Joining a Private Club in 2010?

[quote name='mrhills0146' post='2139458' date='Dec 22 2009, 07:44 PM'][quote name='FATC1TY' post='2137240' date='Dec 21 2009, 03:46 PM']True about the "more than" golf aspect of joining a club.

I'm not super inclined to hang out at the club all that often, but do find myself eating and drinking in the bar/restaurant after a round, and playing around the putting green...

My wife doesn't play, has no interest in really playing, although she has a set of clubs.. Pool, and work out stuff, she'll do.. Social.. maybe, but only with me there...

So for me, golf is the #1 reason I WANT to join, and the who majority of the cost I figure into joining.

If I can play the course for $50 a pop, and play 4 times a month, and the dues are $300, then to me.. I don't care how great the people are.. They aren't worth the $100 extra I spend to see them 4 times a month.[/quote]

Exact same situation here! We live in downtown Atlanta which means the options are East Lake, (funny, they're not returning my calls... :D ) Druid Hills, or Ansley, which are out of my budget at the moment. My wife does not play either, and does not have much interest in playing. The social aspects she'd enjoy, the pool, etc., but she's not going to drive 40+ minutes (nor would I want her to!) just to go to the pool. That does not make any sense.

Plus, I'm not altogether certain how long my career situation will allow me to stay in Atlanta. The big problem is location though - I just can't see myself joining a club unless it is CLOSE. There are some great deals out there right now - the best deal at the best course is probably at Rivermont. That is a really strong golf course, but I don't know much about the rest of the club aspects there. I think even Golf Club of GA has made huge cuts in their initiation fees, and Country Club of the South is now in receivership.

Have you ever played Brookfield or Indian Hills?
[/quote]

The closest I've gotten to playing East Lake is hitting on iron shot over the fence on Charlie Yates, and into East Lake GC. :)

I haven't played those courses, I have Druid... But like you said.. in Midtown.. I have no where I could join close by that would financially worth it for just golf. I'm not interested in any of those.. Even the Piedmont Driving Club's courses is down by the airport, and thats another 20 minute drive.

I'm leaving downtown for the 'burbs after this year is over with.. So I'll end up probably selling my soul to Canongate...

I'd love to be out on the west side of town, and join Oak Mountain. Fantastic course... great people and it's like $180 a month, no entry, no food/bev min, unlimited range and practice, carts.. the whole nine... Thats a killer, killer deal for a course I have a feeling will close up and become private once the economy banks up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Onebulldogs' post='2141332' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:23 PM']Do any of them offer "trial Memberships?" In order to recruit new members, one of the courses in Hartford is deferring the initiation fee for a year. From what I have heard, they are not in "that much" trouble. They feel that people will enjoy the experience and stay on.[/quote]

They are... just waiving the initiation fee's seems to be the hot trend around here.. Lowering it, or waiving it all together. Some places defer it for the year and then you pick it up in 3 installments or something similar.

I'm fine with the no initiation fee, and I'm fine with the monthly fee's... I'd probably join a place that allowed me to do that, and back out when I no longer felt the benefits.. Instead of being stuck with it for a year.

[quote name='stevestrike' post='2144091' date='Dec 26 2009, 12:03 AM']Why do you say "sell your soul to Canongate"? We have some Canongate clubs down here as well.

EDIT: must be a different Canongate. You guys get 24 courses for one membership? Not bad it would seem.[/quote]

Same Canongate...

They have some nice courses, but they seem more "business" than they are about quality. They buy all the struggling courses, and turn them around well enough. They also buy all the nice courses, and trash them..

The memberships are weird.. You have your "local" and then your outside courses.. Depending on where I live, I can play maybe 2 or 4 courses.. or even just one.. on my sole membership.. then I can play the other courses with a small greens/cart fee. The guest rates aren't good, and it makes it pretty hard to justify your buddies outside of the membership ropes to play at your course to save some coin. They spend the $70-100+ a round, at your home course, and you play on your membership dues.

So yeah, you COULD play 24 courses... but they are pretty well spread out. They have some real nice courses, and some great(from what I've heard) reciprocal rates.. but alot of people aren't happy with the way it's ran.

