Hogan Swing - Why?

Hstead

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1393604665' post='8765116']
Get the stapler out.
[/quote]

get a couple staples...because we'll have to push them staples through some thick skulls.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

No. Some have already moved beyond the need for validation...as to why not.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1395945660' post='8963061']
[/quote]

Damn!

Hey hey Mad your WITB is quite sexy!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1395945730' post='8963075']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1395945660' post='8963061']
[/quote]

Damn!

Hey hey Mad your WITB is quite sexy!
[/quote]

That poor bag doesn't deserve the owner it has, but thank you for saying so. I am liking that iron setup you have - very creative. Excellent choice on the Wishon driver too, btw. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1393206937' post='8731394']
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of hearing "but Hogan did it this way"? Every teacher seems to know "the secret" yet every teacher has a different interpretation of what Hogan did.

[b]Plus, Hogan couldn't beat Nelson before he retired.[/b] Hogan said Mickey Wright had the best swing he had ever seen. Hogan also liked Sneads swing. [b]Hogan wasn't as good as Jack[/b], yet we never hear "but Jack did it this way".

I just thought I would start this thread and see if anyone else is bored and tired with the Hogan stuff. Why someone would think that everyone should swing like a 5'8" man with long arms is beyond me. Flame suit on.
[/quote]
True, but Hogan didn't come into his own until the mid to late 40's. By his own admission, he was a terrible golfer early in his career. I'm not so sure Hogan's records would have been tarnished had Nelson delayed his ambitions of being a farmer.

In reference to Hogan not being as good as Jack, the numbers would agree with you, but numbers don't tell the whole story. Hogan won majors after a life threatening car accident and surgery to avoid blood clots from entering his heart. This surgery left him in constant pain and nearly blind in his left eye. He was a much better putter, and player, before the accident. He played the game closer to perfection than any other person has. Had their been no accident, I think the records would have been in favour of Hogan, especially considering the fact that Hogan's life was dedicated to his golf game. Nicklaus was devoted to his kids and wife first and foremost. Some of what I've said is hypothetical, but I do believe Hogan was the more talented player. Just consider the fact that an old Hogan played even with a young Jack at Cherry Hills at the Open in '62.

While a lot about Hogan is amplified by his "mystique", he truly was a one of a kind player, and had a personality that was unique to professional golfers at the time: "introverted".

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1396005381' post='8967281']
Do you think Hogan in his prime wins or Nicklaus in his prime wins?
[/quote]

Nicklaus. Better putter.

Nicklaus has a much bigger advantage over Hogan with the flatstick than Hogan had over Jack with ballstriking.

Push....as far as the chipping and pitching games go.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1396008024' post='8967389']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1396005381' post='8967281']
Do you think Hogan in his prime wins or Nicklaus in his prime wins?
[/quote]

Nicklaus. Better putter.

Nicklaus has a much bigger advantage over Hogan with the flatstick than Hogan had over Jack with ballstriking.

Push....as far as the chipping and pitching games go.
[/quote]

I'm not even sure hogan had much of an advantage over nicklaus in ballstriking. Nicklaus couldn't have been too bad with his irons and driver....he supposedly was the longest and straightest driver out there..and we know about his long irons. So on the longest holes Nicklaus has an advantage and the shorter holes Nicklaus would just hit a 3 wood or 2 i past hogan's driver and pop something on the green 20 or so feet from the hole and knock in his share of putts. Def makes one think though.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

I don't think the majority of golfers would benefits from doing some of the things Hogan did in his swing, unless they also fight a snap hook. I think the important lesson from Hogan is to work hard on your craft if you want to succeed, and that applies to anything in life.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I think it was Player who just said the other day on golf channel that Hogan was the greatest PLAYER (maybe it was "golfer") he ever played with. I think it was in conjunction with the new hall of fame stuff.

I was shocked that he said player and not ball striker. He had every opportunity to say Nicklaus... How about those apples beanerschnitzel?

This is one of the funniest discussions I've read in a while!

Most good players naturally draw/hook the ball. I sense that most of the Hogan detractors here don't turn it right-to-left.

If they did, they'd appreciate the genius of what Hogan did - creating a hookers swing with anti-hook safeguards.

Good players appreciate that!

