2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Orange Whip Swing Trainer Results!!!

c3wdd

So you've seen the Orange Whip in PGA tour golf bags. You've noticed PGA tour pros carry the Orange Whip like it's another club in their bag. Maybe you've even attended a PGA tour even and have personally seen the Orange Whip. What's all the fuss?

Hit the rewind button to the 2012 PGA Show in Orlando Florida. As I'm roaming the floor I stumble upon Jim Hackenburg, inventor of the Orange Whip. I'm killing time so I decide to start up a conversation. I explain to Jim that at 43 my swing speed has slowed about 5 mph from it's peak and in addition I'm less flexible that when I was in my 30s. I'm a plus 2 handicap and a good ball striker. In 2012 my Driver swing speed hovered around 105. Jim looks me in the eye and proceeds to take me over to an area of the PGA show where we can work together and discuss the golf swing. You see Jim is a teacher by trade. When a teacher has a chance to teach, they don't miss out on the chance.

Jim informs me that he made a prototype of the Orange Whip when he was teaching students and his students began to ask were they could purchase one. That's when he decided to go into business.

Jim hands me an Orange Whip and asks me to get stretched out. We start out very slow; small swings 1/2 swings, 3/4 swings, then full swings but at a slow pace. He instructs me to start the orange whip at the address position and move it 12 inches in front of the ball, then slowly draw the club back to the top and swing through the ball. If you've watched a lot of TV Golf you've probably seen Davis Love III do this type of pre-shot routine in the past.

Here are a few qualities I notice about the Orange Whip Swing Trainer. First, it's pretty heavy. I was swinging the 1.75lb model which measures 47.5 inches. It's a good fit for me as I'm 6 feet in height. As you swing the club back, you can feel an incredible stretch even at the start. Jim's advice was to take your time and get really loose before taking a full swing. Second, the end of the club is counterbalanced. This makes a huge difference and is why the Orange Whip is unique. If you want to purchase a SKLZ swing trainer, it will not be counterbalanced as this part of the Orange Whip's proprietary design. To me, this promotes a realistic release and the bottom and won't mess up your golf swing. Finally, the Orange Whip is really flexible and doesn't allow you to rush from the top of the swing; essentially you end up swinging fast in all the right places.

Here's the surprising part. Jim looks me in the eye with great conviction and says, "If you swing this frequently during the week and incorporate the things I've shown you, you'll get back the 5mph and your range of motion in just a few months." The Orange Whip leaves the PGA show with a new owner sold on what I felt when I worked with Jim that day.

Over the next two months I swing the Orange Whip about 4 times a week in the yard and at the golf course on the range before practice sessions. Here are the results:

• After the first few weeks, I personally felt more flexible. My range of motion improved.
  • The club felt more stable at the top of the swing.
  • I tend to over swing......GONE!!......you can't over swing the Orange Whip or you'll be in trouble. The Orange Whip provides immediate feedback.
  • The club feels lighter in my hands.
  • My neighbor stops and says, "What in the hell are you doing with that thing in your hand?"
  • On the course, I shoot my personal best 69 during the spring after starting the Orange Whip. Yes I had shot 69 in the past year but never did it feel so easy and in control and I hadn't scored that well in 12 months.

Now for the real test. Had my club head speed increased? Off to Golfsmith to see the results on their monitor. After getting loose and a few practice balls, my swing speed had consistently increased 3 mph. However, that's not the best part. I felt so in control of the club head, my smash factor had gone up several points too.

Fast Forward to the present. It's now 2 years later and you wonder what's up with the current status of the Orange Whip. Well, we began selling the Orange Whip for Jim Hackenburg in our Golf Shop. I wanted my customers to have this product.

I still use the Orange Whip on a weekly basis and the course I play doesn't have a range so before a round of golf I can be found swinging the orange whip for about 5 minutes. It allows me to exit the car and be on the first tee full loose without a bucket of balls. My top swing speed is up about 5 mph which has equated to 10-15 yards on the course.

The Orange Whip is the only thing which hasn't left my bag. In two years, with the exception of my putter, I've rotated everything out of the bag. However, the Orange Whip Swing Trainer remains.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1414512813' post='10362393']
Is the OP an investor in the Orange Whip? Looks like cut and paste website info.
[/quote]I don't know but the two topics they've started they haven't failed to mention their Golf Chotzkies eBay store.

Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green

Titleist 915H 20° - Diamana Blue 70 S
Cobra AMP Forged (4-PW) - KBS Tour S+
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°/54°/58° - TTDG Spinner Tour
Seemore Nashville mFGP Blade

Everyone, despite the replies, this product has truly helped my game. It's a great product which has helped my friends too. I've removed my Company name.
Go buy it from orange whip, Golfsmith, whomever. It will help your game too if you have specific needs like mine as expressed in the post.
Hope it helps others who may be on the fence concerning the purchase and need a little physical help in the form of a trainer. Best Regards.

