2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Galaxy vs. Golfsmith

rb83993

Compare the two.
We are finally get a Golfsmith in Indy! I was wanting hear some comparsions of the two.

Our GG is very weak, they tend to carry very few clubs with upgraded shafts, no high end putters (Cameron, Redwood...).

Any feed back would be great, thanks.

Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
18 Cobra DWS
PING Rapture Hy 21
PING G series 5-pw
PING Glide 56
Odyssey Milled #9

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Golf Galaxy because most of their employees have no idea what they're doing. They also don't care, that's why things are mispriced and mislabeled. It doesn't matter to them if something sells or not.

They don't have a clue on the used stuff, and that's mostly what I'm there for. Tour issued wedge for $14. Thank you very much.

The more clueless the employees, the better the deals.

I'm not in there for a consultation or a fitting and I sure as hell wouldn't let them fix a club, the repair guys are hacks.

If I need actual repair or fitting services I'll go see an actual professional.

Not to threadjack but the guys at my local Dick's are the ones even Golf Galaxy wouldn't take. I love the Nike stand bag at Dicks with the suggested retail sticker still on it that's less than Dick's price.

I really dont see any difference between the two. Except, in the club building dept. If you change your grips yourself, and do other tinkering (as I do) the equip to help you do it is better at GS.

What I think it mostly comes down to is which sales staff is more helpful and informative to you. You can always order whatever you need if you can figure out what that might be!!

GG is like walking into a Target. GS is more like a sports store.

Have fun.

I have bought stuff from both, and most of the time it matters who is more convenient to me at that point in time.

Dick's owns Golf Galaxy and the word is they are making a play for GolfSmith now.....stay tuned

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I really dont see any difference between the two. Except, in the club building dept. If you change your grips yourself, and do other tinkering (as I do) the equip to help you do it is better at GS.

What I think it mostly comes down to is which sales staff is more helpful and informative to you. You can always order whatever you need if you can figure out what that might be!!

GG is like walking into a Target. GS is more like a sports store.

Have fun.

I have bought stuff from both, and most of the time it matters who is more convenient to me at that point in time.

Yeah, we don't have a Golfsmith but the Golfsmiths I've been in had good staff in the club building/repair department.

I find that in general, the employees at GG are much more knowledgeable, honest and helpful than the ones at GS. Clearly the cultures of these two companies are based on completely different ideas. As a previous poster said, you can call the 800 numbers, go in the two stores, and you just get a different feeling in one of them.

I know that GG people used to not work on commission, which I think is not the case at GS. However, Dick's pays commission, so that might change. Knowing someone isn't trying to sell something to me for commission and is just being helpful is a valuable thing.

Has anyone gotten clubs re-gripped at Golf Galaxy? Was it good or bad and how long did it take? I know they have the 24hr. turnaround time but I only need 4 clubs regripped and am curious if they can do it while I wait in the store.

Taylormade Sim2 8* HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Cobra RAD Speed 3W HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5
Callaway XR16 5W 18* Kuro Kage TiNi X 
Srixon Z565 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

I find that in general, the employees at GG are much more knowledgeable, honest and helpful than the ones at GS. Clearly the cultures of these two companies are based on completely different ideas. As a previous poster said, you can call the 800 numbers, go in the two stores, and you just get a different feeling in one of them.

I know that GG people used to not work on commission, which I think is not the case at GS. However, Dick's pays commission, so that might change. Knowing someone isn't trying to sell something to me for commission and is just being helpful is a valuable thing.

U got that right! :tongue:

In my area (Dallas Tx), there's no comparison. ………….

Golf Galaxy - Golf Galaxy is my favorite store for many, any reasons . The level of knowledge varies tremendously, but………..

* Selection is admirable

* Trade-in prices are better

* Less idiots than Golfsmith

* Faster checkout times

* More responsive and helpful (even though not every rep is knowledgeable)

* They hire more cute young ladies, which always helps with atmosphere (wink)

* I often have small club jobs done while I wait (regrips, loft/lie checks, etc.)

Golfsmith - I can't stand them anymore, and refuse to patronize them unless absolutely necessary. Here's why……….

* Impossible to get someone to help

* Clubbuilders are pure idiots

* Takes far too long for club repair work, often 3-5 days for re-gripping a single wedge

* Trade-in pricing is abysmal. They won't give you squat for anything.

* It's hard to demo equipment. It'll take forever to find someone, argue with them about clubs, then (finally) negotiate with them to tape up a club and hit it in the cage/net.

I've only been to it once, but that new PGA Superstore is simply awesome. If only it was closer to home..............

Well, my experience is that Golfsmith is much better than GG. We've had GS in Houston for at least ten years now. GG is really new. They just built one about five miles from my house, and the nearest GS is about 15. It just seems like GG employs high school kids and retirees. They have no idea what they are selling.

I couldn't help but laugh when I asked someone to compare a 757 to a Diamana. Obviously he had no clue, as he had never heard of Diamana, but knew that FUJICARRA's (misspelled on purpose, to show how he pronounced it), were great shafts. I then asked how this Sonartec's Fuji Tour Platform 27.3 compared to a 757. Well its a FUJICARRA, so its got to be good. Huh?

It all comes down to customer service, and in my area, GS has GG beat big time. At the two GS's I frequent, the clubmakers do very good work. Of course the only work, I get them to do is pull graphite shafts. I do the rest myself.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Has anyone gotten clubs re-gripped at Golf Galaxy? Was it good or bad and how long did it take? I know they have the 24hr. turnaround time but I only need 4 clubs regripped and am curious if they can do it while I wait in the store.

