2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

For the Retired, How has your golf life been?

weten2

I'm sitting in Chicago at lunch and plan to retire in 6 months. With this weather I'm getting anxious to play and look forward to playing 12 months of the year 2-3 times/wk (only 20 rounds last year) in Florida and Ohio. With anticipation I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much enjoyment or will it live up to what I'm hoping for. I'm an engineer and enjoy reading about golf equipment and think I could get into some form of club building.

How has it been for you?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=5]Disaster!I don't know if you plan on becoming a member of a golf club or just play more and fiddle around with clubs,if the former then my best advice would be to make damn sure that you have a substantial supply of like-minded people to play with and that the club is everything it purports to be or you may find as I have that you have almost no common ground with the other members and that the club operates on a basis that you find inefficient and unbearable.[/size]
[size=5]I made the very wrong and stupid assumption that all golfers are the same which is not the case,be sure that your club of choice is right for you.[/size]
[size=5]The positive side is that it's fantastic to be able to golf whenever the fancy takes you rather than being limited to weekends or holidays and don't forget,the sun always shines on a golf course![/size]
[size=5]Enjoy![/size]

Played over 100 rounds in 2013 and enjoyed every one.
Last 2 months trapped in the snow and ice with no golf has been a problem, however.
I agree finding people you enjoy playing with is a key.
Hasn't been a problem at all for me, though. I belong to a semi-private club where the atmosphere is very low key and I have yet to find a member I can't/won't play with.
I also have several friends who I play state golf association torunaments with- about 35-40 of those rounds last year.
I expect you will love it.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

This was my first full year of retirement and I I had more physical issues and played less golf than in any year of the last 25 , we have a decent place to play and I can play as much as I prefer but between knee's , shoulders and now just having a complete hip replacement ... I cant be sure what the future holds , but I hope by April I am close to 100% , and after close to 75 to 100 round years I hope to get back to that after a 2013 that meant 1/2 the rounds ,more pain than I care to remember and a failing game and no way to stop it ..2014 can only get better hopefully

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1391201168' post='8573466']
[size=5]Disaster!I don't know if you plan on becoming a member of a golf club or just play more and fiddle around with clubs,if the former then my best advice would be to make damn sure that you have a substantial supply of like-minded people to play with and that the club is everything it purports to be or you may find as I have that you have almost no common ground with the other members and that the club operates on a basis that you find inefficient and unbearable.[/size]
[size=5]I made the very wrong and stupid assumption that all golfers are the same which is not the case,be sure that your club of choice is right for you.[/size]
[size=5]The positive side is that it's fantastic to be able to golf whenever the fancy takes you rather than being limited to weekends or holidays and don't forget,the sun always shines on a golf course![/size]
[size=5]Enjoy![/size]
[/quote]
I've been evaluating the club vs public course and with a house in both the north and south think I won't be able to afford one or two clubs. We already belong to a country club without a course in FL that will reciprocate with other country clubs. I have found an interesting package for unlimited golf for $1,700.
I was given a country club membership as a promotion to an uppity club and did not feel comfortable there like at a friends CC in a less pretentious area. The club I was in was also hard to break into a regular foursome.
On another post I asked what retirees do for golf and I'm hoping to do some leagues and meet other golfers through this venue and other avenues. For me the best way to play golf is with golf buddies. I'm moving to a new area and will need to start from scratch and hope to find these buddies.
Thanks for the comment.

[quote name='Itsjustagame' timestamp='1391201905' post='8573554']
Played over 100 rounds in 2013 and enjoyed every one.
Last 2 months trapped in the snow and ice with no golf has been a problem, however.
I agree finding people you enjoy playing with is a key.
Hasn't been a problem at all for me, though. I belong to a semi-private club where the atmosphere is very low key and I have yet to find a member I can't/won't play with.
I also have several friends who I play state golf association tournaments with- about 35-40 of those rounds last year.
I expect you will love it.
[/quote]
A positive reply; I'm encouraged. Having played a sport in college I enjoy competition and look forward to some tournaments or leagues; something I haven't done.

[quote name='OldGolfer87' timestamp='1391202294' post='8573582']
This was my first full year of retirement and I I had more physical issues and played less golf than in any year of the last 25 , we have a decent place to play and I can play as much as I prefer but between knee's , shoulders and now just having a complete hip replacement ... I cant be sure what the future holds , but I hope by April I am close to 100% , and after close to 75 to 100 round years I hope to get back to that after a 2013 that meant 1/2 the rounds ,more pain than I care to remember and a failing game and no way to stop it ..2014 can only get better hopefully
[/quote]
This is why I have changed over to lighter graphite irons and plan to exercise more (I enjoy this also). Hopefully I can avoid some injuries and enjoy the game.

