2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

There was this 30 mile long "garage sale" locally today. Held every year, the first saturday of May. Found this musty, dusty, rusty bag of hickories that I negotiated for $25.00. Certainly didn't need them but I've become somewhat intrigued with hickories if I could find some for a relatively cheap price. I posted some details about them over in the hickory thread. Trying to ascertain what, if anything, I have here and whether any resto work is going to mess up any value. i know next to nothing about hickories. Otherwise, like to clean them up and hit some balls. The golf buds chuckle when I bring out the persimmons. One can only imagine what they'll do when I roll these out! Also found a real nice Mac JN Muirfield putter for $3. Kind of a Geo Low Wizard looking one. I have very little self restraint. A basic phone pic:

[attachment=2739551:image.jpg]

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1430438157' post='11476471']
MacGregors on kijiji...woods irons and bag for $20. I picked it up. Info on these would be great. The ferrules look amazing and these shafts say "true temper rocket" on a thin green band.[attachment=2737249:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1430437977.181483.jpg][attachment=2737251:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1430437996.376538.jpg][attachment=2737253:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1430438022.262166.jpg][attachment=2737255:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1430438039.012139.jpg][attachment=2737257:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1430438067.110069.jpg]
[/quote]

BOOM! Great score!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1430604488' post='11487397']
There was this 30 mile long "garage sale" locally today. Held every year, the first saturday of May. Found this musty, dusty, rusty bag of hickories that I negotiated for $25.00. Certainly didn't need them but I've become somewhat intrigued with hickories if I could find some for a relatively cheap price. I posted some details about them over in the hickory thread. Trying to ascertain what, if anything, I have here and whether any resto work is going to mess up any value. i know next to nothing about hickories. Otherwise, like to clean them up and hit some balls. The golf buds chuckle when I bring out the persimmons. One can only imagine what they'll do when I roll these out! Also found a real nice Mac JN Muirfield putter for $3. Kind of a Geo Low Wizard looking one. I have very little self restraint. A basic phone pic:

[attachment=2739551:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Fella, All that for $25??? Major Score!!! Is that the Muirfield on the far right? Looks the shaft was replaced with something aluminum???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Yes, Muirfield on right. Lighting in the pic makes it look different. Steel, fluted shaft. Shaft is broken under the original Mac brown leather grip that's still in great shape. Preferably, would like to figure out a method to make the repair without destroying the grip. Thx on the hickories. Wish the guy would have said they were $100. I would have walked away. Now I own 'em and figuring out just what to do with them. Pic makes them look better than they are close up. The leather Wilson bag is beyond salvaging.

Being that it was a rainy day yesterday and the Mrs. was gone, thought I'd spend a few hours fooling with the hickory clubs I mentioned in the above post. They were musty, rusty, and grungy when I began. Started with a several hour soak in CLR. Used #0000 steel wool to clean up the heads. Murphied the shafts and applied this furniture finish restore product that I had on hand to the shafts. Will be applying Spar Urethane (satin) once purchased. Cleaned the grips with saddle soap (will apply Lexol when I pick some up). Used electrical tape on the grip ends, where necessary, to stabilize fraying. I was more than surprised on how they turned out.

Started stripping the coats of paint off the Brassie, the only hickory shafted wood in the mix. Revealed that the club is stamped "Sandy Mac" on the crown. Only info I came up with related to SW's. It's very light weight in the hand. Also, now I know what a spliced shaft/hosel is after removing all the bad whipping. Will reinforce the joint with epoxy before re-whipping. Also, it will receive a new leather grip at a future point. This is my first foray into wood refinishing, whipping (although I used to build fishing rods and wrapping guides onto the blank is essentially the same procedure) and leather grip install.

Note that crazy St. Andrew's bend on the club on the left. At least I think it's suppose to be one rather than just a big shaft warp. Really awkward at address, looking down on it, appears to have a slight offset. The club is an Anderson & Gourley (St. Andrews) "Diamond Iron" with a "2" stamped above it (2 iron ?). Now just need to get out and hit a few balls with them.