Hogan was very athletic, and was also one of the longest hitters.

For those who say he was 5'8" and small by today's standards ----- how tall do you think Rory McIllroy is?

He's 5'8" and one of the longest hitters!

He also has a fast rotational swing closer to Hogan than most other modern power hitters.

I'm 6'1" with 6'3" wingspan.

I come from a baseball background and am flexible, strong, and quick.

I used to fight a hook, but don't now because of Hogan swing principles.

That's why I love Hogans swing and constantly try to discover every detail of his technique.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1396060643' post='8972657']
This is one of the funniest discussions I've read in a while!

Most good players naturally draw/hook the ball. I sense that most of the Hogan detractors here don't turn it right-to-left.

If they did, they'd appreciate the genius of what Hogan did - creating a hookers swing with anti-hook safeguards.

Good players appreciate that!

Hogan was very athletic, and was also one of the longest hitters.

For those who say he was 5'8" and small by today's standards ----- how tall do you think Rory McIllroy is?

He's 5'8" and one of the longest hitters!

He also has a fast rotational swing closer to Hogan than most other modern power hitters.

I'm 6'1" with 6'3" wingspan.

I come from a baseball background and am flexible, strong, and quick.

I used to fight a hook, but don't now because of Hogan swing principles.

That's why I love Hogans swing and constantly try to discover every detail of his technique.

Texsport
[/quote]

Tex, your assumptions would be wrong. I am not the best player but I would say most would consider me a good player, close to scratch right now. I have fought a hook my entire life. I now fade the ball, doing nothing at all like Hogan. Thank goodness my golf teacher has advised me to avoid trying to swing like Hogan at all costs. I too played baseball and had an opportunity to play professional out if high school but passed it up to play running back in college. I would say I was strong, fast, and quick too.

Hogans swing is not for everyone. How many Tour pros swing like Hogan? How many do not? How many of the guys that do not swing like Hogan would be on Tour if they were chasing Hogans swing?

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Since every person is different, every golf swing that is best for each person is different.

I didn't say to swing like Hogan. I said to learn what he was doing.

One of the key aspects of Hogans swing was arm to body connection, an almost universally taught basic.

Golf during Hogan's era was completely different from today. The premium being on accuracy then, because the ball didn't go nearly as far as it goes today.

Today's pro game is about power, but 99.99999% of today's amateurs can never hit it 350 yds, but they can hit it straighter.

Straight and consistent was Hogan's game, and is what amateurs aren't.

99.99999% of amateurs would score better if they learned to hit it straight like Hogan and let today's hot equipment furnish extra distance.

That being said, some anatomical, musculature types of players cannot use Hogans methods.

They must find what matches their physique.

Implying that using Hogans methods can't get you to the Tour would be very incorrect. (Duffer, Z Johnson, j Byrd, J Sluman, C Strange, H Sutton,etc,etc)

Don't forget the LPGA players, many of whom use Hoganesque swings.

The grip it and rip it game is only for players with superior golf abilities - not average players, so, from there a Hogan based swing might make more sense.

Every pro I know and play golf with says they don't care how far they hit it. They want directional control. If you have to hit it further, they'll take more club. The PGA Tour often plays courses over 7,500 yards. 99.99999% of amateurs can't handle that distance no matter what, and don't play such courses.

So why try to swing like players playing 7,500 yd courses?

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1396094846' post='8973849']
Since every person is different, every golf swing that is best for each person is different.

One of the key aspects of Hogans swing was arm to body connection, an almost universally taught basic.

Golf during Hogan's era was completely different from today. The premium being on accuracy then, because the ball didn't go nearly as far as it goes today.

Today's pro game is about power, but 99.99999% of today's amateurs can never hit it 350 yds, but they can hit it straighter.

99.99999% of amateurs would score better if they learned to hit it straight like Hogan and let today's hot equipment furnish extra distance.

That being said, some anatomical, musculature types of players cannot use Hogans methods.

Implying that using Hogans methods can't get you to the Tour would be very incorrect. (Duffer, Z Johnson, j Byrd, J Sluman, C Strange, H Sutton,etc,etc)

The grip it and rip it game is only for players with superior golf abilities - not average players, so, from there a Hogan based swing might make more sense.

