Glad to be back...man, I love this game

roughhater ·  
roughhaterroughhater roughhaterMembers  61WRX Points: 67Posts: 61 Bunkers

Back in the 2008 turkey shoot on Wall Street, I was fat dumb and happy. My wife and I both played every weekend and my foursome from work played twice a week. Two beach trips a year to Myrtle Beach with family to golf 5-6 days.. I even had a little golf club business of selling used clubs, regripping/reshafting clubs and even giving instruction to a junior golfer. Clearly I was living the dream. Then the day came when my employer, Tyco Electronics gave me the pink slip after 16 years of service. Well me, my golfing buddies and 60 others. My wife worked at Goodyear Tire and Rubber for 28 years and they shut her plant down the following year and sold the business to a company in South Korea. Sadly. we stopped playing and I sold all of our golf gear. A few moves later, a new employer and a more financial footing, my wife wanted to start playing again. In November, I gave her the green light and we dove back in. Man I love this game! Every aspect. The technical stuff, the swing mechanics, the equipment, the courses...yeah, it has been a rough seven years but we're finally playing again!

I want to take a second to remind everyone, you are not promised tomorrow. When you are on the golf course, act as though it is your last round. Financially, physically and mentality the game can be ripped out of your hands in a second. So stop playing angry and start playing like you're blessed...you are! Man, I love this game!

Posted:

Comments

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members  3781WRX Points: 1,144Handicap: 4Posts: 3,781 Titanium Tees

Welcome back, I don’t have any comment on your post except i am happy to see the love for the game.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • iGuyiGuy Members  62WRX Points: 23Handicap: IDK yetPosts: 62 Bunkers

Man I can relate...kind of went through the same thing with jobs, etc but my story also included a divorce...Ugh!

Back then I was a 6hc and played in a few Amateur events. Loved the game and my life...the two seemed synced.

Never got rid of my sticks but quit playing. Recently a co-worker got me to go out and after all that time I shot a 96. And I am hooked again. Probably won't work on it as hard as I did in the past but like the OP said in his post...just very happy to be playing again at any level.

Posted:
    WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5 (14 div)
    PING G Crossover 3, AWT 2.0 stiff (+1/2 - green dot)
    COBRA Forged TEC Black One-Length (3-GW) TT AMT Tour stiff (+1/4 in)
    PING Glide SS - 56 deg - CFS Stiff (+3/4 - black dot)
    PING Tomcat C 34in (black grip - heavy)
    W/S Duo-Spin
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3553WRX Points: 567Posts: 3,553 Titanium Tees

i second the technical aspect and how much fun it is to explore. being an engineer i have done 100 pages of diagrams lol. I think i am nuts but always fantastic to read a note from someone who enjoys the game as much as I do. You actually have one up on me because your wife plays. Man i wish. It's a future requirement lol

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST  Ozik F6M2
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5796WRX Points: 3,152Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,796 Titanium Tees

Rex Kramer:

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens.

It's a dumb question... skip it.

Posted:
  • roughhaterroughhater roughhater Members  61WRX Points: 67Posts: 61 Bunkers

Hate to hear of your tough times but happy to hear you are playing again. Life has such a knack for kicking us in the teeth at times. Blindsiding us without notice...kind of like this random duck hook I've developed from nowhere. LOL Use to have a sweet power fade back in the day...no way to explain it in my mind but hey, it is just another challenge!

Posted:
    Post edited by roughhater on
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members  1864WRX Points: 383Posts: 1,864 Platinum Tees

Welcome back.... man you've got the right attitude to playin! I took a 20 year hiatus and now appreciate the game like you do now.....So many get all upset and worked up on the golf course and I just look at them like their friggin aliens from another planet lol

Posted:
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32492WRX Points: 2,490Posts: 32,492 Titanium Tees

I know what you mean. Welcome back to the game. :-)

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members  1698WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,698 Platinum Tees

Glad you're back at it. Enjoy it as much as you can. I had an off year and half due to a separated bicep. Only played once last year and maybe a dozen or so times in 2018. My job is also so very demanding as I only have 2 years left till retirement as I'm going to play more this year. Maybe not a much as I would like but I'm looking forward to getting out there and meeting new friends. My game will never be the same but it's all about having fun as it's the good shots that keep you coming back.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.