Titleist Velocity

BMH

I've not used the Z-star but I did briefly try the Q-star a little over a year ago (I'm guessing Q-star plays quite a bit firmer around the green than Z-star). I think the Velocity is in the same category as the Q-star, maybe even a bit firmer on chips and putts. Velocity does not bounce around on chips and rocket forward on pitch shots anything like an old-school distance ball (Pinnacle Gold, HX Hot, Top-Flite XL, et. al.) but it's firmer than Q-star, NXT Tour, more along the lines of e6 (which I've found to be hard to control) or Srixon Soft Feel.

For my part, I do not make consistent enough contact to always count on spinning a ball. So for me one of the worst things a ball can do is check up on one out of three or one out of four partial wedge shots. I've no choice but allow for 20, 30, 40 feet of runout on little 1/4-swing and 1/2 swing pitch shots. It drives me nuts when a spinny ball grabs and stops six inches from where it lands and leaves me a long putt. I'd say the Velocity is firm enough to eliminate those occasional grabbers. At the expense of not being stoppable on approach shots when there's very little green to work with. Given that I have ten wedge, pitch, sand and chip shots for every time I need to stop a 7-iron on a dime I think it's worth it. But it's a pretty firm cover for sure.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long pitches settle a couple of feet from the pitch mark, 8 iron about 4 feet. Stuff around the green I play mostly with my 50 degree wedge and put a little height into it. The 50 rolls out less than a quarter of the distance it flies on a flat green at the clubs round here. They tend to be firm greens but not fast.

I'd say the difference if any is I'll have more go a foot past than come up a foot short :)

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

• 2 months later...

I played the Velocity a bit last summer, and even played it with my hickory set.

I found it to be longer off the tee than any other ball that I played; felt a bit hard; and I had trouble stopping it. So, I ended up using it into the wind, and used a Pro V1 with the wind. I am not a pro, so I can switch makes whenever.

If I were a pro, I would play Pro V1x all the time, and maybe Pro V1 in colder conditions, or if the greens were very firm.

But, I actually "killed" a couple of hickory drives with the Velocity, so I'll be sure to have one in my pocket when the weather is warm. However, the Velocity feels too hard for cold conditions.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• 4 weeks later...

I stop everything on a dime, but back nothing up. Works great for me, but I do have to really take something off little pitches and chips.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

• 5 weeks later...

I feel the velocity is an excellent ball if you are a high spin player. The velocity knocked 1000 rpm backspin off my driver bringing it to 3000 rpm versus 4K with ProV1x. I'm playing D+ whiteboard in 913D2 with 100mph swing speed 5 handicap. I'm sure swing flaws contribute to my high backspin, but the velocity is a good choice if you have a little too much spin. I have no problem stopping approach shots and the firmer feel isn't hard to get used to.

Found a lost Velocity during a round a couple weeks ago. It was cold out (36-40 degrees) Tried it on the next whole (par 3) with an iron. Felt like a rock. Put it in my pocket and forgot about it until a couple of holes later and thought I'd try it with the driver. Boom! Long, straight and rolled out well. Tried it again with the iron and it felt okay. Must have been warmed up :–). Finished the round with it and had the best driving and scoring day in years. Not as good around the greens as my RXS but I will take the distance...

I don't really care much for Titleist but liked the Velocity for what it is. I never got the rock feeling from it but I do compress the ball pretty well so maybe that's why. Approach spin was adequate, distance great, straight ball flight. Around the green they aren't the one's you need to apply the brakes on for a tight pin placement however.

• 8 months later...

I just found a Velocity at my club. Usually Pro V's and V1x's galore but have not seen many Velocity balls. Anyway. I put it in play and I liked the length and feel off the driver and irons. On my second hole with the ball I lipped out from a 140 and tapped in for a birdie. Next hole the hardest handicap hole on the course, par and not knowing anything about the Velocity I had an 7 iron into the green (Mizuno MP57's if that matters) and the ball acted just like anything else I've hit in from that distance with a 7. Putts felt about the same so I threw down $25 and bought a dozen. It is off the tee where I think they are most like their name--Nice "Velocity". [color=#282828] Titleist [/color]on the cover, its white and has dimples. Ok!

The Chile Guy

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if the Velocity is basically a Pinnacle with maybe a different dimple pattern. I liked the NXT Extreme...Is the Velocity basically the same as the NXT Extreme?

