What's it like to hit a modern 1 iron? TaylorMade UDI Testing Thread

atursky

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JohnnyDub' timestamp='1405467639' post='9708181']
[quote name='deck' timestamp='1405465349' post='9707971']
Guys doing the reviews would you say this is more for a handicap range below like 6?
[/quote]

I wouldn't say its only for 6 or below as the club itself at address is not intimidating to look at. I do think to take FULL advantage of it you would need a faster swing speed 100+ with a driver. Im considering putting an I95 Aerotech in mine to see if that raises the flight a bit especially off the fairway. Like a bonehead I ordered mine with the shafts I play in my irons and its a beast weight wise. Im telling you all, off the tee if you just need to mash something out there that isn't a driver this is a sure thing.
[/quote]

Well said and totally agreed.

[quote name='BIGDUB512' timestamp='1405387089' post='9701419']
How was the turf interaction when hitting a stinger shot? Were you able to keep it as low as you wanted when trying to hit that kind of shot?
[/quote]

When it comes to certain shots this is where the difficulty came for me. It could have been my shaft choice DGTI S400. It wasn't so much keeping the ball down that was hard, it was getting it up to where the ball could stop relatively softly. Im not talking about straight up and straight down either I'm talking about it not hitting the ground and running for dear life. This club is like a missile, it has 2 speeds stop and nuclear. If you want something to hit into Par 5's thats gonna stop around the greens the UDI isn't perfect for that at least in my experience. As I mentioned before Id love to try this thing with a lighter spinner shaft to see what that does.

After some more testing I would say anyone that can comfortably hit there 3 or 4 iron off a tee, should be just fine with this club. I will agree though, you have to swing the UDI at least 90 mph to take advantage of a 16* iron. Definitely go with a graphite shaft, anything that will help launch it higher is your friend.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='NFD' timestamp='1405474231' post='9708863']
With the distances/stats people are posting about the UDI, this almost makes the SLDR Mini sound obsolete and a better option.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that. The only advantage for me in this case with the MINI is the ability to get the ball up if I had to. Although I do hit the MINI a little lower off the deck I still have the option of getting it up. The UDI just offered knee high fastballs off the deck. No great distance sacrifices but stopping it is near impossible......unless you hit it in the bunker, or the water which happened. Stops on a dime in that case....even sank a bit.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy this club as my "go to" shot for long par 4s and par 5s...I couldn't hit it high enough to ever try and stop it on a green from 250 out...that's where fw woods and hybrids still have the advantage - as such, this is still a niche club, but a really cool niche club and one that will certainly in the rotation for my bag!

How many of you guys would have opted for a 2 or 3 or even a 4 UDI instead of the 1 iron.? And is this really a "one trick pony" for conditions like Hoylake? Not really to be hit into greens, but off the tee and laying up on longer holes?

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1405481132' post='9709701']
How many of you guys would have opted for a 2 or 3 or even a 4 UDI instead of the 1 iron.? And is this really a "one trick pony" for conditions like Hoylake? Not really to be hit into greens, but off the tee and laying up on longer holes?
[/quote]

Well, that's at least two tricks right there :taunt:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]It's hard to say whether or not the 2/3/4 would have been a better fit, but I have to say the 1 iron launches quite a bit higher off tee than I thought it would have...if I were looking for something to replace my 19* hybrid, I'd probably end up with the 2 or 3 - But, I really see myself using this as a course specific club...or at the very least as my go to alternative if I don't want to (or feel comfortable) hitting driver on certain holes [/size]
[size=4]The real interesting thing for me to see will be whether or not I drop my 3 wood or hybrid when I put the UDI in the bag...[/size]

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1405481578' post='9709743']
[/quote]

Well, that's at least two tricks right there :taunt:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]It's hard to say whether or not the 2/3/4 would have been a better fit, but I have to say the 1 iron launches quite a bit higher off tee than I thought it would have...if I were looking for something to replace my 19* hybrid, I'd probably end up with the 2 or 3 - But, I really see myself using this as a course specific club...or at the very least as my go to alternative if I don't want to (or feel comfortable) hitting driver on certain holes [/size]
[size=4]The real interesting thing for me to see will be whether or not I drop my 3 wood or hybrid when I put the UDI in the bag...[/size]
[/quote]

Busted! You got me!