Anybody can regrip clubs. If you don't like their work after the first time, I highly suggest that you learn to do it yourself. It's so easy, and they are ready to play in about 3 hours max (less if you really want to).

I would imagine if it weren't busy they could easily do them while you wait in the store. It only takes a couple of minutes per club, if that. It all depends on how tough the tape is to get off.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

it shouldn't take 3-5 days to regrip a single club, that's ridiculous. what people don't get is they think their repairs/club work is the only stuff that has to be done or that matters. i'm sure if you asked nicely and were polite, you could get 1-4 clubs regripped on the spot (provided the clubmaker or someone who knows how to do it is in the store that day).

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I had Golf Galaxy regrip my clubs and they did a fine job! On the occasion when it was 1 or 2...they did it right there. With a whole set, it took about 24 hours.

I've also had them adjusted the lie angles on some Precept Tour Premiums I had and they came back to me in the same (beautiful) condition. The guy even waited while I hit a few in their store to ensure they fit right.

I had some MacGregor 1025m blades regripped at a locally owned GolfUSA and my 5-iron came back with a nice gouge on the topline. I went back to the store to show the owner (who did the regripping) and he was initially stand-offish and blamed his wife..."I regripped your clubs and I know I DIDN'T do that. Must have been my wife when she brought them to the counter." Ironic that the size of the gouge would have caused by a pretty significant force to the iron and I definitely didn't see her do that! To his credit, he did buff it down so it wasn't as noticeable, but I haven't gone back there since. No one likes to feel insignificant or unimportant especially when you've paid for something. Since then Golf Galaxy has been my choice.

I've heard of the differences in culture between GG and GS. From a GG standpoint, I've found quite a few of the local representatives fairly knowledgeable and very polite. They also really took an interest in my unique golf needs and actively participated when trying out different putters (grabbing a short length, etc). My dealings with GS on the phone were very unprofessional and I don't think I'd like it if that is typical experience in the store. Our local GG has a good selection of shoes, clothes, irons, woods and putters, but will keep the pricier OTR putters in the back so they don't get beat-up.

I think with any store, the quality of service will depend on how good the manager and staff are.

Guys, thanks for the response, I guess it comes down to the people they hire. We had ProGolf that just closed that had great and knowledgable people, hopefully some will work for GS.

With the great people on this page and information I pretty sure of what I am looking for but would like to test/see it in person before I buy. I hoping the GS will carry clubs with different shaft selection and more high-end putters. I know that the average golfer doesn't spend $250 putter, but there are some of us that would and sure would like to try one before I buy.

Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
18 Cobra DWS
PING Rapture Hy 21
PING G series 5-pw
PING Glide 56
Odyssey Milled #9

I frequent GG & GS in New York. I go to the GS in NYC and the GS & GG on Long Island. The clubbuilder that just quit in the GS NYC store was just 23 and did poor work. The GS on Long Island takes way too long to get reshafting done. The GG just opened up last year and so far I noticed that salepeople are either very knowledgeable or have no clue, with nobody in between. One other thing, with GS the trade-in grading varies greatly from rep to rep. Over the last two years I have learned to call in to see if a certain rep is working so I can get the best trade-in value possible.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Actually, I've been to numerous GS and GG stores in the Chicago area, and I find that GS is always full of people who don't know anything and don't want to help you and GG is the opposite (I know it's a generalization). Maybe it's a geographical thing, but to me that says that people running the company care about these things at one company and don't care about them at the other.

Our Golf Galaxy in San Antonio is pretty good. The sales associates I've dealt with were courteous and very knowledgeable. A few may have been young, but they knew what they were talking about. There is always someone asking if I need help with anything...what else could I ask for as a consumer. Plus, a participant from "The Big Break" works there! I could walk around aimlessly at Golfsmith and it takes a while for someone to ask if I need help.

I live in a town with both and I think it's a little bit of a mixed bag. There are things I like about both.

In the end, however, I tend to buy more drivers at GS because of the 90-90 guarantee. (Return within 90 days and get 90% back in credit). As someone who likes to experiment with drivers, that's pretty key.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

Not to threadjack myself, but I find that some of the more privately owned companies, like say, maybe golf headquarters, if anyone's encountered those, staffs people who at least know the game well enough to tell you about equipment. That said, there are other companies (like GG and GS) where you encounter misinformed employees. I swear by my Golf HQ, and though they don't have a launch monitor, they have the best clubfitters in my area, and the most knowledgeable workers around. In the end, what more could you ask for?

We are finally get a Golfsmith in Indy! I was wanting hear some comparsions of the two.

Our GG is very weak, they tend to carry very few clubs with upgraded shafts, no high end putters (Cameron, Redwood...).

Are you in Indianapolis? Castleton area? Is there still a Pro Golf Discount? I used to know the owner and wondered if he was still in business.

Are you in Indianapolis? Castleton area? Is there still a Pro Golf Discount? I used to know the owner and wondered if he was still in business.

If you're referring to the one by the Castleton mall, as indyplayer said, it went away maybe six months ago. Owner decided to sell it and move to Florida according to one of their salespersons.

From memory the Golfsmith in Columbus OH had a much larger club selection than the GG in Castleton. Agreed that it will vary store to store and as long as it's better than Dick's I'm happy. Well, maybe I take that back as I'm kind of unhappy to hear that about Golfsmith coming to town as I'll have to pay taxes on their stuff now.