2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My dad can't golf due to health. I’d like to get him a Get Well card. Can you help? Thanks!

I hope this reaches a PGA player or two who will take a few moments out of their day to write their best wishes to a man who loves golf almost as much as anything else in the world, and who shared that love with me and many others over the past 40 years.

So my dad is 71 years old, and was recently diagnosed with a severe form of emphysema. It is late-stage, and he was put on an oxygen supply 24/7. Because of this, at least in the foreseeable future, he cannot again play this wonderful game that he loves so much. He's played two round a week for as long as I have been alive, which is 34 years. And I know he was bitten by the golf bug much earlier than that. He's watched almost every major tournament for 35+ years, and has attended a fair share in person.

But more than that, he loves playing the game, studying techniques, and learning everything there is to know about it. He also taught me almost everything i know about the game, its history, the great players, and about how to live golf in my life. He taught me etiquette at a very early age. He paid for lessons when I was first learning. He took me to the range every Saturday from the time I was 5 years old until he and my mom divorced when I was 17. He enrolled me in a Nike golf school, came to all my high school tournaments, and supported me when I tried (but failed) to pass the PGA PAT to get my teaching card. But most of all, he took me to play with him whenever I wanted, which, looking back I wish I had asked to go more often. In short--he is a GOLFER through and through.

So this morning, when he told me that he was put on oxygen 24/7, he didn't really waver. But when he told me he couldn't golf, his voice broke, and my heart broke with him. Now, he told me that this may be a temporary problem. I am not sure whether he's trying to protect me, or trying to be an optimist, but all I know is that he has a very serious condition. He's going to try an experimental procedure that might help his existing healthy lung tissue work more effectively, but it may not work at all. Who knows?

Either way, I'd like to do something for him that shows how much I appreciate all he's done for me in instilling a love for this game in me. And frankly, I'd like to try to cheer him up. I thought having a signed card or something might make his day.

So, my question/request is if any of you know a way to get in touch with a PGA tour pro who might be willing to send a note my dad's way, I would forever be grateful and in your debt.

Thank you in advance.

p.s. I can PM my address (or my dad's) if you think you can make the connection.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='djpolymath' timestamp='1408401540' post='9959349']

[size=4][color=#000000]I hope this reaches a PGA player or two who will take a few moments out of their day to write their best wishes to a man who loves golf almost as much as anything else in the world, and who shared that love with me and many others over the past 40 years.[/color]

[color=#000000]So my dad is 71 years old, and was recently diagnosed with a severe form of emphysema. It is late-stage, and he was put on an oxygen supply 24/7. Because of this, at least in the foreseeable future, he cannot again play this wonderful game that he loves so much. He's played two round a week for as long as I have been alive, which is 34 years. And I know he was bitten by the golf bug much earlier than that. He's watched almost every major tournament for 35+ years, and has attended a fair share in person.[/color]

[color=#000000]But more than that, he loves playing the game, studying techniques, and learning everything there is to know about it. He also taught me almost everything i know about the game, its history, the great players, and about how to live golf in my life. He taught me etiquette at a very early age. He paid for lessons when I was first learning. He took me to the range every Saturday from the time I was 5 years old until he and my mom divorced when I was 17. He enrolled me in a Nike golf school, came to all my high school tournaments, and supported me when I tried (but failed) to pass the PGA PAT to get my teaching card. But most of all, he took me to play with him whenever I wanted, which, looking back I wish I had asked to go more often. In short--he is a GOLFER through and through.[/color]

[color=#000000]So this morning, when he told me that he was put on oxygen 24/7, he didn't really waver. But when he told me he couldn't golf, his voice broke, and my heart broke with him. Now, he told me that this may be a temporary problem. I am not sure whether he's trying to protect me, or trying to be an optimist, but all I know is that he has a very serious condition. He's going to try an experimental procedure that might help his existing healthy lung tissue work more effectively, but it may not work at all. Who knows?[/color]