[attachment=2744837:image.jpg][attachment=2744843:image.jpg]

And just because, I have this headcover obsession of late. Scrounging around for them on the cheap sure beats buying them new. Thrifted a new, still with tags, set of wool Sunfish in my favorite colors. They're a little long, but the Mrs. thought she could shorten them. Some old school black MacGregor in decent shape. Can never have to many headcovers, change them up like my shirts.

[attachment=2744857:image.jpg]

Finally I've some more Persimmon to share with you all... in very original condition with full cord victory grips, DG S400 shafts and factory head covers. They could do with a little tidy up but nothing too serious. All had for the princely sum of $1.00!

[attachment=2747735:faces.jpg]

[attachment=2747737:soles.jpg]

[attachment=2747741:decal.jpg]

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Well bought Fluffy (understatement)! Where did you find those for a buck? That's criminal. Very classy set of persimmons, look to be in VG shape from this view. Full cord Victories you say, gotta have man hands to handle those grips. Any idea on the vintage? Let's us know your impressions once you hit a few balls with them, if that's your intent.

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1431062689' post='11521143']Finally I've some more Persimmon to share with you all... in very original condition with full cord victory grips, DG S400 shafts and factory head covers. They could do with a little tidy up but nothing too serious. All had for the princely sum of $1.00!

J[/quote]
Where did they come from, then? Not Trade Me, surely?

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1431064800' post='11521211']
Well bought Fluffy (understatement)! Where did you find those for a buck? That's criminal. Very classy set of persimmons, look to be in VG shape from this view. Full cord Victories you say, gotta have man hands to handle those grips. Any idea on the vintage? Let's us know your impressions once you hit a few balls with them, if that's your intent.
[/quote]

Cheers,
I felt guilty only paying a dollar for them.
My guess is that they should be mid 80's assuming that they were released along with the Tour Edition Custom Crafted iron's.
I like full cords, while these grips are playable they have seen much better day's. They will get played, I've been after a suitable 5 wood for some time now and this should do the job nicely ( however it will join the constant arguing between a 1 iron & 4 wood for a spot in the bag).
The driver sets up beautifully at address, it really suits my eye, I won't be able to ignore this one for very long. The static weights aren't too far off from where I like em, I'll be making use of the lead weight ports.
There is no real play damage to these woods, no cracks, no ding's or scratches, really just the poly letting go on the faces and soles, the crowns are near perfect.

J

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1431081321' post='11521501']
[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1431062689' post='11521143']Finally I've some more Persimmon to share with you all... in very original condition with full cord victory grips, DG S400 shafts and factory head covers. They could do with a little tidy up but nothing too serious. All had for the princely sum of $1.00!

J[/quote]
Where did they come from, then? Not Trade Me, surely?
[/quote]

You guessed It!

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1408233299' post='9948845']
Somehow I'd forgotten about these, possibly because I'd been hiding them from the Mrs.....

[attachment=2378053:WOODS.jpg]
[attachment=2378057:WOODS01.jpg]
[attachment=2378059:IRONS.jpg]
[attachment=2378061:HEADS.jpg]

J
[/quote]

They may have been department store clubs, but my folks bought some of these for me - my first set. This would have been in 1978. Was on the Jr. High golf team, and they got me hooked on this great game. Thanks so much for the pictures and bringing back great memories of my two teacher-salaried parents who had to sacrifice who-knows-what to purchase their boy a new set of clubs. Department store or not.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1431064800' post='11521211']
[/quote]

Fella, full Velvet Cord Victory Grips are all I play with. IMHO, they give me the greatest sense of feel and confidence. Love 'EM!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

For better or worse, just bought something on fleabay, should be arriving next week...

Louisville Personal Model driver, with Dynamic X shaft. Last night, I cycled through ebay looking for Xstiff shafted persimmons, and after thinking about it a bit, I found I preferred the look of this one over a Cleveland and MacGregor I'd seen.

