2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TSA PROBLEM, EVERY TRAVELING GOLFER MUST KNOW

[quote name='philsRHman' timestamp='1392576421' post='8680183']
Every time I've traveled with my clubs in the last 3-4 years I've had a note in there from TSA saying they inspected it. I've never noticed anything out of place though, and I pack the back a bit strangely, take the head off my driver shaft and insert a homemade version of a stiff arm (made a small T out of a 1x2 just a tad longer than my longest club).
[/quote]
Yeah, I always take any removable heads off any clubs! It just makes cents.

Another reason I like the hard sided case is that if they do take all your stuff out, no matter how they put it back, clubs are still protected. If you pack/wrap your stuff up nice and tight in a soft side and TSA takes it all apart - there's almost no chance it makes it back together the same way.

Flew back from Orlando last night and its the first airport I can remember where you dont check in and they make you take your carry case over to TSA to get pre-scanned. Rental car wise my hard sided case and a Last Bag fit just fine in a Nissan Altima.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On my UK trips the return leg involves schlepping the bag myself to the inspection point (their equivalent of TSA) and then when making my domestic connection in Atlanta I have to claim my bag and carry it myself to be re-scanned before being placed on my connecting flight.

For outbound my dinky local airport has the deal where you check it at the airline ticket counter, they put the baggage handling tag on the handle and then you take it to the nearby TSA guy who opens and inspects it right there in the airport lobby. After a couple times I just quit watching and leave him to do his thing on my golf club while I head to the security line to have my carryon scanned and my "junk" inspected on the millimeter-wave machine.

GIven a choice, I'd rather they lose the full-body scan and keep pawing through my golf bag than vice versa.

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1392558074' post='8678671']
I am headed to Scotland in the fall. Do's, don'ts of packing clubs and gear? Should my gps be in the bag?
[/quote]

I have travelled to Ireland and Scotland a couple of times and you have less to worry about going there than you do in the states. About the only thing you have to pay attention to is the weight of your golf bag and luggage. For a golf bag I believe it's got to be under 50 lbs but check with your airline. I flew Aer Lingus both times and kept it to about 43 lbs. with no problems. If you're concerned about it just put the GPS in your carry-on.

Knock on wood, we have not had any issues with golf clubs and the TSA when flying domestically. But they are still morons. You would THINK that with the number of golf bags they inspect on a daily basis they would know how to do it and put things back they way they found them. It doesn't take any extra time to do it right. But like I said, they are morons, and they just don't care. Most of the TSA personnel have the IQ of an asparagus and nothing they do surprises me anymore.

If you are really worried about it you have to bite the bullet, spend the money, and have them shipped. I'm considering this just from the standpoint of not having to drag a Club Glove around with me.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

Don't know about Ireland but in England and Scotland at the major international airports there are Excess Baggage (tm) franchises where you can store your travel case for a nominal fee. Just take the golf bag out of the case as soon as you claim your bags, give the case to the Excess Baggage folks and pick it back up again on the day of departure.

Schlepping around a 20-pound carry bag of clubs beats a 50-pound, bulky travel case any time. I've traveled pretty fair distances by train and auto within UK toting just a carryon size suitcase (with backpack straps on it) and my Titleist Ultralight carry bag and clubs. My golf shoes I put in a shoe bag and clip it to the towel ring of the Ultralight. About 25 pounds on each shoulder and not bulky at all.

WIsh they had the Excess Baggage type deals here for domestic trips. Man I hate wrangling that SKB case in and out of hotel rooms and rental cars.

[quote name='snookybusby' timestamp='1393284773' post='8737442']
Personally, I wish there was a side airport that allowed legal gun carrying permits, no bag inspections, etc... There would be no TSA and it would be fly at your own risk. I would personally feel a lot safer on a plane like that. I don't see that any of these restrictions prevent anyone from trying to do something that has a lot of willpower.

But anyway, that is neither here nor there. I was in the military, and I will respect the laws and regulations of this country regardless of whether I agree with them or not. Having said that, there is a way around this, and I am not sure if it has been mentioned. But now that they charge for bags, I usually just ship my clubs. Cost is less, they are insured, and I know they will be there before I even leave!
[/quote]

No amount of security can prevent anyone from doing anything that has "a lot of willpower", and is committed. The point of security is to make doing it so darn difficult, that that person decides that it is not worth the effort and the risk of getting caught.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

I'm flying down to Tampa on March 8th to play for a week. I looked at Ship Sticks and they want $114.00 to ship both ways. That includes $2K in insurance. I'm flying Southwest which has no baggage fees so it's just a matter of whether or not I want to spend the extra money.

The price really isn't that bad. On the plus side, I don't have to worry about the TSA going through my bag, which in itself might be worth it, and there is no schlepping the thing around. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Bridgestone Tour B330

To me the big question is whether there's someone on the other end I can count on to sign for my clubs and hold them until I arrive and then send them off for me after I leave. Because two things I would not do are:

1) Time the clubs arrival too close to my own arrival. I'd want to know the clubs were safe and ready for me to use BEFORE getting on the plane to make the trip.

