2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

LIVE From The Nike Golf Vapor Irons Launch Aug 18

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1408497635' post='9969379']
[attachment=2383911:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1408497516.553446.jpg][attachment=2383913:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1408497530.820945.jpg][attachment=2383915:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1408497551.952521.jpg]

Trying to get myself used to the color scheme
[/quote]

How do you like that Mod 60? I am trying to pick myself up one now.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1408505392' post='9970335']
[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1408504532' post='9970251']
<p>Finally! Excuse the fact that this is a rough cut, but you guys will enjoy.

It's Tiger talking about his swing, testing, feel and more. He's as much a gear head as any of us, from look and shape, to offset, traditional lofts, to turf interaction. Enjoy! </p><object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/aSUeb3Ip478?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/aSUeb3Ip478?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
[/quote]

What am I missing? It won't show up for me
[/quote]

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSUeb3Ip478

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Finally! Excuse the fact that this is a rough cut, but you guys will enjoy.

It's Tiger talking about his swing, testing, feel and more. He's as much a gear head as any of us, from look and shape, to offset, traditional lofts, to turf interaction. Enjoy!

[/quote]

This is the first time you've been in front of Tiger in an interview session from this site isn't it?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

All via: https://twitter.com/Not allowed because of spam

BvbpXTUIgAESNGB.jpg

BvbAszQIYAAaCbD.jpg

Nick Watney talking about his mixed set of @nikegolf irons. Will have Speed, Combo, and Pro in his bag.

BvacuTGIcAARqfg.jpg

BvXZRb0IIAEu1xK.jpg

BvXYoxyIMAErbgG.jpg

BvXYDfcIEAIuTdM.jpg

BvXXIqSIUAAEiCP.jpg

1. It's not an insert.
2. Can we use "I statements", please? Such as, "I THINK the black looks cheesy." You realize it doesn't look cheesy to everyone, right?
3. Can we just get an "I Hate the Vapor Irons" thread, and people can post The same old negative comments in there? This thread is pretty good for information, but the negative comments are getting tiresome.

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1408505523' post='9970347']

It's Tiger talking about his swing, testing, feel and more. He's as much a gear head as any of us, from look and shape, to offset, traditional lofts, to turf interaction. Enjoy! </p><object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/aSUeb3Ip478?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/aSUeb3Ip478?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
[/quote]

[/quote]

This.

[/quote]

I could watched 10 hours of Tiger talking shop. Great video!

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1408502115' post='9969959'][quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1408489771' post='9968537']
[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1408487199' post='9968323']
[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1408481056' post='9967693']
Does anyone know why the clubs are so long? The blade PW is 36" when most are 35.75" or even 35.5".
[/quote]

You sure love to hate nike haha. But to argue with ya, they aren't long. Nike measures differently than say titleist. For example, they list their drivers at 45.5, but they are the same size as a 913 driver who says its 45". So I'm assuming it is a standard length pw, similar to titleist.
[/quote]
The means of measurement should be the same regardless of manufacturer. The only question is whether they measure to end of grip or shorter, and Titleist measures to end of grip.

To your specific example, the only way for a Nike 45.5" to be the same length as a Titleist 45" is if Nike measures their drivers completely incorrectly.
[/quote]

No they measure to the middle of the face instead of down the shaft like titleist and others do. I'm not sure there is a standard but I just saw you play titleist so I was just saying the covert driver is the same length as the 913, but one says 45.5 the other says 45.[/quote]
Wouldn't that result in different lengths depending on blade length?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

"The only way for a Nike 45.5" to be the same length as a Titleist 45" is if Nike measures their drivers completely incorrectly."

Because we all know Titleist is the only correct way to measure, their poop smells like roses, and they could probably cured ALS if they wanted.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Funny how people are put off by the cavity or back of the iron. I have to say I play the R7 TP irons and the are the worst looking irons I ever seen from the back but play the best for that class I ever tried. I can't get them out if the bag. It's all about performance not cavity looks. If it looks great from address feels great and performs what difference does it make if the cavity is purple or green?

Team beachbody coach
WITB Link

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1408509040' post='9970657']"The only way for a Nike 45.5" to be the same length as a Titleist 45" is if Nike measures their drivers completely incorrectly."