I say all this, and will be probably moving to a new house ON a Canongate course, or in the middle of 3 of them.... so who knows....

I have considered it, But since I usually play 3 to 4 times a week, I thought that I would be bored
playing some same old track. My buddies who have memberships are always inviting me to tee it up at
their private clubs anyway. Now, If I could find a club that offered 36 to 54 holes to play that might
get my attention. Until then, I am quite happy playing where I want.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

As I've moved around the country for jobs I've had 5 or 6 private country club memberships. Here's my advice based on my varied experience:

1. Member-owned clubs feel more like a truly private club than for-profit chains like ClubCorp. It's my intention to never join a for-profit club again. It's just a business to them, very much unlike member-owned clubs where all the profits are poured right back into the club. That usually means better playing condition, nicer clubhouse, more activities, etc. Of course there are drawbacks to member-owned clubs, such as assessments, but for me the experience is so much better than playing at one of the chains.

2. Don't commit to high-initiation fees unless you're sure you are going to stay put, or you've just got that kind of money. At a minimum, ask about opt-out clauses in case you have to leave the club.

3. Smaller member-owned clubs often are jewels. I currently have two club memberships now, one in Florida and another in North Carolina. The club in North Carolina is a Donald Ross design and always in great shape. As a non-resident member, I pay $85 a month in dues and I can walk the cost anytime for FREE. I'm up there about once a month on family business and probably get about 20 rounds in during the year. There is supposed to be a limit on how many rounds I can play as a nonresident, but I have no idea what it is and no one at the club has ever mentioned it. At my club in Florida I pay about $400 a month in dues and can walk for $4.50. The course is terrific. Neither of the clubs I've mentioned are all that fancy. There's no white glove service, and the clubhouses are bland. But they are both member-owned and truly private -- with exceptional value. So don't overlook the smaller clubs if you're shopping around.

[quote name='David Hillman' post='2136995' date='Dec 21 2009, 12:24 PM']So many posts in this thread talk about deals being offered by certain clubs, or not, by others. This begs a simple question; how does one find about these deals? There are a ton of courses around me, private and public. Enough that I played 60 rounds and didn't play any course more than eight times. I could make a membership 'pay', but my wife and I just recently joined a non-golf private tennis club just for the pool, because all the private courses near me are six-figure initiations ( and try as I might, I couldn't make that pay ;) ).

Other than knowing a member, how do you find these clubs looking for members?

-member looking for a club[/quote]

Where in the Chicago area are you located? Up here in Lake County, must clubs are seeking new members and are offering all sorts of "deals"....my club included.

• 2 months later...

Considering joining a ClubCorp owned course on the east side of Cleveland, Junior Exec membership is 200 dollar initiation, 290 a month. It's a special deal they are running.

2 18 hole courses, with member play alternating between the two. Courses are a cut above the nice muni tracks, but not at the level of your nicer clubs in the area, like Kirtland, Shaker, etc...

My question is, does anyone have any experience with ClubCorp, and if so, what is it?

I thought about joining a private club this season. I checked plans and prices at the two local clubs in the area (Olympia, WA) and they are cheaper than they have been in previous years. However, I have yet to make a decision because it's still pretty expensive. Also, although both of the local private clubs are nice, I don't want to feel like I have to play the same course all the time. I like variety and I also play in a lot of tournaments.

I'd love to join a nearby club(Even a good Semi-Private or Public- it would have to be nearby or it kind've defeats the purpose IMO) and have access to unlimited golf, be able to jump on for 5 or 6 whenever time is short, etc...
Problem is even the lower tier prices are still too high for a regular Joe like me, especially since I golf alot with my brother and he has even less $ than I do......I have looked all around me, and while I would be able to do it, I wouldn't be able to golf with my normal partners because the cost would become prohibitive for them......

I really would love to be able to just run to the course after work and get on, or just go to practice....I went through this last year as well....

I did just join but there are some great deals now as the recession is hurting many clubs and to get members under 35 they are offering great incentives seeing as many of the clubs where I am have an average member age of probably 70.

Bought into an equity club for my age in hundreds (my father paid 12 times that to join 8 years ago) with almost half the normal dues until 35 (10 years!). At 35 normal dues kick in and membership evolves into Full Equity with voting rights. Great reciporicals too.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Just a quick thought about for profit management firms running a club. A couple posters mentioned bad experiences, I'll chime in that Troon Golf manages the club I belong to and does an awesome job. Belonged to an equity club before and that was a good experience also.

Played a tournament at a Clubcorp managed club last season and I can see why members could be disappointed with club corp.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

I've heard the feedback on ClubCorp managed clubs, but does anyone have experience with American Golf managed clubs?

I can see why equity clubs would feel more personal, and also generate a better relationship between club managment and membership, but you'd hope the "for-profit" guys are better and more effiecient (if we all believe in free-markets).

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

[quote name='OK_Golf' date='08 March 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1268084774' post='2302543']
I can see why equity clubs would feel more personal, and also generate a better relationship between club managment and membership, but you'd hope the "for-profit" guys are better and more effiecient (if we all believe in free-markets).
[/quote]
I'd disagree with that because they're trying to make a profit, rather than run the show to the best of their abilities.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I just joined a small club. Non-equity and they have various membership levels depending on how much golf you play. They even have junior memberships available for kids 12-18.

It's a small place, and the course is not very long (6300 yards from the tips), but I'm a higher handicap and need someplace I can play to really learn the game.

Nice little clubhouse with two restaurants and nice locker rooms.

Can't ask for much more- the price was certainly reasonable ($1600/year plus discounted greens fees).

Can't wait for the snow to melt!

I joined a mid-level private club one year ago and I absolutely love it. I would agree that location is key, my club is located between my home and my office, or about 5-10 minutes from each. During our season last year (April thru October) I probably averaged 9+ holes 2-3 times during the week after work and 27+ holes on the weekends. I met some great people there and being that the club is mid-level in terms of "prestige" the members are generally very easy going and not pretentious. The pro & club manager hooked me up with some guys closer to my age (30ish) early last season and now I have a core group of about 6-10 guys that I play with their regularly. I was kind of intimidated when first joining since I didn't really know any members, but both the management and membership made that issue go away quickly. It is now a potentially great networking situation if I ever need that aspect.

When it comes to the golf, things are awesome. We use an online tee-time system which is basically a "real time" excel spreadsheet that lists the tee-times for the day. You can see who is playing when and position yourself accordingly, they even made the website blackberry/iPhone friendly recently. On my weekday rounds I could check online before I left the office to see how busy the course was and arrive accordingly. 80% of the time I could walk right on and the other 20% I would only have to wait 10min or so. The bag room staff would even drive me out to the 4th hole or wherever to catch up with a group of buddies if they got there earlier. Pace of play is awesome, 4 hours max even on weekends. If you are slow you'll hear about it and I even took some grief about slowness as a first year member after a 4:10 round. I got in 90+ rounds last season at my club and 20+ at other courses.

I was worried about becoming bored playing the same course too often, but haven't found that to be an issue. The grounds crew changes the pins 6 days a week and I alternate tee-boxes. Actually, the course itself kind of becomes like a child or pet to members. Maybe that anology seems weird, but you begin to notice small things on the course such as tree-trimming, fairway mowing, course watering and really appreciate what the staff does to maintain them and how things could maybe be done better. It is cool to see how the course is an ever-evolving thing.

Other perks that are cool.... locker room with attendent, club cleaning, shoe cleaning, member events, guest events, reciprocity at other clubs, handicap services, awesome food, relaxed feel etc.

Cost is an obvious issue. My initiation is pro-rated for the next 6 years and I pay reduced monthly dues as well for a couple more years. I say that my monthly membership fee is like having a car payment and since my ride is paid off I can afford it. Golf season bills are higher compared to the off-season, primarilly due to my bar bill. However, I'd be spending that money on food/liquor elsewhere anyways so why not support my club.

