Moving to NC (Wake Forest Area) need course suggestions and people to play with

HoosierHacker89

[quote name='Wedge' timestamp='1392367185' post='8665703']
[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1392222518' post='8652187']
Welcome!

I'm in the Greensboro area (transplant from Milwaukee) and there is a ton to choose from.

I'd be in for an outing!

Even if you go towards the Greensboro area, you have Bryan Park, Greensboro National, Tot Hill Farm.

Tons of stuff.
[/quote]

Dude...you're making me homesick!!! :)

You'd be hard pressed to find more really good and affordable coures anywhere in the country than the Triad and Triangle areas. I'm from Winston Salem, but lived in Greensboro for 35 years and there are so many quality choices.

Then to top it off you're only 90 minutes from Pinehurst.
[/quote]Bryan is one of my favorites and you can't beat it for the money!

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='PGood' timestamp='1392250942' post='8655789']
[quote name='cu1998tigers' timestamp='1392245151' post='8655027']
Yes #10 might be the worst hole ever. 400 yard hole with a 90 degree dogleg and u can only hit 200 to the leg
[/quote]

Yeah, figured that was the one. Not a fan of it either. Not the worst hole in town though. My vote goes to #10 at Eagle Ridge. Horrible hole.
[/quote]

I haven't played Finley but #10 at Eagle Ridge is terrible.

Welcome to the area. There is great golf in the Triangle and year round golf for the most part. Check out Chapel Ridge and Duke, I think you will enjoy both. Also as was mentioned, Heritage and The Neuse are solid courses.

A little off topic but I play out at Prestonwood so I would be interested in trading a round with any Hasentree or RCC members :)

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

I'm a big fan of Lonnie Poole. Just a different course than all the rest. The more I play it and get familiar the more I like it. Also, they have finished the clubhouse and it is freakin' awesome. The view from the 19th hole patio can't be beat!

The biggest downside to the university courses is price. $85 for Poole or Finley vs. $50 or $60 for the rest? OUCH.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

Ill be moving there around the first of april, so ill hit you guys up them. My wife has a work commitment til then here at home, so i am looking forward to meeting some of you.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1392397442' post='8667749']
[quote name='Wedge' timestamp='1392367185' post='8665703']
[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1392222518' post='8652187']
Welcome!

I'm in the Greensboro area (transplant from Milwaukee) and there is a ton to choose from.

I'd be in for an outing!

Even if you go towards the Greensboro area, you have Bryan Park, Greensboro National, Tot Hill Farm.

Tons of stuff.
[/quote]

Dude...you're making me homesick!!! :)

You'd be hard pressed to find more really good and affordable coures anywhere in the country than the Triad and Triangle areas. I'm from Winston Salem, but lived in Greensboro for 35 years and there are so many quality choices.

Then to top it off you're only 90 minutes from Pinehurst.
[/quote]Bryan is one of my favorites and you can't beat it for the money!
[/quote]

I play bryan park almost every weekend. It really is the best bang for your buck golf-wise.

I played Greensboro National for the 1st time on Saturday. Seemed like a really good course. Wet as heck from all the rain Friday. Greens were really fast and I couldn't get speed down. Shot 86 with 40 putts! I liked the layout though.

Ping i500, DG S300 105

[quote name='Blakester' timestamp='1393243777' post='8733202']
I played Greensboro National for the 1st time on Saturday. Seemed like a really good course. Wet as heck from all the rain Friday. Greens were really fast and I couldn't get speed down. Shot 86 with 40 putts! I liked the layout though.
[/quote]

Greensboro National is a great course. It'll test about every club in your bag.

Man I miss the courses in the Triad. :(

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

[quote name='Wedge' timestamp='1393296374' post='8738890']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wedge care to comment on any of the courses out Greenville way? I work out in Greenville even though I live in Raleigh (commute everyday :russian_roulette: ) and am curious about some of the courses out that way.

[/quote]It definitely is a good track and I think the new owners have been trying hard to get it back to where it should be.

Of of my biggest complaints is that they raised the greens fees to almost exactly what Bryan wants.

If the fees are the same as Bryan, I'd feel more comfortable paying for Bryan as the condition is always great and range balls are included.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='lightningbolt444' timestamp='1393300050' post='8739352']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wedge care to comment on any of the courses out Greenville way? I work out in Greenville even though I live in Raleigh (commute everyday :russian_roulette: ) and am curious about some of the courses out that way.
[/quote]

I went to ECU in the early 90s and started my obsession with golf there. We used to play Bradford Creek all the time. Good course and WIDE open. I heard it was having some financial issues and may close. I hope it hasn't. Also played Ironwood a few times. That's ECU's "home course." Very nice Trevino layout. Have heard good things about Cutter Creek out near Snow Hill but have never played it. Also played Indian " something" outside of town. Total goat track.

Ping i500, DG S300 105

Great to see all of the local players in my area!
I live about 10 minutes from Chapel Ridge and The Preserve and have memberships to both. I also live about 10 minutes from Governors Club (where I work). Finley is about 15 minutes away and Duke about 25 minutes. All courses are awesome and I would say Governors Club is the best in the area. No disrespect to Old Chatham, but it is not my favorite Rees Jones. Extremely high Member experience and service but a pretty above average course in amazing condition. Best Bloody Marys in the area though!

Anyone local looking for a game sometime hit me up with a PM. Would love to meet some of you guys and see some of the WRX long hitters in person!
I will NOT play Lonnie Poole though haha. Tobacco Road is a must play however...

Caddying for my son is the greatest thing in the world.