Because we all know Titleist is the only correct way to measure, their poop smells like roses, and they could probably cured ALS if they wanted.[/quote]
It's been said that others like TM and Mizuno measure along the shaft with a Mitchell Clublength type device. That is the industry standard. If Nike deviates from the industry standard, that is wrong, though not morally wrong as you may want to infer. It's especially bad since they don't tell this to consumers, so people end up ordering the wrong specs, led to believe Nike clubs are longer than they actually are.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

It's Tiger talking about his swing, testing, feel and more. He's as much a gear head as any of us, from look and shape, to offset, traditional lofts, to turf interaction. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/aSUeb3Ip478

[/quote]

Whoa!!!! Your video is probably one of my top three favorite posts ever on WRX. A lot of members on WRX have been waiting years for the moment that WRX would be able to speak to TW. It's pretty awesome stuff to hear him tell those stories and talk about the same things that we talk about on here. He seemed very real and comfortable, for a minute there it seemed like he wasn't going to stop, I bet he can talk equipment all day.

Please tell us more about this, who was asking the questions, how many people were on your side of the table, please show us the behind the scenes footage....

:good:

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1408505523' post='9970347']

It's Tiger talking about his swing, testing, feel and more. He's as much a gear head as any of us, from look and shape, to offset, traditional lofts, to turf interaction. Enjoy! </p><object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/aSUeb3Ip478?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/aSUeb3Ip478?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

[/quote]

[/quote]

This.

[/quote]

What a great video, thank for that

Team beachbody coach
WITB Link

Every time I come back to this thread I like the irons more - and the direction of the brand unity. Cindy Davis is straight up nails... 100% class. You can tell that she is well respected by the athletes as well. I would love to pick her brain sometime and give her my input and compliments. It takes a special person and leader to blend personalities together and create a vision that supports the athletes and the overall brand NIKE. This is not a one pony show. Imagine indirectly competing with other divisions within the company to pull your weight and keep everyone focused on the big picture. NIKE GOLF was more than likely the ugly stepchild of NIKE as well as it was within the golf industry for years. Companies like NIKE and Cobra (thanks to Rickie and people within that are willing to push the envelope) are really taking the game and connecting with our future audience.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1408510166' post='9970727']

[/quote]

Whoa!!!! Your video is probably one of my top three favorite posts ever on WRX. A lot of members on WRX have been waiting years for the moment that WRX would be able to speak to TW. It's pretty awesome stuff to hear him tell those stories and talk about the same things that we talk about on here. He seemed very real and comfortable, for a minute there it seemed like he wasn't going to stop, I bet he can talk equipment all day.

Please tell us more about this, who was asking the questions, how many people were on your side of the table, please show us the behind the scenes footage....

:good:
[/quote]

One person I recognized was David Dusek of Golfweek.

[url="http://golfweek.com/news/2014/aug/19/nike-vapor-irons-vapor-pro-vapor-pro-combo-speed/?For-Your-Game"]http://golfweek.com/.../?For-Your-Game[/url]

[size=4]The Vapor Pro Combo irons blend two different types of clubs to create a single, playable set. Nike said that past Pro Combo sets were designed more for better players, but the company insists this set fits perfectly between the better-player Vapor Pro and the max-game-improvement Vapor Speed irons.[/size]
[size=4]“This is by far the most technically advanced Pro Combo we’ve ever made,” Oldknow said. “We really tried to bring the art and the science together in this.”[/size]
[size=4]The Pro Combo 3- through 7-irons are designed with a spring steel face to help create more ball speed. Their bodies are 1025 carbon steel with a pocket cavity that houses a RZN insert. The insert material is very similar to the resin material used in Nike’s RZN golf ball cores. In the Pro Combo irons, the resin dampens vibrations and allows for 45 grams of discretionary weight to be shifted to the toe area, once again putting the CG location precisely where Nike wanted it.[/size]
[size=4]The 8-iron through Attack Wedge in the Pro Combo set are muscle-cavity clubs made completely from 1025 carbon steel. They are designed to enhance feel and help golfers achieve more accuracy and control.[/size]

[size=4]While the launch angle and spin rates have not changed, Nike claims the new Vapor Pro Combo irons are about 5 yards longer than the VR Forged Pro Combo irons and have a 17 percent higher MOI, making them more stable as well.[/size]

[size=4]With standard True Temper Dynamic Gold Pro shafts, the Vapor Pro Combo irons will cost $1,099.[/size]
[size=4]There is no tungsten in the Vapor Pro irons that become available to the public Oct. 31 (left-hand clubs will be available Nov. 28). They are forged from 1025 carbon steel for soft feel, but the CG position has been shifted to mimic Woods’ irons by removing mass in the heel area and repositioning it in the toe section.[/size]

[size=4]“What we also found is that by thickening the body (in the toe section), we reduced vibrations in the top-toe area, which made a better-feeling product and made it sound different, which made it perform better,” Oldknow said.[/size]

