2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TSA PROBLEM, EVERY TRAVELING GOLFER MUST KNOW

[quote name='toc' timestamp='1392599663' post='8682829']
I think I'd rather them do this than not, honestly.
[/quote]
This x 100.

I have a hard shell SKB case and I shudder to think what you could actually hide in it if you were so inclined to do so. I travel 6-8 times a year with it and they usually pop it open, do their thing, and lay everything back down inside. I always remove the driver heads, put them in their headcovers and either bring them with me or put them in the side pocket. I leave as little in the case as possible so they can do their inspection and be done with it. Very simple, never had one issue with it.

I cant imagine how thankless and hard their job is with people just spitting at them all day - especially the gate guys. Although with TSA PreCheck I have to say I really dont interact with them for more than 10 seconds. But I always try to say thanks when I do go through.

What I will never understand is the people who decide they want to start something with these guys - either the guys looking at your bags or the gate guys or whoever. Really? Thats probably the most idiotic thing I can think to do. Its like the people who scream at the ticket agent because the flight has been cancelled. Guess who's not getting helped onto the next flight?

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1392643739' post='8685399']
[quote name='toc' timestamp='1392599663' post='8682829']
I think I'd rather them do this than not, honestly.
[/quote]
This x 100.

I have a hard shell SKB case and I shudder to think what you could actually hide in it if you were so inclined to do so. I travel 6-8 times a year with it and they usually pop it open, do their thing, and lay everything back down inside. I always remove the driver heads, put them in their headcovers and either bring them with me or put them in the side pocket. I leave as little in the case as possible so they can do their inspection and be done with it. Very simple, never had one issue with it.

I cant imagine how thankless and hard their job is with people just spitting at them all day - especially the gate guys. Although with TSA PreCheck I have to say I really dont interact with them for more than 10 seconds. But I always try to say thanks when I do go through.

What I will never understand is the people who decide they want to start something with these guys - either the guys looking at your bags or the gate guys or whoever. Really? Thats probably the most idiotic thing I can think to do. Its like the people who scream at the ticket agent because the flight has been cancelled. Guess who's not getting helped onto the next flight?
[/quote]

Not to get too deep into our political views, but I'm not a fan of the TSA going through my stuff. It's been shown many times that they do a terrible job of identifying items that are an actual risk. So what they do doesn't work, but does find hair gel and golf shoes. I'm giving up my rights for that?

Callaway Epic Sub Zero with Rogue Max
Cobra F6 Baffler
Ping g30 19*, 22*, 26* hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec 6i-GW
Ping Glide WS 54* and 60*
Evnroll ER7

[quote name='arydolphin' timestamp='1392679764' post='8689271']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1392677019' post='8688925']
Maybe FedEx is the way to go.
[/quote]

Shipsticks is the way to go. A bit more expensive than paying the bag fees on an airline, but you don't have to deal with TSA or the hassle of dragging your clubs through the airport.
[/quote]If I can fly Southwest, then clubs fly free. I will drag them with me to save the shipping costs(along with most others).

[quote name='arydolphin' timestamp='1392679764' post='8689271']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1392677019' post='8688925']
Maybe FedEx is the way to go.
[/quote]

Shipsticks is the way to go. A bit more expensive than paying the bag fees on an airline, but you don't have to deal with TSA or the hassle of dragging your clubs through the airport.
[/quote]

Hi Ary! I hope you are well! :-)

I almost always take my sticks with me when we travel and have only had 1 issue out of probably 30ish flights. Ended up with a bent shaft on my brand new Vokey. Had less than 10 swings on it before the trip. I have never once seen them do anything extra with my clubs and have only once found a TSA notice in my bag (find them in our suitcases more occassionally).

After reading some advice here, I will start to pull the heads on my woods. Great idea that I have never employed.

I take clubs with my each time I fly it seems.. I can't remember the last time mine weren't inspected. I never have physically witnessed someone going through my bag, but I have about 15-20 of those TSA notes in my bad. I seem to keep them in there and they keep adding up, maybe the TSA people will realize it's not my first time traveling with clubs and will respect mine a little more?

Who knows. I agree it's garbage to have someone disrespecting your stuff but then again this is the world we live in, we have to take so many more steps to ensure safety and I am completely fine with that.