Retired 10 years and play between 50 and 60 rounds a year (no closed season in CA).

We differ in that I do not consider golf an opportunity for social interaction. So playing as a single, or even alone, is my norm. That way any social contact is temporary and ends when the round does no matter how pleasant or disappointing.

For me, playing at one private course with the same group would be a nightmare in my opinion. However, there are many, many folks who greatly enjoy that situation. For me, different courses in the area, different partners each time out, and the occasional vacation to far off places is my ideal.

I, too, played competitive team sports in college [football, rugby, baseball, badminton (!)] and was even ranked 8th in the nation in Division II as a quarterback (BRAG, BRAG, and not even passive!). Anyhow, my social needs were filled to overflowing in college. There is a lot of baggage that goes along with "friends".

"Friendship is but another name for an alliance with the follies and the misfortunes of others. Our own share of miseries is sufficient: why enter then as volunteers into those of another?"
[url="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_jefferson.html"]Thomas Jefferson [/url]

The point being that you have to decide what you want in retirement and how, and with whom, you want to spend your time. Apparently, you are well on your way to that point and have very wisely planned for retirement activities.

What ever constitutes your current social interaction should be reflected in your retirement. Expecting a large difference could result in disappointment.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1391201168' post='8573466']
[size=5]Enjoy![/size]
[/quote]

Mr. Okesa

You're absolutely right. I'm 61, and have been retired a while. As you grow older, it's harder to find a game with like minded fellows. I belong to a modest club, which has dropped from around 200 members to around 50. The club is almost bankrupt. Even now, there is a "clique" which dictates its will on the club. The "clique", in addition to economic downturn and deaths, has led to the dangerously diminished membership.

I normally play alone or with a buddy. Events at the club are an extension of the "clique." The current situation works out well for me, but most guys (including me) like the company of others. The upside is that I can play anytime I want, play 18 holes in a couple hours or so. I don't think I could ever endure the 5-6 hour rounds which are the norm everywhere. Last year, I played a round at a public course with a (young) neighbor and his friends. Nice fellows, but the excruciating slow play was torture. After 12 holes or so, I was ready to scream. If I had to routinely play slow rounds, I'd give up the game. Walking is another thing, most guys don't walk anymore. Some clubs don't allow it, or add on additional fees. It seems in the USA that country clubs tack on additional fees for everything, food minimums, range fees, etc, etc.

As you say, all golfers are not the same.

Play well!

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1391217711' post='8575014']
Retired 10 years and play between 50 and 60 rounds a year (no closed season in CA).

We differ in that I do not consider golf an opportunity for social interaction. So playing as a single, or even alone, is my norm. That way any social contact is temporary and ends when the round does no matter how pleasant or disappointing.

For me, playing at one private course with the same group would be a nightmare in my opinion. However, there are many, many folks who greatly enjoy that situation. For me, different courses in the area, different partners each time out, and the occasional vacation to far off places is my ideal.

I, too, played competitive team sports in college [football, rugby, baseball, badminton (!)] and was even ranked 8th in the nation in Division II as a quarterback (BRAG, BRAG, and not even passive!). Anyhow, my social needs were filled to overflowing in college. There is a lot of baggage that goes along with "friends".

"Friendship is but another name for an alliance with the follies and the misfortunes of others. Our own share of miseries is sufficient: why enter then as volunteers into those of another?"
[url="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_jefferson.html"]Thomas Jefferson[/url]

The point being that you have to decide what you want in retirement and how, and with whom, you want to spend your time. Apparently, you are well on your way to that point and have very wisely planned for retirement activities.

What ever constitutes your current social interaction should be reflected in your retirement. Expecting a large difference could result in disappointment.
[/quote]

GWD
Your comments are very thought provoking. While I have enjoyed some of my single rounds and alone my most memorable have been with some long time friends with all the joking and betting going on. I think the best rounds were with two man teams.
Moving to a new area will require me to do the single and alone golfing and it is good to see another view to golf. Right now I'm more worried about finding challenge and accomplishment I have with my work and hope the golf can replace some of this. I don't need to worry about golf provide the challenge!