2) Spend a good part of the last day of my trip packing clubs and schlepping them to some shipping point to send them home.

If I'm making a trip to play golf, I want to play playing golf a couple hours after arriving and I want to be playing golf right up until time to come home. Not messing about with club-shipping logistic. At a nice golf resort they will often be set up to handle those details. But how about at a hotel? Let's say you're checking out at 7am, heading to the course to play golf and then going from there to catch a 4pm flight home. When do the clubs get shipped home on that timeline?

I talked to the hotel, a Clarion, and they said they deal with this all the time, so nothing new for them. The clubs would be there on Friday and I get in Saturday afternoon. I can play the whole week and the clubs would get picked up either Saturday or the following Monday.

Have to check with the wife and see what she thinks. I just sent a set of clubs and a bag for her to her mom's place in Clearwater. They're her old set and we'll just keep them down there.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Bridgestone Tour B330

Yeah, if the hotel can handle accepting and sending the bag it's real tempting. Of course all my golf trips are overseas and the shipping cost is astronomical. But I've always figured one day when I go to Bandon I'll do the ship-ahead deal (they even have a deal with FedEx or someone that simplifies the booking).

P.S. Now that's spooky! I typed the above message and then precisely four minutes later received an E-mail titleist "Bandon Dunes Introduces The Punchbowl Putting Course".

For the guys that have shipped your clubs, how much earlier than your trip did you have to ship them? That's always held me back, I'm guessing you probably have to allow several days each way for the shipping? I just don't want to be without my clubs for an extra week or two. If they overnight or second day air them, then it wouldn't be quite as bad.

With a 40-50 pound package of golf club you're talking a lot of money for overnight and even second-day will be very expensive if it's a trip of a thousand miles or more. Very expensive.

Probably need to plan for ground shipping time, plus allowing an extra couple days on the outbound trip in case they are delayed for some reason. I'd figure a full week outbound, maybe even an extra day or two if it's all the way across country.

I just bought a whole new set of clubs in the off season before I went to Orlando for a golf vacation. Many thoughts went through my mind about shipping and airlines/TSA issues. I had all my 'previous' set of clubs packed and ready to go to florida in my golf bag and BagBoy travel case.I had thought about shipping them direct and wondered if they were any safer that way? They could get lost, stranded in a snowstorm, arrive late or to the wrong hotel, etc. Finally I said, "the heck with it", and put all my newly purchased clubs in my golf bag and BagBoy Soft travel bag and shipped them via airline flight. Everything worked out perfectly, no damage, and arrived just fine. I guess life if full of chances!

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1392566711' post='8679387']
So your saying I shouldn't hide the herb in my bag this trip?
[/quote]

I had a buddy a few years ago stuff pot down the shaft of his putter and regrip it to sneak it across the border. What a dummy. Nobody in the car knew about it, and it put us all in danger. We didn't drive him back home and I haven't spoken to him since!

Few points.

TSA, yeah just the fact they check everything be deterrance to some terrorists, but as with most gov oversight, its mainly a false sense of security...similar to SEC

I've traveled with clubs once, and the club glove came back with huge hole ripped open and the arm bar was bent in half, and the golf bag was scraped. clubs were ok luckily. As another mentioned, i have no problem with TSA checking, but what kind of jerks are being hired that don't have enough respect, character, or decency to be able to open a golf bag, do their thing checking for explosives, and send the bag along its way without damaging the items. i don't care how many bags go through, accidents happen, but there are enough getting damaged that show us how little TSA or airline bag handlers put into their efforts to not damage others property.

As far as other companies such as Shipsticks...what is their process of shipping your clubs. i always thought people used them as a convenience of not lugging them to and around the airport. i thought that even using shipsticks, the clubs are still going through tsa and being tossed around a conveyor belt by the careless bag handlers on their way to your destination. Am I wrong?

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1393448227' post='8751772']
Few points.

TSA, yeah just the fact they check everything be deterrance to some terrorists, but as with most gov oversight, its mainly a false sense of security...similar to SEC

I've traveled with clubs once, and the club glove came back with huge hole ripped open and the arm bar was bent in half, and the golf bag was scraped. clubs were ok luckily. As another mentioned, i have no problem with TSA checking, but what kind of jerks are being hired that don't have enough respect, character, or decency to be able to open a golf bag, do their thing checking for explosives, and send the bag along its way without damaging the items. i don't care how many bags go through, accidents happen, but there are enough getting damaged that show us how little TSA or airline bag handlers put into their efforts to not damage others property.

As far as other companies such as Shipsticks...what is their process of shipping your clubs. i always thought people used them as a convenience of not lugging them to and around the airport. i thought that even using shipsticks, the clubs are still going through tsa and being tossed around a conveyor belt by the careless bag handlers on their way to your destination. Am I wrong?
[/quote]
I'd say that almost every time that damage like yours occurs, it is the automatic beltway system. Golf bags being long and unwieldy can sometime fail to make a turn or jam against a corner. Beltways are unsympathetic and the force they can impart make golf clubs no match (and it happens in seconds). Same thing can happen at UPS, FedEx, etc...