Every pro I know and play golf with says they don't care how far they hit it. They want directional control. If you have to hit it further, they'll take more club. The PGA Tour often plays courses over 7,500 yards. 99.99999% of amateurs can't handle that distance no matter what, and don't play such courses.

Texsport
[/quote]
Thats a great collection of terrible generalizations...

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1396096437' post='8973911']
[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1396094846' post='8973849']

Texsport
[/quote]
Thats a great collection of terrible generalizations...
[/quote]

Here's a specific fact of interest for 'ya!

Dispute the ball going. 20-30 yards longer, club heads and shafts offering "great improvements", course conditioning improved to near perfect, and launch monitors supplying constant feedback -----the average scores by golfers hasn't improved in decades!

Seems to that when equipment and monitoring has dramatically improved, but scoring hasn't ---- there's a problem with modern swing theory!

What other excuse is there?

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

@Tex - by the same logic - How has the Five Fundamentals booked worked out for the average golfer? It has been in print now for 60 years or so. I would say for most that book is a fail.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

Hstead

I have a soft spot for hogan as he has ways been my inspiration since discovering golf. And I believe the 5 lessons is not the failure, and the lack of effort in this society is the reason this book nod most other instructions do not accelerate learning for the average golfers.

Ping G30 Sl-Tec
TM R11 PW-4I
Scor 52-56
Odyssey Versa 7

[quote name='Timanator' timestamp='1396226516' post='8983153']
Hstead

I have a soft spot for hogan as he has ways been my inspiration since discovering golf. And I believe the 5 lessons is not the failure, and the lack of effort in this society is the reason this book nod most other instructions do not accelerate learning for the average golfers.
[/quote]

Trust me, I love to watch Hogan swing. But, I think his description of the grip with the V's pointing at the nose etc are not a good idea for 98% of the golfing population.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

Agree with the grip thing hstead. But he does say it's his personal modification though doesn't he? Would make sense with his hook tendencies.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='Timanator' timestamp='1396226516' post='8983153']
Hstead

[/quote]

Partially. The swing takes several months of intensive work to groove its fundamentals. Another big problem is that it involves an athletic motion that is unfamiliar to many people, and it is unforgiving of the club being out of position on the downswing. So it is swing that you really need to learn under the watchful of a pro....rather than trying to learn on your own.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='Golfah' timestamp='1393213784' post='8732204']
I'm 5'7", 155 with a 6-foot wingspan. I'm relatively flexible, strong, and coordinated, but nowhere near the traditional body size for competitive sports. When I was younger, it was an inspiration to me that a man that measured almost exactly my height, weight and build was able to compete in an athletic sport at the highest level. I don't set out to make a "copy" Hogan swing, but when I look at Hogan pictures/videos, I can emulate/relate to the static positions because the dimensions and look of his body is a perfect match, so I tend to use him a lot as a model. I used to have instructional books by Faldo, Els, etc. and I could not figure out at all what they were doing before I realized the obvious: the positions a 6'4" golfer is getting into look vastly different than me.
[/quote]

Similar here - I'm 5' 8 1/2" with a 6-foot wingspan like my dad. Our family doctor would joke with us that we had monkey arms. I look at various golfer's swings who have similar builds, including Hogan. I'm not trying to emulate anyone by cloning their swing perfectly, but the best way to learn any sport is by watching others and let the body do what it does naturally without too much thought interference. My body will decide what it is capable of doing, my mind can't change that unless I want to hurt myself in the long term.

Thats why kids pick up sports so easily - they just watch, mimic and make adjustments for themselves - no different than learning to walk.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1396878680' post='9037513']
Its all about the rates of different pieces. You guys worried about a look or a ballflight?

Blaming physique for failure is a copout in my opinion.
[/quote]

ballflight first...looks....that's more like 8th on the list.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Question for you Hogan analysts: I've watched dozens of Hogan videos. It occured to me that his incredible core, hips and torso turn through the ball caused his right foot to rise up rather than his foot being "kicked" towards the target and eventually dragged left. Is this the right cause and effect?

The reason I ask is that I had an argument with a Ballard devotee and he is adamant that Hogan began his downswing with a kick of the right foot. I think it moves the way it did as a result of the hard recoil of his lower body action.