2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf Galaxy vs. Golfsmith

rb83993

Slightly off-topic. We don't have either of those in Hawaii but, as of a few months ago, we have Roger Dunns. 90 day no-questions-asked return policy on any merchandise in the store. Clubs, bags, balls anything! It is great. I don't know if Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy does this but I am glad Roger Dunn does.

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a GG right near me and a GS up the road. The sales area in GS is better and even has a putting area. The GG does not. GS screwed a couple of clubs I brought in to work on and I am pissed. Wont go back to them for work. Not sure about GG. GG has a better hitting area. Three separate bays, one of which has a simulator. GS has two poor bays which are not separated. Wound up taking some lessons at GG. Surprise surprise I really like it and am making progress. I opt for video with commentary over the internet which is excellent. The bay has two cameras giving front and side angles at the same time. Great. I recommend this to all. The price is more than fair.

I have been to a Golfsmith once. Good selection, you can get on the simulator but it is fairly lame compared to Edwin Watts sim. The kids in GS are text messaging their friends and the adult sales people are bitching to other adult sales people. The company is a listed stock and I think that business is not great though almost all retailers are suffering. The kids were nice but just running around. Good selection, lots of good used clubs but it is like a chain Italian restaurant like Olive Garden, good but the sauce sucks. OG is actually not that bad.

Edwin Watts can be pretty good because you have PGA teaching pros as salesmen. A little tougher to get on the simulator because they want your to buy something. Their simulator is awesome and they are generally helpful. Their clearence sales are pretty good. There is a Galxy around so I will have to check it out. no Dicks nearby. SportsAuthority and they sales people are actually play golf, are nice and they know something but no fitting or anything there.

This is the classic situation at the Galaxy.

I'm in there the other day and a guy is looking to buy a friend a Studio Select, except he doesn't know what it looks like, so he asks the sales guy.

Of course the sales guy has no idea, and he calls over another sales guy, who also doesn't know. A third sales guy shows up, he's got no clue.

When they all leave to go get the manager, I tell the customer the sales guys are useless, and show him where the Selects are.

Of course they're locked up in the plastic "vault" where they never get seen or sold. I understand the need to keep 12 year olds from beating the hell out of the high end putters, but there's got to be a better way. Like on a rack behind the counter or something.

If you took a random sales guy out of Best Buy and put him in the Galaxy nobody could tell the difference.

I have alot of golf stores in my area, Golfsmith x2, Pro Golf, NJ Golfman, Dick's, Enterprise Golf, NY Golf Center x2, GolfGalaxy x2, as well has a driving range that sell a couple of OEMs and those $2-4K japanese iron sets. I've been to all except Dick's -- frequently. Enterprise Golf, NJ Golfman, and the driving range one are all OEM retailers but are not chains. I get better customer service from Enterprise Golf (best floor salesmen), and from Golfsmith (best fitting attention).

GG seems to have more irons on display than GS in most of my cases. But GS website is much better thanks mostly to the SmartFit system and the fact that you can order customized configuration of both sets and club fitting dimensions. The fact that I could order 5 irons instead of the usual 8 sealed the deal for me.

As far chains go, I give Golfsmith the nod. I got fitted recently. They helped me to not only pick a first place and second place set for my needs (i10s and Tour Burners irons), but they took the time to correct my swing faults. In addition, not only did I get iron fitting for only $20, I got a free driver fitting with it. Took over an hour with no sense of being rushed.

Just testing drivers at my GGs and I got annoyed looks.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

My GS experience has been good. The salesmen approach me and offer to help. Trying out clubs isn't a problem. I haven't had any club repair/modifications done nor have I traded in clubs at GS. The club selection is large for both new and used clubs.

My only complaints are that I ordered a Titleist wedge with a graphite shaft and it took over a month to get it. I was told it would only be a couple weeks. Also, when I bought some new irons, the salesman said that they couldn't be fitted. Later I was told by a pro "Your irons are easy to adjust." So, I don't know the salesman meant there wasn't anyone in the store that day to do fitting or if he just didn't know that the irons could be adjusted.

I have no experience with GG.

I find that in general, the employees at GG are much more knowledgeable, honest and helpful than the ones at GS. Clearly the cultures of these two companies are based on completely different ideas. As a previous poster said, you can call the 800 numbers, go in the two stores, and you just get a different feeling in one of them.

I know that GG people used to not work on commission, which I think is not the case at GS. However, Dick's pays commission, so that might change. Knowing someone isn't trying to sell something to me for commission and is just being helpful is a valuable thing.

U got that right! :D

In my area (Dallas Tx), there's no comparison. ………….

