TP3 or TP5

longshot300

can't decide, open for opinions
Hey everyone, lately I played the 2010 Penta the last two years and liked the results. Now I can't decide whether to stick the 5-layered TP5, or go to the 3- layered (and cheaper) TP3. I heard they're both solid golf balls to play with this year. I have enough $$$ to buy either or, but i can't buy both right now.

What's you opinion?
Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried both, I like the TP3 alot better, TP5 was short off the driver and a hair better around the greens but not enough that it makes it worth the 10 extra dollars per dozen. The TP3 is soft off the irons, and off the driver it feels solid, not hard nor soft, it comes off hot and hits with some roll, the only think that I wish they could improve is getting rid of the obvious seam..

I just picked up a box of TP3 to use on the course soon, but I still have some TP3 left.

I was spinning my short irons back with the TP3. pulled a couple off of the green. I'm generally not a huge spin generator, but these seemed to really like to spin. Around the greens, there were tougher for me to get used to. My shag bag consists of Pro v 1s and 1xs, so going to the TP3 around the greens, I wasn't able to generate the same amount of spin and check as with my shag bag balls.

I started the year playing the TP3 simply because it was a $35 urethane ball. It was nice unitl I tried the TP5. For me the TP5 is a better all around performer. Slightly longer with the driver and a better overall feel. It's a bit straighter too since it has slightly less driver spin than the TP3. Both balls are surprisingly durable - much better than either ProV1 model. The TP5 seemed to have the right amount of spin with every iron. No real huge spin back on the greens but every shot from 125 yards on in stops real quick and is manageable. The TP5 seems to stop a bit quicker than the TP3 on the 10-20 yard pitches. Similar to the ProV1. I agree with comments about the seam. In 2012 a ball with a seam is a bit outdated. The flight is unaffected in the wind though, and really not an issue.

too many variables to help you decide (swing speed, trajectory preferences, driver vs. green side or spin in general, etc) but the real deciding factor for me was wind: the TP3 has not played well into head or side winds for me. the TP5 has played much, much better where wind was involved.

don't wanna stray too far from topic but i would suggest also trying the Cally Chrome and Black hex balls. i like the TP5 ball but for wind i went the Cally route. both manufacturers really nailed their 2012 balls though - hard to go wrong with any of the four.

TP3 vs. Chrome
TP5 vs. Black

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

For me,I have a hard time compressing the TP-5 because I on ly swing 105mph w/the driver.With the TP-3 I get good distance with it,about 10 yds. more than the tp-5.Green-side spin seems about the same so the TP-3 works real good for me.I also play TP LDP Blacks from last year too,luv that ball,in fact im goin back to it after this sleeve of penta tp-3.

I realllllllly like the TP5 ..to me 'feels' alot like the TP Red LDP off the driver and irons...just performs better all around. TP3 spins a bit to much for me...to add contrast..thought the Hex Black was outstanding from the tee and on approach, but, IMHO, was very clicky off the putter and didn't chip will for me at all.

Also, played last Penta since it came out, think the TP 5 is much better.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I've switched to the TP5 from the e6 and am absolutely loving it. It's very straight off the driver and I'm getting a lot more distance than previously. I bought it primarily for more green side spin - and absolutely no complaints. Checks up very nicely.

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* Diamana S+
Bridgestone J40 4W 16* Project X 6.0
Bridgestone J40 3H 21* Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW XP S300
Mizuno T4 52* and 58* S300
Odyssey ProType Black 2 ball

Not to jack this thread but......can anyone comment on the feel of the TP3 versus the old Black LDP?

I have heard some thoughts the TP3 is an updated version (which is fine with me) but can anyone comment on the feel off all shots?

The black to me felt firm off all shots and the putter. The TP3 sounds great to me but only if it is a little softer.

Does anyone have a comparison of the two as to the feel? Which is softer? Softer off the putter?

Thanks.

[quote name='Flyersby99' timestamp='1337102117' post='4918994']
Not to jack this thread but......can anyone comment on the feel of the TP3 versus the old Black LDP?

I have heard some thoughts the TP3 is an updated version (which is fine with me) but can anyone comment on the feel off all shots?

The black to me felt firm off all shots and the putter. The TP3 sounds great to me but only if it is a little softer.

Does anyone have a comparison of the two as to the feel? Which is softer? Softer off the putter?

Thanks.
[/quote]

the TP3 is definitely quite softer across the board on all shots (driver, irons and putter) than the Black LDP ball. but then again, for premium balls, not many released in the past five years have felt firmer than the Black LDP ball in my opinion.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

I like the TP3.... for practice... it feels and plays ALMOST as good as a ProV, but not quite

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've played the previous penta for about a year. I also play nxt tours on my practice rounds or just as a backup to the pentas. I love the sound of the new TP5 which is most likely find it's way into my bag but can anyone compare how the TP3 and NXT play? Figure I might switch between the TP5 and TP3 depending on conditions and rounds. I think it would be easier to just alternate between two balls that are somewhat similar than jumping from penta to nxt.

I read from TaylorMade that:

[b]If you play[/b] - Pro V1x, B330, B330s, Tour IZ, Hex Black Tour, 20XI-x, Z-Star, TP Red LDP, [b]TRY Penta TP5.[/b]

[b]I[/b][b]f you play[/b] - Pro v1, B330 RX, B330 RXS, Hex chrome, Tour iS, 20XI-s, Z-Star XV, TP Black LDP, [b]TRY Penta TP3.[/b]

[b]If you play[/b] - NXT Tour, NXT Tour S, E5, E6, E7, HX Diablo Tour, One Vapor Speed, TriSpeed, TriSpeed Tour, Gamer V2, Burner Tour, Burner TP, [b]TRY RocketBallz.[/b]

Just readin' ....