If you have the means and love golf I'd highly recommend joining a club. Yes, you'll pay more per round than at public tracks, but you'll also get perks that may make it worth it to you.

Edit : The Mill River plan is cool to..... basically reduced prices in the pro-shop. My experience is that there are great deals on clothing and ok deals on balls.... haven't bought any clubs yet though.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

I joined a club this year well.. I said I wouldn't, but the offers were too good.

I live the course, and it's a large "for profit" group, but nothing that nationally ran. They have some courses in SC and TX, that I'm even allowed to play as well.

I have around 6 different courses within my house that I can play, with anything from a 2 minute drive, to a 13 minute drive. All with full ranges, nice new range balls, full bar/restaurant, locker rooms, handicap services, club pro's that do lessons, launch monitors.. really low food/bev minimums, and good food anyways.

I enjoy the ability to get on the range after work, no questions asked, and go work on anything from the range, to the putting green, to chipping, and then off to the par 3 courses to practice short game stuff.

I can walk, ride.. do whatever when I play..Club tourneys.. member/member.. and guest events..

I don't like the guest rate at $70, but I can live with the $45 after 12:30 for the guys who want to join me for a later round.

For what I pay..I come out breaking even, or even better. It's the 9th of March, and despite the weather, I've gotten to the range 3 times a week at a minimum, and I get in around 18 holes a week, and 36 on the weekends.. I've got 4.5 rounds under my belt so far this month. I've already saved!

Meeting new people is pretty good too, and playing with a wide array of members is fun as well.. Ultimately, I like not being stuck with 18 holes.. I can mix it up pretty well, and even then I have many more courses I get reciprocals on for less than $30 a round anywhere in the metro area.

Dont really plan on getting a private membership because through the PGM we technically have 33 private memberships. We sign up to play on the weekend's and then are assign one of the following courses in South West Florida: [list][*][url="http://www.bonitabay.com/"]Bonita Bay - The Marsh Course[/url][*][url="http://www.bonitabay.com/"]Bonita Bay - The Creekside Course[/url][*][url="http://www.bonitabay.com/"]Bonita Bay - The Bay Island Course[/url][*][url="http://www.bonitabay.com/"]Bonita Bay - The Cypress Course[/url][*][url="http://www.bonitabay.com/"]Bonita Bay - The Sabal Course[/url][*][url="http://www.oldecypress.com/"]Club at Olde Cypress[/url][*][url="http://www.cypresslakecc.com/"]Cypress Lake Country Club[/url][*][url="http://www.delturagolfclub.com/golf/proto/delturagolf/"]Del Tura Golf and Country Club[/url][*][url="http://www.fiddlestickscc.com/"]Fiddlesticks CC - Long Mean Course[/url][*][url="http://www.fiddlestickscc.com/"]Fiddlesticks CC - Wee Friendly Course[/url][*][url="http://www.grandezzacc.com/"]Grandezza[/url][*][url="http://www.greyoakscc.com/"]Grey Oaks Country Club[/url][*][url="http://www.wcigolf.com/"]Hammock Bay Golf & Country Club[/url][*][url="http://www.mediterranaples.com/"]Mediterra - North[/url][*][url="http://www.mediterranaples.com/"]Mediterra - South[/url][*][url="http://www.miromarlakes.com/"]Miromar Lakes Beach & Golf Club[/url][*][url="http://www.naplesbeachhotel.com/"]Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club[/url][*][url="http://www.pelicanlanding.org/"]Pelican's Nest-Hurricane[/url][*][url="http://www.pelicanlanding.org/"]Pelican's Nest-Gator[/url][*][url="http://www.wcigolf.com/"]Pelican Preserve Golf Club[/url][*][url="http://www.wcigolf.com/"]Raptor Bay Golf Club[/url][*][url="http://www.shadowwood.com/"]Shadow Wood CC at the Brooks - North[/url][*][url="http://www.shadowwood.com/"]Shadow Wood CC at the Brooks - South[/url][*][url="http://www.shadowwoodpreserve.com/"]Preserve at Shadow Wood Preserve[/url][*][url="http://www.twineagles.com/"]The Club at TwinEagles[/url][*][url="http://www.thecolonygolfcc.com/"]The Colony Golf and Country Club[/url][*][url="http://www.fiddlerscreek.com/"]The Golf Club at Fiddler's Creek[/url][*][url="http://www.rookeryatmarco.com/"]The Rookery at Marco[/url][*][url="http://www.wcigolf.com/"]Tiburon Golf Club - Golf[/url][*][url="http://www.wcigolf.com/"]Tiburon Golf Club - Black[/url][*][url="http://www.delturagolfclub.com/golf/proto/delturagolf/"]Vasari Golf and Country Club[/url][*][url="http://www.verandah.com/"]Verandah Club[/url][*][url="http://www.bonitasprings.com/places/wildcat_wildcat_run/"]Wildcat Run Golf & Country Club[/url][/list]
However we do not get to practice at everyone of these Courses daily we get that opportunity at both Stoneybrook and Raptor Bay G.C.

