The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee - 20 GolfWRXers. 4 Locations. Details here!

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 9.2[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: San Diego, CA[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: My current driver is so much of a magic club that it would take nothing short of a miracle to get it out of the bag. I have a hard time believing that the performance gains could be great enough to warrant a change of clubs especially with a price tag like the SLDR[/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: [/size]Ping i20 8.5° (Shaft: Dynamic Gold X100, Tipped 2.75" Play length 44.25")
[/list]

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handicap +0.3
Location San Diego Ca
Reason I should attend is because I am one one the most anti TMAG people on the planet I really don't like the fact a new driver comes out every 2 months. The last time I hit a TMAG club was the Superdeep. I think all the changes are just gimmicks. If they are really longer why is it that the TMAG Pros haven't increased their average driving distance.
Current Set up Titleist 913D3 7.5 with Aldila Trinity 65 TX tipped 1" Set to B1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* set to 8* UST Mamiya LINQ Purple 7F5
Callaway Epic Flash 15* set to 14* UST V2 Tour 8F5
Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 18* UST Recoil Prototype 110F5 2* Flat
Srixon 785/Z Forged DGTI X100 2* Flat
Vokey SM8 Black 50/56/62 DGTI Onyx X100/S400 2* Flat
EVNROLL ER7/Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback both have Stability Shafts and P2 Aware Tour Grips
Snell MTB-X

Handicap : 3
Reason: high spin low launch player and have a hard time thinking low and forward COG will lower my rate and optimize launch conditions. Also, a complete about face in design vs. the previous years/decades of research has me thinking marketing ploy to up sales and profit. Have not found any new technology to beat the feel and real world numbers/performance of my setup. Have been very anti TMAG since broke my R7 460 TP and did not like performance of new models.
Setup: Adams Speedline 9032LS 9.5 Aldila Voodoo XNV6

Handicap 10
Reason: I have a hard time believing that lofting up and hitting the ball higher is beneficial for me when it is always windy here and the fairways are firm and fast. Prove me wrong!
Current setup: Callaway X Hot Pro 9.5 w/Motore 6.3 Stiff @ 44.75

Callaway Maverik SZ

Taylor Made Original One

Adams a12 16 *

Titleist 816 23*

Miura cb1008/2008 combo

Miura 52

Callaway 58

???flatstick

[list]
[*]Handicap: 5.6
[*]Location: Carlsbad (coming from Des Moines, IA)
[*]Reason why you should attend:I believe that "technology" in drivers offers marginal benefits at best, given most amateur golfer's swing-to-swing inconsistencies. Also, while I do play a TM driver, I believe some of TM's recent distance claims are borne from the fact that they keep putting longer and longer shafts in their drivers. I swapped in a 44.5 inch shaft on my RBZ Stage 2, so I would want to compare like-lengths when using the SLDR. I believe such a test would benefit a lot of GOLFWRX members who don't like the unwieldy 45.5 and 46 inch shafts.
[*]Current driver set-up: RBZ Stage 2 10.5 Aldila Rip Beta 60 Stiff 44.5 inches
[/list]

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 

4w - Callaway Rogue ST Max

3H - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

4U - Hogan UiHi

5-PW - Hogan PTx Pro/Icon Combo

50F, 54D, 58D - Vokey SM9

Putter - Evnroll ER1 Blade

Handicap: 18
Reason why you should attend: Never played a TM driver. Compared the R11S to my driver at the time, but the nike I played at the time was almost dead even. I'm at a point with my bag where I'm ready to try something new across the board, and welcome to any changes.
Current driver set-up: Nike Covert 1.0 70 g stiff Kuro Kage

Handicap 5

I don't want to go, I cannot stand TM drivers, never liked one, never gamed one. All their marketing makes me ill to watch.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[list]
[*][size=4][b]Handicap[/b]: 8.3[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Durham, NC[/size]
[*][size=4][b]Reason why you should attend[/b]: Years ago, I moved from a Burner to a Titleist 910[/size] and I've never looked back to TM since. Yesterday, I had the chance to try my playing partner's brand new SLRD 430. On the 15th hole, I put a great swing on both my current driver and the SLDR. Both ended up in line with each other in the fairway, but my current driver proved about 5 yards longer. Granted, it was one swing and not statistically significant, and the SLDR in question was in no way fit for me. I suspect with a proper fitting, I may see a slight improvment in distance. However, I worry about the loss in forgiveness on heel/toe shots with the CoG so far forward, as evidenced by the fact that the only fairway the SLDR hit yesterday was the one time I borrowed his club. With my current Ping, even my misses are generally playable. I get the idea of the club, I just don't get how you keep the forgiveness with this design. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong though!
[*][b][size=4]Current driver set-up[/size][/b]: Ping Anser 9.5* set to 10*, with stock stiff Ahina
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 3
[*]Location: Sherwood, Oregon.
[*]Reason why you should attend: I'm a NIKE guy, and I believe in the technology in their drivers more than the SLDR. Covert>SLDR. I have a very high ss, around 125 and the Covert was the one driver able to bring my spin down, keeping my launch ideal. Wasn't able to try a lot of shaft offerings with every driver, but the Covert won. Prove me wrong, TMAG. I'd love to be proved wrong, just don't see it happening.
[*]Current driver set-up: NIKE CT 2.0 w/ Whiteboard 73x
[/list]

[b]HANDICAP[/b][color=#282828]: 19[/color]
[b]LOCATION:[/b][color=#282828] Brownsville, TX[/color]
[b]REASON[/b][color=#282828]: The reason I should attend is so we can test the forgiveness of the SLDR on a 15+ handicap![/color]
[b]CURRENT SET UP[/b][color=#282828]: 45" 9.5* Titleist 910 D2 Project X-7C3 73g Stiff 6.0[/color]

Handicap: 4

Reason why you should attend: I'm skeptical of not only the distance claim, but also forgiveness of the SLDR. What good is ten more yards if it's OB, or even worse. Loss of distance on less than perfect shots but still in the trees. I love the looks of the club, but I believe clubs are more hype than results these days. If I'm wrong, I'll shout the SLDR's praises from the rooftops and all over the web.

Current driver set-up: Back and forth between Adams Launch Lab with black tie 6M3 stiff and a TM R1 with ahina 60 stiff.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

[b]Handicap:[/b] +3.5
[b]Location[/b]: Houston so Dallas would be the best
[b]Reason I should attend[/b]: As someone that can already produce a high launch low spin ball flight, I don't see the benefit of going to a head that forces me to play a higher loft which would lose ball speed. I also feel like the super low spin, 17/1700 ball flight is something that sounds good in theory but on the course my eye doesn't like how the flight looks.
[b]Current Set-up[/b]: Callaway RAZR Fit 8.5 w/ Ahina 70X

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1395398741' post='8916583']
Today, TaylorMade Golf launched its SLDR Guarantee campaign nationwide. If you buy the SLDR Driver anytime today through June and you don’t love the new distance, TaylorMade will give you your money back. You can't really beat that.....or can you?

TaylorMade knows that GolfWRX members are different. You want to see through the marketing. You analyze every inch of every club. You want to know the full tech story behind everything. Some of you have tried the SLDR and love it. Some like it. [u]This event is not for you.[/u] Watch this short video for the full message for us from TaylorMade's Tom Kroll.

TaylorMade wants GolfWRX members who are skeptics, the non-believes and the doubters of low, forward CG design that powers the SLDR driver to take this challenge. 20 GolfWRX members will be flown to 4 different TaylorMade Performance Labs across the country. Each will be fit for SLDR and test their driver head-to-head with TaylorMade's flagship big stick.

[color=#b22222][b]LOCATIONS[/b][/color][list]
[*]The Jim Flick Kingdom, Carlsbad, CA
[*]TMPL at Gleneagles, near Dallas, TX
[*]TMPL at TPC Sawgrass, near Jacksonville, FL
[*]The Kingdom at Reynolds, near Atlanta, GA
[/list]
[color=#b22222][b]DATE[/b][/color]
April 4, 2014 - Look for the LIVE thread
[size=2](trip will be April 3-5 for attendees and include a round of golf as well)[/size]

How will they ensure the results are fair? Data. Cold hard numbers. Launch monitors will be used in each location to ensure similar swings and prevent sandbagging. GolfWRX will have reps at each location and we'll cover it live for you.

[color=#b22222][b]THE WRINKLE[/b][/color]
There is an extra wrinkle to this challenge coming soon. Attendees will find out soon enough so stay tuned.

[color=#b22222][b]THE ATTENDEES[/b][/color]
When you're looking for skeptics, it's hard to post and trip thread and get pure honesty. What about those who just want a free trip? In order to prevent that, we're sending out invites to 15 members via PM today who have previous posted their doubts and criticisms about SLDR. They'll be announced soon.

[color=#b22222][b]5 SPOTS OPEN (HOW TO ENTER)[/b][/color]
Having said that, we also believe the general membership should have a chance to attend, provided they are a skeptic, doubter or hater. So do you want to attend? Do you doubt the SLDR technology? Enter below. Give us your best reasons why you think you should attend (no lying!) and we'll pick 5 shortly.[list]
[*]Handicap:
[*]Location:
[*]Reason why you should attend:
[*]Current driver set-up:
[/list]
GO!
[/quote]

Handicap: 5
Reason why I should go: I have had "fittings" for a SLDR before... each time, the fitter starts out by grabbing me lower lofted head than my current driver!! If the entire purpose of this thing is to "loft up", then why isnt anyone lofting me up!? If the thought is that my current driver launches too high, well Callaway, Ping, and Titlelist put me into 9.5 or 10.5 lofts, launching me around 12-13 (i cant get the exact launch every time.) Thing is, on Flightscope, trackman, whatever, I've gotten the same carry, and final distance compared to my club. So I want to go because I want to see a real fitter to see what the deal is up.
Current Driver Set up: Titleist 910d3 (set at D3, so loft at 10.25 deg and 1 notch closed) w/ Aldila RIP alpha at 45" and tipped 1/2 an inch...

[list]
[*]Handicap: 9
[*]Location: Open
[*][color="#282828"]Reason why you should attend: I currently game a R1TD5 shafted with a Miyazaki B. Asha 4 Regular tipped firm. I am the owner of a FlightScope X2 which gives me great insight about my swing and how the swing effects ball flight. I would enjoy the opportunity to see for myself that the SLDR is longer than my current Taylormade R1. I would purchase a SLDR if it is longer and consistent.[/color]
[*]Current driver set-up: Taylormade R1 TD5 Black.. Miyazaki B. Asha 4 Regular.
[/list]

Handicap: 6
Reason why you should attend: I actually like TM drivers. Currently playing an R1 - but no matter what I hit, spin way too high, launch way too high. After hitting through everything, this setup kinda fell into my lap, and while it's good, it could (and should) be better. I have no faith in adding more loft to my driver, regardless of how low the spin is supposed to be. Ain't gonna work.
Current driver set-up: TM R1 Kai'li 80X

Gainesville,Va

I found the right driver TM 10.5 Jetspeed with 72 grams stiff flex whiteboard

SLDR couldn't stop it from going left no matter what shaft I put in it

Taylormade M5 10* Tensi Blue 70s
Taylormade  M5 15* Tensi Blue 65s

Taylormade M5 18* Tensi Blue 65s
Taylormade 4-PW R9 TP 
Taylormade 54, 58 Milled grind 
Taylormade TP Ardmore
Taylormade TP5X

WITB Link

Well, I'm not entering this as I already own an SLDR and I want other members to experience a cool trip, but more than that I'm very curious to see what results they get after their fittings. Hopefully we get a nice range of HCPS and SS players picked. I'd love to see if the driver benefits or hurts specific types of players. Should be interesting.

Good luck and can't wait to see the results of this event (good, bad, or indifferent).

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

Handicap: 10
Reason: I used to balloon my RBZ and moved to Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme, and this thing is low spinning and long. Beat the R1 by a country mile. Also, hasn't Dustin Johnson been playing 10.5* since his R9? I know he played a 10.5* R9, and a 10.5* R1... so what's with all the loft up gimmicks?
Current driver set up: 10.5* Razr Fit Xtreme with 7M3 stiff

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

[quote name='dirtgrinder' timestamp='1395625472' post='8935219']
it appears that TM is scared of losing some market share this year to the other big three. I've heard of a lot of different marketing schemes This year I would be very interested in the TM Choose me as one of the contestants. I'm looking for a new driver with low spin this year.
[/quote]

I'm a 9* square face x tour stiff shaft. 120mph ss
Location Nebraska

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1395398741' post='8916583']
[size=4]Today, TaylorMade Golf launched its SLDR Guarantee campaign nationwide. If you buy the SLDR Driver anytime today through June and you don’t love the new distance, TaylorMade will give you your money back. You can't really beat that.....or can you?[/size]

[size=4]TaylorMade knows that GolfWRX members are different. You want to see through the marketing. You analyze every inch of every club. You want to know the full tech story behind everything. Some of you have tried the SLDR and love it. Some like it. [u]This event is not for you.[/u] Watch this short video for the full message for us from TaylorMade's Tom Kroll.[/size]
http://youtu.be/xZfgMsCbTp8
[size=4]TaylorMade wants GolfWRX members who are skeptics, the non-believes and the doubters of low, forward CG design that powers the SLDR driver to take this challenge. 20 GolfWRX members will be flown to 4 different TaylorMade Performance Labs across the country. Each will be fit for SLDR and test their driver head-to-head with TaylorMade's flagship big stick. [/size]

[color=#b22222][b][size=4]LOCATIONS[/size][/b][/color][list]
[*][size=4]The Jim Flick Kingdom, Carlsbad, CA[/size]
[*][size=4]TMPL at Gleneagles, near Dallas, TX[/size]
[*][size=4]TMPL at TPC Sawgrass, near Jacksonville, FL[/size]
[*][size=4]The Kingdom at Reynolds, near Atlanta, GA[/size]
[/list]
[size=4][color=#b22222][b]DATE[/b][/color]
[size=2](trip will be April 3-5 for attendees and include a round of golf as well)[/size][/size]

[size=4]How will they ensure the results are fair? Data. Cold hard numbers. Launch monitors will be used in each location to ensure similar swings and prevent sandbagging. GolfWRX will have reps at each location and we'll cover it live for you.

There is an extra wrinkle to this challenge coming soon. Attendees will find out soon enough so stay tuned.

When you're looking for skeptics, it's hard to post and trip thread and get pure honesty. What about those who just want a free trip? In order to prevent that, we're sending out invites to 15 members via PM today who have previous posted their doubts and criticisms about SLDR. They'll be announced soon.

Having said that, we also believe the general membership should have a chance to attend, provided they are a skeptic, doubter or hater. So do you want to attend? Do you doubt the SLDR technology? Enter below. Give us your best reasons why you think you should attend (no lying!) and we'll pick 5 shortly.[/size][list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: [/size]
[*][size=4]Location:[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:[/size]
[/list]
[size=4]GO! [/size]
[/quote][quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1395398741' post='8916583']
[size=4]Today, TaylorMade Golf launched its SLDR Guarantee campaign nationwide. If you buy the SLDR Driver anytime today through June and you don’t love the new distance, TaylorMade will give you your money back. You can't really beat that.....or can you?[/size]

[size=4]TaylorMade knows that GolfWRX members are different. You want to see through the marketing. You analyze every inch of every club. You want to know the full tech story behind everything. Some of you have tried the SLDR and love it. Some like it. [u]This event is not for you.[/u] Watch this short video for the full message for us from TaylorMade's Tom Kroll.[/size]
http://youtu.be/xZfgMsCbTp8
[size=4]TaylorMade wants GolfWRX members who are skeptics, the non-believes and the doubters of low, forward CG design that powers the SLDR driver to take this challenge. 20 GolfWRX members will be flown to 4 different TaylorMade Performance Labs across the country. Each will be fit for SLDR and test their driver head-to-head with TaylorMade's flagship big stick. [/size]

[color=#b22222][b][size=4]LOCATIONS[/size][/b][/color][list]
[*][size=4]The Jim Flick Kingdom, Carlsbad, CA[/size]
[*][size=4]TMPL at Gleneagles, near Dallas, TX[/size]
[*][size=4]TMPL at TPC Sawgrass, near Jacksonville, FL[/size]
[*][size=4]The Kingdom at Reynolds, near Atlanta, GA[/size]
[/list]
[size=4][color=#b22222][b]DATE[/b][/color]
[size=2](trip will be April 3-5 for attendees and include a round of golf as well)[/size][/size]

[size=4]How will they ensure the results are fair? Data. Cold hard numbers. Launch monitors will be used in each location to ensure similar swings and prevent sandbagging. GolfWRX will have reps at each location and we'll cover it live for you.

Having said that, we also believe the general membership should have a chance to attend, provided they are a skeptic, doubter or hater. So do you want to attend? Do you doubt the SLDR technology? Enter below. Give us your best reasons why you think you should attend (no lying!) and we'll pick 5 shortly.[/size][list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: [/size]
[*][size=4]Location:[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:[/size]
[/list]
[size=4]GO! [/size]
[/quote][quote name='epixep' timestamp='1395415313' post='8918133']
Great idea, and thanks for the opportunity.[list]
[*]Handicap: +0.3
[*]Location: Oklahoma City, OK
[*]Reason why you should attend: Simply put, I don't think the SLDR is forgiving enough compared to today's 913/G25 types. Taylormade is pushing low and forward CG to amateurs that really need shorter shafts and higher spin.
[*]Current driver set-up: 913D2 10.5 Aldila ATX Green 65 X tipped an inch
[/list]
[/quote]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: Scratch[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Las Vegas[/size], NV
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size]I have tried 2 Sldr's at two different times at the "New Special" Taylormade Fitting Center in Las Vegas on the Strip but they only have standard shafts, no shafts I would ever think of using and the sales guys there don't even pretend like they care.......I have a high spin problem hence, I was really looking forward to this club!
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Titleist 913 7.5 adj to 6.75 with a[/size] Graphite Design AD-BB 8s...
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 8
[*]Location: Premont, Texas
[*][color="#282828"]Reason why you should attend: Here why...I was in the golf business at a facility that hosted a PGA Tour event for about 5 year. During that time, I was able to purchase equipment from the coveted TMAG website that offers clubs at PUD. I have had Taylormade Clubs in my bag since 2005. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a "straight from the truck" into my bag tour issue r7. That by far was the best driver that I have ever hit. Then several years later, I bought into the whole high MOI talk and switched to a tour issue tour burner. Great driver. Then a few years ago I buy into the whole white head driver BS and buy a r11s...at full retail price because at this point in my life I no longer work in the golf business. I've had the driver for a couple of years and can't stand it. I've adjusted the hell out it and am at that point that I'm about to ditch the driver. The problem is that every few years, Taylormade, through its phenomenal marketing department, tries to sell the consumer the next best thing. I'm done blindly buying into the hype. If Taylormade can prove that they have a solid driver, then it'll go in my bag. If not, then I'll be ditching the r11s and throwing a Titleist in my bag. And before anyone comments about how I am no longer in the golf business and how my swing has probably suffered, you are probably right. But I still have a very solid golf game and just want a solid driver to go with it not matter what it says on the sole.[/color]
[*]Current driver set-up: retail 10 * r11s - TP Diamana ka'li Stiff Flex
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 13
[*]Location: Jacksonville, Florida
[*]Reason why you should attend: I should attend because I've been intrigued by the SLDR since its release, but have been skeptic about any real gains in distance. I want a driver that will give me more distance, and I mean [i]actually[/i] give me more distance. I've really started to overlook Taylormade the past year because of their rapid product releases. I worry that the technology isn't as good as their marketing. I would enjoy the opportunity to give this driver a fair shake while learning more about the technology and why it is supposedly better than the competition.
[*]Current driver set-up: Titleist 913 D2 9.5 with Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.2 Tour Spec Stiff.
[/list]

Whats in my B.A.G?
WITB Link