2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

[quote name='lucascole23' timestamp='1421018618' post='10728935']
I have a Jetspeed, they always talk about it being long and light, but I feel I don't have near the control I did with my previous driver... Would cutting down benefit me or would it hurt me with the weight? Would the weight change that much?
[/quote]
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421020500' post='10729107']
It depends how much you cut it down, I've taken up to an inch of other drivers without adding any weight back with no issues. More than that and you might have to add a bit of weight back to the head. I'm about to find out though as soon as my second shaft tip gets here this week sometime. :)

Some of these other more knowledgeable fellows could probably give you more info on the subject :)
[/quote]

Here's where I think the club building sub-forum would be a big asset. Did you have a shaft in mind that you'd like to try in that head? if you had a rough idea of what you'd consider a target playing length, I'm sure they'd be able to help you out for sure!

Welcome to the forum and join in!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe in the spring I'll have enough saved up for customs. I just drained the BP bank the other day again on a "Gift" Vokey SM4 54* to go with the 56*. Not sure if I like them better than the Jaws yet.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

BP's are just like cash, they burn a hole in my pocket lolI had the 54* bent to 52* over the weekend, I might try them Wednesday at mens night, I'm not sure yet though. .

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421073128' post='10731569']
BP's are just like cash, they burn a hole in my pocket lolI had the 54* bent to 52* over the weekend, I might try them Wednesday at mens night, I'm not sure yet though. .
[/quote]

You must have read my mind... when I saw the first post I wondered if you would bend it to a 52. A 52 with 9 bounce sounds pretty versatile. Bent my older 52 Vokey to a 51 with 7 bounce last year for gaps, and generally it was great and point and shoot. But I think that bounce and the slightly narrower sole style caused some issues especially chips on Maui from "brillo" fairways. Picked up a SM5 50.08M grind gently used on the Bay recently and am optimistic.

I liked my SM4 56.11, but I bent it to 55.10 for gaps again, liked it a bit better at that last year for pitches. Though my bunker play wasn't that good with it or my 60 that was prob more operator error. Hopefully that will improve this year and I have optimism with my new SM5 58.08 to replace my 60 for tight pitches and in our firmish bunkers.

The guy at the store bent them to 51.5* and 55.5 because he said they will move back slightly over time. :)

So I got the tip removed from the px black shaft, but I'm not sure if I ruined it or not. Do layers or shaft normally peel away when you take a tip off??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421073197' post='10731577']
It was just eating at me that I was playing Titleist irons and not wedges haha, I have issues... :)
[/quote]'Issues'!? Ya think?!?!? :telephone:

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

No thinking about it, it's a fact lol

So I just glued my very first club, we'll tip for a club. Should be dry in an hour and good to test out Wednesday night :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

So for the rh/lh optiforce tips, there's a trick to the rh/lh cogs. You can take them off the tip. So I can use as many RH tips as I want and only use the cogs from the LH tip that came stock. So I will always have the same loft and not have to worry about it being backwards from using rh tips with rh cogs on two of the shafts. I can just put the lb cogs on whichever shaft I am using at the time :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1421039522' post='10730663']
[quote name='lucascole23' timestamp='1421018618' post='10728935']
I have a Jetspeed, they always talk about it being long and light, but I feel I don't have near the control I did with my previous driver... Would cutting down benefit me or would it hurt me with the weight? Would the weight change that much?
[/quote]
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421020500' post='10729107']
It depends how much you cut it down, I've taken up to an inch of other drivers without adding any weight back with no issues. More than that and you might have to add a bit of weight back to the head. I'm about to find out though as soon as my second shaft tip gets here this week sometime. :)

Some of these other more knowledgeable fellows could probably give you more info on the subject :)
[/quote]

Here's where I think the club building sub-forum would be a big asset. Did you have a shaft in mind that you'd like to try in that head? if you had a rough idea of what you'd consider a target playing length, I'm sure they'd be able to help you out for sure!

Welcome to the forum and join in!
[/quote]Thank you! I have been reading this forum and would love to join in the conversation!

Feel free to jump in anytime, we welcome all in this thread. As long as you have a positive attitude and enjoy light hearted banter with so good info mixed in :)

Welcome aboard sir :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421077399' post='10731897']
I even used a heat gun on 450* instead of a torch. You can see what I n a little better in these pics. Is this normal or did I ruin it??
[/quote]

To be perfectly honest, I have not seen a pulled shaft that looked like that... for sure post those in the club building forum and get an educated opinion... they probably can help you prevent that
from happening again.