[quote name='tobaccoroad' timestamp='1398404728' post='9166765']Great to see all of the local players in my area!
I live about 10 minutes from Chapel Ridge and The Preserve and have memberships to both. I also live about 10 minutes from Governors Club (where I work). Finley is about 15 minutes away and Duke about 25 minutes. All courses are awesome and I would say Governors Club is the best in the area. No disrespect to Old Chatham, but it is not my favorite Rees Jones. Extremely high Member experience and service but a pretty above average course in amazing condition. Best Bloody Marys in the area though!

Anyone local looking for a game sometime hit me up with a PM. Would love to meet some of you guys and see some of the WRX long hitters in person!
I will NOT play Lonnie Poole though haha. Tobacco Road is a must play however...[/quote]

Sounds like an invite to play Govenors Club to me. Just let me know the tee time and I'm there. ;)
Not one of the long hitters here though.

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

[quote name='PGood' timestamp='1398430168' post='9167607']
[quote name='tobaccoroad' timestamp='1398404728' post='9166765']Great to see all of the local players in my area!

I will NOT play Lonnie Poole though haha. Tobacco Road is a must play however...[/quote]

Sounds like an invite to play Govenors Club to me. Just let me know the tee time and I'm there. ;)
Not one of the long hitters here though.
[/quote]

+2

Ping i500, DG S300 105

[quote name='lightningbolt444' timestamp='1393300050' post='8739352']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, I am so sorry for not responding earlier. Didn't see your post until just now.

Brook Valley is a great course. Short, but definitely a shotmakers course. Lots of doglegs....second shot course. Bradford Creek is good also....wide open. Long.
Ironwood is probably the best overall. I've never played it but heard lots of positives.

Ayden is a nice country course. Kept in good condition and cheap.

Cutter Creek in Snow Hill is the hardest. That is one tough track. Great layout. In the middle of nowhere, but well worth the drive. If you play Cutter Creek well....you can play anywhere. Cutter Creek can hold its own against any course I've ever played. Bring your "A" game, you'll need it.

Not near as many choices as the Triangle or Triad area, but there are some good ones.

Charlie Daniels

[quote name='Wedge' timestamp='1398723342' post='9190089']

Cutter Creek in Snow Hill is the hardest. That is one tough track. Great layout. In the middle of nowhere, but well worth the drive. If you play Cutter Creek well....you can play anywhere. Cutter Creek can hold its own against any course I've ever played. Bring your "A" game, you'll need it.

[/quote]

I've only played Cutter Creek once but enjoyed it immensely. Great layout and facility in general. Once they get their clubhouse built it will really be special there, especially as it continues to grow in. I think they opened in '09 or '10, so it's still a pretty young course.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

I'd be down for playing. I'm a 10 handi most of the time however I can play like a 25 if I'm not hitting balls regularly lol. I live about 10 minutes from Heritage and play there sometimes. I love Olde Liberty's layout although the conditions suck and the course tends to eat me alive.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

[quote name='Bucken77' timestamp='1398785268' post='9195211']I'd be down for playing. I'm a 10 handi most of the time however I can play like a 25 if I'm not hitting balls regularly lol. I live about 10 minutes from Heritage and play there sometimes. I love Olde Liberty's layout although the conditions suck and the course tends to eat me alive.[/quote]

I also live about 10 min from heritage. I have only played old liberty once but I didn't like the conditions so I have never been back.

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1398780426' post='9194587']

[/quote]

I've only played Cutter Creek once but enjoyed it immensely. Great layout and facility in general. Once they get their clubhouse built it will really be special there, especially as it continues to grow in. I think they opened in '09 or '10, so it's still a pretty young course.
[/quote]

They were having some financial issues, but the development was bought by the man who owns a ton of Bojangles restaurants a couple of years ago. Hosted a Hooters Tour event a couple of years ago.

If you ever get to the Crystal Coast area, check out North River just outside of Beaufort, NC. Designed by same group. Great course. Not quite as hard as Cutter Creek, but fun and challenging.

Charlie Daniels

[quote name='Wedge' timestamp='1398791871' post='9196169']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hosted a Hooters Tour event a couple of years ago.

[/quote]

They're still on the NGA Tour event schedule - June 19-22 this year. There's a real Eastern North Carolina swing this year with events in Snow Hill, Hertford, Fayetteville and Windsor all right in a row. I've played in the Avoca Classic pro-am at Scotch Hall in Windsor the last couple of years - another sleeper gem in a hard to get to place.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1398792413' post='9196251']
[quote name='Wedge' timestamp='1398791871' post='9196169']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hosted a Hooters Tour event a couple of years ago.

[/quote]

They're still on the NGA Tour event schedule - June 19-22 this year. There's a real Eastern North Carolina swing this year with events in Snow Hill, Hertford, Fayetteville and Windsor all right in a row. I've played in the Avoca Classic pro-am at Scotch Hall in Windsor the last couple of years - another sleeper gem in a hard to get to place.
[/quote]

Met one of the pros at Scotch Hall. Haven't played it, but heard it was outstanding. It is in the middle of nowhere.

Charlie Daniels

[quote name='PGood' timestamp='1398791410' post='9196109']
[quote name='Bucken77' timestamp='1398785268' post='9195211']I'd be down for playing. I'm a 10 handi most of the time however I can play like a 25 if I'm not hitting balls regularly lol. I live about 10 minutes from Heritage and play there sometimes. I love Olde Liberty's layout although the conditions suck and the course tends to eat me alive.[/quote]

I also live about 10 min from heritage. I have only played old liberty once but I didn't like the conditions so I have never been back.
[/quote]

It's pretty awful which stinks because I do love the layout. Makes me use all the clubs in my bag.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77