So are you carrying a Mini or 2Deep now? Or would the UDI fill that spot for you?

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1405481889' post='9709757']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1405481578' post='9709743']
[/quote]

Well, that's at least two tricks right there :taunt:

[/quote]

Busted! You got me!

So are you carrying a Mini or 2Deep now? Or would the UDI fill that spot for you?
[/quote]

Good question - Right now I have a Bio Cell + 3/4 wood which is awesome and a 19* hybrid...so the 16* UDI doesn't have an obvious place, but it is really, really fun to hit and it some ways it's more suitable for certain courses than either the 3 wood or hybrid -

What I'm thinking right now is that if I can reach par 5's with less than Driver/3 wood, then the UDI goes in
If I need 3 wood to reach some par 5s and this will help me score, then the 3 wood is in and I have to decide if I need the hybrid or UDI more for that particular course...

Regardless, it will be fun to continue to experiment with and see what makes the most sense!

That's my question, too. How would I use it. Similar to the Mini, where would it fit and what comes out. My fitting at the Kingdom showed that a 5h would be better for me than a 4 iron., for hitting AND stopping on greens. I have thought of a Mini (16*)as a possible replacement to my 3HL and 2 or 3 UDI could be a replacement to my 3h.

Not sure I could hit a 1 UDI, but maybe a 3 or a 4, if it became available. Then pair it with the right shaft. These are .355 taper hosel?

Really want to give this club a shot, just can't figure out where it belongs in the bag. Maybe one of you guys that have hit it can help. I'm a 2 handicap with 112 Driver swing speed.

Currently play a 15 degree Xhot Pro 3 wood with a Speeder shaft. Goes about 250-260.
Hybrid is Adams 9031 with Speeder that flies about 230.
4 Iron is TM MC that goes 210-215.

Can't figure out whether to get the UDI 1 and take out the 3 wood when I'm playing narrow/windy courses. Or should I get the UDI 3 and just replace the hybrid with it. Choices, choices.....

Maybe this will help. My bag will look like this when the UDI is in olay, which will be quite often. I can hit the yardage ranges with each club as well. They just have different trajectories to satisfy certain shots.

Driver 260-300
3 deep 250-270
5 wood 230-250
UDI 230-250
4-pw (210-220 4 iron)
52/58

That covers everything I need. Gives me options off the tee on short/tight holes, with 3 deep, 5 wood, or udi. Gives me options into the green on long approach shots with the 3 deep, 5 wood or 4 iron.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='JohnnyDub' timestamp='1405474705' post='9708923']
[quote name='NFD' timestamp='1405474231' post='9708863']
With the distances/stats people are posting about the UDI, this almost makes the SLDR Mini sound obsolete and a better option.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that. The only advantage for me in this case with the MINI is the ability to get the ball up if I had to. Although I do hit the MINI a little lower off the deck I still have the option of getting it up. The UDI just offered knee high fastballs off the deck. No great distance sacrifices but stopping it is near impossible......unless you hit it in the bunker, or the water which happened. Stops on a dime in that case....even sank a bit.
[/quote]

That's good to know. Sounds like UDI is pretty forgiving as well which makes it a legit option off the tee. Most course I play require 230-260 off the tee, and it sounds like UDI can deliver this. I've been debating on getting a Mini and now I need to add the UDI to the mix.

Titliest 917 D2 12*
Titliest 917 F2 16.5*
Titliest 818 H1 19*
Titliest 818 H1 25*
Titleist T100 6-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 52* F & Low Bounce 58* K
Scotty Cameron Buttonback Newport

[quote name='calvinclark11' timestamp='1405450957' post='9706141']
[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1405447175' post='9705675']
I'm trying to replace my 3 wood with a driving iron. But I'm a 18 handicap, Driver SS 95 Mph. Would this UDI 1 iron make a perfect replacement for 3 wood?
[/quote]

Knowing nothing besides your handicap and swing speed, I think you may be better suited with a low lofted hybrid instead of a driving iron. Although, if you're like me and prefer looking at an iron instead of a wood/hybrid head...I'd give the UDI a try.
[/quote]

Yes I prefer a long iron, or a hybrid that looks like an iron. Where can I demo this UDI iron? Is it available for retail on July 17th? So far only Taylormade vault offers it.

