2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TSA PROBLEM, EVERY TRAVELING GOLFER MUST KNOW

Just got back from Florida (which was awesome, by the way), and my SKB was checked both ways. The only problem I could see was they put two irons in one slot. In the grand scheme of things, no big deal.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Diamana Kai'li-R
Ping G15 4 Wood 17* Serrano 75-R
Ping G25 20* Hybrid TFC189-R
Ping Anser 23* Hybrid TFC800H-R
Ping i25 4,5,6 / S55 7-W CFS-R
Ping Glide SS 50* CFS-W
Ping Glide ES 56* CFS-W
Ping Anser G2
Golf Pride CP2 Wraps
Yellow Trusoft / Elite 50

I took a trip to the Bahamas a few weeks ago, and could tell my clubs were inspected on the way down. I use a stiff arm in my travel bag, and it wasn't as tight when I picked the bag up. Other than that, everything was fine. I had removed the heads on my driver and woods and placed them inside the headcovers and put them in the large pocket of my golf bag. On the way back, I threw most of my dirty laundry in the travel bag - it didn't look like the bag was touched on the way home. :lol:

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I just got back (to Chicago) from a week in Clearwater, FL and didn't have any problems. My Club Glove made it through the trip unscathed by the baggage handlers and unmolested by the TSA. Hope to have the same results when going to Vegas for a week in early April. Normally this would not even be a concern, but you guys have (now) made me paranoid. LOL.

BTW, good idea with the dirty laundry. I like that. Just use your travel bag as a hamper for a week. That should ward off any pesky inspections if they open it up and get a whiff.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1395236015' post='8903543']
Yeah or just go ahead and take a dump in there right before you check your bag. That'll teach 'em!
[/quote]

Tried it last Summer on a trip to DC. Doesn't work....they still searched it.

R9 460 10.5 L flex 46"

COBRA Baffler XL 17* FW
COBRA Baffler XL 22* 25* 28* hybrids
Hand ground Bazooka QLS 7-PW

Component Wedges 50* 54* 60* 63*
(hand grinds) torched 

Heavy Putter B2m 38" Ust FF shaft
Rife Switchback XL (custom long neck) 34" UST FF 

I use neon zip ties to identify my luggage. I'll 'lock' my travel bag with a zip tie through the zippers. It is easy for them to clip, and if they do I know my bag has been opened. I can check it at the airport for any apparent damage.

More often than not, my clubs are searched. It is rare they are not...

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

Just went to and from San Diego from Oregon and I had my bag inspected both times.

The TSA cleared sticker doens't mean it was inspected by hand. They have to leave a little slip inside that says they opened and checked. The TSA cleared stick on the tag on the outside just means that they approved it for flight.

[quote name='wdm50' timestamp='1392643439' post='8685383']
[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1392558074' post='8678671']
I am headed to Scotland in the fall. Do's, don'ts of packing clubs and gear? Should my gps be in the bag?
[/quote]I remove my heads on my Driver and 3 wood and put in my carryon backpack, I really have not had any issue's with TSA, but I have heard horror stories. The trick is to find you a very rich friend who has a private jet, now that is the way to travel. Hope your trip across the pond brings great memories and the golf Demon's stay in the US.
[/quote]

I am gonna think of that the next time I fly...remove my driver head. What a great idea.

Driver: Tour Issued TaylorMade M4, 9.1 Deg // Matrix VLCT 60g X flex
3 Wood: Tour Issued TaylorMade M1, 3HL 17.1 Deg // Diamana D+ 82g X flex
3 Iron: Adams DHY 21 Deg // Matrix White Tie 83g X Flex
Irons: TaylorMade MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
Wedges: Callaway MD4, 52, 56 & 60 // TT DG Tour Issued S200
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 
Bag: Titelst StaDry

Grip: GolfPride MCC Team Red/Yellow (Calgary Flames colors)

[quote name='Awarren11' timestamp='1396541211' post='9011533']
Anybody ever heard of putting a lock on your bag, just like with other luggage?
[/quote]

Just like other luggage, it needs to be a TSA-approved (i.e. removable) lock. I use a TSA-approved combination lock on my golf travel bag. It doesn't prevent them from opening it.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

[quote name='Awarren11' timestamp='1396541211' post='9011533']
Anybody ever heard of putting a lock on your bag, just like with other luggage?
[/quote]

wait, you think a simple lock keeps tsa out of bags? they have keys for approved locks, otherwise they cut it and your out of a lock

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• 1 year later...