Pigs,

Congratulations on your foray into the world of the hobbyist builder. It does appear that you did some damage to the PX shaft tip. What did you use to pull the tip. It appears that you did not straight pull the adaptor, but rather twisted to removed. It looks like a few layers of fibers have delaminated. Worst case scenario, you tip trim the driver shaft and install it into a fairway wood.

A few things I've learned along the journey. Invest in the proper tools and parts, measure multiple times before making a cut, be patient, ensure that all tools are operating safely and you are using safe building practices, have fun.

The ladies and gents in the clubWRX Forum are extremely helpful. If you require assistance, reach out. To name a few; Nessism, Socrates, Howard Jones, Tom Wishon, Joe Kwok, Stuart, Kadin, Golfrnut . . . the list of knowledgeable members is astounding.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421073197' post='10731577']
It was just eating at me that I was playing Titleist irons and not wedges haha, I have issues... :)
[/quote]

I suffer from the same 'affliction' Pigs. Look at my signature.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Pigs,

It appears that a wee bit of shaft prep is showing above the adaptor. If this doesn't bother you and/or if I'm wrong then carry on. If it does, a bit of matched acrylic paint/nail polish will hide the area. I've experienced the same when swapping shafts between different heads (although longer ferrules can usually hide the work) and simply prepping too much.

When I'm prepping a shaft I measure the hosel bore to figure out how much I need to scrape. A toothpick works just fine. I then tape off the shaft about 5mm above the hosel and strip the paint with my knife, moving 360* around the tip. I finish by sanding the tip with fine grit sandpaper cut into strips using a shoe shine method.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1421094111' post='10733857']
Pigs,

Congratulations on your foray into the world of the hobbyist builder. It does appear that you did some damage to the PX shaft tip. What did you use to pull the tip. It appears that you did not straight pull the adaptor, but rather twisted to removed. It looks like a few layers of fibers have delaminated. Worst case scenario, you tip trim the driver shaft and install it into a fairway wood.

A few things I've learned along the journey. Invest in the proper tools and parts, measure multiple times before making a cut, be patient, ensure that all tools are operating safely and you are using safe building practices, have fun.

The ladies and gents in the clubWRX Forum are extremely helpful. If you require assistance, reach out. To name a few; Nessism, Socrates, Howard Jones, Tom Wishon, Joe Kwok, Stuart, Kadin, Golfrnut . . . the list of knowledgeable members is astounding.
[/quote]

Your eye is is seeing correctly sir, I used the "small pipe wrench" that may be visible in one of the pics above to "twist" the tip off not even thinking it might damage the shaft(Rookie Mistake #1) and it loosened the outer layer on the shaft. I cut off the loose bits and sanded it down to prep for the new tip. Again your eye is correct, I sanded too much tip(Rookie Mistake #), but its not much so it shouldn't bother me I don't think. I've only removed iron heads from steel shafts, so I wasn't even thinking that the twisting may hurt it the shaft. Lessons learned, I'll be getting a shaft puller :)

Now to weigh the two shafts and compare. The first thing I noticed when I bolted the PXB onto the Opti is that it felt heavier overall. I'm also going to use leaderboard.com(i think) to get a rough estimate of SW with each of the shafts installed, just for curiosity of course :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Mistakes are learning opportunities. Here's what I love about club building. Most of the 'mistakes' can be undone and/or hidden. If you don't like the look of something you can disassemble and start over again. If you break something it can be purchased again. It's a fun and addictive hobby. I want to purchase product to refine my skills and jump at the opportunity to work for my friends. I've purchased, worked on, and given away clubs to friends so I would have an excuse to work in the garage.

I think you could accomplish the basics with an inexpensive swing weight scale and a graphite shaft puller. Obviously you can travel down the 'rabbit hole' like I have. It's a trip.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

So this is what I have found out so far.

PXv Shaft+Grip = 104g
PXb Shaft+Grip = 118g
PXv Shaft+Head = 295g
PXb Shaft+Head = 309g
Optiforce Head = 191g
G20 Head. = 196g

Now to plug some numbers into leaderboard.com to see what the SW estimates are :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1421098721' post='10734305']
Mistakes are learning opportunities. Here's what I love about club building. Most of the 'mistakes' can be undone and/or hidden. If you don't like the look of something you can disassemble and start over again. If you break something it can be purchased again. It's a fun and addictive hobby. I want to purchase product to refine my skills and jump at the opportunity to work for my friends. I've purchased, worked on, and given away clubs to friends so I would have an excuse to work in the garage.