C3wdd,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Can you give me some thoughts on how you were able to help your game using the Orange Whip? I have read other threads on this product but I still don't understand how to get anything out of it.

I have one; I have used it a bit but never noticed the benefits that you have noticed. Am I doing something wrong, is it because I am a 50 year old 20 HC that has a poor driver swing to begin with?

I was able to swing the club using a very loose, slow, long swing. That probably will increase my flexibility if used periodically.

Do you swing it as fast as possible to gain swing speed, as one might swing a weighted club?

What drills do you do to increase smash factor?

You have to commit to using it for several months but I really don't think you should or have to swing it as fast as you can. You should focus on swinging the whip efficiently I work out 2-3 days a week with weights to it helped me to incorporate the whip in between sets. I would use the whip to make a deliberate backswing and only moderately swing through impact but I would intentionally speed up at the bottom where it matters most. The whip would throw me into a full finish due to the weight. I wouldn't swing it as fast as I could but focus more on my control of the whip. As I gained more control, this is what lead to increased quality at impact and a resulting improvement in my smash factor. Also, I incorporated 5-6 swings with the orange whip and then I would make 5-6 swings with my club, followed by 5-6 swings at a quick pace with very light club I own in order to encourage, speed, control, and a normal feel with my club. I used to teach golf years and years ago so when I find something which works, I like to share it. Also, you can watch several videos on YouTube on the drills you may seek. This is just one cooks recipe. Good luck.

Sorry, I don't buy it, to me, this is another golf gimmick. Just like that overspin putter "with front-wheel drive" :lol:

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

What is the difference in the orange whip and the Momentus wooosh trianer.

-------------------
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor flex driver Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 wood stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike covert flex 5 wood Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 hybrid stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor pro combo ust recoil 110 5-pw[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage square 52 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage toesweep 60 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike Converge S2-12[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Sun mountain h2no lite[/background][/size][/font][/color]

I'm sure it's like most training aids. they work for some people and not for others.Like all things I believe a person has to have an open mind or nothing will work for you. Just my 2 cents.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Exactly, what works for one doesn't always work for another. One of the things I always look for is what the PGA tour pros do when they aren't paid to use a product. For example, if a Titleist tour pro plays a Callaway three wood, it's probably a great club regardless of what Titleist develops. You will find the Orange Whip in PGA tour players bags even though they aren't paid to use the product.

I'm an orange whip user. I swing it as often as I can and always before I hit the range or first tee. It's a great tempo trainer but where I really find the most value is in properly transitioning into the downswing. Each piece of the swing is exaggerated and slowed down.

The OP may be plugging something he's financially tied to but this thing flat out works for me and I will NEVER take it out of my bag.

I have one and use it often during the season. It's great to warm up with before a round. But I also found it beneficial to swing fast as a work out regiment to gain speed and work out the fast twitch muscles and hips used in my golf swing.It really is a great training tool and helped me learn to hold my lag longer. That and the speed gained by swinging it helped me gain yardage on the course. No joke.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

I have the Skillz knock off version of the Orange whip. I have never swung the Orange whip, but I can say that the Skillz version has helped me with my tempo for sure. I tend to get quick from the top, but a few swings of the Skillz version and I am back to a smoother, flowing, swing. I use it as a tempo aid, and it has helped me for sure.

Did you all know there's an Orange Whip putter...?!

I'm a huge fan of the whip. Great for warming up with slow swings and also great for overspeed training at the end of a range session. Swing the whip as fast as you can several times and then switch to driver and do the same....without a ball of course...or hell, why not with a ball...!

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

I don't know if the people knocking the Orange Whip have used one or not, but I think its really a great tool. Like others have said, it helps with my tempo, smooths out my transition, and really encourages a proper sequence in order to swing it effectively. For me, everything feels exaggerated, and slowed down a bit, so I can try to feel how my body is working. During a normal swing, I just don't have the body awareness in order to feel what parts of my body are moving. It also helps with keeping the club on plane.

OP, there is another thread on this board about the orange whip already.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

I've used the OWT from time to time when my swing and accuracy seems off. Before the next round, I will do some work with it. Afterwards during the next round I just seem to swing better netting decent results. Translates well to both woods and irons. As others have mentioned it keeps you from getting quick from the top and smooths out the swing through the ball. It has happened too many times for it to be all in my head at this point.

Titleist TSR3 10° Tour AD UB 6s // TS2 15° Tour AD UB 7s // 913F 19º w/ Kai'li 70s

Titleist U505 3i, T100 4-P (2021) w/ $-Taper 115

Nike VR 52.10º & 58.10º w/ KBS 610 

SC 2014 Select Newport 

ProV1 '23