Went on a guys golf trip to LaQuinta last week. Bought a brand new sbk hardshell travel case with the tsa lock that's part of the middle latch...well tsa broke the lock right off of the latch. Clubs didn't look like they were messed with but now I have to buy a tsa lock with a strap. I guess I'd rather spend $20 on a new lock then have a golf club broken. Still sucks.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1392692189' post='8691051']
Went on a guys golf trip to LaQuinta last week. Bought a brand new sbk hardshell travel case with the tsa lock that's part of the middle latch...well tsa broke the lock right off of the latch. Clubs didn't look like they were messed with but now I have to buy a tsa lock with a strap. I guess I'd rather spend $20 on a new lock then have a golf club broken. Still sucks.
[/quote]

Call SKB, tell them exactly what happened, they will ship you a brand new lock assembly for no charge. Thats one of the many things I love about the case, all the parts are made to be removable and replaceable if they break. I had the same thing happen once as well, I think TSA just jammed the key a little too hard when they were locking it back up. SKB shipped me a new latch assembly and I replaced it in about three minutes. Super easy.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

That's the kind of thing that leads me to tape over my lock and write "NO" on the tape. Those flimsy keys, combined with the typical hectic and jumbled environment of a busy airport is an accident like that waiting to happen. I'd be beside myself if I got to my destination, expecting to collect my bags and be teeing off 2 hours later and found a jammed or broken lock keeping me from getting at my clubs.

Not a bad idea actually. I always use a separate TSA locking strap as a backup anyway - habit I guess from my other cases.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I've always had my golf bag checked, but nothing damaged or missing. Maybe out of order though. I usually travel with a 14 way top so can't put the head at the bottom. What I do though is take my long irons and rubber band at the top and bottom to my wood shafts to prevent breakage. They've never taken them apart. I also wrap the top up with a towel.

I have the SKB case and do not even lock it as I know the TSA will open it up any way. It saves both of us the trouble. Learned my lesson on a trip to FL. I locked it and forgot to bring the key with me. I found this out at the destination airport so I brought it over to the TSA and they unlocked it for me with their key. That was really nice of them to do this for me.

[quote name='tourbound' timestamp='1392539845' post='8678247']
This week I was traveling from Miami airport to a tour event. When checking my clubs, TSA took my golf bag for inspection. Usually a normal procedure, until I noticed him taking each club and laying on them on the ground.

He inspected each club individually before jamming them back in the bag and bending each wood into my club glove before attempting to zip it up. As this was happening I began taking a picture in complete frustration before I was told by security that I couldn't take pictures. I knew my Constitutional Rights and the First Amendment allowed me to witness this attack on my sticks but the TSA guy started yelling at me so I left.

Not sure why I'm writing this but I am so frustrated by the TSA and airports total disregard for golf clubs. This is my profession and when my sticks are broken before going to an event it not only affects my attitude but my livelihood.

If anyone else has this problem please let me know how I we make a legal stand.
[/quote]

I travel 3 weeks a month for work and bring my clubs probably 2/3 of the time. I have had similar issues on multiple occasions. Last year, a TSA agent dropped all of my irons and a week old R1 driver with a $400 shaft in it and acted as if it was no big deal. I went on a tyrant and yelled at them for quite some time. They were smart enough to just listen to what I had to say. The TSA has very little authority and if you know your rights, they can't really do anything about you speaking your mind. As an executive platinum passenger on AA, my clubs fly free so, i continue to check them instead of shipping them to my location. I have never had an clubs damaged but, airlines have purchased me two travel bags that they have damaged over the last few years. Best of luck on your future travels.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1392568421' post='8679547']
[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1392568188' post='8679529']
Do bags get searched on domestic flights in the US?
[/quote]

Yes.

To the OP...how was it that you were present to see the TSA inspection? Not doubting you but normally with oversize bags the inspection is after they go on the belt into the baggage handling area. Maybe things have changed in the Miami airport but I've been in and out of there with clubs numerous times and have never been present for an exam.
[/quote]

I don't mind the inspection as I want the airlines to be safe. However, I find it interesting that on the TSA's website it says that it allows photos and videos of security and searches.

My bag was searched in plain sight right behind the ticketing counter at a TSA desk. My driver has a ding on the side of the crown as the headcover was never put on correctly and I have big scratches on my brand new Aldila "rubber coating" shafts.