Golf Galaxy - Golf Galaxy is my favorite store for many, any reasons . The level of knowledge varies tremendously, but………..

* Selection is admirable

* Trade-in prices are better

* Less idiots than Golfsmith

* Faster checkout times

* More responsive and helpful (even though not every rep is knowledgeable)

* They hire more cute young ladies, which always helps with atmosphere (wink)

* I often have small club jobs done while I wait (regrips, loft/lie checks, etc.)

Golfsmith - I can't stand them anymore, and refuse to patronize them unless absolutely necessary. Here's why……….

* Impossible to get someone to help

* Clubbuilders are pure idiots

* Takes far too long for club repair work, often 3-5 days for re-gripping a single wedge

* Trade-in pricing is abysmal. They won't give you squat for anything.

* It's hard to demo equipment. It'll take forever to find someone, argue with them about clubs, then (finally) negotiate with them to tape up a club and hit it in the cage/net.

I've only been to it once, but that new PGA Superstore is simply awesome. If only it was closer to home..............

I agree!!! Plus, GG will install your grips etc even late in the day. try that with Golfsmith, they will just say Nobody is available to help.. Very unhelpful (I also live in Dallas!)

I have two GG and two GS fairly close to me and to me there is a huge difference in service. To me GG seems to care a little more than GS. GS just tries to make deals even if it is not right for you and they overprice usd golf clubs more than GG. That being said I do like that there is more of a selection at GS, but I think GG has more people who are better qualified, even though GS does have a couple of good guys.

I really don't see the point of this thread. Each store is going to be different. One GG might be great and the people might be excellent but in the next city over they are idiots. It is pretty much a roll of the dice when you are hiring people for $8 an hour. So to base your opinion of an entire company and stores in other parts of the country on 1 or 2 morons in your local store is, well, dumb.

I have a GS near me that I go to all the time because they have a pretty big selection. There are a couple of the employees that are knuckle heads, so I just ignore them. There are also some that are really cool and know their stuff, those are the ones I talk to. But to base my opinion of a GS and the employees in it that is in Texas based on my experience in California is kind of stupid, IMHO.

I undertsand not wanting to do business somewhere you had a bad experience, I do that also, but to say that the people at X store are idiots because of 1 a** hat in 1 store, kind of short sighted. I mean really, what are you going to get for $8 an hour, part time? Kids and retirees.

GS also has regular increased trade-in bonus throughout the year. There is one going on now...30% increase in trade-in value. GS also price matches + 15% in those rare cases that you can find clubs cheaper elsewhere. They will even reimburse you after the purchase if you find a better deal later.

They also have a better component club selection.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Well, my experience is that Golfsmith is much better than GG. We've had GS in Houston for at least ten years now. GG is really new. They just built one about five miles from my house, and the nearest GS is about 15. It just seems like GG employs high school kids and retirees. They have no idea what they are selling.

I couldn't help but laugh when I asked someone to compare a 757 to a Diamana. Obviously he had no clue, as he had never heard of Diamana, but knew that FUJICARRA's (misspelled on purpose, to show how he pronounced it), were great shafts. I then asked how this Sonartec's Fuji Tour Platform 27.3 compared to a 757. Well its a FUJICARRA, so its got to be good. Huh?

It all comes down to customer service, and in my area, GS has GG beat big time. At the two GS's I frequent, the clubmakers do very good work. Of course the only work, I get them to do is pull graphite shafts. I do the rest myself.

your complaining that your not getting tour van service from a golf store. The people working there(including myself) are there to help you find your way around the store and provide information. Granted they should know the basics of each product and be able to suggest what might work best for your game, but to ask someone getting paid minimum wage to explain the distinct differences between two shafts is rediculous! For $8 dollars an hour are you going to study all of the specifics of every high end shaft made right now? I didnt think so. Personally im on here everyday and couldnt tell you off hand the difference of the tour platform and the 757 spec wise because i have more important things to do then remember the whole FUJI line. Now, I for sure would have gone right to a computer and found out the answer for you(probabley using this site) and try to help you as best i can, but your standards for help are a bit on the rediculous side IMHO.

Well, my experience is that Golfsmith is much better than GG. We've had GS in Houston for at least ten years now. GG is really new. They just built one about five miles from my house, and the nearest GS is about 15. It just seems like GG employs high school kids and retirees. They have no idea what they are selling.

I couldn't help but laugh when I asked someone to compare a 757 to a Diamana. Obviously he had no clue, as he had never heard of Diamana, but knew that FUJICARRA's (misspelled on purpose, to show how he pronounced it), were great shafts. I then asked how this Sonartec's Fuji Tour Platform 27.3 compared to a 757. Well its a FUJICARRA, so its got to be good. Huh?