I admit I'm excited about the Dynamic X shaft. A stock X from the non-DG, or maybe pre-DG, world intrigues me. :)

A couple pics from the auction for y'all to peruse

Louisville%20Personal%20Model%20X%20pic1_zpsn65zvvzg.jpg

Louisville%20Personal%20Model%20X%20pic3_zpsm57j2ps6.jpg

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Snagged these tonight on eBay for £25.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kool-Cats-irons-by-wood-bros-/331548806008?nma=true&si=W13sHbd%252BsT%252BF4%252F7nuyg3Oclisig%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Not my usual cup of tea in the design stakes (cough *cavity back* cough ...) but £25 for a mint set of Wood Bros Kool Cats 3-PW Endo Forged blah-blah-blah ... how could I resist lol.

Anyone know what year these were? Maybe early 90s ? Also standard specs, list price etc ? Cheers in advance!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

When I found myself with a couple of hours between youth ballgames in an unfamiliar city yesterday I decided to go thrifting. I had not been to any of the Goodwill stores in months, the last few trips having been pretty fruitless. Found several interesting partial sets yesterday, including 1956 Wilson Dynapowers missing only the 8 iron, and a 1963 MacGregor CF4000 missing the 4 and 6. There were also a couple of partial sets of Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons that looked really good, especially one model that I had not seen before that had a very long blade with a shallow height and a wide flange. Also four or five irons of a Wilson Round Up Hy-Power set from the 1930's (I think) with dot punch faces.

If any of these had been full sets I would have had quite the dilemma. The last thing I need is more golf clubs, but how can you turn these down for a buck or two a piece?

...I really need to stay out of these places.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1431640205' post='11560366']
Snagged these tonight on eBay for £25.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kool-Cats-irons-by-wood-bros-/331548806008?nma=true&si=W13sHbd%252BsT%252BF4%252F7nuyg3Oclisig%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url]

Not my usual cup of tea in the design stakes (cough *cavity back* cough ...) but £25 for a mint set of Wood Bros Kool Cats 3-PW Endo Forged blah-blah-blah ... how could I resist lol.

Anyone know what year these were? Maybe early 90s ? Also standard specs, list price etc ? Cheers in advance!
[/quote]

I used to work in the retail golf business in the Chicagoland area in the '90's and I remember when those clubs came out- early '90's vintage is right on the mark. I think they were a bit stronger but nothing crazy, but don't etch that in stone, lol. We were a discount off course specialty store and the Kool Kats were priced in line with all the forged cavity backs of the era- $459.99 would buy you 3-p of any of the following: Staff Progressive or Gooseneck, Ram FX2, Hogan Edge, Kool Kat, Mac JNP forged, etc. The only sets that sold for a premium at that time, as I recall, were the (yuk) original Cally Big Bertha for $499 and the Zing for $549. Either the Berthas or Zings by themselves widely outsold all the forged cavity backs combined. We typically had one set of blades from each mfr. for show with no back stock and rarely sold any at all off the racks.

Back then, Cobra ushered in the current crazy strong loft era with the wildly popular King Cobra and its 43* pw. The gap wedge (50*) concept debuted shortly thereafter as their sw was 56* as even the high cappers that bought them complained about the 13* gap in the bottom of the bag.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Maltby Top Site TS-6  putter 41"

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1431870733' post='11573240']When I found myself with a couple of hours between youth ballgames in an unfamiliar city yesterday I decided to go thrifting. I had not been to any of the Goodwill stores in months, the last few trips having been pretty fruitless. Found several interesting partial sets yesterday, including 1956 Wilson Dynapowers missing only the 8 iron, and a 1963 MacGregor CF4000 missing the 4 and 6. There were also a couple of partial sets of Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons that looked really good, especially one model that I had not seen before that had a very long blade with a shallow height and a wide flange. Also four or five irons of a Wilson Round Up Hy-Power set from the 1930's (I think) with dot punch faces.

If any of these had been full sets I would have had quite the dilemma. The last thing I need is more golf clubs, but how can you turn these down for a buck or two a piece?

...I really need to stay out of these places.[/quote]

How some of us would love the opportunity to say 'nah, I don't need these CF4000s or Dynapowers' ;-)

Have a Hogan E I'm wanting to regrip right now - how do we deal with the dowel problem? Butt extension?