For those light in the wallet, pick up a used Mizuno 18* Fli-Hi (not the hybrid version) and you will have virtually the same club. Should be had for less than $40 and reshaft with your choice.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1405518228' post='9711723']
For those light in the wallet, pick up a used Mizuno 18* Fli-Hi (not the hybrid version) and you will have virtually the same club. Should be had for less than $40 and reshaft with your choice.
[/quote]

Respectfully disagree. The UDI is more forgiving, higher launching and will have far better ball speeds. Other than that, they're pretty much identical :taunt:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1405520879' post='9712085']
[/quote]

Respectfully disagree. The UDI is more forgiving, higher launching and will have far better ball speeds. Other than that, they're pretty much identical :taunt:
[/quote]

Well, i'll disagree with your disagree. The Mizuno is hollow, which by definition has more perimeter weighting, and a lower COG. That said, either club is only made for the .05% of players who really can take practical advantage of such a device.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1405522361' post='9712321']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1405520879' post='9712085']
[/quote]

Respectfully disagree. The UDI is more forgiving, higher launching and will have far better ball speeds. Other than that, they're pretty much identical :taunt:
[/quote]

Well, i'll disagree with your disagree. The Mizuno is hollow, which by definition has more perimeter weighting, and a lower COG. That said, either club is only made for the .05% of players who really can take practical advantage of such a device.
[/quote]

I'll meet both of you in the middle, I would say forgiveness is close, ball speed advantage increase with UDI due to technology, and asthetics goes to the UDI by leaps and bounds

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1405517620' post='9711619']
I'm trying to replace my 3 wood with a driving iron. But I'm a 18 handicap, Driver SS 95 Mph. Would this UDI 1 iron make a perfect replacement for 3 wood?
[/quote]

Knowing nothing besides your handicap and swing speed, I think you may be better suited with a low lofted hybrid instead of a driving iron. Although, if you're like me and prefer looking at an iron instead of a wood/hybrid head...I'd give the UDI a try.
[/quote]

Yes I prefer a long iron, or a hybrid that looks like an iron. Where can I demo this UDI iron? Is it available for retail on July 17th? So far only Taylormade vault offers it.
[/quote]

My understanding is that it will hit retail on August 1st. It's unlikely you will find too many out there though, considering it caters a small range of players.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Adams 9031 comes in 16 and 18 degree lofts. If you can track one down...that would be a great mix of what you're looking for and would be a bit cheaper. I'm sure you would be able to demo a UDI aside from the big box stores or a TM performance lab once it is released.

I don't mean this to sound as facetious as I'm sure it will, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Without knowing anything about me and without seeing my swing, would I likely find more fairways with a driving iron than with a Driver or a 4 wood?

I often hit my 3h off the tee on short or tight driving holes but it can balloon on me a bit, especially into the wind and sometimes it turns into a hook machine making me wish I had just tried my luck with the driver. I seriously lack consistency with the 4 wood which doesn't make me feel confident with it when looking at a narrow fairway.

Really, I just need to find them and hit them on a launch monitor or even a simulator and see how the numbers look. But that's not what the internet is for, is it?

[quote name='calvinclark11' timestamp='1405532677' post='9713833']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Adams 9031 comes in 16 and 18 degree lofts. If you can track one down...that would be a great mix of what you're looking for and would be a bit cheaper. I'm sure you would be able to demo a UDI aside from the big box stores or a TM performance lab once it is released.
[/quote]

Adams 9031 not really looks like an iron. Probably Adams Dhy is the closest. But I've heard the Dhy has a small head. Which is a turnoff for me.