[color=#000000]Either way, I'd like to do something for him that shows how much I appreciate all he's done for me in instilling a love for this game in me. And frankly, I'd like to try to cheer him up. I thought having a signed card or something might make his day.[/color]

[color=#000000]So, my question/request is if any of you know a way to get in touch with a PGA tour pro who might be willing to send a note my dad's way, I would forever be grateful and in your debt.[/color]
[color=#000000]Thank you in advance.[/color]
[color=#000000]p.s. I can PM my address (or my dad's) if you think you can make the connection.[/color][/size]
[/quote]

Sending good thoughts to your Dad that he still has many more rounds on the links and for bring a passion to the game that was passed on to you.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1408401784' post='9959375']
[quote name='djpolymath' timestamp='1408401540' post='9959349']
[color=#000000]I hope this reaches a PGA player or two who will take a few moments out of their day to write their best wishes to a man who loves golf almost as much as anything else in the world, and who shared that love with me and many others over the past 40 years.[/color]

[color=#000000]So my dad is 71 years old, and was recently diagnosed with a severe form of emphysema. It is late-stage, and he was put on an oxygen supply 24/7. Because of this, at least in the foreseeable future, he cannot again play this wonderful game that he loves so much. He's played two round a week for as long as I have been alive, which is 34 years. And I know he was bitten by the golf bug much earlier than that. He's watched almost every major tournament for 35+ years, and has attended a fair share in person.[/color]

[color=#000000]But more than that, he loves playing the game, studying techniques, and learning everything there is to know about it. He also taught me almost everything i know about the game, its history, the great players, and about how to live golf in my life. He taught me etiquette at a very early age. He paid for lessons when I was first learning. He took me to the range every Saturday from the time I was 5 years old until he and my mom divorced when I was 17. He enrolled me in a Nike golf school, came to all my high school tournaments, and supported me when I tried (but failed) to pass the PGA PAT to get my teaching card. But most of all, he took me to play with him whenever I wanted, which, looking back I wish I had asked to go more often. In short--he is a GOLFER through and through.[/color]

[color=#000000]So this morning, when he told me that he was put on oxygen 24/7, he didn't really waver. But when he told me he couldn't golf, his voice broke, and my heart broke with him. Now, he told me that this may be a temporary problem. I am not sure whether he's trying to protect me, or trying to be an optimist, but all I know is that he has a very serious condition. He's going to try an experimental procedure that might help his existing healthy lung tissue work more effectively, but it may not work at all. Who knows?[/color]

[color=#000000]Either way, I'd like to do something for him that shows how much I appreciate all he's done for me in instilling a love for this game in me. And frankly, I'd like to try to cheer him up. I thought having a signed card or something might make his day.[/color]

[color=#000000]So, my question/request is if any of you know a way to get in touch with a PGA tour pro who might be willing to send a note my dad's way, I would forever be grateful and in your debt.[/color]
[color=#000000]Thank you in advance.[/color]
[color=#000000]p.s. I can PM my address (or my dad's) if you think you can make the connection.[/color]
[/quote]

Sending good thoughts to your Dad that he still has many more rounds on the links and for bring a passion to the game that was passed on to you.
[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words.

Welcome to the forum!!

Thoughts & Prayers My friend,

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 4 weeks later...

My father-in-law had to quit the game for health reasons, and he was a big Arnie fan. I was fortunate to be at a small social gathering with Arnie, and got him to autograph one of his books to my Father-in-law. It became one of his proudest possessions, always sitting on the coffee table in full site and he would gleefully show it off to anyone who visited.

If your father is an Arnie fan, you might pick some piece of appropriate memorabilia or book and send to Arnie for his signature. He'll gladly sign anything sent to him, but do the courtesy of including packaging and prepaid return shipping. I recently sent him a Masters flag to sign, and got it back a couple weeks after I mailed it. Just send it to his attention at Bay Hill.