I take mine with me just about every week and they are constantly switched around etc... I haven't had any damaged but I'm always worried about it so I now travel with my backups only and don't worry about it... I also no longer care about leaving them in the trunk at the hotel since they're old blade Wilsons (sweet clubs by the way but replaced for $30 on eBay), an i20 driver that I could replace with anything and my back up wedges.

I don't know why it bothered me that they didn't put them back in the same place, but I know how tricky closing my case (SKB hard) can be so I know with how fast they go it would be unreasonable for me to expect them to have as much time to be careful as I have when packing it. Now obviously I wish I could expect them to be careful but they have a thankless, boring, but important job so i'll live with my back ups and a little less worry on the road.

To the poster earlier about Wild West Airlines, awful idea... People on the ground care about what happens in the sky too.

for the past 14 years I've taken about 3 - 6 golf trips annually taking airlines.

I know TSA looks in my travel bag, since they leave their card.

Never had a problem with my clubs or anything missing, except 8 years ago when I bought a TSA approved lock. When I picked up bag at the destination airport the lock was missing. So I now don't bother to lock my travel bag (except for the times I ship by Fedex).

I hadn't flown with clubs in a number of years but did it twice in the last 12 months. They definitely didn't open my travel bag. I know this because the way I packed my clubs and the way I weaved a few players towels between the iron heads. The club and bag were exactly the way I packed them on both round trip flights. I was pretty shocked.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I travel nearly every week for work and bring my clubs more than half the time. I probably have 20 TSA inspection cards at the bottom of my club glove travel bag. I've only had them inspect my clubs in my view once, and it was at the Kansas City Airport. Each club was removed, wiped with their swap to test for explosive material and then sat on a table. The lady managed to knock all 14 clubs off and they crashed to the tile floor a few feet below. I was not happy, since the head overs had been removed from the woods. I got upset and talked to several managers before the issue was resolved. Since that incident, I haven't had issues. Also, when they wiped my clubs, the explosive test came back positive due to the solvent residue left from changing grips the week before. I had to answer about 100 questions and then was allowed to head to security. I would ship my bag, but my clubs fly free on Delta and American, so it's hard to justify paying to ship them. I'm on Club Glove #3 in a five year span due to abuse from the airline luggage handlers.

I travel nearly every week for work and bring my clubs more than half the time. I probably have 20 TSA inspection cards at the bottom of my club glove travel bag. I've only had them inspect my clubs in my view once, and it was at the Kansas City Airport. Each club was removed, wiped with their swap to test for explosive material and then sat on a table. The lady managed to knock all 14 clubs off and they crashed to the tile floor a few feet below. I was not happy, since the head overs had been removed from the woods. I got upset and talked to several managers before the issue was resolved. Since that incident, I haven't had issues. Also, when they wiped my clubs, the explosive test came back positive due to the solvent residue left from changing grips the week before. I had to answer about 100 questions and then was allowed to head to security. I would ship my bag, but my clubs fly free on Delta and American, so it's hard to justify paying to ship them. I'm on Club Glove #3 in a five year span due to abuse from the airline luggage handlers.

• 2 weeks later...

When I travel with clubs I zip tie or rubber band 2-3 clubs together for extra reinforcement should the bag be exposed to pressure from other luggage or TSA/baggage carelessness. Individual clubs are less prone to breaking this way. TSA isn't going to remove those clubs from your bag if they're tied together at the hosel because it's pretty difficult to get them in/out of the bag.

I've been flying with clubs for 20-30 times per year for over 15 years(free baggage with United). Lots of inspections and bag opening. 99% of the time out of Newark. Only one time that i can remember not being inspected with paper inside at Newark.