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

There wasn't a shaft extender on the market that would fit the shaft in my DW, so at the suggestion of other club junkies here, I cut one from a junk shaft and epoxied it in. The wood dowel went it an additional inch or so. I took a large sized drill bit and carefully bored out as much of the dowel as I could, then just went at the rest with a miniature semi-circular file. I was able to slowly shave off most of the wood and made it even enough for the extension to go in. I wrapped some tape around it too. There is probably an easier way to do it but I had an improvised work bench set up at the time. All in all it came out okay but I spent several hours on it.

[quote name='persimmonman' timestamp='1432035451' post='11584732']
Picked up a 1959 Wilson Dynapowered sand wedge to go with my '58 dual wedge. Not sure yet if I'll keep the reminder grip and game that or try a regrip and deal with the annoying wood dowel problem.

You're only allowed 14 clubs in the bag, right? .
[/quote]

Beautiful looking Sand Wedge you've got there...congrats on the pickup!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Found these 1972 Hogan Apex blades at a local thrift. Cleaned them up and since I graduated from HS in 1972 I went with a black/gold scheme. I know I violated a rule by doing that but those were my school colors. Apex 3 shafts. Still very playable if your elbows can take it.

[attachment=2764168:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052116.229964.jpg][attachment=2764174:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052193.402753.jpg][attachment=2764178:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052215.244866.jpg][attachment=2764180:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052238.925447.jpg]

[quote name='persimmonman' timestamp='1432045078' post='11585524']
There wasn't a shaft extender on the market that would fit the shaft in my DW, so at the suggestion of other club junkies here, I cut one from a junk shaft and epoxied it in. The wood dowel went it an additional inch or so. I took a large sized drill bit and carefully bored out as much of the dowel as I could, then just went at the rest with a miniature semi-circular file. I was able to slowly shave off most of the wood and made it even enough for the extension to go in. I wrapped some tape around it too. There is probably an easier way to do it but I had an improvised work bench set up at the time. All in all it came out okay but I spent several hours on it.
[/quote]
Thanks!

Yikes?!

Maybe I'll take a sander to the dowel and try to bring it down to shaft thickness instead.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='JMSDKS' timestamp='1432052249' post='11586388']
Found these 1972 Hogan Apex blades at a local thrift. Cleaned them up and since I graduated from HS in 1972 I went with a black/gold scheme. I know I violated a rule by doing that but those were my school colors. Apex 3 shafts. Still very playable if your elbows can take it.

[attachment=2764168:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052116.229964.jpg][attachment=2764174:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052193.402753.jpg][attachment=2764178:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052215.244866.jpg][attachment=2764180:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1432052238.925447.jpg]
[/quote]

Great find on those original Apex blades! I used to caddie for a guy named A.J. Nielsen @ Medinah CC who played those irons. He always hit the ball so well, I think he was a Hoganista before it was cool to be one!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1431543123' post='11553358']
For better or worse, just bought something on fleabay, should be arriving next week...

Louisville Personal Model driver, with Dynamic X shaft. Last night, I cycled through ebay looking for Xstiff shafted persimmons, and after thinking about it a bit, I found I preferred the look of this one over a Cleveland and MacGregor I'd seen.

I admit I'm excited about the Dynamic X shaft. A stock X from the non-DG, or maybe pre-DG, world intrigues me. :)

<pics deleted>
[/quote]

My new toy showed up today, yay me. Weather is a bit spacey today, but I might try hitting the range with it tomorrow....

Looks a bit better than the pics; one of the pics made it seem like it might have a small bit of damage somewhere, but I didn't see anything when I pulled it out of the box.

One of my amigos (the Emperor of all Club Hoes) thinks I'm nuts for buying this. A bit ironic, but funny. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1432054510' post='11586648']
[quote name='persimmonman' timestamp='1432045078' post='11585524']
[/quote]
Thanks!

Yikes?!

Maybe I'll take a sander to the dowel and try to bring it down to shaft thickness instead.
[/quote]

One idea I've toyed with is stripping off the grip and sawing the plastic butt cap off but leaving the rest of the dowel in there and just re gripping over that.

The other problem I had to deal with was that once the dowel was wedged in, the club maker would take a punch to the side of the shaft to secure it.