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

I think the Titleist Velocity and Pinnacle Gold are the same ball right down to the dimple pattern:

Pinnacle Gold, "...Powerful distance for a bolder long game Soft feel for a sharper short game Exceptional quality and consistency, Large, high-velocity, soft compression core Soft, ionomer cover blend New [b]332 spherical icosahedral dimple design in seven different sizes[/b]", - Michael Mahoney, Director of Golf Ball Product Management, Acushnet Company.

Velocity includes a two-piece[b] icosahedral 332-dimple design[/b]; aerodynamics that Titleist says will help deliver a ‘soaring, tight, consistent ball flight and deep down-range peak trajectory.’

And per golfballselector.org they have the same compression of 91 and cover hardness of 90 for the Velocity and 88 for the Gold, which I would think would be within their testings margin of error. If not, it means the Gold has a bit softer cover.

It's very hard to find specs on the Gold, none on their boxes or their website, think maybe that is so people can't compare them to the velocity?

Tried a dozen this summer when the pro shop at my club were out of DT Solos, behaved almost exactly like the Solos, equally long off the tee and generally low spin which I often like. For me it´s more important too be in the fairway than to stop 3-4 feet faster on the greens.

However, the Velocity balls felt (sounded?) a lot harder and clickier than the DT Solo I usually play, performance wise I couldn´t tell the difference between the two.

Ping G25 12* Driver
Ping Rapture 17* and Ping K15 19* woods
Ping G20 23* hybrid
Ping G25 5-PW irons
Ping Tour Gorge wedges 50*SS/56*WS/60*SS
SeeMore FGP Original putter

[quote name='GroverC' timestamp='1388427981' post='8368329']
I think the Titleist Velocity and Pinnacle Gold are the same ball right down to the dimple pattern:

Pinnacle Gold, "...Powerful distance for a bolder long game Soft feel for a sharper short game Exceptional quality and consistency, Large, high-velocity, soft compression core Soft, ionomer cover blend New [b]332 spherical icosahedral dimple design in seven different sizes[/b]", - Michael Mahoney, Director of Golf Ball Product Management, Acushnet Company.

Velocity includes a two-piece[b] icosahedral 332-dimple design[/b]; aerodynamics that Titleist says will help deliver a ‘soaring, tight, consistent ball flight and deep down-range peak trajectory.’

And per golfballselector.org they have the same compression of 91 and cover hardness of 90 for the Velocity and 88 for the Gold, which I would think would be within their testings margin of error. If not, it means the Gold has a bit softer cover.

It's very hard to find specs on the Gold, none on their boxes or their website, think maybe that is so people can't compare them to the velocity?
[/quote]

I played both side by side during the fall season. I saw and felt no difference between the two balls. Zero, none, zilch.

[quote name='Texas Golfer' timestamp='1388425080' post='8368065']
I was wondering if the Velocity is basically a Pinnacle with maybe a different dimple pattern. I liked the NXT Extreme...Is the Velocity basically the same as the NXT Extreme?
[/quote]

The Pinnacle Gold's are dirt cheap so they worth a few bucks to try them out. If you normally play a two-piece distance ball I am pretty sure you won't notice any difference between whatever you play and the Pinnacle Gold. If you just have to have something that feels softer, try the Wilson Duo.

Just my two cents.

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1388436650' post='8369135']
[/quote]

The Pinnacle Gold's are dirt cheap so they worth a few bucks to try them out. If you normally play a two-piece distance ball I am pretty sure you won't notice any difference between whatever you play and the Pinnacle Gold. If you just have to have something that feels softer, try the Wilson Duo.

Just my two cents.
[/quote] I'd say save the money and try the Wilson 50 Elite. It performs the same for me as the Duo

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1388453471' post='8370821']
[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1388436650' post='8369135']
[/quote]

Just my two cents.
[/quote] I'd say save the money and try the Wilson 50 Elite. It performs the same for me as the Duo
[/quote]

The Wilson 50 Elite is my usual value golf ball. Especially because it is available in orange.
I had found a couple of NXT Extremes a few weeks ago and liked the distance but they didn't seem to feel as hard as Pinnacles.

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

• 3 weeks later...

I got these as my Titleist Test ball this year and gave them a go today. My driving was the most consistent. I also got decent spin off them from my irons.
I had a 115y par 3 that I choked up on my G25 PW and took about 1/2-3/4 swing with. I hit the green and sucked it back onto the false front and down the hill haha. I play run out with my chips and pitches, so this ball is just fine for me. I was pleasantly surprised and will probably play them more in the future.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x