I think you could accomplish the basics with an inexpensive swing weight scale and a graphite shaft puller. Obviously you can travel down the 'rabbit hole' like I have. It's a trip.
[/quote]

My father in law just bought an SLDR 10.5 on saturday and he was texting me today(he actually tested me from golftown saturday looking for recommendations on drivers to try, he's a TM fan) about "cleaning up" his old one to sell lol. Now he wants to come visit to play sim golf and try his new club lol. I think I'll definitely be getting a puller and a sw scale so I can do some minor tinkering on my own. Why pay someone to do something I can do myself. Plus it's pretty fun and you can help out your buddies :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

You guys (I hope) know I linger around in this thread but not being inside the actual wager -- I try to lurk much more than participate. Can't resist sometimes though cause I think we've come to be pretty tight buds. Well this time around I step in to compliment you fellas. First - you all clearly got into this wager as "hos" who all decided to have a laugh while fighting off a little of the "ho" demon - LOL. But what is emerging is that you are sort of growing what constitutes a good club for each of you -- more so than what looks good or is a steal on the web or the used club market.

Its kind of fun to watch and listen. So getting to the point of the compliment - I'm not so sure at the onset of the wager if it was as much about getting an ideal fit as much as it has become now. Going forward - what you "ho" will have a real purpose based on getting you and your equipment matched up in measurable and visible ways. WELL DONE!!!!

Just wish I was as confident in club building. I really respect a patient and thorough club maker - be it a man in his garage or Tom Wishon, or whatever. It is art, science, knowledge, tools, technique, and craftsmanship all rolled into one. I dabbled in it and was just too reckless for my own good - LOL. You should see some of the junk I produced. You guys on the other hand are using those mistakes as a lesson learned - just like the swing itself.

OK.... back I go into the weeds. Thanks boys! You're all just the best thing to tag along with. Stay warm!

Full disclosure here: I'm not participating in the wager here. :D However, as I'm going to be rebuilding an entire bag, I like to test, test, and test some more. One I have my bag the way I like it, save for a rebellious putter or a wedge/grind that is a total misfit, I do NOT like to change much. I feel like if it was good enough to get into the bag in the first place, it's probably not the club when things go astray.

Well thanks for that LP - much appreciated.

I don't quite know all the boys inside the actual wager - but I think most of us here inside this thread have a long standing habit of freely posting and PM'g each other from time to time. It just happens in this case I have no skin in the game so in that sense - when they get into discussing who slipped up or is hanging tough and the like -- at those particular moments I try and stay a little more out of their way. Hee hee - although I did lobby for Pige to get a pass on the wedge thing. (probably shouldn't have but he's a good boy and I hate to see his inner demon get the best of him. LOL).

By way of investing in club fixing equipment - what I'd like to find one day is a bargain basement price on club bending equipment for lie and loft adjustment. I had a small air compressor that finally blew up many years ago - but I'd like to get another one up and running one day to make changing grips a snap. These days I do the old fashioned thing - cutting off the old grip with a knife. I always tense up a little when working on non-steel shaft. I'll be that idiot who slips and carves a giant notch in his driver shaft ruining it - LOL.

Yes sir, everyone's still in. I was "out" for a couple hours, but was "Saved" by a gracious Anonymous Member who got me back in on a technicality. TYVM again to that Member :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1421103273' post='10734835']
Well thanks for that LP - much appreciated.

I don't quite know all the boys inside the actual wager - but I think most of us here inside this thread have a long standing habit of freely posting and PM'g each other from time to time. It just happens in this case I have no skin in the game so in that sense - when they get into discussing who slipped up or is hanging tough and the like -- at those particular moments I try and stay a little more out of their way. Hee hee - although I did lobby for Pige to get a pass on the wedge thing. (probably shouldn't have but he's a good boy and I hate to see his inner demon get the best of him. LOL).

By way of investing in club fixing equipment - what I'd like to find one day is a bargain basement price on club bending equipment for lie and loft adjustment. I had a small air compressor that finally blew up many years ago - but I'd like to get another one up and running one day to make changing grips a snap. These days I do the old fashioned thing - cutting off the old grip with a knife. I always tense up a little when working on non-steel shaft. I'll be that idiot who slips and carves a giant notch in his driver shaft ruining it - LOL.
[/quote]

That's hot I take off taped on grips, a trick I found to take the worry away from slicing a graphite shaft. Take a small flat head screw driver and slip it .5"/.75" up inside the grip, then only cut over the face of the screw driver, then slip it in another half inch, and cut again. I'll upload a picture to better explain myself lol. I have trouble with words, but pics I can do, but this way your only cutting on the flat face of the screw driver and never blade against shaft. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2