2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Average golfers with D8 swing weight irons??

Hi there non-pro golf world

Just a sanity check - are other ordinary golfers playing with D8 swing weight irons. My friend is 22hcp, 200cm tall, has plus 1' R300 shafts on Mizuno 800 pro (normal heads not the light heads) at D8 (I think). His SS is not high 95mph with the driver.

Is this crazy or fairly typical?

Cheers

I am 6'2" tall and play Pings + 1/2". The 5i thru LW progress from D5-E0, I am a lower capper though

Pings use diff weighted heads and weight ports to get the swingweight you want even if the shafts are overlength

Heavy is a personal preference but at his level it may be making it harder. Mizuno is usually D2 I believe so they may have taken a stock set and dropped in longer shafts. R300's at D8 and plus 1" will be more like seniors flex I believe

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 9 months later...

I'm at +1/2", D6-E0. I did the binary search thing with some lead tape over a week to settle into that. I really like it, if anything I might go even heavier. If I were forced to play SW matched I'd look around D8.

One things for sure I do not like lighter heads. [size=4]I bought this driving iron that was at D0. Garbage to swing. About 10 strips of lead tape up to D5 and I'm able to feel it there, get a good set / pause and hit it properly. It's all personal preference, the SW number is just a reference point. Moe played E0-E3 I believe and Hogans' clubs were known to be quite heavy.[/size]

[size=4]FWIW ... I'm 32, playing bogey golf but hitting the irons well. I'm about average strength I guess. "I'm not tryin to be the best at exercise." I swing the 6 iron at 96. It's just 1 out of 3 shots find target, 2/3 miss left or right. I am also the worst putter in the world all season. Seriously I'm about to go snap every putter I have. Drastic action[/size]

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Im an 18 cap with X hots and Razr fit extreme D 3 + 5W all at D5. Best thing I ever did.

I have D8 in my current Apex's but I am having these adjusted and bought down(up?) to D5. I found them way too heavy in the swing and struggled to keep control of the head as well as knowing where in my swing the head was.

I don't think Height nor shaft length are relevant to what swing weight he should have. The weight, from my understanding, is all about how you swing and load the club and knowing where it all is in the swing.

I could be wrong.

I preferred a D-4 swing weight over the usual off the rack swing weights. D-5 in my wedges.

I have always done heavy work, and couldn't feel the head of the club sometimes, especially in cool weather.

But, you have to be careful going up as high as D-8, because it will effect the kick point in the shaft, make the shaft feel dead, or totally change the torque values of the shaft. Going with a heavier shaft might be better than slamming all that weight down in the hosel.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1436863773' post='11944604']
[quote name='Enfynet' timestamp='1436850957' post='11944276']
Longer clubs have higher swing weights.
[/quote]

Yes - and D8 is not really that surprising at all for a +1" build.
[/quote]

Swing weight is the balance of the club. You can build you a +1" club have have you at D-0 if you really wanted to. Adding weight to the butt end will offset weight at the head end when it is scaled.

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1436865300' post='11944622']
[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1436863773' post='11944604']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Swing weight is the balance of the club. You can build you a +1" club have have you at D-0 if you wanted to. Adding weight to the butt end will offset the added length when it is scaled.
[/quote][quote name='Upstonhooper' timestamp='1410870747' post='10125395']
Hi there non-pro golf world

Just a sanity check - are other ordinary golfers playing with D8 swing weight irons. My friend is 22hcp, 200cm tall, has plus 1' R300 shafts on Mizuno 800 pro (normal heads not the light heads) at D8 (I think). His SS is not high 95mph with the driver.

Is this crazy or fairly typical?

Cheers
[/quote]

D-8 in a regular shafts? The ball will be 30 yards down range while the shaft is still trying to unload. What is his ball flight saying?

Swing weight is the balance of the club. You can build you a +1" club have have you at D-0 if you really wanted to. Adding weight to the butt end will offset weight at the head end when it is scaled.
[/quote]

I didn't say anything about what can and can not be done. Take a standard head weight, standard grip, and a shaft that balances fairly standard like DG's and build it 1" over (as most factories will do if they don't have lightweight heads available) and you'll easily get close to D8.

The offset from heavier grips will only show up on the scale. In reality, it has no effect on the effort to swing the club (MOI) and in fact makes the static weight even heavier. Not generally a good idea for a club that might be too heavy to begin with. If you really want to lower the SW (w/ minimal change in static weight), you need to reduce the head weight and/or find a shaft that has a higher balance point.

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1436865953' post='11944634']
D-8 in a regular shafts? The ball will be 30 yards down range while the shaft is still trying to unload. What is his ball flight saying?
[/quote]

Swingweight doesn't tell us anything about what will happen to the flex of the shaft. D8 at +1" (fairly standard head weights) will have a very different impact on the flex (very little softening - not even noticeable to most) than D8 at standard lengths (very heavy head weights and a lot more softening of the shaft - almost soft stepping x2).

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1436866967' post='11944656']
[/quote]

I didn't say anything about what can and can not be done. Take a standard head weight, standard grip, and a shaft that balances fairly standard like DG's and build it 1" over (as most factories will do if they don't have lightweight heads available) and you'll easily get close to D8.

The offset from heavier grips will only show up on the scale. In reality, it has no effect on the effort to swing the club (MOI) and in fact makes the static weight even heavier. Not generally a good idea for a club that might be too heavy to begin with. If you really want to lower the SW (w/ minimal change in static weight), you need to reduce the head weight and/or find a shaft that has a higher balance point.

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1436865953' post='11944634']
[/quote]

Swingweight doesn't tell us anything about what will happen to the flex of the shaft. D8 at +1" (fairly standard head weights) will have a very different impact on the flex (very little softening - not even noticeable to most) than D8 at standard lengths (very heavy head weights and a lot more softening of the shaft - almost soft stepping x2).
[/quote]

I understand that. That is why I asked about the ball flight. That is the tell all.

• 7 years later...
On 7/14/2015 at 12:49 AM, Stuart_G said:

[/quote]

True dat.

Ive played Nike VR combos and added shaft extension to all irons.

Brought my swing weight from D-1 to D-6 throughout the set…6-P.

Best feeling, playing irons Ive ever owned.

Regret selling them though technology has helped me a bit since.

• Like 1