[size=4]He went on to say the Vapor Pro irons, which will cost $999 with True Temper Dynamic Gold shafts, produce about 1.7 yards more distance and feature a moment of inertia (MOI) that is 10 percent higher than the VR Pro Blades they replace. But make no mistake, these are designed for fast-swinging elite players who want to maximize control and feel. The clubs are not intended to be as powerful or forgiving as the other models in the Vapor line.[/size]

[size=4]For players who want to maximize distance and forgiveness, Nike introduced the Vapor Speed irons. Nate Radcliffe, Nike Golf’s director of engineering, said, “When we thought about what we were trying to do with this product, it’s about distance and speed, as the name suggests.”[/size]

[size=4]The long irons (3-7) are hollow-bodied, wood-like clubs. Internal weight has been shifted to the back and toe areas to move the CG position down and away from the hitting area. This promotes a higher ball flight and more forgiveness.[/size]
[size=4]The long irons also were given a forged, NexCOR face design (like the face in the Covert 2.0 woods) that is 2.7 millimeters thick in the center and 2.2 millimeters thick around the edges.[/size]

[size=4]Nike calls the two posts found on the back of the clubs Fly Beams. They are designed to make the back of the club more solid, allowing the face to flex more efficiently at impact.[/size]
[size=4]The 8-iron through Attack Wedge are less focused on distance and more geared to enhancing feel. They feature a large RZN insert, like the insert in the Pro Combo long irons. It dampens vibrations and enhances feel on approach shots.[/size]

[size=4]“One of the things that we’re really proud of is when you look down at these short iron, they have a traditional blade profile,” Radcliffe said. “What we’ve done, in working from the blades out and working with Tiger, is apply that to our game-improvement products.”[/size]

[size=4]The Vapor Speed irons will come standard with either True Temper DynaLite 105 steel shafts for $959.99 or Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki Z graphite shafts for $1,079.99.[/size]

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1408512666' post='9970827']

While the launch angle and spin rates have not changed, Nike claims the new Vapor Pro Combo irons are about 5 yards longer than the VR Forged Pro Combo irons and have a 17 percent higher MOI, making them more stable as well.

[/quote]

As someone who gamed the VRS Forged but "wanted" to play the Pro Combos, this is great news. :smilie_nike::clapping:

WITB Link

[quote name='drew1527' timestamp='1408501515' post='9969891']
Anyone with photoshop skills wanna make some changes to the 2.0 driver to match the new vapor irons.

Gloss black crown
White cavity
"Covert and swoosh" volt green
"Vrs" colored white

[attachment=2384003:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1408501509.672425.jpg]
[/quote]

Just a quick mockup.

Are nike touting the "modern muscle" effect, of moving the CofG to the centre, as something new to the industry or just new to them?

“We had this idea, if we moved the CG towards the center of the face that it would have more impact and more mass right behind the golf ball.” Tiger Woods said. “And it worked. I was able to hit the ball a little bit further, it came off more solid and the amazing thing is the ball flew better.”

It has been done before...

TaylorMade SLDR 430 Driver, 10°, MRC Diamana B-Series 60-X (from TM European Tour Van)
Nike VR Pro LE 3-wood (Tour Issue 1-dot head), 15°, MRC Diamana Kai' li 70-X
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19°, UST Axivcore Tour Blue 80-X
Titleist 670 Forged Blades 3-PW, FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 52° FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 56° FM Precision Project-X Satin 6.5
Scotty Cameron JAT Prototype (Circle-T) or
Nike Oven "DF" 006 Prototype

Tiger said "We" as in Nike. New to them since they never had them in any irons before, until now.

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1408527032' post='9971103']
Tiger said "We" as in Nike. New to them since they never had them in any irons before, until now.
[/quote]
The phrasing "we had this idea" makes it sound like they invented it.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='danielpgafrancis' timestamp='1408522152' post='9971021']
Are nike touting the "modern muscle" effect, of moving the CofG to the centre, as something new to the industry or just new to them?

"We had this idea, if we moved the CG towards the center of the face that it would have more impact and more mass right behind the golf ball." Tiger Woods said. "And it worked. I was able to hit the ball a little bit further, it came off more solid and the amazing thing is the ball flew better."

[/quote]

I used to game those ZMs lol.

Yeah this is nothing new but it is clever marketing. It isn't easy to come up with truly original ideas at this point.

[quote name='danielpgafrancis' timestamp='1408522152' post='9971021']

"We had this idea, if we moved the CG towards the center of the face that it would have more impact and more mass right behind the golf ball." Tiger Woods said. "And it worked. I was able to hit the ball a little bit further, it came off more solid and the amazing thing is the ball flew better."

[/quote]

Did Titleist drop this after that model or continue doing it?

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon