2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Is Sherwood Country Club Worth It?

Mikey Town

Hi all,

I'm debating playing Sherwood CC at the end of March via the Mastercard Priceless program.

The deal looks pretty cool. You get a short clinic with Curtis Strange, a round of golf, lunch and a reception dinner afterwards. The cost is $300. Here is the link, in case anyone else is interested: https://www.priceles...iew=&cid=179524

The thing is, while I enjoyed watching Tiger's tournament for last few years, I don't know much about the course. I've never been out there to watch the tournament, either, so that doesn't help.

If this was another Riviera deal that they were doing, I'd already be signed up. I hope they do that one again, but it isn't posted on the website yet.

For those of you who have been to, or have been able to play, Sherwood CC, I would like to hear your thoughts. While it sounds like a fun time, this has never been one of my "dream courses," so I'm not sure which way to go.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the round of golf like. Shotgun start in carts with foursomes of strangers? Play your own ball or some kind of scramble?

I'd have to ask myself if the round of golf is worth, I dunno, maybe $280 or so. Because listening to Curtis for an hour and eating a rubber-chicken dinner at some country-club clubhouse doesn't have a whole lot of value to me personally.

Sherwood Country Club isn't really on my list of places to blow 300 bucks on a round of golf. And that's assuming I could actually walk and play my own ball, which is unlikely in this "deal".

It will be a foursome of strangers, most likely in carts, but you play your own ball. I think there is a 4-man best ball competition that they hand out awards for.

I'm sure I could escape the cart and walk a decent amount of the course, assuming that I'm hitting it straighter than my cart buddy that day.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The question that nobody but you can answer is how much is $300 worth to you? If it's the only round of golf you'll play all year because of the price, then of course, no, it's not worth it. If it's the same price as the oil change on your Maserati, then obviously it's worth it.

Is $300 worth it to play a course that you would otherwise not get a chance to play? It's a beautiful course in a beautiful setting but it's a country club. It's not Pebble or Bandon or Whistling. It's a beautiful course and a high end country club in an absolute gorgeous setting.

My father did a lot of the environmental work on the course during the construction so I've been fortunate to play it a few times over the years. I love it but for what it is - a really nice course, manicured and in great shape in a really private country club I'll never belong to. If you go in thinking it's the holy grail of golf, you'll be disappointed. If you go in thinking you're a member for a day for $300 - that's kinda cool.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

[quote name='FyteOn' timestamp='1393453421' post='8752418']
The question that nobody but you can answer is how much is $300 worth to you? If it's the only round of golf you'll play all year because of the price, then of course, no, it's not worth it. If it's the same price as the oil change on your Maserati, then obviously it's worth it.

Is $300 worth it to play a course that you would otherwise not get a chance to play? It's a beautiful course in a beautiful setting but it's a country club. It's not Pebble or Bandon or Whistling. It's a beautiful course and a high end country club in an absolute gorgeous setting.

My father did a lot of the environmental work on the course during the construction so I've been fortunate to play it a few times over the years. I love it but for what it is - a really nice course, manicured and in great shape in a really private country club I'll never belong to. If you go in thinking it's the holy grail of golf, you'll be disappointed. If you go in thinking you're a member for a day for $300 - that's kinda cool.
[/quote]

Great perspective, and I totally agree!
I did something similar with a friend over at Plainfield CC this past fall. There wasn't a pro that I was going to meet.

In my opinion, $300 is fair should you want to play this course and experience Sherwood as a member for a day.

Thanks for the feedback so far... much appreciated.

I'm still on the fence, so we will see what happens as we get closer to the deadline.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[/quote]

Great post and perspective. People plunk down a lot more for equip they flip in less than a month so it's all about perspective and what you feel you get out of it. Of course, maybe many other members here, as well as myself, can say some of their fondest memories of golf was playing a particular course that they normally wouldn't be able to play. The years go by but the memories last forever..and when the topic of that course comes up, the heart warms up a bit and gives a satisfying couple beats of gratitude..

$300 bucks for Sherwood and get to hang with a two time US Open Champion.

I guess it really depends on what $300 means to you....but it sounds ok to me.

I love playing courses that the Pros play just so I have a better perspective the next time I watch on TV.

Riviera or Sherwood sound pretty good.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1393459624' post='8753146']
FyteOn is right on. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I played Sherwood (& Riviera) in 2006.

Liked Riviera more. Sherwood was the best smelling course I've ever played, because the flowers in full bloom.

For $300 I think you're getting a really good deal.
[/quote]

I've never heard anyone describe a course as 'best smelling'.

I'll bet Augusta National smells good in spring....but since I've been to The Masters several times and never noticed the smell - I guess the aroma isn't too important to me.

I'll bet many courses in New Jersey don't smell good.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[/quote]

Well put...I agree...life is short...live it up.

TM R1 Tp
Miura CB501's W/recoil proto's
Miura 52,56,60
Machine Damascus Steel

In the spring Augusta smells like, wisteria, cigars, suntan lotion, cut grass, and good smelling cougars. In all seriousness that sounds like a good deal. Think about it this way. Sherwood, while not a design masterpiece, is a popular/posh place folks play and a place where Zach holes shots from all over.

You get to hang out with a two time U.S. Open Champion and Ryder Cup captain who will be on his best behavior that day too. Not like the time he lectured me when I was twelve for asking for his autograph after he got done playinga rough round at the TPC. He will be knowledgeable and helpful and nice.

I dont know if they in fact serve rubber chicken but I bet they have some expensive condiments that go with it!

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1393463646' post='8753682']
[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1393459624' post='8753146']
FyteOn is right on. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I played Sherwood (& Riviera) in 2006.

Liked Riviera more. Sherwood was the best smelling course I've ever played, because the flowers in full bloom.

For $300 I think you're getting a really good deal.
[/quote]

I've never heard anyone describe a course as 'best smelling'.

I'll bet Augusta National smells good in spring....but since I've been to The Masters several times and never noticed the smell - I guess the aroma isn't too important to me.

I'll bet many courses in New Jersey don't smell good.
[/quote]

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

I agree that life is short and living it up is good (if you've got live it up money). But to me a large-group commercial outing at a ritzy, private but otherwise fairly mundane golf course is not "living it up". Playing a great golf course is worth a bunch of money. Playing a good golf course under the right conditions can be worth a fair bit of money. This deal doesn't sound like either of those, to me.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1393529048' post='8759252']
I agree that life is short and living it up is good (if you've got live it up money). But to me a large-group commercial outing at a ritzy, private but otherwise fairly mundane golf course is not "living it up". Playing a great golf course is worth a bunch of money. Playing a good golf course under the right conditions can be worth a fair bit of money. This deal doesn't sound like either of those, to me.
[/quote]

Not trying to be argumentative, just more curious. What's the difference between a "large-group commercial outing" and showing up as a single on a sold out day? I get the other arguments although given in-season rates in Scottsdale, $300 for Sherwood without the extras isn't outrageous.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

I think it would be very much like showing up as a single and being sent out in carts with three strangers for a 5-1/2 hour slog on a busy day. Honestly, there aren't any courses in the world that I'd pay $300 for that kind of experience.

My point is, a nice but nothing special good course (which I think Sherwood probably is) in the company of a couple good friends on a day when it's not crowded can be something special. Now is it $300 special? That's a close call. But special enough to make it tempting.

Sitting in carts on a packed course is about as un-special as it gets for me. The course would have to be all-world class to even entertain the idea. For me.

I put zero value on having played a golf course. Don't care if you're talking Augusta National or Seminole or The Old Course itself. Just to say I've been there is not worth spending money on (again, for me). It's all about how much I'm going to enjoy my round during the time I'm there. And crowds, carts, slow play (the unholy trinity of golf-course buzzkills) trumps conditioning or exclusiveness or been-on-TV-ness every time. I've got to have a lot of fun for 300 bucks. And it's got to be pretty much a sure thing.

Fair enough. All good points. Although I think you're underappreciating how nice Sherwood is. it's far above a "nothing special good course." FWIW, Golf Digest has it as the 19th best course in the state ahead of Torrey South, Bel Air, Vintage, and some other pretty nice courses.

I'm definitely with you on the time. Although is someone put me on the 1st tee at Augusta and said "You can play but it's going to be a 6 hour round," I'm certainly not heading back to the car...

As with my original post, it's such a subjective thing, it's impossible to put a "value" on the experience. However, if you're going to do it, you have to go in with the understanding of the what you're getting into or you'll likely be disappointed.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

I've wasted more on tight blackjack and cheap hookers. Cross it off your "I played [i] another[/i] Tour course" bucket list.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I come from a part of the country where only a handful of courses in the state would cost $300 for a round, if that. Saying it's not a great enough course to justify a $300 green fee is hardly "poo pooing" it. Living in South Carolina I consider that price range to be "Ocean Course money", just for perspective.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1393552562' post='8762098']
I come from a part of the country where only a handful of courses in the state would cost $300 for a round, if that. Saying it's not a great enough course to justify a $300 green fee is hardly "poo pooing" it. Living in South Carolina I consider that price range to be "Ocean Course money", just for perspective.
[/quote]
And I don't think you are wrong. I think that Sherwood is on that level of experience.