I believe DIC is referring to the PGA Professional Golf Management program. This is a degree program accredited by the PGA and is currently offered at about 20 schools across the country. The perks affiliated with this program are obviously not available to every Tom, Dick, and Harry walking the street.

I joined a club last year for the first time. I moved from the Washington D.C. area to Pittsburgh, PA. Having lived in DC for ten years and played the local public golf course scene, it was expensive, frustrating, and you never felt like you were a part of anything. Joining a good club in Washington DC can cost you a hefty chunk of change and I am not talking about being a member at a public course as a pay in advance member. I wanted a true private club experience.

This was more affordable in Pittsburgh. I probably do pay more than I normally would by paying as I go at public courses but then again I also work on my game more and take advantage of the other amenities. The relationships you build as well as the guaranteed conditions along with a normal pace of play is something that makes me think I can never give up my club membership.

[quote name='matpatsheehy' date='10 March 2010 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1268247828' post='2306941']

This was more affordable in Pittsburgh. I probably do pay more than I normally would by paying as I go at public courses but then again I also work on my game more and take advantage of the other amenities. The relationships you build as well as the guaranteed conditions along with a normal pace of play is something that makes me think I can never give up my club membership.
[/quote]

I think that is the biggest part of the equation. I'm sure I'll probably spend MORE this year, than last year on playing golf. But, I know I'll be playing MORE golf, than I did last year! I like the better conditions of the courses, the fact that you see some of the same faces from time to time, and the more "personal" feel. While my club is rather large, I see the same folks when I'm out there, and chat with people. I get a bit better service from the pro-shop and stuff because I AM a member there. Something that got left out when you just paid to play somewhere.

I enjoy the practicing though. I can go out and hit as many balls as I want, practice, and go home.. Or show up, hit balls, play a few holes, and then go back to practice at the range, or par 3 course.

If anything, it'll keep my purchasing of golf clubs and crap under wraps this year. I'd rather play than "collect" clubs. ;)

[quote name='matpatsheehy' date='10 March 2010 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1268247828' post='2306941']
I believe DIC is referring to the PGA Professional Golf Management program. This is a degree program accredited by the PGA and is currently offered at about 20 schools across the country. The perks affiliated with this program are obviously not available to every Tom, Dick, and Harry walking the street.
[/quote]

Yes you are correct. It is a full college degree now. Instead of earning your PGA membership on your own and doing the book work along, you take classes that help you learn everything there is to know about the golfing community. It is a 4 an 1/2 year program and so much fun. Even though I am a freshman in the program I am trying to take full advantage of the perks given to us by the program.

Oh and to the person above me that said they live in Naples, I love to golf all around and if you ever want to go play a round of golf somewhere, or just go hit at a range and practice just send me a message and we will exchange info.

I just joined a private golf club this past Friday. It's not a "name" C.C. but it has what I was looking for...and at a great price. I'm pretty excited about it...a buddy joined with me & we got in 18 holes on Sat & 27 holes yesterday. It was so nice getting to make a tee time the day before for a weekend AM round...and playing in just over 3 hours!