Only 1 issue in that time, they stole a kingsbarn goodie bag full of tees, ball markers and divot tools clipped on outside of bag but inside club glove. Couple of times a little late but always arrived before tee time.

Using same club glove I bought 15 years ago. Wrap clubs with golf towels and use large dowels or commercial length protector. Have top very of clubs very protected. And bag has extra pockets that carry shoes and extra clothes, towels, etc. So bag is really protected as well. Never have locked it. Had hard case long time ago and that was more problem than it was worth, often was left partially apart and other issues.

But I have used Shipsticks several times as well. And had one issue with them of bag arriving late after trip. Biggest issue for them is on side trips where I'm not going to a specific resort but like to Vegas where I'm playing 5-8 different courses and who to ship to. Hotels are usually low cost marriotts and finally ended up having them shipped to/from one of the Marriotts.

• 3 weeks later...

Flew to Chicago and back out of New Orleans this week to Harbor shores and a few other tracks and never had a TSA tag in any of my bags, guess I got lucky but they never touched anything.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

My clubs have now flown to 5 states and 7 European countries in the last year including repeated trips to Ireland and England and they've been searched every time as far as I can tell due to the large amount of TSA slips I have at the bottom of the bag. Nothing stolen, no damage. I think I can conservatively say that over the course of the last 18 years that I've been traveling for work that my clubs have flown over 1,000,000 miles since I'm at about 5 times that and they've been with me at least 20% of the time. We're talking about 30+ states and 27 different countries where I've played golf during this time. Again, no damage, nothing stolen and in all that time only once were they late enough I had to rent clubs. I realize it goes wrong for some people but I've apparently been extraordinarily lucky. Still just use a Club Glove (number 4 at this point) and a Stiff Arm but there was a period of about 3 years where I didn't even bother with the Stiff Arm.

I flew to England yesterday so I just opened up my clubs to make sure that any bold statement above was still true (and, yes it is 4:04 am here). :)

I have had my bag rifled through by TSA. I take the heads of my woods off and wrap them well and put them in a pocket. When trip I found my driver head unwrapped and just tossed lovely back in my travel cover. It was thrashed.

Now I carry on on wood heads.

• 2 years later...

I tried carrying my wood heads on my carry on bag last week through the Myrtle Beach airport. TSA stopped me in the security line to inspect my back pack and said they don't allow golf clubs to be carried on... I had to go back to the ticketing desk and have one of the works go into the back where my bag was and have them put the heads into my Club glove bag... what the hell? How come just the heads can't be carried on?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

I tried carrying my wood heads on my carry on bag last week through the Myrtle Beach airport. TSA stopped me in the security line to inspect my back pack and said they don't allow golf clubs to be carried on... I had to go back to the ticketing desk and have one of the works go into the back where my bag was and have them put the heads into my Club glove bag... what the hell? How come just the heads can't be carried on?

I'm flying out tomorrow. As of right now I have the heads in my carry-on. I suppose I'll ask before checking them. I dislike flying, but I'm more nervous if my bag gets to my destination with the contents unharmed. I have enough room for my divot tool, ball marker and a few select tee's as well as my rickety GPS and rangefinder in my personal bag.

I flew last week without issue with my heads in my carryon (PVD to SLC and back - wasn't even inspected) and my clubs have traveled quite a bit. If I ever got challenged, I'd explain to them it's not a golf club. It's just a part of a club, not the entire club and yes, I know that the rule says entire clubs are not allowed. I know, it's logic, but being calm and reasonable is the best I can do. :)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I always put my wood heads and gps in my carry on. Never had a problem. It’s odd that in myrtle beach, prob has some of the highest golf bag traffic in the country, they chose to give you a hard time. That would really pisss me off. Especially if your bag had already been taken out on the ramp and they gave you the whole, “they will be waiting for you when you get back” or “either give them to someone who can ship them to you or we are throwing them away” business.

Obviously those tsa workers were not golfers! Lol