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1391217711' post='8575014']

[url="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_jefferson.html"]Thomas Jefferson [/url]

[/quote]

Wow dude we were cut out of the same mold...I was born in Santa Ana CA so maybe it is a Cally thing...LOL I espcially like this comment:

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1391217711' post='8575014']That way any social contact is temporary and ends when the round does no matter how pleasant or disappointing.[/quote]

and the quote from Thomas Jefferson. I sent this post to my wife and she said you are my double...LMAO.

But to the OP "Good Luck" with reitrement as I still have a few years to go (turn 55 this month) and take your time (which you will now have) to find your way. For me like "GWD" I would be content to play most of my rounds alone or with someone I have never played with before...I also think I would want to play different courses and travel but to each his own...Congratulations and good luck!

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

Been wonderful for me!

Still a consultant, but playing and practicing a lot more.

Spend warmer months in Texas and 4-5 months in Minnesota - following the weather.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Congrats on you upcoming retirement. I have been retired a full 5 yrs now. Before I retired I only played golf about 6-7 times a year. As soon as I retired I bought a good set of clubs and started to play as much as I could. The last couple of yrs I have averaged between 50 - 60 rounds a yr. Where I live I can only play between April and October. Sounds like you have the other months covered with your place in the south, smart move. November thru March is not fun without golf. I have found that I also have more time to work out which has definitely helped my golf game. I found that I prefer to play a variety of courses. We have about 7 courses within about a 15 mile radius so that helps. The CC scene doesn't appeal to me. I play once a week with a regular foursome and the other times mix and match. I enjoy the bs and the friendly skin games.

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1391195830' post='8572850']
I'm sitting in Chicago at lunch and plan to retire in 6 months. With this weather I'm getting anxious to play and look forward to playing 12 months of the year 2-3 times/wk (only 20 rounds last year) in Florida and Ohio. With anticipation I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much enjoyment or will it live up to what I'm hoping for. I'm an engineer and enjoy reading about golf equipment and think I could get into some form of club building.
How has it been for you?
[/quote]

Low 60's and not fully retired. However, the nature of my business allows me to play golf when ever I like. That translates to 2-3 times per week now, except on golf trips it jumps to 7-8 days of 10, and I walk a few of them. Thankfully the wife loves to play golf too.

When I fully retire, I expect to add a few more wkly rounds and range time. Nevertheless, what I hear most often from retired friends is they are pooped after a few rounds, and don't play as often as they had hoped because they do not exercise. Best advice, if you want to play as much as I do, you'd better be regularly visiting a gym and work on cardio. And "no", not into club building. I typically fill my free time with community service.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1391816737' post='8619362']
[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1391195830' post='8572850']
How has it been for you?
[/quote]

Low 60's and not fully retired. However, the nature of my business allows me to play golf when ever I like. That translates to 2-3 times per week now, except on golf trips it jumps to 7-8 days of 10, and I walk a few of them. Thankfully the wife loves to play golf too.

When I fully retire, I expect to add a few more wkly rounds and range time. Nevertheless, what I hear most often from retired friends is they are pooped after a few rounds, and don't play as often as they had hoped because they do not exercise. Best advice, if you want to play as much as I do, you'd better be regularly visiting a gym and work on cardio. And "no", not into club building. I typically fill my free time with community service.
[/quote]
Pepper;
Fortunately I enjoy exercising and look to increasing in retirement; especially stretching to limit loss in distance.
I'm moving to two new areas one in Ohio close to our daughter. This is the reason for the retirement otherwise I would continue to work on a reduced schedule. My wife and I volunteer in a homeless shelter through our church. I'm curious what community service you are involved in?

• 1 month later...

As a teacher I always had plenty of time in summer to play. Always wished I could play more in fall and spring. Now I go when I want to, play alone or with guys I like and just don't worry about this needs to be done by... or that has to get taken care of... If I play well then I'll go do it again tomorrow. If I don't well, I'm playing again tomorrow anyway. Life is good.

Golf prowess leaves something to be desired, but in other areas, I am doing quite well......er...at least do not need Viagra.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Well I'm down to 4 months for retirement; unless I can't sell my house by then. Reading the responses regarding playing alone or with strangers has been somewhat comforting since I will be moving to a new area. Right now I'm more concerned about playing in Naples in the winters with the high cost during that time. I guess I will need to talk with the locals to find the deals other than Golfnow.
In the Columbus area I can play a decent course with unlimited rounds with range for $1700. I might be playing much more in the north than the south.