Shipsticks are going to ship them with UPS/FedEx/Purolator and not likely on a public airline. As such they aren't going to be subject to a TSA search although Customs may get ahold of them if they go international.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' timestamp='1393260820' post='8734750']
I fly with my clubs on occasion, they're welcome to rifle through the bag and dent anything they want if the plane takes off and lands safely.
[/quote]

Seriously? So it's okay then to trash your clubs for no good reason.....

I was going to post my horror stories but would be here all day.

I see no reason TSA can't have a bit of respect for the property they inspect. The "power" goes to their head
at times. Certain individuals do not handle it well.

I no longer travel with my clubs when I fly and will tell you it's the best decision I've ever made. The additional cost
is well worth the piece of mind, no more damaged clubs, stolen items and trashed protectors. Not having to lug it through
the Airport and then reclaim it is another bonus.

You guys that have been lucky and not had a problem... it's only a matter of time.

Yeah and it's only a matter of time until your shipping service fails to deliver your clubs in time for you to use them.

For that matter, in the long run we're all dead. It's only a matter of time.

P.S. I'll venture a guess that of the next 100 golf clubs that are damaged during an airline journey, at least 90 of them will be damaged by the airport baggage system and not by anything to do with a TSA inspection.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1393418727' post='8748168']
For the guys that have shipped your clubs, how much earlier than your trip did you have to ship them? That's always held me back, I'm guessing you probably have to allow several days each way for the shipping? I just don't want to be without my clubs for an extra week or two. If they overnight or second day air them, then it wouldn't be quite as bad.
[/quote]

I use golfbagshipping.com for the big trips -- Hawaii & Pebble Beach etc. for example the custom pick up times and locations is important. For the trip to PB it went like this - I dropped off at Fedex office, they then showed up at the PB resort, resort sent them home and had them routed to my office and not risk having to either meet the fedex guy or leave on my porch at home --- all other trips I just check on with last bag and stiff arm (I prefer SWA)

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1393343278' post='8741556']
[quote name='snookybusby' timestamp='1393284773' post='8737442']
Personally, I wish there was a side airport that allowed legal gun carrying permits, no bag inspections, etc... There would be no TSA and it would be fly at your own risk. I would personally feel a lot safer on a plane like that. I don't see that any of these restrictions prevent anyone from trying to do something that has a lot of willpower.

But anyway, that is neither here nor there. I was in the military, and I will respect the laws and regulations of this country regardless of whether I agree with them or not. Having said that, there is a way around this, and I am not sure if it has been mentioned. But now that they charge for bags, I usually just ship my clubs. Cost is less, they are insured, and I know they will be there before I even leave!
[/quote]

No amount of security can prevent anyone from doing anything that has "a lot of willpower", and is committed. The point of security is to make doing it so darn difficult, that that person decides that it is not worth the effort and the risk of getting caught.
[/quote]

Fanatics don't reason.

There are 20 of us heading to Bandon Dunes next week. Half are from Boston and the rest from various parts of Ohio. We have all decided to use Shipsticks.com to send our clubs to Bandon for the following reasons:

1. Don't have to deal with TSA (seriously, this was the biggest pain)
2. Risk of airlines losing your sticks versus UPS of FedEx is higher (plus recovery is faster with the freight carriers)
3. We don't have to schlep our sticks to/from airport not to mention worrying about renting a car that can fit 3-4 golf travel bags plus your luggage
4. Bandon handles the receipt and return of your sticks very professionally

To the OP, I really feel your pain. Those sticks are your livelihood and should be treated with care and respect. I can't imagine how I'd react if I were to hear one of my shafts snap while a TSA was "repacking" my bag!

[quote] I can't imagine how I'd react if I were to hear one of my shafts snap while a TSA was "repacking" my bag! [/quote]The only thing you can do is take it up the...well, you know. Do anything else will just get you into more trouble you don't want! Four of us just got back from florida and TSA inspected out clubs coming and going without a problem, as 99% of the time it's ok. Many people travel and we only hear of the bad events. I do like the option of using a company like Shipsticks.com, though.

The rental thing is nice...if they have clubs that fit you. I need +1-inch and 3º upright, so renting is probably not an option for me. I don't see why TSA has to trash anyone's luggage. That's beyond me. You can unzip and poke and prod without breaking anything.

Taking a private jet is the only way to go. (I wish)

[quote name='dntrs4' timestamp='1393694106' post='8771780']
There are 20 of us heading to Bandon Dunes next week. Half are from Boston and the rest from various parts of Ohio. We have all decided to use Shipsticks.com to send our clubs to Bandon for the following reasons:

4. Bandon handles the receipt and return of your sticks very professionally

[/quote]

I had to ship clubs/bags in and out of Bandon Dunes last year. Their shipping department is great and very used to handling clubs. Although, I was a bit surprised to get back into my office and find the fed ex shipping tags directly on my soft travel bag. Would have thought they woulda boxed it up....

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

I am beginning to wonder if all you guys getting searched look like this at the checkin?
[attachment=2099721:images-1.jpeg]

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize