2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Walking in Chicago

Argonne69

No, not strolling down the lakefront, or down the Mag Mile. Figured we could use a thread to trade tips, tricks, horror stories, about trying to get some exercise out on the course.

I generally try to walk half my rounds or more. Having a bum knee since last Fall has skewed the numbers so far this year, but I just picked up a new ClicGear 8.0, and I'm hoping to start walking more.

I once tried walking at Water's Edge on a Sunday morning, and they flat out told me 'No'. No walking before X am. I insisted that I was going to walk, and they said "Fine, as long as you pay the cart fee". Let's face it, we know it's really about the profit from cart rental, and not about pace of play. Unless I'm playing with excellent players who really know how to use a cart, I often find myself standing on the green waiting for the so-called "faster" players in their carts.

Another pet peeve is courses that allow walking, but seem to go out of their way to discourage it. For example, while many courses use placards in the fairway to delineate the 'No Carts' area in front of the greens, why do some courses insist on string rope across the entire fairway? If you're going to use rope, at least leave an opening for golfers with pushcarts.

Another pet peeve is courses without walkways cut between the teebox and the fairway, and/or between the greens and the next teebox, e.g. Harborside. 'Nothing like pushing a cart through 8 inches of wet rough to get the blood flowing. I disliked walking Heritage Bluffs because the layout was designed by a drunk sailor, with many holes teeing up far from the previous green. In these cases, it wasn't always clear where the next teebox was located.

Then there's the narrow choke points where walkers have to compete for space with the riders. To be fair, most riders are courteous, but some of them will make you fear for your life when you have to share a path with them.

As I noted on the 'Where are you playing today...' thread, I found Highlands of Elgin and Big Run to be two of the toughest walking courses. I think #18 at Big Run, aka The Toboggan Slide, to be the hardest single hole to walk.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I typically find that I score better when I walk. As an example, I walked Blackstone in the AM and was 7 to 8 strokes better than when I carted it on a replay in the PM. I agree that decent (bogey golfers) players don't hold up the course at all while walking. I walked Big Run the first time I played it and the clubhouse person looked at me like I was crazy. I'll never do that again. Heritage Bluffs was okay walking, but I agree it gets confusing on where to go. Blackstone going from the clubhouse to 1 is very long, and the walk to 10 is long as well. The rest was okay. I'd walk all the time if not for trying to finish a round under 2.5 hours when nobody else is on the course OR when the humidity is so bad you can't breathe.

Great thread. I always prefer to walk and carry my own bag. However, walking with a caddy is the best. I've always felt walking is part of the whole golf experience.

I do ride with friends or colleagues who only ride. Selfishly, I hate it, spinning around in circles looking for golf balls is my idea of hell. Walking the course helps you learn how to play it, especially, walking on the green. It allows you to see and feel the countours. When you park the cart on the side or behind the green I think you lose this perspective.

I will also pay the cart fees and walk at places that don't have a "walking rate." And, I agree courses requiring carts is about generating revenue, not that carts are faster.

Argonne, I now understand some of your comments and our differing opinions on courses that are good to walk. Using a pull cart makes a difference. Sheperd's Crook is one of my favorites, but they run the rope across the fairway to keep carts off the green. That would be a hassle with a pull cart. I'm 45, and have said I will get a pull cart when I hit 50. However, it might happen sooner than later.

Pine Meadow is my favorite to walk. Other courses that are also good to walk are: Stonewall Orchard, Sheperd's Crook, George Dunne, Ravisloe, Village Links, Sunset Valley, Glencoe and The Highlands of Elgin.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1401737391' post='9415603']
Great thread. I always prefer to walk and carry my own bag. However, walking with a caddy is the best. I've always felt walking is part of the whole golf experience.

I do ride with friends or colleagues who only ride. Selfishly, I hate it, spinning around in circles looking for golf balls is my idea of hell. Walking the course helps you learn how to play it, especially, walking on the green. It allows you to see and feel the countours. When you park the cart on the side or behind the green I think you lose this perspective.

I will also pay the cart fees and walk at places that don't have a "walking rate." And, I agree courses requiring carts is about generating revenue, not that carts are faster.

Argonne, I now understand some of your comments and our differing opinions on courses that are good to walk. Using a pull cart makes a difference. Sheperd's Crook is one of my favorites, but they run the rope across the fairway to keep carts off the green. That would be a hassle with a pull cart. I'm 45, and have said I will get a pull cart when I hit 50. However, it might happen sooner than later.

Pine Meadow is my favorite to walk. Other courses that are also good to walk are: Stonewall Orchard, Sheperd's Crook, George Dunne, Ravisloe, Village Links, Sunset Valley, Glencoe and The Highlands of Elgin.
[/quote]

I carried until I turned 40, and having a bad back, said "Enough". I've used a pushcart ever since on the local courses. As you note, having a caddy is the best. I've had caddies at Whistling Straits, Pinehurst, Bandon Dunes, and Streamsong, and it definitely adds to the overall experience.

For a lot of reasons, I find that I play better walking. I'm able to blow off steam after a bad shot, think about my next shot, and when I get to the ball, select the [b]correct [/b]club. I'll admit it, I'm lazy. If I grab the wrong wedge playing cart golf, I'll likely not go back to the cart to grab the right club, but instead try to hit the shot with the club in hand, often with poor results.

Also, walking up the front of the green allows you to see the full green. I can't tell you how many times my ball has been above the hole, and coming from the electric cart, was just too lazy to walk around the ball. Of course, it's my fault, but something about the carts deadens my brain. :crazy:

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1401739698' post='9415929']
I walked Erin HIlls a couple years ago, 3 months after back surgery #7. (insert I'm an idiot emoticon here). :crazy:

Brutal 8 mile walk with tee boxes elevated 40 feet high on just about every hole.
[/quote]

Duly inserted. :taunt:

Oooh, I forgot about that one. I had a caddy, and it really helped. Did you have a caddy?

I walked 72 holes at Bandon in 2 days last August. The morning rounds I had a caddy, and I used a rickshaw for the PM rounds. I thought I was going to die on the 2nd day's PM round on the hilly Bandon Trails. I was playing as a single, and it's the first time I ever let another group play through.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1401739972' post='9415973']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1401739698' post='9415929']
I walked Erin HIlls a couple years ago, 3 months after back surgery #7. (insert I'm an idiot emoticon here). :crazy:

Brutal 8 mile walk with tee boxes elevated 40 feet high on just about every hole.
[/quote]

Oooh, I forgot about that one. I had a caddy, and it really helped. Did you have a caddy?

I walked 72 holes at Bandon in 2 days last August. The morning rounds I had a caddy, and I used a rickshaw for the PM rounds. I thought I was going to die on the 2nd day's PM round on the hilly Bandon Trails. I was playing as a single, and it's the first time I ever let another group play through.
[/quote]

Yea I had a caddy, but just the walking itself was brutal. The caddy was great, but once we shared a joint on the 8th hole his green reading and attentiveness went down a bit :pimp:

Yea I had a caddy, but just the walking itself was brutal. The caddy was great, but once we shared a joint on the 8th hole his green reading and attentiveness went down a bit :pimp:

Lol. Did you say caddy, or caddyshack? Did the caddy look anything like this guy?

CaddyShackBillMurrayUnkempt.jpg

I sold my one year old BagBoy TriSwivel to my friend, and picked up a new ClicGear 8.0. 'Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. The thing is built like a tank, but looks like it rolls very smoothly.

Going to be walking Arrowhead on Saturday. It's been a few years since I've played there, but if I recall correctly, it's not a bad stroll. I hope the rough isn't too brutal.

Arrowhead isn't tough to walk. I too prefer to walk over ride. I find I tend to lose balls in the rough while riding as it's a struggle to judge distance. I wish all courses were better set up for walking, nothing worse than a hike from green to tee. I played prairie landing for the first time last year and walked it. If I'm remembering it correctly there were a few holes quite a ways apart

What's the biggest hike from green to tee in the area? The walk from the #1 green to the #2 tee, and the return from #17 to #18 at Water's Edge is quite a hike, taking you under the Harlem Cal/Sag bridge.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1402066240' post='9442415']
What's the biggest hike from green to tee in the area? The walk from the #1 green to the #2 tee, and the return from #17 to #18 at Water's Edge is quite a hike, taking you under the Harlem Cal/Sag bridge.
[/quote]

If you find yourself playing Water's Edge these days you'd be better off just jumping into the Cal/Sag river rather than finishing your round. Never in all my life seen a course go to s*** over a 10 year period as rapidly as Waters Edge. Gotta be the only course ever to have on cart state of the art GPS and then remove it. Once you have that in the cart how much does it really cost to maintain it? A subscription fee?

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1402070654' post='9442943']
[/quote]

If you find yourself playing Water's Edge these days you'd be better off just jumping into the Cal/Sag river rather than finishing your round. Never in all my life seen a course go to s*** over a 10 year period as rapidly as Waters Edge. Gotta be the only course ever to have on cart state of the art GPS and then remove it. Once you have that in the cart how much does it really cost to maintain it? A subscription fee?
[/quote]

Lol. When was the course ever not sh*t? It's not a bad layout, but the drainage has always sucked. Too many holes are saturated throughout the playing season.

With the proliferation of handheld GPS and lasers, the need for cart-mounted GPS has diminished. There are a few courses that have removed the units. I'm assuming the subscription fee can be fairly large, and if they feel it's not bringing in any additional revenue, then out it goes.

[/quote]

9 green to 10 tee on Starboard.
15 tee to 15 green on Port.
7 green to 8 tee at Balmoral

[/quote]

As someone who walks 99% of rounds, it's easily the 9th green to the tenth tee at Oak Grove. Probably close to a half mile.

[/quote]

[/quote]

When Water's Edge first opened it was great. We played there all the time. It fell of my radar for a while. I went back last summer for the first time in 8-10 years. It sucked, totally beat up and the people in the shop and starter were jerks. I won't go back unless I hear it's better.

The treks from the 1st green to 2nd tee and from 17 green to 18 tee are long.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1402072115' post='9443109']
[/quote]

[/quote]

When Water's Edge first opened it was great. We played there all the time. It fell of my radar for a while. I went back last summer for the first time in 8-10 years. It sucked, totally beat up and the people in the shop and starter were jerks. I won't go back unless I hear it's better.

The treks from the 1st green to 2nd tee and from 17 green to 18 tee are long.
[/quote]

The goose sh*t on the 18th fairway is reason alone to avoid the place, or at least avoid walking the place.

There should be a one day moritorium each year on hunting Canadian Geese. I'd personally bag 100 of the damn flying rats.

The hump up to #14 at highlands of elgin is pretty rough that late in the round...ha. I do walk there often though. The best way to walk highlands is in a 3some having them tow your pull cart on the long transitions! :D I actually see quite a few people walking out there as of late. I have walked less this year than any in the past, we book through golfnow a lot.

'Still think the hardest walking stretch is #18 at Big Run, aka the Toboggan Slide.

My pet peeve having to use a cart. The few times I've rocked up and said I'm walking, they say "no you need to use a cart", then I only do it if I have it solo. Fricken pisses me off. Those few times were the last I ever played those courses. One was Arrowhead on a Saturday morning. The dick at the pro shop responds with "everyone knows that rule." So loaded up the cart with another guy and halfway down the first took the bag off it and walked. By the 3rd hole or so ranger comes round to the green and ask "Where's your cart?" I said, "Looks like it's halfway back down the fairway. It was holding me up."

Grrrrrrr.

PS: I only like to use a cart for a scramble/ambrose. It's a quick game with everyone heading in the same direction and over in less than 3 hours. But then again, scramble isn't even really golf.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1402073392' post='9443259']
'Still think the hardest walking stretch is #18 at Big Run, aka the Toboggan Slide.
[/quote]

Both par 5's on the back of Big Run require a sherpa. At Big Run it's an uphill hike on 1, 2, 5, 7, 11, 14, 15 and 18. But, there's something I really love about Big Run. I always have a blast there.

[/quote]

I'll add the 9th green to 10th tee at Shepherd's Crook.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1402077279' post='9443655']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1402073392' post='9443259']
[/quote]

Both par 5's on the back of Big Run require a sherpa. At Big Run it's an uphill hike on 1, 2, 5, 7, 11, 14, 15 and 18. But, there's something I really love about Big Run. I always have a blast there.
[/quote]

If BR had a practice range, and was in better condition, I'd definitely visit more often.

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1402073550' post='9443275']
My pet peeve having to use a cart. The few times I've rocked up and said I'm walking, they say "no you need to use a cart", then I only do it if I have it solo. Fricken pisses me off. Those few times were the last I ever played those courses. One was Arrowhead on a Saturday morning. The dick at the pro shop responds with "everyone knows that rule." So loaded up the cart with another guy and halfway down the first took the bag off it and walked. By the 3rd hole or so ranger comes round to the green and ask "Where's your cart?" I said, "Looks like it's halfway back down the fairway. It was holding me up."

Grrrrrrr.

PS: I only like to use a cart for a scramble/ambrose. It's a quick game with everyone heading in the same direction and over in less than 3 hours. But then again, scramble isn't even really golf.
[/quote]

I hear you. If I'm walking with a group that is riding, 9 times out of ten I'm on the green waiting for them. If a course is honest and simply states that carts are required because they're profitable, then I might understand. However, please don't bullsh*t me and tell me it's about pace of play. I've waited half my life for the group in carts in front of me to know better.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1401734536' post='9415209']
No, not strolling down the lakefront, or down the Mag Mile. Figured we could use a thread to trade tips, tricks, horror stories, about trying to get some exercise out on the course.

I generally try to walk half my rounds or more. Having a bum knee since last Fall has skewed the numbers so far this year, but I just picked up a new ClicGear 8.0, and I'm hoping to start walking more.

I once tried walking at Water's Edge on a Sunday morning, and they flat out told me 'No'. No walking before X am. I insisted that I was going to walk, and they said "Fine, as long as you pay the cart fee". Let's face it, we know it's really about the profit from cart rental, and not about pace of play. Unless I'm playing with excellent players who really know how to use a cart, I often find myself standing on the green waiting for the so-called "faster" players in their carts.

Another pet peeve is courses that allow walking, but seem to go out of their way to discourage it. For example, while many courses use placards in the fairway to delineate the 'No Carts' area in front of the greens, why do some courses insist on string rope across the entire fairway? If you're going to use rope, at least leave an opening for golfers with pushcarts.

Another pet peeve is courses without walkways cut between the teebox and the fairway, and/or between the greens and the next teebox, e.g. Harborside. 'Nothing like pushing a cart through 8 inches of wet rough to get the blood flowing. I disliked walking Heritage Bluffs because the layout was designed by a drunk sailor, with many holes teeing up far from the previous green. In these cases, it wasn't always clear where the next teebox was located.

Then there's the narrow choke points where walkers have to compete for space with the riders. To be fair, most riders are courteous, but some of them will make you fear for your life when you have to share a path with them.

As I noted on the 'Where are you playing today...' thread, I found Highlands of Elgin and Big Run to be two of the toughest walking courses. I think #18 at Big Run, aka The Toboggan Slide, to be the hardest single hole to walk.
[/quote]

Back when I was younger walked Big Run on a 95 degree day. It was so bad the person who picked up with us stopped after 9. I would try this today.

Speaking of walking, saw this in my confirmation email from Dubs. Is it true I can walk it with a caddy rather than take a cart? Anyone ever do this?

Caddies are available by reservation June 1st through August 15th. Please reserve at least 48 hours in advance. The caddie fee is an additional $20.00, plus optional tip.
Call 866-COG-HILL x318.

[quote name='Bandy1080' timestamp='1402080527' post='9444057']
Speaking of walking, saw this in my confirmation email from Dubs. Is it true I can walk it with a caddy rather than take a cart? Anyone ever do this?

Caddies are available by reservation June 1st through August 15th. Please reserve at least 48 hours in advance. The caddie fee is an additional $20.00, plus optional tip.
Call 866-COG-HILL x318.
[/quote]

100% true.

[quote name='Brian Burns' timestamp='1402081332' post='9444141']
[quote name='Bandy1080' timestamp='1402080527' post='9444057']

Call 866-COG-HILL x318.
[/quote]

100% true.
[/quote]

I've played Dubs every summer for years and never heard about this. $20 for a caddy? I'll definitely have to give it a go this summer.