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in Corona, ca are you a member of the SCGA? If so they do an outing every year to Sherwood and a couple of other CC in the So Cal area. I think Bighorn is on the list this year as well as Valencia CC.

I have played Sherwood and while it is a nice course, for me, wouldn't be worth $300 to play it. Of course I was fortunate enough to play for free. I think the draw is more because of how exclusive it is. I think with the SCGA is it like $250.

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

Sherwood is certainly no Riv, but it's very good, and it's a fun golf course. Quite a few memorable holes and very exclusive (like you may never get another chance to play it again exclusive). You won't play many courses as good and exclusive for 3 bills I assure you. Best men's locker room I've been in...truly outstanding. If you can show up early, get the breakfast burrito and a bloody mary and stay late for beers and a shoe shine. Might even see Gretzky or Will Smith or Pete Sampras...

Point is, you could spend more money hanging out a much worse places.

[quote name='UGABMC398' timestamp='1393553001' post='8762136']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1393552562' post='8762098']
[/quote]
And I don't think you are wrong. I think that Sherwood is on that level of experience.
[/quote]
I'm in agreement. Sherwood is much better than some of these comments would suggest. Again, it's no Riviera or Long Cove in SC, but it's a great golf experience. Certainly not one I would pass on for $300 with nothing better on the table.

[quote name='jasman29' timestamp='1394494384' post='8843007']
If you live in Corona, ca are you a member of the SCGA? If so they do an outing every year to Sherwood and a couple of other CC in the So Cal area. I think Bighorn is on the list this year as well as Valencia CC.

I have played Sherwood and while it is a nice course, for me, wouldn't be worth $300 to play it. Of course I was fortunate enough to play for free. I think the draw is more because of how exclusive it is. I think with the SCGA is it like $250.
[/quote]

Sherwood CC is not on the SCGA list of member outings every year. It first appeared last year and the sign up for it was botched so bad by the SCGA that they ended up calling people through a lottery system only 100 spots. They felt so bad they are offering it again his year and there are only a few more spots remaining at $285 for the round July 14..

Personally.. I would pay the $ to play it. One of my friend's uncle was the President of the club last year and mentioned the guest fee was in the $200's. That said, if you're invited to play Sherwood, I highly doubt the member inviting you is going to ask you to pay. The club house is insane, I was lucky enough to join my friend's uncle in the members area during the Tiger tournament. We were surrounded by celebrities who were members, and other people looking at us like WTF are you guys doing in this section?! Paulina was also sitting at our table (friends with my friend's cousin) and she was quite distracting to say the least.

Golf in SoCal at any decent track is $100+, private clubs $150-250 guest fee if you get invited.. to me, this seems like a no brainer although it would be cool if you went with someone you knew.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I assume you are a young guy and $300 is a significant amount. However, if you can afford it and the amount is within your range, I say go. These outings let you meet other people who you might form friendships with or be able to network future employments.

You will find more connected and well heeled people at these type of events. I would look at it as an opportunity.

I have played Sherwood. I think it's worth the money once especially if you don't live in Los Angeles. I say it's worth it because 300 is what your gonna pay to play a nice resort course. Judging on par with other resort courses it's great. They keep it in great condition. Wether your a fan of the design is going to be personal opinion. Keep one thing in mind. Sherwood is very nice but it's not a top 50 course in the US. If you give it reasonable expectations then you will most likely have a wonderful time. Don't expect it to be Riveria.

917 D2 Speeder Evo 661
TM 2017 M2 3wHL AD-DI7
816 H1 3HY Fuji Pro
716 T-MB 4-AW KBS Tour-V 120
Vokey SM6 55-10S & 60-04L
Edel Putter

• 1 month later...

I am a member at both Riviera and Sherwood CC. Riviera is a classic golf course with obviously a lot of history. Sherwood is a modern design but retains some classic feel to it. I would say year round Sherwood is in better shape. I would imagine you would have a great experience at this outing and 300 is rather low since our unaccompanied guest rate is 330 plus caddy fees. The food is also better at Sherwood, no rubber chicken for sure. I promise.