It all comes down to customer service, and in my area, GS has GG beat big time. At the two GS's I frequent, the clubmakers do very good work. Of course the only work, I get them to do is pull graphite shafts. I do the rest myself.

your complaining that your not getting tour van service from a golf store. The people working there(including myself) are there to help you find your way around the store and provide information. Granted they should know the basics of each product and be able to suggest what might work best for your game, but to ask someone getting paid minimum wage to explain the distinct differences between two shafts is rediculous! For $8 dollars an hour are you going to study all of the specifics of every high end shaft made right now? I didnt think so. Personally im on here everyday and couldnt tell you off hand the difference of the tour platform and the 757 spec wise because i have more important things to do then remember the whole FUJI line. Now, I for sure would have gone right to a computer and found out the answer for you(probabley using this site) and try to help you as best i can, but your standards for help are a bit on the rediculous side IMHO.

To add to this as well, you say Diamana...which could be what? The Blueboard, Whiteboard, Redboard, the Stinger, the Ali'Islei(?)....so....maybe you weren't being specific enough. And just because the person doesn't say the name right is NOT a reason to bash the poor guy! So what...as if you are so perfect, then why didn't you already know the facts of these shafts? It seems that these so so called "low handicap, knowledgable" guys go into these stores just for the sole purpose of hoping to trick up some unsuspecting person. So what, I bet if you asked him to check the differences online for you, he would have been glad too.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GS in Connecticut has more selection than GG...service is similar. Had an GS experience today that I can understand but still is frustrating, because their process has taken over common sense:

Local Store has the last set of Srixon 701 tour with the UST/KBS shafts (so can't have them shipped...with free shipping promo!)

I try to use Bing and Paypal to order (12% cashback) and utilize funds saved in PP

Local Store does not accept Paypal in person and you can't select "in store pick up" (as money doesn't clear upon payment)

No way to overide order online or via phone for local pick up, since they don't have the stock online

Local manager suggests I move PP funds to checking account and pay with a check...pass on the 12% Bing

Am I nuts to ask for a 12% discount???

[quote name='Gibber' post='2082444' date='Nov 24 2009, 10:41 AM']GS in Connecticut has more selection than GG...service is similar. Had an GS experience today that I can understand but still is frustrating, because their process has taken over common sense:

Local Store has the last set of Srixon 701 tour with the UST/KBS shafts (so can't have them shipped...with free shipping promo!)

I try to use Bing and Paypal to order (12% cashback) and utilize funds saved in PP

Local Store does not accept Paypal in person and you can't select "in store pick up" (as money doesn't clear upon payment)

No way to overide order online or via phone for local pick up, since they don't have the stock online

Local manager suggests I move PP funds to checking account and pay with a check...pass on the 12% Bing

Am I nuts to ask for a 12% discount???[/quote]

That's odd, in my experience GS inventory has been pretty accurate when it comes to in store pick up. If they have it in store, you would see it when ordering online. I have done it many times just so that I can get all the discount I can.

With Paypal, you could consider getting the Paypal debit card, so you can access the balance there for in store transactions. Or why don't you just charge it on credit card, and move paypal balance to checking to pay for credit card when bill comes?

Asking for 12% Bing discount is probably not going to work, especially with items so heavily discounted already. But you should definitely try, worst they can do is to look at you as if you are crazy and tell you no. :man_in_love:

Good luck!

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Neither, [u][b]PGA Tour Superstore[/b][/u] :welcomeani:

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

UPDATE: I explained the situation to the store manager...he honored the 12% but not the $25 gift card promo they are doing. Fine with me...$279 out the door for BNIB 3-PW with the FST shafts. :partytime2:

Side note...I know there is a lot of buzz about the deal on Srixons at GS...the box and inventory say TTDG, but the clubs in the box had the FST's. So their inventory (online) does not reference FST availability.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Seve424' timestamp='1174053960' post='488812']
I like Golf Galaxy because most of their employees have no idea what they're doing. They also don't care, that's why things are mispriced and mislabeled. It doesn't matter to them if something sells or not.

They don't have a clue on the used stuff, and that's mostly what I'm there for. Tour issued wedge for $14. Thank you very much.

The more clueless the employees, the better the deals.

I'm not in there for a consultation or a fitting and I sure as hell wouldn't let them fix a club, the repair guys are hacks.

If I need actual repair or fitting services I'll go see an actual professional.

Not to threadjack but the guys at my local Dick's are the ones even Golf Galaxy wouldn't take. I love the Nike stand bag at Dicks with the suggested retail sticker still on it that's less than Dick's price.
[/quote]