• 1 month later...

I'm 71 and been fully retired 7 years. I moved to the subtropics in Australia 10 years ago and commuted 1800 klms each week for 3 years. It was worth it as during that time I was able to visit all the golf clubs within a 10 klm range (7) and decide on the one which I felt I would be happy with . My criteria was - Relaxed atmosphere, Friendly management,Caters to Grey brigade.
The club I selected has a Seniors& Vets club of app. 110 members within the Club who play a comp every Monday. They also visit other clubs throughout the year within a 100klm range. I also play in the Clubs comp every friday . I play with the same 3 gents every monday and try and play with different people every friday. This also allows me to play from the back tees each friday.
Each Wednesday after 2.30 pm I'll play 10 plus holes by myself or whoever is on the first tee at the time . If by myself I might aim at a bunker or two for practice. I have avoided joining committees. Be friendly ,smile and laugh at life,it catches on.
WHAT A LIFE

I semi-retired and relocated to a warm climate. I moved into a private golf community, and it has been completely awesome. I was initially attracted to the golf course (a top 100 course), but what closed the deal for me was the quality of the people there. It is a very open and welcoming place with a very social culture. We are located in an area that attracts a lot of retirees, so newcomers are welcomed--I think that happens in a lot of places.

I now average about 100 rounds per year, and have some buddies that average twice that.

We are very very lucky. Good luck!

Depending upon what your other interests are, you may or may not play as much as you imagine. Our golf season runs realistically from May to October. Half the time we'll pick up another month if the weather co-operates, but that hasn't been the case this year. I work at a course one day a week. I generally get in two outings per week and that has translated into 30-40 rounds per year. I'm not a member of a club, preferring to play different courses, although the bulk of my play is at just two tracks. I have three groups that I play regularly to semi-regularly with. Only one of the groups I have met through golf, the other two from different activities.
I'm very happy with the roll that golf plays in my retirement from a social and exercise point-of-view. I'm also happy with the balance that the amount I play allows me time for other things. Perhaps we'll play more once my wife retires. We have talked about spending a portion of the winter in Florida each year to escape the cold and snow. No doubt golf will be part of the that.
Good luck with your retirement.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well Sir, Congrats on the upcoming retirement. I grew up in Chicago, 3100N/4800W. Caddied at Ridgemore in 63 and 64. Fully retired the 1st of this month. The most important thing to remember, you are not 40 years old any more. For me, after walking the 18, there is a recovery day before the next round. I don't like riding, so I sacrifice the consecutive days of play. Live in the panhandle of FL now and have an Annual on a local AFB (retired military too). As previously stated, it is sweet heading for the first tee on your schedule and not hoping for good weather on the weekend or summer twilite. Hit em good, Mike

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1400589978' post='9330495']
Depending upon what your other interests are, you may or may not play as much as you imagine. Our golf season runs realistically from May to October. Half the time we'll pick up another month if the weather co-operates, but that hasn't been the case this year. I work at a course one day a week. I generally get in two outings per week and that has translated into 30-40 rounds per year. I'm not a member of a club, preferring to play different courses, although the bulk of my play is at just two tracks. I have three groups that I play regularly to semi-regularly with. Only one of the groups I have met through golf, the other two from different activities.
I'm very happy with the roll that golf plays in my retirement from a social and exercise point-of-view. I'm also happy with the balance that the amount I play allows me time for other things. Perhaps we'll play more once my wife retires. We have talked about spending a portion of the winter in Florida each year to escape the cold and snow. No doubt golf will be part of the that.
Good luck with your retirement.
[/quote]
You better check out the cost of golf in Florida during the winter months; expensive. This is why The Villages sounds appealing with +/- 25 free 9 hole courses and 5 cost affective country clubs to join. I'm sure there are other economical alternatives to hunt for.

Thanks for the congratulations. As the OP back in January it is nice to see new posts on the topic. Here is my update: We received a contract on our house and will close on 8/15, new house should be ready 8/15 and I will retire. I'm looking to semi retire; however will be surprised to stay on with current employer. So I guess I'll have to play more golf!
I've found a decent golf course in Dublin, OH that I can play unlimited for $1700! I currently still have the desire to find groups or club with potential golf buddies in the new areas we will be living in; Dublin and Naples, FL. Like the last 1-1 1/2 years I still feel somewhat anxious on what the future holds.