I just wish TSA would be more proper and take care of other people's property.

Bump, my bag was obviously dropped on something hard because I have the exact same dent in the bottom 4 of my epons. Spirit didn't give two craps because I used a soft case. The bag was opened and all the clothes/towels I had wrapped around were moved and not replaced, I'm assuming they pulled the whole bag out. I will not be flying with my clubs at any point in the future.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1392576108' post='8680163']
[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1392566711' post='8679387']
So your saying I shouldn't hide the herb in my bag this trip?
[/quote]

You're probably OK if flying Colorado to Washington.
[/quote]

Yes, true.....coming up to have a look at the Vince Lombardi Trophy are ya!

I just took a trip from Detroit to Orlando for a week of golf. The TSA checked my clubs both ways in my Bag Boy carry bag. Nothing was damaged. To Orlando they didn't make me sign a waiver, but did back to Detroit? The TSA people deal with sooo many people continuously, that they appear to lose sensitivity to people's needs/desires. I try to always treat them with respect, even if it's not genuine, to get the best service possible. For example, one TSA agent was definately a smarta**, but I just played the game of tactfulness, even though I wanted to call him an f'n JA! Usually people respond well to kindness and patience.

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1392558074' post='8678671']
I am headed to Scotland in the fall. Do's, don'ts of packing clubs and gear? Should my gps be in the bag?
[/quote]

1. Hard-shell travel case. They are more expensive than the soft-covers, but FAR cheaper than replacing/repairing damaged clubs.

2. Don't lock your case or do anything that makes it difficult to open. The TSA will damage it or the zippers trying to get it open.

3. Don't put anything in your case that will draw undue attention to your luggage. Just got back from a trip to Arizona and I put two re-charge packs (for cell phones, Ipads, etc) into my checked suitcase, and the Trunk Monkies all but SHREDDED the zipper to the compartment they were in. Damaged the zipper so badly that the suitcase was unusable for the tip home. Had to buy a new suitcase, and put the power-packs in my carry-on bag and made sure to take them OUT to run through the scanner like I would a laptop.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Removable heads in carry-on (D and 3W)
Laser in carry-on
Balls? Buy when I get there. No need to include.
Clubs upside down in bag (I have a Burstproof-II, which has been very reliable so far).
Wrap grips/shaft butt ends sticking out in bubblewrap.

Only once have they taken out my clubs and turned some of them right side up (the easier ones to flip over). However didn't have a note that it was opened/inspected and I notified the departing TSA office the following day. They are to leave a note when checking. "How do you know they opened it?" "Because I pack my clubs upside down in the bag. 6 of them were turned right side up when I opened the case at home, and no note."

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Personally, I wish there was a side airport that allowed legal gun carrying permits, no bag inspections, etc... There would be no TSA and it would be fly at your own risk. I would personally feel a lot safer on a plane like that. I don't see that any of these restrictions prevent anyone from trying to do something that has a lot of willpower.

But anyway, that is neither here nor there. I was in the military, and I will respect the laws and regulations of this country regardless of whether I agree with them or not. Having said that, there is a way around this, and I am not sure if it has been mentioned. But now that they charge for bags, I usually just ship my clubs. Cost is less, they are insured, and I know they will be there before I even leave!

Have never flown with my clubs that they haven't been checked, they have never ever put them back in any sort of sensible manner generally jammed together in just a few pockets with covers all swapped around and some clubs upside down and the internal straps holding my carry bag securely in place inside the travel bag have never been rebuckled. So far no damage but I now only bring my older cast clubs that have no value, an old putter and if my driver/fairways get damaged I figure it's a good excuse to buy more current versions (hopefully at some one elses expense.).

Funny thing is last two flights my wifes were checked but everything was put back perfect and all buckles and zippers closed (they once left the zipper wide open of my travel bag), so as an experiment I put my shoes in her bag as there is nothing else that would really differ between the two bags, so I get back home to find hers neatly all tucked in and everything in its place while mine was once again a scattered disheveled mess. I give up!

I used to leave stacks of the inspection slips in my bag but they made no difference so threw them all out.
They inspect the bags right in plain sight at our local airport and routinely throw clubs on the floor, never hung around to watch as it would just drive me crazy and there is nothing you're going to say to these people that will change their search methods.