short course at Oxmoor to finish things off on Saturday.

I would love to make the drive and play Farmlinks but the rest of my group doesn’t want to drive that far ?

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2